Goodwood Festival Of Speed 2023 - He's back!!

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Goodwood Festival Of Speed 2023 - He's back!!

Post by Star »

It has been announced that a certain Sebastian Vettel will be back behind the wheel of and F1 car when he attends the Goodwood Festival Of Speed this year. He will be driving cars from his own collection and using his own sustainable fuel :bow:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Just for info the FoS is 13th - 16th July 2023

There will be a live stream of the entire event.

I did not realise that he also owned an ex Senna Championship winning McLaren. (MP4/8)

From the Goodwood FoS Event Website ( https://www.goodwood.com/grr/event-cove ... -of-speed/ )
Sebastian Vettel to star at FOS 2023

Sebastian Vettel – the four-time Formula 1 world champion – will return to the Goodwood Festival of Speed presented by Mastercard this year on Saturday and Sunday, making a special appearance following his F1 retirement. He will use his time at Goodwood not just to celebrate his amazing career, but to promote the sustainable future of the sport.

The former Red Bull, Ferrari and Aston Martin driver will star on the Goodwood Hill in multiple cars from his own collection including Nigel Mansell’s championship-winning Williams FW14B and Ayrton Senna’s McLaren MP4/8 from 1993.

Vettel will be at the Festival on both Saturday and Sunday, while all weekend there will be a display of his cars in the main paddocks for all to see. Vettel will also spend time talking to visitors about his work advocating for alternative fuels in the motorsport industry. On both days fans will be able to join us in celebrating Sebastian’s amazing career as we host one of Goodwood’s legendary balcony moments.

This will be Vettel’s second visit to the Goodwood Festival of Speed. His first was in 2012 where he celebrated his second World Championship by driving his title-winning Red Bull RB7 alongside team-mate Mark Webber.

This year’s Festival of Speed is not only celebrating the 30th anniversary of the first event and the theme will be Goodwood 75 as we look back at our three-quarters of a century of motorsport history. Apt then that we can join Sebastian Vettel as he looks back at his amazing F1 career and forward to the future of racing.

Today Vettel remains one of the most prominent voices in motorsport, despite having retired at the end of 2022. Last season he launched an alternative fuels campaign at the British Grand Prix by running his FW14B on e-fuels at Silverstone.

He has followed this up by launching “Race without Trace”, which aims to prove that racing with combustion engines and e-fuels is very much possible for the future of motorsport. This is just one part of a series of sustainable projects Vettel is working on, challenging both the pace at which the motorsport industry moves and the science behind it.

As the Festival of Speed continues to champion the future of mobility and automotive technology, with the expansion of Electric Avenue and a growing number of alternatively fuelled vehicles, we are delighted to support Sebastian Vettel’s wish to only drive cars running on synthetic fuel at the event. At the 2023 Festival of Speed, approximately 20% of the vehicles at the event will run on alternative fuels – whether that’s hydrogen, electric or synthetic.

Ahead of his return to Goodwood for the 2023 Festival of Speed, Sebastian Vettel said: “It's great to be coming back to Goodwood after all these years. I can't wait to get behind the wheel of some of my most memorable cars which will be running on sustainable fuel over the weekend. I’m a passionate racer and it’s important to me that we continue to enjoy driving iconic racing cars today and in the future, but that we do so in a responsible way.”

The Duke of Richmond said: “I have fond memories of Sebastian’s first visit to the Festival of Speed in 2012 and am hugely excited to welcome him back to Goodwood.

“I know our fans will be delighted to have an opportunity to celebrate his incredible career and to see him in action on the Hill. His attitude towards sourcing alternative fuels absolutely aligns with our plans across the event and the wider Estate to ensure we are shining a light on this important topic and protect motorsport for the next generation.”
https://www.goodwood.com/grr/event-cove ... -fos-2023/

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

I know he owns a lot of F1 cars, then again he can afford to ;)

Mawerick
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Racing Car: AAR Eagle T1G
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps

Post by Mawerick »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year agoI did not realise that he also owned an ex Senna Championship winning McLaren. (MP4/8)
But the MP4/8 did not win a championship? Not that it matters too much.
"It’s a Mickey Mouse circuit. To have a race at a track like this is an insult to Grand Prix racing."
-Graham Hill commenting the Le Mans Bugatti track

- 2021 Guess The Pole champion! -
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Mawerick wrote: 11 months ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year agoI did not realise that he also owned an ex Senna Championship winning McLaren. (MP4/8)
But the MP4/8 did not win a championship? Not that it matters too much.
Whoops I was in a hurry when I posted and misread what I had quoted from. I misread the "...Championship winning Williams FW14B and McLaren MP4/8 as both Championship winners when the last McLaren he won the title in was actually the MP4/6. Not that the 4/8 was a donkey.... he still managed to win 5 races in it, in 1993, just that Prost won 6 in that years title winning Williams (FW-15C).

Well spotted. :thumbsup:

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

This didn't go so well. Do you think it will buff out? ;) :whistling:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Hehehe I watched that yesterday and thought ooops, someone in Korea wont be very happy. I cant believe how fast he went into the straw bales. Apparently he had a passenger as well.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I watched a bit tonight (my time) but the weather didnt look very pleasant so I strted watching the Bonhams auction (I put a link on the forum front page. I got fed up when someone bid 2.2 million pounds for an Aston Martin DB5. It was very nice but....

Ill put the Bonhams Goodwood auction link here in case anyone wants to have a look. They are not all that expensive

They are just selling a couple of old (1979) Minis that drove round the world. £35000 and still going for the pair.

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 9 months ago Hehehe I watched that yesterday and thought ooops, someone in Korea wont be very happy. I cant believe how fast he went into the straw bales. Apparently he had a passenger as well.
At least no one was injured. I did notice the driver had the good grace to look embarrassed :blush:

I might bid on some of those cars, I'll just check what change is down the back of the sofa :haha: :haha: :haha:

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

https://imgur.com/RvW1PR6
Tire comes loose and hits spectators at Goodwood Festival of Speed
Thankfully no one injured apparently.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1031323/1 ... ival-speed
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

MonteCristo wrote: 9 months ago https://imgur.com/RvW1PR6
Tire comes loose and hits spectators at Goodwood Festival of Speed
Thankfully no one injured apparently.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1031323/1 ... ival-speed
Yeah I was watching live when it happened and kept very quiet about it.... went straight to a commercial break and then highlights of previous years for a while with no mention of injuries. Glad to hear it seems to have been injury free given the weight of a big spoked wheel and heavy historic rubber. I was worried given it came to a rather abrupt stop in the midst of a crowd. I daresay a few G&T's got spilt. If that tis he worst all is good.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Well I saw it was pretty wet yesterday and it seems things have not improved. In fact.......

The Duke of Richmond has bad wind.

Important event announcement
Last updated: 14 July at 22:20hrs
It is with deep regret that we have taken the decision that the Goodwood Festival of Speed will not go ahead tomorrow (Saturday 15 July 2023). After consulting meteorologists, health and safety experts and other key stakeholders, we have taken the decision to close the event site due to a severe wind warning in the Goodwood area.

On-site safety is our highest priority and the forecasted high winds will pose a serious risk to various temporary structures across the site. We politely ask that you do not travel to Goodwood or attempt to access the site.

This decision has not been made lightly and His Grace, The Duke of Richmond, along with the whole Festival of Speed team, are deeply saddened that we will not run the event on Saturday for the first time in its 30 year history.

The event will resume as planned on Sunday.

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Yes we're under a weather warning for rough winds and heavy showers of rain, it's set to last all day. It doesn't feel much like July right now, our high yesterday was 17 C. Mind you, I'd rather have that than the temperatures southern Europe are getting with highs between 40 C and 48 C.

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

And there he is for your enjoyment :cool:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Seb also had his Senna McLaren there with a rather unique crash helmet design especially for the run. A mix of Senna's Brazilian and his own German colours. Also sporting his "Race without Trace" overalls. Good to see him the centre of attraction as he parked his McLaren outside the front of Goodwood house and walked through the crowd signing autographs as he made his way up onto the balcony to do an interview with Karun Chandok and give a little plug for sustainability and motor racing moving to embrace it.

Jenson Button had fun in the Garage 56 NASCAR Le Mans Camaro to close the Goodwod FOS with.