Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

2023 [IMSA] Daytona 24 hours

Post by erwin greven »

Full Rolex 24 at Daytona Entry List Released
IMSA issues complete entry list featuring driver lineups in 61-car overall field…

by John DagysJanuary 11, 2023

IMSA has released the complete Rolex 24 at Daytona entry list, featuring the majority of driver lineups for the 61 cars entered into the WeatherTech SportsCar Championship season opener.

Issued on Wednesday, the entry list is comprised of nine GTP entries, ten LMP2 cars, nine LMP3 machines, eight GTD Pro and 25 GTD entries, as previously confirmed by the sanctioning body.

A number of TBDs are still listed in the lineups, although most of them are due to registration reasons.

While lineups for all of the GTP class entries had been previously confirmed, BMW M Team RLL has named Colton Herta as its fourth driver for the No. 24 BMW M Hybrid V8, with Herta now set to pull double duty between both BMW entries.

The LMP2 list sees confirmation of Rick Ware Racing’s lineup in Eric Lux, Pietro Fittipaldi, Devlin DeFrancesco and Austin Cindric, while newly named Ferrari Hypercar driver Nicklas Nielsen will join Francois Perrodo, Mathieu Vaxiviere and Julien Canal in AF Corse’s Oreca 07 Gibson.

Proton Competition, which is set for its prototype debut, will have Gianmaria Bruni, Fred Poordad, James Allen and a fourth to-be-announced co-driver.

LMP3 sees confirmation of driving squads from Andretti Autosport (Jarett Andretti, Gabby Chaves, Dakota Dickerson, Rasmus Lindh), Riley Motorsports (Gar Robinson, Felipe Fraga, Josh Burdon, Glenn van Berlo) and FAST MD Racing (Yu Kanamaru, James French, Nick Boulle, James Vance).

MRS GT-Racing has yet to confirm its four drivers for its Ligier JS P320 Nissan entry.

There are no additions to the GTD Pro grid, while GTD sees Turner Motorsport’s two-car BMW M4 GT3 effort finalized with Bill Auberlen, Chandler Hull, John Edwards and a to-be-confirmed fourth driver in the No. 95 car and Robby Foley, Patrick Gallagher, Michael Dinan and Jens Klingmann in the No. 96.

Miguel Molina has been confirmed alongside Simon Mann, Luis-Perez Companc and Francesco Castellacci in the No. 21 AF Corse Ferrari 296 GT3, while Trenton Estep is the fourth driver in the No. 53 MDK Motorsports Porsche 911 GT3 R.

US RaceTronics, meanwhile, has finalized its driving squd for its Lamborghini Huracan GT3 EVO2, which will be driven by Loris Spinelli, Misha Goikhberg, Benja Hites and Lamborghini factory driver Marco Mapelli.

On track action begins with the Roar Before the Rolex 24 next weekend, which will include qualifying for the Rolex 24 on Sunday afternoon.
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/full ... -released/

FULL ENTRY LIST DAYTONA 24H
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Herta is driving ... two cars?
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Will Power is set to make his debut in the 24 Hours of Daytona.

Power will join American-based Australian Kenny Habul in the Sun Energy1 Racing Team’s Mercedes-AMG GT3 at Daytona.

Im not sure he has ever driven anything like a Merc GT3 before. I know over here he ran in Formula Fords so no Tin Top stuff. Ironically he used to race against Habul in FF in Aus back in the day. In fact Habul finished third behind Power in a Formula Ford support race at the 1999 Gold Coast Indy 300. :haha:

Habul won the Bathurst 12 hour last year in the car. Actually I like Kenny Habul..... anyone who buys a big house and land on Conrod Straight to use as a base for himself and his race team when at the 12 hour is ok by me. :haha:

Interesting comments from Will about getting used to this type of heavier car will be good and give him some experience in heavier cars in line with other bucket list stuff he has such as Bathurst 12 hour and also the 1000 in a V8SC.
“The Daytona 24 is an iconic event on the bucket list of most drivers and I have to thank Kenny [Habul] for the opportunity,” he said.

“I am looking forward to driving the heavier GT car and getting experience for, hopefully, a lot more drives like this in the future – including the Bathurst 1000 and Bathurst 12-hour back in Australia.

“It is quite funny when you look back at how Kenny and I raced Formula Ford against each other all those years ago and now we are going to be teammates.

“He chose a business route instead of chasing his racing dream and has obviously been incredibly successful. It has been great to watch him enjoy his racing later in life and actually improve as he gets older.

“Kenny obviously knows what it takes to be successful in business and is applying all those lessons to his racing – his win in the Bathurst 12-hour last year is proof of that.”

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

K Mag likely unable to race at the Daytona 24 Hours due to an unexpected hand surgery.

A bit sad if it turns out that way as I am sure both Kevin and Father Jan were looking forward to sharing the driving of the .MDK Motorsport’s Porsche 911 GT3 with each other (plus Mark Kvamme and Trenton Estep) To achieve that sharing a car at the Daytona 24hrs as Father and Son would be quite special.

Magnussen said he was suffering with a sore wrist before doctors diagnosed a cyst which needs to be removed prior to the F1 season, which starts in Bahrain on 3-5 March.

He will have to undergo the “harmless procedure” before taking a couple of weeks rest, putting his Daytona drive at risk. He will take the decision on advice from his Doctors but the prognosis is highly unlikely he will be able to drive at Daytona. :tearful: :sorrow:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Rolex 24 At Daytona History

Interesting short History video of Racing at Daytona, from the sand days through to more modern "Rolex" days.

Only 3 minutes long.

Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago Will Power is set to make his debut in the 24 Hours of Daytona.

Power will join American-based Australian Kenny Habul in the Sun Energy1 Racing Team’s Mercedes-AMG GT3 at Daytona.

Im not sure he has ever driven anything like a Merc GT3 before. I know over here he ran in Formula Fords so no Tin Top stuff. Ironically he used to race against Habul in FF in Aus back in the day. In fact Habul finished third behind Power in a Formula Ford support race at the 1999 Gold Coast Indy 300. :haha:

Habul won the Bathurst 12 hour last year in the car. Actually I like Kenny Habul..... anyone who buys a big house and land on Conrod Straight to use as a base for himself and his race team when at the 12 hour is ok by me. :haha:

Interesting comments from Will about getting used to this type of heavier car will be good and give him some experience in heavier cars in line with other bucket list stuff he has such as Bathurst 12 hour and also the 1000 in a V8SC.
“The Daytona 24 is an iconic event on the bucket list of most drivers and I have to thank Kenny [Habul] for the opportunity,” he said.

“I am looking forward to driving the heavier GT car and getting experience for, hopefully, a lot more drives like this in the future – including the Bathurst 1000 and Bathurst 12-hour back in Australia.

“It is quite funny when you look back at how Kenny and I raced Formula Ford against each other all those years ago and now we are going to be teammates.

“He chose a business route instead of chasing his racing dream and has obviously been incredibly successful. It has been great to watch him enjoy his racing later in life and actually improve as he gets older.

“Kenny obviously knows what it takes to be successful in business and is applying all those lessons to his racing – his win in the Bathurst 12-hour last year is proof of that.”
Sadly Power has had to withdraw due to his wife's illness.

https://the-race.com/indycar/power-pull ... s-illness/
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Sad but understandable. Family comes first when its a health issue. Plus they has a young son who probably needs his Dad around while Mums away.
Wish Liz a full and speedy recovery. She has I believe had to have back surgery and is or has been in ICU following 'complications'.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Daytona Thursday Notebook

John Dagys’ first notebook from Daytona International Speedway with Roar set to kick off…

by John Dagys January 19, 2023

***The majority of IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship teams unloaded this morning at Daytona International Speedway for the next 11 days that will include the Roar Before the Rolex 24 followed by the race week itself. GTP teams were required to load-in on Monday for additional safety and technical inspections.

***In addition to Thursday’s activities in the garage area, WeatherTech Championship competitors took part in IMSA’s Media Day in the Daytona 500 Champions Club, offering journalists time to speak to drivers prior to the start of official track action.

***Open-wheel rising star Francesco Pizzi has completed Proton Competition’s lineup in its No. 55 Oreca 07 Gibson alongside Fred Poordad, James Allen and Gianmaria Bruni, who makes his second-ever LMP2 start after an outing in Pecom Racing’s Oreca 03 in the 2012 European Le Mans Series round at Paul Ricard.

***Bruni told Sportscar365 that he’s “99 percent” set to drive Proton’s LMP2 entry in the ELMS this year, although the remainder of the lineup remains to be determined. The Porsche factory driver will also be part of Proton’s customer Porsche 963 effort when it comes online later this year.

***Dries Vanthoor is the reserve driver for BMW M Team RLL at Daytona. The Belgian GT3 star, who won the Hankook 24H Dubai last weekend, is on standby in case one of the seven main drivers is unable to take part. Vanthoor told Sportscar365 that he hasn’t yet driven the BMW M Hybrid V8.

***Several GTP teams took part in shakedowns and tests prior to arriving at Daytona. Porsche Penske Motorsport conducted a two-day test at Sebring International Raceway last weekend, in what marked the first running for its second dedicated race chassis.

***The two Porsche 963s covered nearly 2,200 kms during the test, putting its total mileage with the car at 32,000 kms since the initial rollout one year ago in Weissach. Cadillac is understood to be the manufacturer with the second-most mileage with its LMDh car with more than 20,000 km.

***Meyer Shank Racing, meanwhile, completed a shakedown of its Acura ARX-06 at the Concours Club near Miami with Tom Blomqvist, Colin Braun and Helio Castroneves in attendance.

***In addition to the GTP tables, IMSA released the Balance of Performance for the GTD Pro and GTD classes, which will continue to run to identical BoP. Click Here to view the table which sees some notable changes from last year’s race. Daytona has typically resulted in an event-specific BoP due to the nature of the track.

***A revised version of the LMDh technical regulations was released by the ACO and IMSA on Wednesday, featuring a handful of clarifications related to permitted cockpit modifications for driver fit, among other items.

***IMSA and Michelin have adjusted the GTP class tire allocations from its originally announced numbers. Teams now have a total of 33 sets (12 soft ‘low temperature’ and 21 soft ‘high temperature’) to be used for the combined Roar and Rolex 24 event and 21 sets for the race (9 SLT, 12 SHT).

***Previously the allocations for the Roar and the Rolex 24 were split up. The numbers compare to a maximum of 38 sets of tires that were permitted in the DPi class last year at this event.

***Per the the Rolex 24 supplementary regulations, the SLT compound will only be permitted to be utilized in the night testing and practice sessions at the Roar and Rolex 24, respectively, as well as a yet-to-be determined night-time time window during the race that IMSA and Michelin will declare closer to the event based on ambient conditions.

***Risi Competizione’s new Ferrari 296 GT3 completed a shakedown on Monday at MotorSport Ranch in Texas with Anthony Lazzaro at the wheel prior to arriving at Daytona according to the team’s chief engineer Rick Mayer. The Houston-based team announced on Thursday a return for the full Michelin Endurance Cup races this year in GTD Pro.

***CrowdStrike Racing by APR conducted five days of testing with its ex-Team Penske Oreca 07 Gibson prior to arriving at Daytona, including tests at Apex Motor Club and Podium Club Attesa, both near Phoenix, according to the team’s technical director and race engineer David Leach.

***Leach told Sportscar365 that the team, which has set up its U.S. base at Apex, has acquired equipment from the now-defunct CORE autosport team, including a transporter. The CrowdStrike program only came together in November after CORE closed its doors, as Kurtz was initially tabbed to again drive in the team’s Ligier JS P320 Nissan in LMP3.

***CORE’s multiple Ligier chassis, meanwhile, have gone to Sean Creech Motorsport, while a number of its crew have found work with other WeatherTech Championship teams in the paddock.

***Chip Ganassi Racing’s global director of operations Mike O’Gara will be calling strategy on the No. 01 Cadillac V-LMDh this year, which sees Danielle Shepherd move over from the No. 02 car to serve as lead engineer on the full-season WeatherTech Championship entry.

***CGR’s FIA World Endurance Championship team manager Stephen Mitas, meanwhile, will call strategy on the No. 02 next weekend, with John Hennek moving over to engineer the blue-colored Cadillac of Richard Westbrook, Alex Lynn and Earl Bamber.

***As previously reported by Sportscar365, former lead mechanic Jamie Coates is now serving as team manager for CGR’s WeatherTech Championship effort.

***Brandon Fry has been promoted to Vice President of Team RLL’s IMSA operations and technical director as part of a management shakeup that’s seen Steve Eriksen join the organization as Chief Operating Officer.

***Longtime IMSA official Geoff Carter is no longer with the organization, with his most recent position as senior director of series platforms apparently having been eliminated. An IMSA spokesperson told Sportscar365 that they will not comment on staff changes.

***Filipe Albuquerque’s helmet has been refreshed for the coming season to include glow-in-the-dark Acura ‘S’ logos between the Portuguese driver’s familiar yellow, red and green stripes.

***Renger van der Zande is also sporting a new helmet design, commemorating the Dutchman’s tenth year of racing in America. He told Sportscar365 that he plans to use it for the full season in the No. 01 Cadillac Racing GTP entry.

***Van der Zande has launched his own racing insurance business, Pogona, which insures drivers, cars and teams. A number of competitors in the paddock, including MDK Motorsports, are insured by his new company, as well as competitors worldwide. MDK’s Porsche 911 GT3 R is sporting the Pogona logo this weekend.

***Van der Zande said: “I asked Mark [Kvamme, MDK team owner/driver] to move the logo from the side of the car to the rear so I can see it when I pass it on track!”

***In a change for this year, top class cars will not complete final post-race tech inspection until the Monday after the Rolex 24. All selected GTP cars will be impounded immediately and take part in preliminary inspections before being placed in a secured garage location, with final post-race tech inspection to be held on Mon. Jan. 30 beginning at 8:30 a.m.

***Corvette Racing enters its 25th year of competition in 2023, with the Rolex 24 marking the first race for Antonio Garcia, Jordan Taylor and Tommy Milner as a driving trio. All three of the drivers have shared a Corvette with one another at some stage but have never formed the same lineup until now.

***Milner, who moves over from the team’s WEC program, will be focused on the Michelin Endurance Cup races with the team as well as development duties of the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 GT3.R, which will be unveiled at Daytona International Speedway next Friday.

***Jules Gounon, who is set for his first full WeatherTech Championship season, is racing under an Andorran race license this year. The Frenchman, who lives in Andorra, made the switch during the off-season.

***IMSA Radio is back for 2023 with the unchanged full-season lineup of John Hindhaugh, Jeremy Shaw and Shea Adam, who are all on-site this weekend and aim to broadcast every on-track WeatherTech Championship session plus the pair of VP Challenge races.

***The VP Challenge races take place Saturday at 2 p.m. ET and Sunday at 12:15 p.m. with live coverage in U.S. on Peacock. Qualifying for the Rolex 24 will be on IMSA.tv, with no geo restrictions, beginning Sunday at 1:20 p.m.

Daniel Lloyd contributed to this report
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/dayt ... tebook-14/
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

MSR’s Braun Quickest in Opening Session at Roar

No. 60 Meyer Shank Racing Acura ARX-06 paces opening session at Roar Before Rolex 24…

by John Dagys January 20, 2023

The No. 60 Meyer Shank Racing Acura ARX-06 of Colin Braun led the way in the opening session at the Roar Before the Rolex 24.

Braun reeled off a quick lap of 1:35.635 to edge out the No. 7 Porsche Penske Motorsport Porsche 963 of Felipe Nasr by 0.141 seconds in the 90-minute session at Daytona International Speedway.

Ricky Taylor made it two Acuras in the top three, thanks to a 1:35.803 lap in the No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing with Andretti Autosport entry, which was just 0.005 seconds quicker than Nick Yelloly in the No. 25 BMW M Team RLL entry.

The No. 6 Porsche of Mathieu Jaminet completed the top-five.

The three Cadillac V-LMDh cars brought up the rear of the nine-car GTP class field, with the No. 31 Action Express entry only completing four laps in the hands of Pipo Derani, ending the session 58th quickest overall.

LMP2 was led by the No. 52 PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports Oreca 07 Gibson of Alex Quinn, who recorded a 1:39.167 lap time that was nearly two-tenths clear of Oliver Jarvis’ Era Motorsports entry in second.

Cameron Shields was quickest in LMP3 in the No. 38 Performance Tech Motorsports Ligier JS P320 Nissan, meanwhile.

Aston Martin Vantage GT3s went 1-2-3 in the production-based ranks, led by the No. 44 Magnus Racing entry of Andy Lally.

Lally’s 1:47.004 lap in his GTD class Aston was 0.060 seconds quicker than Aston Martin factory driver Ross Gunn, who paced GTD Pro in the No. 23 The Heart of Racing entry.

Owen Trinkler was second in GTD Pro in the No. 64 Team TGM Aston, meanwhile.

The No. 14 Vasser Sullivan Lexus RC F GT3 of Jack Hawksworth was best of the rest, placing third in GTD Pro, followed by the GTD class No. 93 Racers Edge Motorsports with WTR Acura NSX GT3 Evo22 of Kyle Marcelli.

The session saw three red flags, the first two for LMP3 stoppages by the No. 17 AWA Duqueine D08 Nissan and No. 74 Riley Ligier, respectively, followed by the No. 3 Chevrolet Corvette C8.R GTD of Jordan Taylor coming to a halt on the apron of NASCAR Turn 3.

The second and final WeatherTech Championship session of the day gets underway at 4:15 p.m. ET and runs through 6 p.m.

RESULTS: Session 1
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/msrs ... n-at-roar/
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The roar before Practice / Test Session 1

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Nice field.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Daytona Saturday Notebook

John Dagys’ Saturday notebook from Roar Before Rolex 24 at Daytona…

by John Dagys January 21, 2023

Photo: Michelin

***Saturday’s track action at the Roar Before the Rolex 24 for the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship included two additional sessions, totaling 2.5 hours, with a two-hour night session still to run, which begins at 6:30 p.m. ET.

***Rain is expected to impact the session, with showers currently over Daytona International Speedway and forecast through midnight. Michelin IMSA WeatherTech Series manager Hans Emmel told Sportscar365 that they’ve run the new Michelin GTP class wet weather tire at several different tracks through its development process.

***Colin Braun said Meyer Shank Racing has been getting “leaps and bounds better and better” with dialing in its Acura ARX-06. The No. 60 GTP class entry has topped all four timed sessions so far. Braun’s 1:35.038 from Session 4 stands as quickest of the weekend.

***Braun said: “We’re really pretty darn happy with the car right now. Obviously we have good speed, we’re just working through our program and trying to continue to check boxes as we close down on the time we have to get ready for the big race.”

***Both of the Acuras encountered minor issues in Saturday morning’s session, with the No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing with Andretti Autosport entry undergoing a fuel pump change and the No. 60 MSR car having a brake issue due to an air leak that resulted in a 20-minute spell in the garage.

***The No. 79 WeatherTech Racing Mercedes-AMG GT3 Evo has faced continued setbacks, with a differential issue taking it out of Session 4. The Proton Competition-run GTD Pro entry has so far only completed a single session after it lost considerable time on Friday with a fuel cell issue.

***Frederik Schandorff, who has been the quickest driver in the production-based ranks so far this weekend in the No. 70 Inception Racing McLaren 720S GT3, believes teams with the brand new Ferrari 296 GT3 and Porsche 911 GT3 R are not yet playing their full hand.

***The No. 21 AF Corse Ferrari has been the fastest new GT3 car so far, with the 13th quickest time combined between the GTD Pro and GTD contenders. The seven Type-992 Porsches are all at the bottom of the time sheets, meanwhile.

***Schandorff said: “I think everyone in the GT field expected them to be there because they’re coming with a new car so they don’t want to show too much performance. Of course, everyone in IMSA knows our speed from last year so we don’t need to hide anything because we are even slower than what we did last year in practice. I believe the other guys — Ferrari and Porsche — are playing a good game and hopefully they will improve.”

***GT3 star Raffaele Marciello told Sportscar365 he will need to “learn and adapt” on his LMP2 debut with High Class Racing. Explaining how the drive arose, Marciello said: “I didn’t have any chance with AMG to do this race because they didn’t have many cars racing. I had a chance to do this race and I took it.”

***Marciello added that he tested an Oreca 07 Gibson at Valellunga “a few years ago” but that was his only prior experience in the ubiquitous LMP2 machine.

***Paul-Loup Chatin is poised to complete the full season in the No. 52 PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports Oreca 07 Gibson according to Ben Keating, who reaffirmed his Michelin Endurance Cup-only commitment in the car. Keating said fellow Bronze-rated driver Patrick Kelly is expected to be in the entry for the three sprint rounds.

***Trueman Award winner John Farano is figuring out how his entry into the 24 Hours of Le Mans will pan out. Farano has been discussing with an unnamed European team about using their car and parts, or shipping Tower Motorsport’s second Oreca chassis over to Europe for the event. Farano told Sportscar365: “If I select a team, they’re going to supply everything, that way, we don’t have to worry about the logistics and we’ll just keep our spare here for testing. To be honest, we’re still trying to finalize that.”

***Tower won’t enter an FIA World Endurance Championship round in preparation for Le Mans, instead opting to test at a European circuit. Tower crew members will be involved in the entry: “They were part of this, about getting the award and the invite,” Farano added. “They’re excited to go, so I want to make sure they’re going to be part of that as well.”

***Triarsi Competizione will run a single Ferrari 296 GT3 in Fanatec GT World Challenge America powered by AWS this year according to team owner and driver Onofrio Triarsi. He and Charlie Scardina won the 2022 Am title but will now focus on the Endurance Cup season. Ryan Dalziel and Justin Wetherill are signed up for GTWC America. It’s understood that the slimmed down SRO program is partly due to availability reasons, with Triarsi only having two new Ferraris delivered so far.

***Triarsi shook down its GTD class Ferrari at Homestead-Miami Speedway before bringing it to the Roar. “The car got delivered just before the event, so we didn’t have much time with it,” Triarsi told Sportscar365. “But the crew is doing a phenomenal job, going through all the updates and sorting out any little issues. Things are looking good.”

***Newly minted Lamborghini factory driver Jordan Pepper revealed that he signed his factory contract with the Italian manufacturer shortly after last year’s 24 Hours of Spa, admitting that it was “quite hard” to keep a secret until the official announcement dropped last week.

***Pepper told Sportscar365: “You get so many people wondering what I was going to do. I kind of became the guy just to do private deals, jumping around, and a lot of people expected that I was going to continue that into 2023. I knew that I was at least signed and sealed with Lamborghini.”

***While his primary focus will be on a full season program in Fanatec GT World Challenge Europe powered by AWS and a second yet-to-be-announced program, Pepper said he’s hopeful of contesting one or two more WeatherTech Championship races this year with Iron Lynx, which is committed to the Endurance Cup with its GTD Pro class entry.

***Members of Action Express Racing were presented rings for their 2021 IMSA DPi team championship season by Sonny and Christine Whelen – owners of Whelen Engineering, the primary sponsor on the No. 31 Cadillac V-LMDh. “It’s a little emotional because we won the championship in 2021 and it shows that despite all the [medical] issues they’ve had they still consider us part of their family,” said Pipo Derani.

***Jim Jonsin, a Grammy Award-winning record producer, songwriter, DJ and music industry businessman, plans to release a song at each round of the Michelin Pilot Challenge season, totaling a ten-track collaboration featuring various artists. For next week’s season opener, Rebel Rock and Empire will release the first single, “No Limits” featuring Kid Rock, Jimmie Allen, Austin Mahone and Striking Matches. The song will be available across all streaming platforms beginning on Friday.

***Porsche legend Alwin Springer’s highly anticipated book on his career of racing with Porsche in North America is due out in April. Authored by Springer and Wilfried Mueller, the 460-page hardcover edition will be limited to 962 copies, numbered by hand.

***To celebrate the 20th anniversary of TRG’s 2003 Rolex 24 at Daytona overall victory, Kevin Buckler will be hosting a “five-star VIP infield experience” at the Boardwalk Club on Lake Lloyd next weekend. The experience will include an ‘all driver reunion’ and a display including the Porsche 996 GT3-RS along with other TRG cars and guest-owned race cars.

***The reunion will be a fully catered experience featuring gourmet chefs and select varieties from Buckler’s Adobe Road Winery. “We couldn’t be more excited to share our legacy with our motorsports family and the race aficionados that enthusiastically make this sport so thrilling,” said Buckler.
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/dayt ... otebook-8/
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

Blomqvist Takes First GTP Pole for New Era at Daytona

Tom Blomqvist puts Acura ARX-06 on pole position for 61st Rolex 24 at Daytona…

by John Dagys January 22, 2023

Photo: Mike Levitt/IMSA

Tom Blomqvist has scored the first pole position of the new GTP era, taking Meyer Shank Racing to top qualifying honors for the 61st annual Rolex 24 at Daytona.

Blomqvist reeled off a best lap of 1:34.031 in the No. 60 Acura ARX-06 to edge out the No. 7 Porsche Penske Motorsport Porsche 963 of Felipe Nasr by 0.083 seconds.

Ricky Taylor set the two quickest times in qualifying prior to a red flag for an accident by Nick Tandy in the No. 6 Porsche at the Le Mans Chicane with seven minutes to go.

Tandy limped the Porsche to the pit lane with left-front nose damage.

It set up a quick restart that gave a handful of cars one timed lap, including both the Nos. 60 and 7 cars that along with the No. 01 Chip Ganassi Racing Cadillac V-LMDh of Sebastien Bourdais that made improvements.

Blomqvist’s pole came after changing Michelin tires early in the 20-minute session, capitalizing on a new rule for this season.

Taylor’s 1:34.198 lap time was good enough to hold up for third quickest in the No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing with Andretti Autosport Acura.

Bourdais qualified fourth, ahead of the sister No. 02 Cadillac of Alex Lynn and fellow Cadillac entrant Action Express Racing with driver Pipo Derani.

The two BMW M Hybrid V8s brought up the rear of the nine-car GTP field, led by Phillip Eng in the No. 24 entry, who was less than two-tenths ahead of teammate Nick Yelloly in the No. 25 machine.

Mercedes-AMG Dominates GT Ranks

Philip Ellis scored the GTD pole, leading a Mercedes-AMG sweep of the top four starting positions in the production-based ranks.

The Winward Racing driver reeled off a best lap of 1:46.093 to edge out the No. 75 SunEnergy1 Racing entry of Fabian Schiller by 0.219 seconds.

Mikael Grenier will start third in GTD in the No. 32 Team Korthoff Motorsports entry, followed by the GTD Pro class pole-sitting No. 79 WeatherTech Racing Mercedes of Maro Engel.

Engel’s 1:46.784 lap time came late in the session to bump the No. 23 The Heart of Racing Aston Martin Vantage GT3 of Ross Gunn to second in class and fifth overall.

The No. 93 Racers Edge Motorsports with WTR Acura NSX GT3 Evo22 of Kyle Marcelli was sixth in the combined results, followed by Ben Barnicoat’s GTD Pro class No. 14 Lexus RC F GT3 and the No. 66 Gradient Racing Acura of Kyle Marcelli.

Jan Heylen was the quickest Porsche 911 GT3 R in qualifying, having set the 21st fastest time, which was some 2.8 seconds off Ellis’ pole-winning time.

All of the new Type-992 Porsches have struggled so far at the Roar, having brought up the rear of the time charts.

Keating, Pino Take LMP2, LMP3 Poles

Ben Keating scored the pole in LMP2 in his No. 52 PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports Oreca 07 Gibson, outpacing the nearest competition by more than a second.

Keating’s 1:40.541 lap time was 1.210 seconds ahead of Francois Heriau in the No. 35 TDS Racing Oreca, with Steven Thomas’ sister TDS machine set to line up third on the grid in class.

The session was red-flagged due to a heavy accident by the No. 8 Tower Motorsport Oreca of John Farano, who made contact with the tire barriers at the Le Mans Chicane just prior to halfway through the session.

It came as Fred Poordad had a separate, less severe impact in the No. 55 Proton Competition Oreca.

IMSA added 1 minute to the elapsed time to make the session official once the cleanup was completed.

LMP3 class pole honors went to the No. 33 Sean Creech Motorsport Ligier JS P320 Nissan of Nico Pino, thanks to a 1:43.197 by the 18-year-old Chilean driver to edge out Dakota Dickerson in the No. 36 Andretti Autosport entry by 0.110 seconds.

Cameron Shields qualified third in the No. 38 Performance Tech Motorsports Ligier, meanwhile.

Track action resumes on Thursday with the start of official practice for the Florida endurance classic.

RESULTS: Qualifying
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/blom ... t-daytona/
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Bus Bros Daytona edition is in the works.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I know I use this and I assume others do as well so:

Spotter Guide https://spotterguides.com/portfolio/23_imsa/

Might as well throw these useful links in as well:

IMSA Official Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/@imsaofficial

IMSA TV - https://imsatv.imsa.com/ I think this will be the Live Stream for International Viewers

Live Timing - https://livetiming.alkamelsystems.com/imsa/
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.