2023 Pre-Season Stuff, Launch Dates, Testing etc

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

2023 Pre-Season Stuff, Launch Dates, Testing etc

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

OK we have the first new car launch date set, hence the 2023 Pre Season thread. Here is the place for any pre season stuff .

Just I guess start off with the next track action....

When is F1 pre-season testing?

F1 2023 pre-season testing will take place on 23-25 February at the Bahrain International Circuit.
Just the one session of three days this year, so not a lot of time. This will be the first chance to see the new cars and drivers in action. Pretty much evolutionary I would say, with nothing new like this year. We know that the usual thing is we dont see the real thing in testing and have to wait until P1 for the first race for that..... mind you maybe with just three days to play with this will be more like the second / final test and not so much time or need to hide secrets. Maybe Merc will come up with larger sidepods, although I guess they seemed to be getting on top of. the early season issuess they suffered this yer.

Car Launches

I must admit I thought most of the launches would be in pit lane at testing but Aston Martin is the first to announce a date....
Aston will unveil its new AMR23 F1 challenger with a live event from its Silverstone campus on February 13th 2023.

The reveal will take place in front of a small select audience as well as be broadcast across its digital channels.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Yes, but Seb won't be there will he? :tearful:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Ferrari are apparently going to unveil their car on Valentine's day, February 14th. So there's a date for the diary.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Did you hear it? Nah nor did I.

Apparently Mercedes is the first team to confirm it has fired up its 2023 car as it continues preparations for next season
Shortly before factory staff disappeared for the Christmas break, Mercedes hit its target of getting the W14 fired up at Brackley before the holidays.

In a short video published by Mercedes, the team teased the firing up of the car – but made sure to reveal no clues about potential changes to its design.

It has been said by Toto analysis of what had gone wrong with the W13 had prompted a change of direction for the team in 2023.

“The DNA of the car is going to change for next year, that’s clear,” said Wolff.

“It doesn’t necessarily mean that our bodywork is going to look very different. But certainly what is part of the DNA of the car, the architecture of the car, will change for next year.”

Maybe they wont continue with this zero side pod concept. Personally, I think they will. They seemed to be getting to grips with everything by the end of season, and they always said they know the zero sidepod is quicker if they can remove the downsides.

I wonder if others might try the zero sidepod thing. Or different shape sidepods.

Who knows. Or cares. :wink:

Anyway a video of people playing with cars and pressing buttons and then noisey brmmm brrmmm stuff. Not really that noisey.... its only half of a proper engine though. :sick:
Bring back the V12 3litre. :smiley:

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

AlphaTauri announced today that they will reveal their challenger for the 2023 Formula 1 season, the AT04 on February 11, 2023.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Im surprised they are being so early and in advance of testing for these car launches. Mind you I suspect they are going to be more livery launches for Sponsors than showing the actual finished ready to race cars.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago Im surprised they are being so early and in advance of testing for these car launches. Mind you I suspect they are going to be more livery launches for Sponsors than showing the actual finished ready to race cars.
Just read a bit more on it and they are indeed referring to is as a "Season launch and livery reveal"....

Edit: they suggest in a tweet that the the 2023 car, the AT 04 as it will be known, will be there. However it also includes a #liverylaunch. For some reason the launch is in New York.... New additional sponsor??? :idunno:

Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: British Touring Car Championship
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton

Post by Nononsensecapeesh »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago Did you hear it? Nah nor did I.

Apparently Mercedes is the first team to confirm it has fired up its 2023 car as it continues preparations for next season
Shortly before factory staff disappeared for the Christmas break, Mercedes hit its target of getting the W14 fired up at Brackley before the holidays.

In a short video published by Mercedes, the team teased the firing up of the car – but made sure to reveal no clues about potential changes to its design.

It has been said by Toto analysis of what had gone wrong with the W13 had prompted a change of direction for the team in 2023.

“The DNA of the car is going to change for next year, that’s clear,” said Wolff.

“It doesn’t necessarily mean that our bodywork is going to look very different. But certainly what is part of the DNA of the car, the architecture of the car, will change for next year.”

Maybe they wont continue with this zero side pod concept. Personally, I think they will. They seemed to be getting to grips with everything by the end of season, and they always said they know the zero sidepod is quicker if they can remove the downsides.

I wonder if others might try the zero sidepod thing. Or different shape sidepods.

Who knows. Or cares. :wink:

Anyway a video of people playing with cars and pressing buttons and then noisey brmmm brrmmm stuff. Not really that noisey.... its only half of a proper engine though. :sick:
Bring back the V12 3litre. :smiley:

I'd like to believe Toto Wolff on that front.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I was undecided where to put this bit of news, but it affects the 2023 season,..... but it is to do with floors and anti porpoising :whistling:
After the teams suffered last year (some more than most :wink: ) the FIA made some short term changes..... we learnt new words like Aerodynamic Oscillation Metric (AOM). The FIA also pushed through changes to the 2023 technical regulations.

One of the key ones was a 15mm raising of the floor edges, discouraging teams from wanting to run their cars so close to the ground where the porpoising problem occurs. They seem to be admitting the rule change might not solve the problem but they believe it will help :idunno:

Nikolas Tombazis, the FIA’s F1 technical director, is sure that the rule tweaks were essential but would certainly cost the teams performance in meeting the new rules. He has now opened up on the kind of performance loss that teams could be expected to be hit with.
“I’ve got no doubt we did the right thing,” he said about the decision to change the rules.“We tried to find a pragmatic, short-term solution and a medium-term solution. It won’t necessarily dissipate [porpoising] completely, but it will be a step less.”

Asked how much downforce teams will be expected to lose, Tombazis said: “Not too much. I would have thought they’re going to lose about 15 to 20 points of downforce. Maybe
. (The maybe is his word and was added on at the end).

What does it mean in real (time) terms?

F1 2023 floor changes will cost teams half a second in lap time performance for 2023 thanks to floor rule changes aimed at reducing porpoising. That is what he believes anyway.

I think he has not got a clue what the effect will be and has plucked a number out of the air. His use of the maybe word implies that to me. I reckon the teams new designs will no doubt have directly attacked the new rules and they will have found new areas of development. Im sure that by the time they have got their final evolutions worked out it might be less than that.

So the official prognosis is that the cars will be half a second / lap slower. Im not so sure. Its the very challenge the Newey's of this world love and relish. They will have found ways of minimising that half a second already. Its not like the teams have not known about the ride height change.

But I might be wrong. Unfortunately I do think that the more clever teams might minimise the loss better than others. I hope I am wrong because that does not bode well for the midfield and lower cars closing the gap to the bigger / leading teams and giving us a more competitive field.

Unless one of the midfielders finds the secret answer better than the others. :fingers: :fingers:

Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

What does "15 to 20 points" mean? 15 to 20 percent?
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Michael Ferner wrote: 1 year ago What does "15 to 20 points" mean? 15 to 20 percent?
It seems to be one of those 'secret numbers'.... something to do, not with downforce but with lift coefficients which I have no idea about. The implication seem that st's an arbitrary number for us, but a real number to the team.
This is the official explanation of what is a point of downforce quoted below.

It seems more critical is where the x points of missing downforce are as to how it will affect the balance of the car.

I guess in development and design they can 'adjust where the loss is taken to maintain a reasonable balance. :idunno: But that is me thinking out lound knowing not the intricacies of aerodynamics! :huh:
1 point is usually 0.01 of the lift coefficient, and a "count" or "unit" is usually 0.001. These are non-standardized terms so anybody can use whatever they want.

...... the 2022 cars have a Cl*A of ~6, so 5 points is ~1% of the car's downforce, assuming teams don't use their own definitions for secrecy over radio.
or if you prefer another aero dudes thoughts.....
When you test a car in the wind tunnel, or through CFD, two of the most important parameters are the drag coefficient Cd and the lift coefficient Cl.

So, you test your car and let's say you have a Cd * S of 1.157 and a Cl * S of 4.673 a point is 0.01. S is the reference area. So, considering the data as before your baseline, let's imagine you develop a new front wing, test it in the car and get a CdS of 1.168 and a CLS of 4.700

You gained 4.700-4.673= 0.027 so almost 3 points.
@Michael Ferner...... glad you asked? :haha:

Edit..... F1 Technical has a section on it. https://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8250

One of the responses there suggested
in most of the teams 1 point corresponds to 0.000048*(speed in kph)^2 kg of downforce.
i.e @ 250kph 1 point is roughly 3kg of downforce; @ 300 kph 1 point is 4.3kg of downforce

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Ferrari 2023 car will have Red Bull influences

So La Gazzetta dello Sport seems to think:

Ferrari’s new car for 2023 will be an evolution of its 2022 car with notable aerodynamic tweaks aimed at addressing their greatest shortcomings....

Some of the changes are expected to copy concepts seen on Red Bull’s 2022 design. Ferrari’s tall-edged sidepods will be shortened, creating more of a ‘double floor’ effect. The rear bodywork will be revised and feature a horizontal section incorporated above the suspension for cooling, again a feature of the RB18’s layout.

So Ferrari are designing their 2023 car to look like last years Red Bull. :wink:
I will smile if Red Bull's new car has evolved away from those concepts!

The good news is they believe they have sorted the engine reliability issue that caused a couple of race costing DNFs last year. So they believe they can go back to running it at full tilt rather than the reduced level they had to resort to late last season to get reliability

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Alpine to launch their 2023 F1 car in London on 16th February

Alpine have become the fourth team to announce the launch date for their 2023 car..... the A523 being unveiled on 16th February.

So a summary:of 2023 Launch Dates

AlphaTauri: Saturday February 11 livery launch in New York.

Aston Martin: Monday February 13 at Silverstone.

Ferrari: Tuesday February 14 Venue TBC

Alpine Thursday February 16th in London

Red Bull TBC
Mercedes TBC
McLaren TBC
Alfa Romeo TBC
Haas TBC
Williams TBC

Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
Michael Ferner wrote: 1 year ago What does "15 to 20 points" mean? 15 to 20 percent?
It seems to be one of those 'secret numbers'....
Thanks for (trying to) explain! :thumbsup:
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago @Michael Ferner...... glad you asked? :haha:
Oh, never mind... :haha:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Michael Ferner wrote: 1 year ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago @Michael Ferner...... glad you asked? :haha:
Oh, never mind... :haha:
Something-something F1 cars can run upside down on the roof of a tunnel something-something.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion