2023 Pre-Season Stuff, Launch Dates, Testing etc

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Star wrote: 1 year ago According to the BBC F1 team, the Spanish gp will be run a 'faster circuit'. Makes a note of that for GTP ;)
This pic below shows the old sort of squiggly chicane overload that has been used for the past 15 or so years and also the 'new' bit.
The reality is that the circuit used to not have the chicane set up and is now reverting to use pretty much what it used to be from memory. I think the chicane was introduced about 15 years ago. They have been talking about losing the chicane for a while it for a while

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Oh, that's great! So, the races will no longer be boring like in the last fifteen years, but instead as boring as in the fifteen years before that?
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Michael Ferner wrote: 1 year ago Oh, that's great! So, the races will no longer be boring like in the last fifteen years, but instead as boring as in the fifteen years before that?
Throw Catalunya away and go back to Montjuic. That'll sort the men out from the boys. :smiley:

Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Mind you, Montmelo used to be GREAT for motorcycle races - I haven't watched any in the last twenty years, but I can still picture a horde of 500cc two-strokes powersliding out of Repsol to make me smile for weeks on end! :) This track just wasn't built for car racing, and it has never done well as such. :(
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Star wrote: 1 year ago
Ruslan wrote: 1 year ago
Star wrote: 1 year ago
PTRACER wrote: 1 year ago Since Hawaii is not a country you'll need the USA flag.
They did offer a flag for American Samoa.
Welcome back my friend, we've missed you!! :mates: :happy:
We shall see how long I can stay glued to the TV set this season. Right now, I am not optimistic.
Honestly, not sure how much I will glued to it either, but we'll see.
Well, I did manage to watch the entire season last year, but quit posting around August as the whole thing was once again becoming depressingly predictable. At least Mercedes let their drivers race. Red Bull doesn't even put up the pretense that competition is allowed.
Last edited by Ruslan 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Star wrote: 1 year ago According to the BBC F1 team, the Spanish gp will be run a 'faster circuit'. Makes a note of that for GTP ;)
The Spanish Grand Prix this year will run on a much faster circuit layout, with the final chicane replaced by two high-speed right-hand corners.

The Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya's final sector will revert to a design not used in Formula 1 since 2006.

A chicane was introduced before the final corner in 2007 in an attempt to increase overtaking opportunities.

But the track is notorious for its dreary races and F1 believes the new layout will lead to better racing.

F1 cars have changed significantly since 2006 and a new design philosophy introduced with rule changes last year allows cars to follow more closely through fast corners.

The change will have a significant effect by shortening lap times and increasing average speeds.

The new design replaces a medium-speed right-hander followed by a tight chicane immediately before the final corner, with two corners that are expected to be taken well in excess of 150mph.

The layout has been used by MotoGP since 2018.

To ensure the new corners meet safety requirements, impact-absorbing barriers will be installed at the final two corners.
That actually is the circuit I prefer.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
This pic below shows the old sort of squiggly chicane overload that has been used for the past 15 or so years and also the 'new' bit.
The reality is that the circuit used to not have the chicane set up and is now reverting to use pretty much what it used to be from memory. I think the chicane was introduced about 15 years ago. They have been talking about losing the chicane for a while it for a while

Good find on the picture. Yes it did say they were reverting to the old design of track. It will no doubt make a difference to the pole time, but I'm not sure it will help to make the race more interesting as @Michael Ferner said. Only time will tell.

That actually is the circuit I prefer.
At least someone is happy with the change :wink: :cool:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

To improve racing they'd need the final corner to be hard braking.

They could reprofile the whole section to be a tightening sweep. But I doubt they have the money.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Now they'll just change to a completely different track and all is well with the Spanish GP :D
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Michael Ferner wrote: 1 year ago Oh, that's great! So, the races will no longer be boring like in the last fifteen years, but instead as boring as in the fifteen years before that?
I agree. However right now this may be one of the worst tracks on the calendar. With removing the chicane, it moves up a bit (from the bottom), but it's still hard to pass through any of the sections. Somewhere near Hungaroring maybe?
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

D/T 2023.02.28 - 11:22 (CET)
More details emerge on Stroll's mystery accident
https://racingnews365.com/more-details- ... y-accident
So, he will be (probably) back in a race or two.

For me his situation suggests, the I can safely count him out as WDC of 2023.
We Are Addicted to a Sense of Crisis.
Rory Stewart
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Interesting that many of the F1 pundits are placing Aston Martin more likely to do well than Mercedes

Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago Interesting that many of the F1 pundits are placing Aston Martin more likely to do well than Mercedes

Is that the pecking order for the first race of the season or the pecking order for the entire season?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago Interesting that many of the F1 pundits are placing Aston Martin more likely to do well than Mercedes
Is that the pecking order for the first race of the season or the pecking order for the entire season?
The first race ie Bahrain, based on testing times. So, given the unknown variables of sandbagging, engine modes, fuel levels, tyres etc over every session of testing......

I found this description here: https://mem.ai/p/w7W8Rb8NN9GBqfELIJBu but
Predictions for Bahrain Grand Prix

https://twitter.com/theF1Scene/status/1 ... 2875611140 (source of the original tweet)

🪄Smart summary:
The thread provides predictions for the Bahrain Grand Prix based on Formula 1 testing, with a visual representation of the pecking order.

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2023.03.01 - 09:17 (CET)
Mercedes must be prepared to ditch its unique F1 car concept if it doesn't work in 2023, according to one former driver.
https://racingnews365.com/former-f1-rac ... ar-concept

Current rules encompassing preparation activities for a new season, starting with a car design concept, are flawed. This indulgence in lazy explanation that someone got it right and someone else did not is toxic and counterproductive for the sporting spirit in racing. No one will like to see Mercedes struggling but one or two rivals. I am not a fan of the Mercedes F1 in the UK, but I want to see them in the competitive mix on the grid. Time to change a car they have wil involve depletion of their budget, lost of racing points, and team's psychological depression with the long season. It all will take their toll. This cannot be good.

Perhaps this is the latest case of commerce and sport meeting on a race track, and sport lost. The same old story, but I cannot get used to it. I am not advocating excessive spending, but the car needs to be race-worthy. Fans need to walk away from such (current) policies, and let the F1 owners know why they are walking away. That's the only path to a badly needed change. If a team decides not to test, I say, go ahead and watch judge Judy instead.

The team should learn already in November that the newly computer-designed prototype is flawed. The team must have their drivers take new creations for the spin and get engineers back to work. That's the only way how racing becomes a war in which are no alies and wounded parties, just warring rivals. That's what we want.
Rory Stewart
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Aty wrote: 1 year ago D/T 2023.02.27 - 11:55 (CET)
RN365
Nyck de Vries has hinted at a tough season ahead for AlphaTauri in 2023, with the Dutchman anticipating a "fight" to get into the midfield.
I have to admit to certain degree of satisfaction that Nyck got a seat with a respectable team, and now I am left with doubts. Fight to get into midfield? No wonder we hear (confirmed by Dr.Marko) about considerations by shareholders selling the team (cost too much and return is miserable). Both, Nyck and Yuki are both sudddenly in precarious position.
D/T 2023.03.01 - 16:42 (CET)
Tost dismisses AlphaTauri sale reports as ‘rumours with no foundation'
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 7RhJO.html
Well good news. (It was time.)
Rory Stewart