Tablet Gaming GPL

Discussion and releases for the 1998 racing simulation by Sierra/Papyrus
ROOKIE4EVER

Tablet Gaming GPL

Post by ROOKIE4EVER »

Before on the previous forum. For those who might be interested, here's the summary :

-----------------------------
twinpotter - 13.11.2015

I have just purchased a Tablet for mobile use whilst I am away from home.While using this for my work based activities,ie Microsoft office,Emails and Shopping,LOL! I wanted to use the tablet for a little gpl gaming whilst away from home.I didn't want to go with a Android based system as I felt that overkill due to my Android cell phone.So I have bought a simple bottom of the range Connect Tablet from a local shopping Superstore here in the UK.It is fitted with Windows 10 and as I said very basic.

See my previous thread on my initial idea:

https://web.archive.org/web/20151026181 ... opic=11045

So off I went and installed gpl 2004 demo.On the first install attempt I went into the game and all the menu tabs,options ,player and controller set up tabs were unresponsive.There seemed to be a definite lag.I don't know if it was to do with the Tablet structure,background programmes or simply the Windows 10 OS?(Now all menu's are fine and responsive?)

So I uninstalled that first attempt, then a couple of days later I said to myself "That's not the attitude" LOL!
So I decided to re-install the gpl2004 demo.This time even though the lag was still there in the menu's, I managed to get the game running.At first I got a small window appear so I went off and installed the V2 Rasterisers.Picking Direct 3d V2 didn't work for me, but Open GL V2 did.I then installed the letterbox patch and GEM,even though I am only going to run 67's and no mods.I also installed Digital Display Modifier and also tried Pribluda, but they don't show up onscreen in Openglv2?
The other main problem is the resolution.It looks very crisp and runs flawlessly but I cant get above 1024x768 and my native res for the tablet is higher at 1280x800.In gpl I only have 1024x768 res as highest option.When I try to go higher through GEM it goes back to 640x480 and wont save any higher than 1024x768, so that's what I have settled for.Don't get me wrong it looks great,runs great and is as smooth as a babies bum.LOL! But it would be great to go higher though? I have also installed Dosbox to run GP2 and GPM2 on standalone windows install, which works fine although GP2 sometimes runs smooth and other times lags in Dosbox?

As far as the tablet itself the ports on the side are as follows: Power port for charge,Earphones for quiet audio and a mobile phone type port which I have connected with a female USB connection on the other end.I have a simple Xbox style(with Xinput) game pad,wireless mouse and a USB bank adapter with 4 USB ports for extra USB peripherals.

Also be aware when playing games on a Tablet the keyboard/Mouse are absent and is instead onscreen by hitting a keyboard icon on the bottom task bar.When inside games you can't use or see this so I have a mini,Bluetooth and wireless KB/Mouse to hand, because as we know in gpl and other games you need Escape and Enter KB buttons quite often.

Tablet Spec= Intel HD graphics,1280x800 res,Intel sst Audio,memory 1024mb,Intel Atom processor 1.33ghz(4 cpu's),direct x 11.2 and Windows 10 32 bit OS.

Another thing to note to anybody thinking of upgrading to Windows10.Microsoft have introduced a simple and quirky style settings type come control panel.The traditional control panel is hidden away so I had to hunt it down and put a quick access EXE on my desktop.
The other problem is Microsoft have taken away the Windows update choice.So what happens according to them they update automatically when the system is inactive.Off course this is not good because you have to accept there updates and this can be dangerous to gamer's and gpl fans alike.So in google search(wont direct due to safety) there is a registry hack to get the traditional windows update option back into the control panel so you can control updates yourself!.Unfortunately I have followed the directions regarding this but not been successful.According to people in certain forums some have been successful and others have been given error's like myself.I have made a registry file fix and activated and even gone into the registry to alter directly,but still no joy?

By the way regarding gpl, I have taken off my hard drive a back up copy of a base gpl folder(installed some time ago with the 1.07 installer) and put it over my gpl demo folder to enhance my gpl experience on my tablet and get the full game.With no mods,just the 67 cars and original tracks.

Hope this helps and is interesting for people thinking about Tablet gaming and gpl?

-----------------------

twinpotter - 14.11.2015

For controls I have a game pad connected,which goes into the female end of a USB adapter and at the other end of that the cable goes into the tablet with a connection(don't know technical term) like a mobile/cell phone/Camera/Satnav connection.With this an adapter which plugs into the female USB socket for extra USB devices. OK this is starting to look like a Laptop/Desktop set up but everything is plug and play.
The game pad is a speed-link,12 UK pounds and as X input like an X-Box controller.Inside the tablet are X-Box game pad drivers so you can play your X-Box live games on the tablet,but I don't have or do X-Box.
From my last post I have now managed to achieve full resolution when driving due to my tweaking in GEM and GPL!

-----------------------

twinpotter

There seems to be a debate wether a Tablet can be classed on the same level as a Laptop,Notebook or general PC.With technology moving on, specification been developed and also condensed, especially for mobile use,the debate is still out.Remembering though this is a Windows Tablet and not running on the Android system.I suppose the only benefit regarding this thread is that GPL runs OK on modern OS like Windows 10, even though the CPU in this basic Tablet(And maybe more expensive Tablets)could limit the running of playing of games, though the possibility of mobile gaming could come achievable.Nothing will take away the comfort and structure of home gaming,but at least we can see a possibility of mobile gaming with games like GPL?That of course is, if you would like to do it?
As far as GPL running on my tablet, I have now got my full screen native resolution(1280x800) and the game(with letterbox patch through GEM) runs smooth with nice eye candy,which makes me happy and excited!

-----------------------

Fat Rich

We just need someone to write a patch that uses the tablet's gyros to steer the car

-----------------------

SV3000 - 15.11.2015

Hey there.

For lag problem, I see you mentioned "Digital Display Modifier" which can cause lag in opengl mode (from my expirence), so you may want to uninstall it and try again. And vertical sync that enforced in driver can also cause input lag (if you knew already). And this line from readmeRasterisers.txt (roglv2) "Currently this is incompatible with Pribluda - keep your fingers crossed for a Pribluda update."

And for cpu spec, I see yours only tops at 1.33ghz (multicore doesnt really help i believe), that's a little low when trying to run the game under high resolution(since Intel HD graphics is integrated, all depend on cpu power), as I used to have a 1.6ghz dualcore netbook and having pretty low fps while running gpl at just 1024x576 resolution. You may try lower resolutions see if it helps.

-----------------------

twinpotter

FR: These steering devices on google play but seem to be for Android?

https://web.archive.org/web/20161116040 ... cing-games

Seems to be for using your phone as a controller with PC games if I am reading it correctly?

SV300: I have tried both DDM and Pribluda with the openglv2 but I cant see any of those programmes on screen,so I think it is an opengl problem.As far as the fraps/lag issue,the game was lagging before trying DDM and Pribluda.
Regarding the resolution I have to run it in 1280x800 res,because if I use any less I get the black borders down each side of the screen.I am not sure if this is aspect ratio or DPI/Scaling but I cant seem to change that for the tablet and have had trouble finding that option too.I have a control panel for the graphics,but the scaling option cant be changed for some reason?

I may be on the wrong track there, or getting scaling and res settings mixed up,so any thoughts regarding that would be of help!

CPU yes is low but having said that the game is looking and running great,although the dury is still out as I haven't yet tried a full grid race?

-----------------------

John Woods - 16.11.2015

If someone were to have a tablet and know not much or nothing about Grand Prix Legends, would this be easy, tricky, or difficult?

-----------------------

twinpotter - 17.11.2015

Obviously from a Windows tablet point of view I found it straight forward.Not sure whether Android could do the same?

I just downloaded the GPL 2004 Demo to my tablet and installed.I then went into the game and set up a player name and all the options set to my desire.
As I said at first there was a little lag in the menu's,especially setting up the controller,but with persistence things came together well.Other people may have better results,but it is a good idea to be aware of this.Also you could just use a Keyboard for the control,instead of lugging a game pad around when mobile,but also be aware a wireless/blutooth mouse/Keyboard are essential to move in/out of the game and other,as the onscreen keyboard and touchpad don't work inside the game.

After set up it was a case of experimentation,then installing the V2 rasterises.I got a better screen resolution,fraps and eye candy with Opengl V2.
Then if the user requires Gem and things like the Letterbox patch and maybe weather,but the latter I have not tried as yet.Only problem I have is the Pribluda not showing for me as yet?
Also if you require the full game with tracks,I took my files from my laptop,but a copy of the basic gpl 1.07 installer version,from my hardrive(gpl discs in my possession) then I sent these to my Tablet through network sharing and Home-group,overwriting the demo for full experience.

I haven't yet got to full grids and races but will inform you of that outcome when I have chance to experiment!

If you need any more info John I would be happy to supply this !

-----------------------

twinpotter - 17.11.2015

My Basic Install Guide: NB-This is based on a Windows 10 Tablet(not Android)

1-Install gpl demo 2004 onto your tablet
https://web.archive.org/web/20150919053 ... 6101.shtml

2-Run the game first time.Set up Player,controls and options

3-Test the games play ability/capability on your Tablet

4-Install V2 Rasterisers and decide to run game either opengl or direct3d all V2 version(mine worked on opengl V2)
https://web.archive.org/web/20221006193 ... howfile=19

5-If all is ok you can stay with gpl demo or move onto full game.

6-To play full game.You must have your own gpl disc.Install the game on your laptop/desktop with 1.07 gpl installer to take the gpl game directory file (with no mods,just basic 1.07 install and basic cars/tracks) to your gpldemo file on your Tablet and let overwrite.To get this file to your tablet you can link your pc/laptop to your tablet and share the file with file share/homegroup or use a third party file sharer like dropbox or one drive?

https://gplps.wordpress.com/gplps-gpl-installer/

7-Install GEM pack for more tracks or mods if you require
http://gem.ebi-service.de/

8-Install Letterbox patch,Weather patch,bobblehead patch and so on.Links here at gpl links
http://www.gpllinks.org/

9-Install Pribluda or Digital display modifier(go to Utilities,Lee and Stefan page) to show onscreen guages for gear indicator or oil pressure whilst racing(Note these may not work or show up in opengl V2 Rasterisers?
http://www.amirkamal.com/gpl/pribluda/p ... #downloads
http://gplpp.com/

EXTRA NOTES:
If you install mods note that this will use up space on you limited Tablets hard drive and you are better using Gem if you do,to keep everything in order.
Also because a Tablet as a built in onscreen keyboard and touchpad onscreen mouse,you will have no operation inside gpl.So if you can obtain a blutooth,wireless or wired keyboard/mouse.
For a wired or wireless set up you will need the usb cable that slots into the side of your Tablet with female usb connection on the outer end to plug in those peripherals.
Also you will require a gamepad which will plug into the female usb connection,unless you can find a bluetooth pad?
Also because you may have numerous peripherals to connect a usb bank adapter so you can plug in numerous attachments at once.Other than a gamepad you could always use your keyboard instead for driving?

LASTLY ENJOY YOUR MOBILE GPL EXPERIENCE