FIA to start process for new teams to join F1

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

FIA to start process for new teams to join F1

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

The FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem has revealed he is looking to expand the Formula 1 grid by appealing for expressions of interest for potential new teams.

Yay..... about time. We know there is interest from Andretti. I suspect Sulayem has it in mind to find some middle east team, given his fixation on making everything F1 focussed on the area.

However we know from the whole Andretti process that the likes of Toto are very anti given the potential to dilute his take of the F1 Pie.
I know we have a thread on the Andretti attempt but felt with this more general widespread focus on new teams deserved it own thread.

Anyway, its something to discuss at a quiet time of year....

The F1 grid has stood at 10 teams since the collapse of the Manor squad at the end of the 2016 season, but the series has enjoyed a significant commercial boom in the meantime.

It has led to a number of parties publicly expressing a desire to join the F1 grid, the most notable being Andretti Global, headed up by Michael Andretti.

Until now, the FIA has not made any public indication that it would look to evaluate potential new teams through a tender process, leaving the grid set at 10 teams for the foreseeable future.

But in a tweet sent from his official account on Monday, FIA president Ben Sulayem revealed he was talking to his team about starting the process to allow new teams to join the grid.

“I have asked my FIA team to look at launching an Expressions of Interest process for prospective new teams for the FIA F1 World Championship,” read the tweet.

The start of a formal process could pave the way for an interested party such as Andretti to join the F1 grid in the future, although there would still be a number of hurdles for any successful applicant to negotiate.

Andretti’s efforts to get on the grid have so far hit a brick wall amid uncertainty from many of the existing teams that believe it would benefit the whole of F1 commercially. Only McLaren and Alpine have publicly stated their support for Andretti’s plans.

Under the existing Concorde Agreement, signed in 2020, the teams have set out the split of the prize money awarded from F1’s revenue 10 ways, meaning the addition of an 11th team could reduce their slice of the pie.

To combat this, a dilution fund was written into the Concorde Agreement that would require any new entrant to pay $200 million to join the grid, which would be split between the other teams.

Andretti has said he is prepared to pay this fee to get his F1 operation up and running, but doubts have been raised by many that this is enough to make up for the possible lost revenue.

“The dilution fund was set a few years ago, when the value of Formula 1 was different,” Haas F1 chief Gunther Steiner said in June.

“I think one of the things will be, should we readjust it to current market rate, which is a lot more than that. But I think that's a very difficult process to do.”

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff said in May that any new team would have to prove it could be “accretive” to the overall value of F1.

“If a team comes in, how can you demonstrate that you're bringing in more money than it's actually costing?” he said. “Because the 11th team means a 10% dilution for everybody else.”
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/fia-p ... /10416451/
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Stefan GP was making noises as late as 2019.

Make it happen!
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I hope it happens, but only if the teams who come in actually stand a chance of A) Being there more than a couple of seasons and B) Don't trail round at the back of the field being a moving hazard as some have done before them.

Change is good sometimes and if new teams can come in and shake things up, I'm all for it. These days it's so much harder to put together a team, especially a private one, unlike in the old days when pretty much anyone who really wanted to could have a go.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

How are new teams going to "come in and shake up things" when seven or eight of the existing teams are not able to? Serious question.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

The only way they could would be via the F1 equivalent of a draft system. But instead of first picks, it would be either budget cap concessions, or more prize money for X years.

However, none of the teams would agree to either of those.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Michael Ferner wrote: 1 year ago How are new teams going to "come in and shake up things" when seven or eight of the existing teams are not able to? Serious question.

Well by coming in and being really fast and reliable from the get go. Fast enough to get on the podium or even a win or two in their first season maybe. I know, that's highly unrealistic but you can't completely rule it out surely.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

I doubt any new team will really "shake things up". However they could create new sources of ideas for the other teams to innovate around. New aero shapes, new set ups, or new race strategies. Fresh blood with a new perspective is always good after a long period of stagnation.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

I'm still a proponent of build a car to the rules and turn up on Friday, but that's too simple for F1 it seems.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Oh well, the first to bite and make an announcement in response to the FIA atalking of starting the process to look at new teams joining F1.... and guess who it is.....

Andretti and Cadillac announce Formula 1 entry plans

Andretti Global and Cadillac have announced plans to enter a new Formula 1 team in the coming years after the FIA started the process to expand the grid.
In an announcement made on Thursday, Andretti and General Motors revealed their plan to enter an “all-American team” in response to the FIA’s call for expressions of interest as an Andretti Cadillac team.
“We are continuing to grow Andretti Global and its family of racing teams and always have our eyes on what’s next,” said Michael Andretti, the chairman and CEO of Andretti Global.

“I feel that we are well suited to be a new team for Formula 1 and can bring value to the series and our partners, and excitement for the fans.

“I’m proud to have GM and Cadillac alongside us as we pursue this goal. GM and Andretti share a legacy born out of the love of racing. We now have the opportunity to combine our motorsport passions and dedication to innovation to build a true American F1 bid.”

In an announcement made on Thursday, Andretti and General Motors revealed their plan to enter an “all-American team” in response to the FIA’s call for expressions of interest as an Andretti Cadillac team.

“We are continuing to grow Andretti Global and its family of racing teams and always have our eyes on what’s next,” said Michael Andretti, the chairman and CEO of Andretti Global.

“I feel that we are well suited to be a new team for Formula 1 and can bring value to the series and our partners, and excitement for the fans.

“I’m proud to have GM and Cadillac alongside us as we pursue this goal. GM and Andretti share a legacy born out of the love of racing. We now have the opportunity to combine our motorsport passions and dedication to innovation to build a true American F1 bid.”

Asked if the plan was still to hand Herta one of the seats, Andretti said: “We definitely have plan to have an American driver. I think you all know who is leading the pack on that one.

“Colton we have under contract right now in Indycar. We want to make this an all-American effort to make sure we have an American driver in the seat.”
The potential team would initially receive a power unit supply from another engine manufacturer, but both Andretti and Cadillac are set to offer technical support as part of a collaboration. The idea is for GM to initially re-badge the power unit of another manufacturer before rolling out its own technical expertise and products.

The team would operate chiefly out of the new Andretti Global headquarters that is under construction in Fishers, Indiana, due to start operations in 2025. A satellite facility would also operate out of Europe for the team, as well as aiding with Andretti’s other racing interests.

The process for Andretti and Cadillac to join the grid is one that requires the support of F1 itself and the current teams, only two of which have been publicly supportive of Andretti's plans amid concerns of the potential financial impact.

Any new team joining the F1 field is required to pay a $200 million fee as a dilution fund that is split between the current grid to make up for splitting the teams’ payouts with another entrant.

Cadillac’s interest in Formula 1 follows an expansion of its racing operations in recent times to include an entry to the World Endurance Championship under the new LMDh regulations.
“Cadillac and F1 both have growing global appeal,” said Mark Reuss, the president of General Motors. “Our brand has a motorsports pedigree that’s more than a century in the making, and we would be proud to have the opportunity to bring our distinct American innovation and design to F1.”
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/andre ... /10417491/

The FIA were quick to acknowledge the Andretti Cadillac announcement. I wonder if Sulayem has let the teams know that the FIA not them make the rules yet?

Cue another rant from Toto saying "No Benny, NoNo Benny this is so not right, this cannot happen"

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

There seems to be building hatred of Toto for some unknown reason. The guy has his money on the line, so it seems only natural if he is concerned about the dilution of his income which Liberty and FiA are pushing onto teams. All teams bar two are concerned about expansion without compensation. Compare investment Liberty and FiA vs money (knowledge and risk) teams are pouring in. FiA and Liberty would be homeless without people giving them money.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Hhmmm... errr... no. FIA and Liberty provide the business opportunity for Mr. Wolff. If Toto doesn't wanna play, somebody else will.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Biggest in F1 since.... well, when Audi announced their engagement last summer.

Has GM ever been in F1 before?
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

If their Indycars are any indication, I for one welcome unreliability back to Formula 1!

Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Cheeveer wrote: 1 year ago Biggest in F1 since.... well, when Audi announced their engagement last summer.

No, never.

This fish might be too big for Toto Wolff to swallow and while he's clearly against Andretti F1 entry for whatever reason the Cadillac/GM combo is a clear upgrade not to mention F1 is run by American company after all. Even Wolff isn't that powerful to veto that entry IMO.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Cheeveer wrote: 1 year ago Biggest in F1 since.... well, when Audi announced their engagement last summer.

Does Lotus count?