2023 banter & Silly season thread for MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Marc Marquez ruled out of Dutch MotoGP due to rib injury
Marc Marquez chose / was told not to start the Dutch Grand Prix at Assen due to injuries, his Honda MotoGP team has announced. Injuries from his 5 crashes last weekend aggravated by further time on his bum this weekend, not to mention feeling discomfort from minly his ribs in the Sprint race yesterday.

Anyway the race has started without MM93 and has been something of a crashfest with Zarco Quatararo and Vinales all out plus of course Miller threw it down the road. Bastianini another one out. All in the first third of the race .

Quatar looked like he was suffering as he needed assistance to leave the accident scene. Not sure if that was due to the injuries he carried into the race from his training mishap or fresh injuries

Binder did his usual blistering start to leead the first few laps but now Bagnaia has taken over the lead with Binder and Bezzechi not far behind

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Half distance and Binder is not letting Bagnaia get away and Bezzechi not out of it either.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Aleix Espargaro fancies joining in the fun with the first three. Baganaia is making a bit of a break from the following 3. Actually I think Binder is hanging on to his tyres as its him falling back, and now Bezzechi goes to 2nd. Aleix could be the surprise to Binder at least.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Martin joining Espargaro and Binder in the battle for 3rd.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Last lap and Bags has Bezzechi covered aand Binder might just hold off his pursuers to keep 3rd.

Indeed that is how it plays out.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Binder lost another podium post race with a track limits breach on the last lap. Happened to him yesterday in the Sprint race also.

So Bags Bezzechi and Espargaro take the podium

I daresay the penalty will drop Binder back to 5th behind Martin who was a wheel width behind Espargaro.

Bagnaia joins Doviozo as the 3rd most successful Italian rider in the premier class with 15 wins.

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Alex Rins will replace Franco Morbidelli in the works Yamaha team for 2024.

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2023/08/ ... son/474725
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Really cant believe that Bagnaia escaped injury in his horrific opening lap crash at Barcelona over the weekend. For those that were not aware several riders went down in an early crash sparked by Basianini, but on the following turn Bagnaia had a massive high-side and anded back in the middle of the track right in front of Binder who was absolutely powerless in being able to miss Bags. Binder appeared to run over both Bagnaia's legs.

It looked absolutely awful. I have to admit my total surprise whn Bagnaia was declared near enough completely unharmed and scans and x rays had uncovered a minor previous injury.
An update from Ducati posted on X, formerly Twitter, read: “Pecco Bagnaia has sustained multiple contusions, but further medical checks have shown no fractures.

“The reigning World Champion will fly to Italy with the team tonight.”

In the first report on Bagnaia’s condition on Sunday, Dr Angel Charte told DAZN: “Pecco has had severe polytrauma. A motorbike ran over him in the femoral and tibial area.

“We have taken X-rays of this area and have detected a small injury that we don’t know if it is current or old.

“We need to do an urgent CAT scan and that is why we have sent him to the general hospital.

“At cranial, thoracic and abdominal levels, he has been normal at all times; he was conscious and oriented.

“The image we have seen is from conventional radiology, so it is difficult to be sure that there is no fracture. It is necessary to do a CAT scan.”

Bastianini on the other hand wwho started the T1 incident was not so lucky

Factory Ducati MotoGP rider Enea Bastianini will miss at least three more races of the 2023 MotoGP season following his Turn 1 crash during Sunday’s Catalan Grand Prix.

The Italian underwent successful surgery on Monday afternoon to repair fractures to both his hand and ankle but will sit out not just his home round in Misano this weekend but also at least the following two races in India and Japan.

Video of both incidents:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Espargaro toasts ‘dream double’ at home Spanish MotoGP

Whoops forgot to mention that in the wake of Bagnaia 's and the Turn 1 crash Aleix Espargaro toasted a dream double at his home round at the MotoGP World Championship at Catalunya on Sunday.

Espargaro, who caught and passed his Aprilia Racing team-mate Maverick Viñales to secure a brilliant brace after he also triumphed in Sunday’s Sprint race, said: “I’m speechless and the first thing I want to say is that I’m really happy today nothing happened on the first start; lucky that Pecco is nothing really serious, they told me now, so this win is for Pecco because I was very worried.”

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Reports are starting to appear suggesting something big and to be honest not unexpectd in MotoGP land. Nothing confirmed as yet but smoke, fire etc...........

Report: Marc Marquez breaks Honda contract for Gresini Ducati

Marc Marquez has reportedly decided to leave Honda a year before his contract is up and ride on a Gresini Ducati in the 2024 MotoGP season.would share the Gresini garage with brother Alex,
Marquez did little to fend off the furious speculation about his future when he spoke on Spanish television.

Repsol Honda Team Principal Alberto Puig said earlier this season, “Every person is free to do what he wants in life, and Honda is not a company that wants to have people that are not happy being in Honda.

“So, of course, we have a contract with him, but also Honda respects Marc a lot and I want to think yes [Marquez will be a Honda rider in 2024] based on the contract, but I don’t have a magic ball.”

The main contra to the rumours are that there is not much about in Ducati land and that seems to be the bike to have. In fact I am not sure really on the state of next years done deals or available rides other than Ducati does have a potential seat down the ladder at Gresini.

The factory Ducati Team is full, its riders being 2022 champion Francesco Bagnaia and Enea Bastianini, while Pramac Racing is expected to confirmed Franco Morbidelli alongside Jorge Martin and the VR46 Racing Team has now announced the renewal of Luca Marini as team-mate to Marco Bezzecchi.

Gresini Racing, on the other hand, is still holding out on filling one of its seats, which appears earmarked for #93.
So a bit of a watch this space with nothing confirmed but it seems lots of writing on the wall..

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Bagnaia cleared to race this weekend at Misano, whilst Bastianini is still 'under repair' from his fractures incurred at Catalunya last weekend. I have to (very happily) say I still find it extraordinary that Bagnaia escaped any serious injury. l saw it live (it was being shown live in the bar ahead of the F1 GP) and immediately fered the worst. The fact that the commentary in Spanish and they almost immediately changed the channel to F1 means I did not get any form of update until the evening, and I was expecting far worse news.

Anyway he is free to ride at what will be his home GP at Misano.
Bagnaia, 20th in Friday’s opening practice, said his main injury concern is an injury to his right knee.

Despite still recovering from the effects of the crash, Bagnaia is intent on challenging for victory at Misano in front of his home fans.

Bags had a few comments on the crash and his difficulties faced riding this weekend. He suggests it was purely tyres and nothing to do with him...... :suspicious: :whistling:
“First of all, I am pleased and lucky to be here. I have to say thanks to the hard work that Alpinestars are doing in terms of safety, the evolution; the work they are doing is for sure the top in the world,” said Bagnaia.

“I’m very happy, it’s my home Grand Prix and it’s very important to be here. We worked a lot and it was not easy because Monday was not an easy day.

“We worked very hard and I’m very proud of the work we did; it’s incredible what we did from Monday until now.

“I will continue all weekend to do therapy and we will improve every day. Let’s see. I tried to jump on the bike before and I feel OK.”

On his physical condition, Bagnaia added: “The biggest one is where the Brad Binder impact [occurred], which is the right knee. I have a big haematoma in the knee and it goes down to the foot.

“It will be a problem to move the leg, but let’s see.”

The championship leader, who holds a 50-point advantage over Pramac Ducati’s Jorge Martin going into round 12, said his crash was solely due to a tyre issue.

“From the bike I was just feeling from the warm-up lap that my rear grip was zero,” Bagnaia said.

“I almost crashed twice, three times in the warm-up lap at corner three, corner nine and corner 12 without pushing because it was the warm-up lap.

“Then in the first corner I was already losing the rear tyre. If you check the image, Jorge [Martin] had to brake a lot, this was why – I had this gap in the second corner.

“As soon as I leaned the bike and opened the gas, I completely lost the rear. We checked the data, analysed everything and in terms of the electronic and side, and riding style, we didn’t do any mistakes.

“We are waiting for Michelin to analyse everything… but it was quite heavy, quite a strange crash, so it’s important to understand everything.”

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Franco Morbidelli will join the Ducati MotoGP stable after signing a contract to ride for Pramac Racing in 2024.

Franco's impending exit from Yamaha was confirmed earlier this year, with the m having signed Alex Rins as his replacement.

Morbidelli, who finished runner-up in the 2020 MotoGP title race, will share the Pramac garage with t Jorge Martin.

The deal is directly with the Cucati factory, as usual with Pramac

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Major rain before Moto3 Q2 in India. They've shortened race distances for MotoGP due to extreme heat but I guess they didn't account for the monsoon weather anyway.

Btw, I wrote few months ago that I completely forgot how the Buddh circuit looks like (it was a complete anonymous Tilke clone in F1) so guess Dorna decided they needed to remind me about it :tongue:
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 7 months ago Reports are starting to appear suggesting something big and to be honest not unexpectd in MotoGP land. Nothing confirmed as yet but smoke, fire etc...........

Report: Marc Marquez breaks Honda contract for Gresini Ducati

Marc Marquez has reportedly decided to leave Honda a year before his contract is up and ride on a Gresini Ducati in the 2024 MotoGP season.would share the Gresini garage with brother Alex,
Marquez did little to fend off the furious speculation about his future when he spoke on Spanish television.....

.....Gresini Racing, on the other hand, is still holding out on filling one of its seats, which appears earmarked for #93.
So a bit of a watch this space with nothing confirmed but it seems lots of writing on the wall..

OK its out in the open now.... MM93 has officially been offered a seat at Gresini

.....alongside his brother, and Ducati are just waiting on MMs official acceptance of the Gresini offer and of course a release of MM by Honda.

Paolo Ciabatti Ducati Corse Sporting Director spoke about the spaniard and how Gresini Racing has an open door to welcome the #93:
‘As far as Gresini is concerned, I think they seem to have this opportunity and are waiting for Marquez’s decision.... the decisions are up to Marquez… and Honda: ‘He’s going to talk to Honda management in Japan and make a decision. It’s up to him and the team. Marquez says he has three options. I don’t know what they will be. One is to stay at Honda, the other two we can only guess’.
So, according to Ducati Marc has said he has 3 options according .... one obviously is stay at Honda and see his contract out, another being to break his Honda contract and join Gresini. What is option #3? Another offer from another team? Or pull the plug and call it a day? :idunno:

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Taking a year out I would guess - what's the point spending another year on a bike that he's not competitive on unless he's risking his health.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Ducati chief Giga Dall’Igna believes that six-time MotoGP champion Marc Marquez has indeed decided to leave Honda for Gresini Racing.

I believe he will too.... fact is until Marc and Honda confirm it it is just 'make' believe and regardless of what we might feel it aint over until contracts are signed and the main parties CONFIRM it.

Dall’Igna did later seem to realise he had perhaps been overly confident, and reverted to a lower key nothing is signed yet stance, though, pointed out that the move has not been confirmed, when he issued a follow-up few words on the matter.
“This is what I heard, clearly there is no official announcement yet,” he added.

Speculation has been rife about Marc's future for months and he has done nothing to try and shut it down, notwithstanding that he has a year to run on his contract with Honda.

Marquez even admitted that a first Grand Prix podium in almost 12 months, when he finished third in the last 24 hours at Japan’s Motegi, was a “super strange” feeling.

It now appears all the more likely that he is leaving the former MotoGP powerhouse of Honda for the fourth-string Ducati team, to ride a year-old Desmosedici motorcycle,. Ducati seem happy with the situation, and believe they have Marquez, but nothing is yet set in concrete or at a confirmation status..

I guessing but would think the facts are agreed but the terms and what money changes hands are the stumbling block.