2023 QATAR AIRWAYS HUNGARIAN GRAND PRIX

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Michael Ferner wrote: 9 months ago How does that sit with a supposed 30 to 35 kph DRS advantage for RB?
Hamilton was talking before the race about Red Bull having lost their DRS advantage and was wondering why. That is an interesting subject and not a lot of people have addressed. It clearly was there, now it is not. What happened? Did it disappear in their latest upgrade of the car... or... was it a "clever cheat" and they decided to remove it before it was protested?
2 - McLaren resurgence is for real, they have two excellent drivers, the future looks bright -
It is an impressive upgrade and rather sudden. They have been on the verge of some breakout upgrades for a decade or so. Now they finally succeed. They still only have one excellent driver. The jury is still out on Piastri.
3 - MB have a tyre warming issue compared to others around them.
Yep, and that has been a season long issue.
5 - AM have dropped right down the field, there's no question anymore. Together with the McLaren resurgence, it shows there's movement in the tiers, more than at any other time since I've started watching again two or three years ago.
The Mclaren upgrade really was significant, the most I have seen in a middle of a season for a while (at least a few years). We will see in the next couple of more races whether AM has a response. If not, then 5th in the points at the end of the season.
6 - Alpine are in a free fall. They need to find their feet, pronto!!
They look in trouble. Don't know where their engineering is or even who is heading it. Looks like a lost season. 6th in points at the end.

So, you like the numbered points format?
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Michael Ferner wrote: 9 months ago Oh, I forgot point #

11 - I think the qualifying gimmick worked well, and is the way to go. Pit stops and the different tyre qualities are too confusing for the casual viewer, they should ditch that - the only thing really keeping interest high were the recovery drives of Pérez and Russell. I would go one step farther, and give 5-4-3-2-1 points for the top five qualifiers, and invert the top six on the grid.
Glad someone liked it. I am not sure (I didn't watch it).

I gather the real reason for it is that it allowed Bridgestone to bring two less sets of tires per race (20 x 2 x 4 = 160 less tires).
doeodah
Favourite Motorsport: f1
Favourite Driver: vettel
Favourite Circuit: hockenheim

Post by doeodah »

thanks for the warm welcome Star and Everso Biggyballies! yes die hard vettel fan here :)
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Citroën C2 1.4 (2006)

Post by erwin greven »

Michael Ferner wrote: 9 months ago
erwin greven wrote: 9 months ago Actually, it was not a World Championship Formula 1. It was a World Championship of Drivers.
Correct.
erwin greven wrote: 9 months ago And the races were held under Formula 1 regulations in 1950 and 1951. In 1952 and 1953, the Championship was held under Formula 2 regulations. So technically Ascari is NOT a Formula 1 world drivers champion. But a Formula 2 world drivers champion.
Not quite. The 1952 and '53 Championships were not held under F2 regulations, only most of the races were. The FIA selected races for the World Drivers Championships, and the race organisers (the national clubs) chose the formula. AAA chose their own formula for the Indianapolis events, and the Spanish club RACE chose Formula One for their (cancelled) Grands Prix in both years. Technically, Ascari was not Formula 2 World Champion, he was World Drivers Champion, same as Farina, Fangio, Hawthorn etc. up until Alan Jones in 1980.
Except for the two races at Indianapolis, ALL races that counted for the World championship for Drivers were Formula 2 races.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Ruslan wrote: 9 months ago

11 - I think the qualifying gimmick worked well, and is the way to go. Pit stops and the different tyre qualities are too confusing for the casual viewer, they should ditch that - the only thing really keeping interest high were the recovery drives of Pérez and Russell. I would go one step farther, and give 5-4-3-2-1 points for the top five qualifiers, and invert the top six on the grid.
I didn't watch it, either (I never watch qualifying, it bores me stiff). The thing is, it shook up the order, and provided all the action on Sunday with Pérez and Russell out of position. There wasn't much else to follow.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Ruslan wrote: 9 months ago

I gather the real reason for it is that it allowed Bridgestone to bring two less sets of tires per race (20 x 2 x 4 = 160 less tires).
Well I didnt like the qualifying format.... too gimmicky for me. I didnt like the fact they were running roundd on the hard rubber with low fuel and in qualifying mode. I just seems wrong for them to be forced to run on unfit for purpose long distance rubber.

Im more than happy for them to drop the number of tyres available to 11 sets so the planet is saved the same amount of tyres and the the associated waste.... then let the teams allocate how they wish to use the rubber. Qualifying on hard rubber, cars running wide because they couldnt warm them up properly in the time reminded me of the days they had to qualify on race start fuel loads. It takes the true meaning of qualy away from Q1 & 2. End of the day it proved nothing.... we still got a couple of random early 'shock' exits as normal, and we still ended up with the same people fighting for pole in Q3.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Well, they are testing the format for two races this year. I don't mind them testing. Better than implementing changes without testing. In the end, I still prefer Friday and Saturday qualifying and everyone runs whenever and however they want.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

For those that watch F1 via the Sky coverage will no doubt be aware of the new "F1 Juniors" concept. In a nutshell it is F1 broadcasting by kids for kids. I think the long term plan is to have a separate channel that will exclusively cater for F1 kids. I applaud the initiative as a way to create an interest and a love of F1 at a young age and have no problem with the ideology. The problem is that we dont have the F1 junior channel here, so we had great chunks of our preview and post mortem stuff interrupted and handed over to the junior broadcasters.
I said I applaud the the concept, and I do...... just not on my watch. Give it a separate channel but please dont subject me to a bunch of maybe 12-15 year olds and their angle on things.

Amusing for a couple of minutes maybe, but I hope internationally for Sky users it gets its own exclusive channel. Call it Grumpy old man syndrome if you like, but I dont pay the extra for an F1 subscription to be preached to by a bunch of kids with kids opinions and focus..... im not interested on what driver has the coolest hairstyle or what animal nickname they would choose or what each drivers favourite ice cream is. I pay for the experience and behind the scenes knowledge of Jenson, Nico Rosberg, Martin Brundle, Ant Davison etc, the expert pundits as they call them, that all the broadcasters use. I love the idea and some of their questions were first class, but I found it irritating and an awful lot was garbage talk for an old F1 type audience.

And they need to learn a bit of respect (although this was amusing and I laughed it was just wrong). Im talking about when some young girl doing a segment with a couple of kids and Nico starts calling him Britney to his face like its cool. There was an adult broadcaster and Nico. Nico walked off the set and the broadcaster put her in her place, told the kid she had overstepped the mark and made her apologise to Britney, whoops I mean Nico, live on air..

Here is a short youtube of the kids talking to drivers (not of the Britney bit but...)

Oh I found the Britney bit with footage on Twitter
Translation:
ROSBERG WAS SHOCKED! Sky Sports F1 children's reporter called Nico Rosberg 'Britney' on air. Taken into this situation, Rosberg left the broadcast. As will be remembered, Rosberg was nicknamed 'Britney' by Mark Webber in 2006 Brazil.

Anyway great idea, but Sky just please give it its own channel so the traditional (grumpy old men) followers dont have to listen to it.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 9 months ago For those that watch F1 via the Sky coverage will no doubt be aware of the new "F1 Juniors" concept. In a nutshell it is F1 broadcasting by kids for kids. I think the long term plan is to have a separate channel that will exclusively cater for F1 kids. I applaud the initiative as a way to create an interest and a love of F1 at a young age and have no problem with the ideology. The problem is that we dont have the F1 junior channel here, so we had great chunks of our preview and post mortem stuff interrupted and handed over to the junior broadcasters.
I said I applaud the the concept, and I do...... just not on my watch. Give it a separate channel but please dont subject me to a bunch of maybe 12-15 year olds and their angle on things.

Amusing for a couple of minutes maybe, but I hope internationally for Sky users it gets its own exclusive channel. Call it Grumpy old man syndrome if you like, but I dont pay the extra for an F1 subscription to be preached to by a bunch of kids with kids opinions and focus..... im not interested on what driver has the coolest hairstyle or what animal nickname they would choose or what each drivers favourite ice cream is. I pay for the experience and behind the scenes knowledge of Jenson, Nico Rosberg, Martin Brundle, Ant Davison etc, the expert pundits as they call them, that all the broadcasters use. I love the idea and some of their questions were first class, but I found it irritating and an awful lot was garbage talk for an old F1 type audience.

And they need to learn a bit of respect (although this was amusing and I laughed it was just wrong). Im talking about when some young girl doing a segment with a couple of kids and Nico starts calling him Britney to his face like its cool. There was an adult broadcaster and Nico. Nico walked off the set and the broadcaster put her in her place, told the kid she had overstepped the mark and made her apologise to Britney, whoops I mean Nico, live on air..

Here is a short youtube of the kids talking to drivers (not of the Britney bit but...)

Oh I found the Britney bit with footage on Twitter
Translation:
ROSBERG WAS SHOCKED! Sky Sports F1 children's reporter called Nico Rosberg 'Britney' on air. Taken into this situation, Rosberg left the broadcast. As will be remembered, Rosberg was nicknamed 'Britney' by Mark Webber in 2006 Brazil.

Anyway great idea, but Sky just please give it its own channel so the traditional (grumpy old men) followers dont have to listen to it.
I saw some bit with them, and one of them got all excited about meeting Vettel and getting to sit in his Aston at Goodwood.

*shows footage of her sitting in his McLaren*
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Citroën C2 1.4 (2006)

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."