Ken Block killed in snowmobile accident

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Ken Block killed in snowmobile accident

Post by acerogers58 »

Stuntman and Rally driver Ken Block has passed away after a snowmobile accident aged 55.

"Pro rally driver and Hoonigan co-founder Ken Block was killed in a snowmobile accident on Monday, Hoonigan and local authorities confirmed.

Block, a prolific figure in the car community, was 55 years old. A co-founder of DC shoes, he moved into the world of rally and quickly made a name for himself, developing the Hoonigan brand and creating the much-loved Gymkhana video series.

"It's with our deepest regrets that we can confirm that Ken Block passed away in a snowmobile accident today," a statement from Hoonigan says. "Ken was a visionary, a pioneer, and an icon. And most importantly, a father and a husband."

The Wasatch County Sheriff's Office in Utah confirmed Block's death in a statement published on Facebook. Block was riding on a steep slope in the Mill Hollow area outside Woodland, Utah at around 2:00 p.m. when his snowmobile "upended, landing on top of him," police said. Block was riding with a group but alone at the time of the incident. He was pronounced dead at the scene."

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Wow.... I was never really a fan of his but regardless he was quite an inventive guy with his stunts and stuff. Sad that he was taken in a non motorsports related 'silly' accident. Similar I guess to Schumacher in terms of context. Surrounded his life with danger and avoided serious injury until a silly social activity took it all away.

RIP Ken Block

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Microsprinter18 »

That's absolutely crazy. I remember just a few days ago me and some friends were talking about how Ken Block was one of the potential candidates to drive the #77 IndyCar that Dan Wheldon would eventually ride up to the heavens in at Las Vegas.

Now this. It's absolutely unreal. RIP to one of the best.
yes, I am the NASCAR flip list guy...
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Topic split. This is insane news. What a horrible way to start off 2023. RIP Ken and thoughts to his family.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Ken was sharing posts and stories on Instagram only 14 hours ago. It looks like he was in Utah for a few days and there's photos of his snowmobile outside his house: https://www.instagram.com/kblock43/
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Puhis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Rallying
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 79
Favourite Driver: Mika Häkkinen
Favourite Circuit: Nürburgring
Car(s) Currently Owned: -

Post by Puhis »

One of those who seemed immortal. I was never much of a fan when it came to the whole Hoonigan culture and whatnot, call me "traditional" in that regard, but at the same time... The stunts he pulled, and his skill were certainly worthy of appreciation. He also had a hand in bringing rallycross and rallying to the mainstream, and I will say I did rep DC branded stuff pretty hard in my early 20s and onwards. He was an institution of an entire lifestyle. It's incredibly sad that he had to go before his time, but at the same time, it's a good reminder that while some may seem eternal, none of us truly are.

Rest in peace, Ken.
"When you put the car into the wall, you have made some mistake before it's in the wall."

-Tapani Linnaluoto, my commentary partner during a Classic Lotus Grand Prix race at Watkins Glen.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Never heard of the guy. Googling "Hoonigan", the first thing I find is "The ultimate destination for drifting, burnouts, doughnuts and other acts of automotive aeronautics". None of the things I will ever miss, in fact the exact opposite. Died thirty years too late?
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

They're fancy words for car control, which is something any Motorsport or car fan will be impressed by, even if they don't enjoy it.

RIP Ken Block
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Well, okay, that was a bit harsh, but I don't agree with DF's assessment, either. Drifting, burnouts and doughnuts are a nuisance, and have nothing to do with racing; they're merely signs of immature chavs trying to attract attention their personalities don't merit. Nothing to be impressed by, absolutely not!
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Those who knew Ken Block will tell you he's far from that, and his personality and success go beyond "donuts and burnouts".

Baja 1000, European and World Rallycross, American Rallying, WRC, Gumball, he's done a lot in the Motorsport scene.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Kaptn
Favourite Motorsport: Open wheel
Favourite Circuit: Road America Wisconsin

Post by Kaptn »

What a shame. R I P
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

I was an avid follower of Ken. I loved the entire Gymkhana series. It's more like rally driving around obstacles to give some perspective to those that have never seen it. I loved every minute of it and this is coming from someone who hates "Formula Drift" stuff with a passion. There was also a drag race series I enjoyed (This vs That). Some of his custom cars were simply awesome and the craft that went into making a 1400HP Methanol stunt car was impressive.
Series linked for reference:https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... GCplUazKlu

He was also very involved in many other motorsports activities and his teenage daughter was starting to take up the mantle as she appeared/drove in several of his recent videos.

RIP Ken Block.

Edit... some pics of his custom machines:

:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

I've never been a fan of drifting/doughnuts/powerslides/burnouts, but when I saw a video of him many years ago, I thought it was really impressive.
Also, even if quite old, he participated in some WRC rallies, and didn't do bad.
Also, I've just remembered I saw him at the Motor Show in Bologna in December 2014.
This is the only photo i have of him (and it's quite blurry, too):

Motorsportrace
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: British Touring Car Championship
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton

Post by Nononsensecapeesh »

Rest in Peace Ken Block.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

WRC retires #43 for Ken Block

The FIA World Rally Championship has retired the use of #43 for the 2023 season in honour of Ken Block.

I knew he had done 'some' rallies but was surprised to read he made 25 WRC starts, scoring 18 points in WRC between 2007 and his final start in 2018.

He made his debut at Rally Mexico in 2007, going onto record his best result of seventh in the 2013 Mexican rally for his Hoonigan Racing Division team, with Rally Catalunya in 2018 his final WRC event. Mexico 2013 was his final points finish in WRC.

During his WRC career Block usually drove Ford Fiestas and competed under his traditional #43 – a number synonymous with his motorsport ventures. (His final 3 WRC events were in an Impreza not using #43)

His WRC record by event is here https://www.ewrc-results.com/profile/245-ken-block/1

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always