[IMSA] 2023 Random News

WEC, Blancpain, Le Mans Series, Rolex and special events like the Le Mans 24h
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

[IMSA] 2023 Random News

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Rather than open a thread for the smaller IMSA events thought a general one would suffice.

Anyway this weekend we have the Watkins Glen 6 hours, or to give it its proper name, the Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen.

So far it has not been exactly straight forward with weather, specifically rain, has been creating havoc..... so much so that qualifying was abandoned completely after 3 cars went off on the first lap. GTP teams’ championship points standings will determine the starting line-up.

The #6 Porsche Penske Motorsport 963 will start the race from pole position after the GTP qualifying session was rained out Saturday afternoon.

Mixed weather conditions greeted the fifth round of America’s premier sportscar series but, following the multi-car shunt that halted the joint LMP2/P3 session, that and the GTP session that was meant to follow were abandoned.

All prototypes will therefore line up in championship order, with the #6 Porsche Penske Motorsport 963 of Nick Tandy and Mathieu Jaminet starting from pole, ahead of the #31 Action Express Racing Cadillac V-Series.R of Pipo Derani, Alexander Sims and Jack Aitken.

The #10 Wayne Taylor Racing with Andretti Autosport Acura ARX-06 of Ricky Taylor, Filipe Albuquerque and Louis Deletraz will start third, ahead of the Chip Ganassi Racing Caddy of Sebastien Bourdais and Renger van der Zande and the #25 BMW M Hybrid V8 of Connor De Phillippi and Nick Yelloly.

In the mixed LMP2 and P3 session, rain fell hard at the top of the hill just as the cars departed the pits. Under to IMSA rules, teams aren’t allowed to change tyres.

Three cars – all on wets – then aquaplaned off in the Boot section of track, leading to a pile-up that halted the session: Ari Balough’s #30 Jr III Ligier LMP3 went off first, landing in the tyrewall. Ben Keating’s PR1 Mathiasen ORECA LMP2 followed his path and ploughed into his stationary car. Then the #17 P3 of Anthony Mantella (AWA) spun and collected Keating’s stranded car. All drivers were unhurt.

With no times set, the LMP2 and LMP3 packs will also be set by teams’ championship order, which means the #11 TDS Racing entry will start from pole ahead of the #52 PR1 car that will need rebuilding after Keating’s shunt. In P3, the #74 Riley car will start from pole ahead of the #13 AWA machine.

In the GT classes, Jack Hawksworth led the early qualifying times in his #14 Lexus RC F GTD Pro entry with a time of 1m45.924s, backed up by the #12 sister car of Aaron Telitz which led the pro-am GTD category.

As the track dried after a pre-session shower, Loris Spinelli then topped them all with 1m45.330s in the Forte Racing Lamborghini Huracan, before Daniel Serra took over the GTD Pro class pole in his Risi-run Ferrari 296 with 1m45.391s.

Hawksworth and Serra then swapped the pole between them, Serra stopping the clocks in 1m44.829s, but Spinelli grabbed it back with a track-record 1m44.430s – beating Pro class leader Serra by four tenths, despite a malfunctioning dashboard so he didn’t know his laptimes.

Jordan Pepper qualified third in Iron Lynx’s Lambo, ahead of the Lexus duo of Telitz and Hawksworth. Doriane Pin was sixth in her Iron Dames Huracan.

Ross Gunn hit trouble when the right-rear wheel came loose on his #23 Heart of Racing Aston Martin Vantage, due to an apparent hub issue, while Alan Brynjolfsson spun his Wright Motorsport Porsche 911 twice at the Inner Loop chicane.
https://www.autosport.com/imsa/news/ims ... /10487263/

The conditions have resulted in a change of tyres allowed for GTP,....... Michelin and IMSA will allow GTP teams to use a second, softer tire compound due to track conditions.

“Due to temperatures not consistent with recent 6 Hours of Watkins Glen events, Michelin will add two sets of SHT tires to the GTP event allocation,” IMSA and Michelin said. “This change allows GTP teams to have options for the variable conditions.”

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Just a bit more info on the event

SAHLEN'S SIX HOURS OF THE GLEN

Entry by Class:
GTP - 9. Caddies, Porsches, Accura, BMW M Hybrid V8,
LMP2 - 9
LMP3 - 10
GTD PRO - 9
GTD - 20

FULL ENTRY LIST BY CLASS

As far as I can work out for some reason the race starts at 10:40AM local time until 16:40 (1:40am Monday for us in Aus on AEST)

I am assuming the race will be shown on https://www.imsa.com/tvlive/ for those not in the US. I was just watching the 2 hour "Watkins Glen International" earlier without a problem.

The IMSA website suggests it will.....
Next Live Stream - Sunday, June 25, 10:35 a.m. ET - WeatherTech Championship Race
Those in the US..... Full details https://www.imsa.com/domesticcoverage/

How to watch wherever you are outside the US is here: https://www.imsa.com/internationalcoverage/

Audio commentary is also available via IMSA Radio at RadioLeMans.com.

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Farfus crashed in Turn 1 and was stuck in the middle of the road but IMSA still waved green for the GT class. Some madness there.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Unfortunately although I was around for the start I nodded off in the early SC. That and watching a bit of PIkes Peak Hillclimb during the early SC bits meant I missed the first couple of hours of racing.Here is the update for the 3 hour mark from IMSSA,com.

No. 31 Whelen Cadillac Leads at Midpoint of Wild Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen

(actually its just past that, I would say Porsche actually led at half time. just sayin... :wink:
Alexander Sims and the No. 31 Whelen Engineering Cadillac Racing Cadillac V-Series.R led the Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen at the halfway mark of Sunday’s race that featured an abundance of action through the first three hours.

Porsche was the dominant Grand Touring Prototype (GTP) manufacturer through the first half of the race, with the Nos. 6 and 7 Porsche Penske Motorsport Porsche 963s leading 83 of 98 laps. But Sims, who shares the No. 31 Cadillac this weekend with Pipo Derani and Jack Aitken, took the midpoint lead by virtue of being on a slightly different pit sequence.

Matt Campbell and Felipe Nasr led 35 early laps in the No. 7 Porsche and were running second to Nick Tandy and Mathieu Jaminet in the No. 6 Porsche until Nasr pulled into the pits and toward the garage area with a mechanical issue two and a half hours into the race.

The No. 7 Porsche wasn’t the only GTP to suffer an issue early on. Five other cars in class had their race affected by incidents or infractions, starting with the drop of the green flag. The No. 24 BMW M Team RLL BMW Hybrid V8 was eliminated on the opening lap when driver Augusto Farfus spun entering Turn 1 and made contact with the tire barrier.

“I hit the power and just lost the rear. It was totally my fault,” a dejected Farfus said. “We end a six-hour race in Turn 1. I am sorry.”

The Farfus crash brought out the first of three full-course cautions through the opening three hours on the historic 3.4-mile, 11-turn road course. The third caution came just past an hour in, when Sebastien Bourdais in the No. 01 Cadillac Racing Cadillac V-Series.R closed too quickly on a GT Daytona (GTD) car entering Turn 11 and started to spin upon braking. At that point, Bourdais was tapped from behind by Connor De Phillippi in the No. 25 BMW M Team RLL BMW Hybrid V8, sending the No. 01 Cadillac into the wall.

Both GTP cars sustained damage necessitating repairs in the pits, with the Cadillac dropping a lap off the pace and later being ordered by IMSA to pit and change tires for failing to adhere to tire pressure requirements.

Just after Nasr took the No. 7 Porsche behind the wall, the No. 10 Konica Minolta Acura ARX-6 lost its left-rear tire and wheel while on track. Filipe Albuquerque tiptoed the car back to pit lane to get the tire replaced, but he was assessed a drive-through penalty for speeding while exiting pit lane and the No. 10 was two laps in arrears at the halfway point.

The No. 60 Meyer Shank Racing with Curb-Agajanian Acura ARX-6 overcame a pit-lane speed violation of its own and was running third after three hours, trailing the No. 31 Cadillac and No. 6 Porsche.

Other class leaders at that point were: the No. 04 Crowdstrike Racing by APR ORECA LMP2 07 in Le Mans Prototype 2 (LMP2), the No. 74 Riley Ligier JS P320 in Le Mans Prototype 3 (LMP3), the No. 63 Iron Lynx Lamborghini Huracán GT3 EVO2 in GT Daytona Pro (GTD PRO) and the No. 96 Turner Motorsport BMW M4 GT3 in GT Daytona (GTD).

The No. 11 TDS Racing ORECA, which entered the race leading the LMP2 championship, sustained significant damage and went multiple laps down when driver Steven Thomas slid into the Turn 11 barrier trying to avoid colliding with a pair of LMP2s that had made contact in front of him. The No. 8 Tower Motorsports ORECA earned a drive-through penalty for incident responsibility on that occasion for contact with the No. 52 PR1 Mathiasen Motorsports ORECA.

In addition to being the fifth race of the WeatherTech Championship season, the Sahlen’s Six Hours is the third leg of the IMSA Michelin Endurance Cup. Points separate from the season standings are awarded at designated junctures of the four long-distance races to determine the endurance champions in each class.

With Michelin Endurance Cup points awarded at the three-hour mark Sunday, the season leaders in each class are: the No. 31 Whelen Cadillac in GTP, a tie between the No. 04 Crowdstrike by APR ORECA and No. 52 PR1 Mathiasen ORECA in LMP2, the No. 33 Sean Creech Motorsport Ligier in LMP3, the No. 79 WeatherTech Racing Mercedes-AMG GT3 in GTD PRO and the No. 27 Heart of Racing Team Aston Martin Vantage GT3 in GTD.
. https://www.imsa.com/news/2023/06/25/no ... -the-glen/

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Just about an hour left and what I thought was becoming a cruise for the the #31 Whelen Caddy has had a change at the front thanks to strategy plays. Im sure exactly where they stand in nett terms as I am not sure of the times needed for fuel stops at the final stops. All I know for sure is they all need one further stop in the outright racee, but as we stand now the #25 BMW Hybrid of De Phillipi leads the #6 Penske Porsche of Tandy by 5 seconds with the Whelen Caddy of Derani a couple of seconds back from him.

It will all come down to how long each car needs in pitlane for refuelling in their final stops. My head tells me the #31 Caddy although 3rd will need less time in pitlane. I dont know by how much.

They are all at a point where they can refuel and get to tthe end. Tyres of course will be a factor with how long they want their last stint to be. Some will probably NEED to fuel within the next few laps.

Weather wont affect it as its dry all the way.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

OK less than 50 minutes now and the fuel stops not happened yet for anyone. The BMW now leads Tandy by 8 seconds and the Caddy a further 3 back

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

OK the Caddy has stopped for fuel and tyres.... will the others react straight away.

The BMW has pittedbut not Tandy

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

BMW seem to have nailed it, as they rejoin ahead of the Caddy with Fresh tyres and fuel. Tandy has stayed out still. The BMW is in traffic. Tandy has a lead of 55 seconds but has yet to fuel up for the end.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Tandy pits for fuel and tyres.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The Porsche now with Jaminet is just in the lead but on cold tyres....

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

But the BMW of dePhillipi passes the #6 Porsche and leads.

First three covered by 10 seconds with 35 to go.

I thinkl BMW have nailed it on strategy which was brilliant.

Jaminet in the Porsche is the fastest of the three on track though and doing better with traffic.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Oh the GTD Pro has the first three are all together for another good fight to the flag. All covered by a couple of seconds.

Hawksworth Lexus leads Serra Ferrari with Garcia Corvette 3rd.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

In GTP the Porsche is for sure closing a bit on the BMW. 18 minutes to go.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Traffic for the BMW.... gap down to 2.5 secs.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

1.3 seconds the gap with 11 minutes to go.