Bikers Festival @Spa

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Bikers Festival @Spa

Post by Picci »

Some freak accident happened at Spa earlier today at an event which included former riders. I understand an 84 year old passed away when a rider failed to brake in time on the start line and knocked down other riders in the process. Any further news on this?

https://m.gpone.com/en/2023/08/15/news/ ... html?amp=1
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Picci wrote: 8 months ago Some freak accident happened at Spa earlier today at an event which included former riders. I understand an 84 year old passed away when a rider failed to brake in time on the start line and knocked down other riders in the process. Any further news on this?

https://m.gpone.com/en/2023/08/15/news/ ... html?amp=1
My understanding is it was the 84 year old (deceased) who failed to stop for the start line and crashed into others. He died at the scene and there were other injuries (4 injured others mentioned). There has been a suggestion that the 84 year sufered a medical episode which led to him not stopping at the start line.
Fatal accident at the Spa-Francorchamps Bikers Festival
News
An 84-year-old German participant ran over the group before the parade started and lost his life
from GPOne.com

I have found a website for the event but it seems to only talk of good news at the event.In fact nothing much at all dated after 10th August. https://bikersfestival.be/en/

From articles on the above website it strikes me the event is one where enthusiasts can meet at Spa and like a type of track day can get supervised track timealong with demonstration events. This article describes the format of the event. https://bikersfestival.be/en/concurrent/bikersclassics/

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 8 months ago
Picci wrote: 8 months ago Some freak accident happened at Spa earlier today at an event which included former riders. I understand an 84 year old passed away when a rider failed to brake in time on the start line and knocked down other riders in the process. Any further news on this?

My understanding is it was the 84 year old (deceased) who failed to stop for the start line and crashed into others. He died at the scene and there were other injuries (4 injured others mentioned). There has been a suggestion that the 84 year sufered a medical episode which led to him not stopping at the start line.
Fatal accident at the Spa-Francorchamps Bikers Festival
News
An 84-year-old German participant ran over the group before the parade started and lost his life
from GPOne.com

I have found a website for the event but it seems to only talk of good news at the event.In fact nothing much at all dated after 10th August. https://bikersfestival.be/en/

From articles on the above website it strikes me the event is one where enthusiasts can meet at Spa and like a type of track day can get supervised track timealong with demonstration events. This article describes the format of the event. https://bikersfestival.be/en/concurrent/bikersclassics/

More details on this tragedy,
......which seems to have been more to do with an organisational stuff up according to this report. Initially it seemed like the 84 yo deceased (Gunther Knuppertz) had perhaps suffered a medical condition and he rode into the bikes. Now it suggests an organisational mix up had a rider aqrrive expecting a clear track, that bike striking the stationary bike of the deceased
Spa Fatal Crash: Bikers Festival Classic, racing motorcycle collector deceased

The tragedy occurred on August 13 in the late afternoon in Belgium, on the extremely treacherous track of Spa-Francorchampswhere it was taking place Bikers Festival Classic, one of the most prestigious European historical re-enactments for vintage motorcycles. The accident occurred on the old starting line of the circuit. Some pilots they were lining up on the grid to start the lap of honour, when a motorcycle suddenly arriving at full speed caused a tragic 3-in-a-row, involving four other motorcycles that were stationary. The German was the worst Gunther Knuppertz, 84 years old. In the terrifying impact, the helmet he was wearing also broke. He fared better than another who instead suffered a fractured pelvis. All the pilots involved are foreigners and none of them are Italian.

Controversy against the organizers

This dramatic and very serious collision was probably caused by an unjustifiable misunderstanding between the organizers and the conductors. Some pilots had been lined up directly from the pits while others had covered a complete lap and, having reached speed, on the starting line, which is downhill, they found themselves facing other pilots who were stopped for the usual photos of the parade closing of the event. Thus, those who had completed the lap arrived at very high speed on the starting line, thinking they would find the track clear and so the catastrophe was. Knuppertz, who was stationary with his former Superbike Aprilia RSV4 1000, was bumped into by another German conductor.
https://news.italy24.press/trends/782112.html

Additional info on the deceased

Who was Gunther Knuppertz
Gunther was one of the wealthiest European collectors, a big man 1.90 meters tall, well-liked and highly appreciated by the whole vintage world of motorcycle re-enactments. A former entrepreneur, he lived in northern Germany where he had an industry that produced highly sophisticated camshafts. His motorcycle collection, mainly racing, was amazing, as well as precious. Very important motorcycles, including one MV Augusta 500 4 cylinders, a very rare one Benelli 250 4 cylinders, one Yamaha 500 ex Lawsona Kawasaki that had competed in MotoGP, a Ducati Desmosedici ex Capirossi and more. He took care of all of them as his children and in the garage of his mega-villa in northern Germany he even had a test bench to test the engines and optimise their tuning.

“It is a great loss for the world of collecting – Alessandro Altinier, one of the most important European vintage motorcycle dealers, as well as a regular visitor to historical re-enactments and auctions, is keen to underline – Gunther was a wonderful person, kind and very polite , as well as very competent and always available to attend and exhibit his jewels in all the most important European events in which he was always accompanied by his wife. His elegant presence will be greatly missed.” At the Bikers Festival Classic on August 13th he was present in which, among others, Giacomo Agostini was there, who had brought many MV Agustas with him. His and those of the late Ubaldo Elli, who in the 1980s had taken over the bikes from the Cascina Costa experience department from EFIM.
https://news.italy24.press/trends/782112.html

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always