2023 Pre-Season Stuff, Launch Dates, Testing etc

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

At least this year the teams made it on track for day 1.... I think it was last year Williams missed much of the first test due to their car being not ready. Im not sure any of them are worse prepared than usual. Isnt it always a panic. Of course this year perhaps is different given this is the last day of testing. 3 days in last year and they still had another session of tests the following week.

Of course on the other hand this year, because of the early end to the season (20th November) due to the fear of clashing with the World Cup whereas the year before the season ended December 12th, they have had nearly an. extra month of off season so you would think all would be ready.

I guess the nature of any motor racing is you plan to get eveything done in time but often the reality is different maybe due to late parts etc.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Felipe seems to find a soft spot of his car, and moved up. It was time. He will be needed to gather some points if AMR wants to be in the group of top 5 (or lead the mid-pack). I am hoping Alfa will give them headache.
We Are Addicted to a Sense of Crisis.
Rory Stewart
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Is it too early to speculate who will win the title?

My inclination this morning (and I will change my mind several times first 3 months, starting this evening):
WDC - Max
WCC - Ferrari (both drivers are strong)

Mercedes seems lacking of something.
McLaren is not in the top 5.
AMR is hot.
Alpine - the customery luke warm.

Bottas - Problems with Ferrari PU. One off, or sign of things to come?
Rory Stewart
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
Star wrote: 1 year ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago Valtteri is ready to go and play this afternoon as the green light shines.
Have you seen his testing helmet?

Seeing Alonso dressed up as Vettel is taking some getting used to also....
It will take me a long time to get used to that :tearful:
Valtteri has been in the press here today talking of his "Aussie" look..... they talk of his increased popularity down here.... no surprise when you sport a mullet and have the same initials, VB, as one of the nations leading 'bogan' beers (FWIW anyone down South does not ask for a Victoria Bitter, its just "Gissa VB (please) mate" :haha:

I must admit since leaving Merc he has come out of his shell and become very likeable.
Bottas embraces Aussie style with F1 testing helmet

Valtteri Bottas has continued his Australian love affair with his 2023 F1 testing helmet celebrating his new ocker style.

Bottas enjoyed much of the Formula 1 off-season Down Under, cycling through South Australia before spending time in New Zealand.

A video posted online during his stay showed him embracing Aussie culture, donning a pair of thongs,(nothing to do with underwear, thats what we call 'flip-flops' :wink: ) a singlet, sporting a mo’, and a mullet.

In Bahrain, he’s taken that a step further with his 2023 pre-season testing helmet showcasing his new hairstyle.
on Twitter.
[/b]
Speaking to the media on Thursday, he added: “I thought why not have my face painted around my face to keep things fun.

“It’s important to do that, to not take some things too seriously. I like it.”

Bottas also leaned into the ‘Australian’ style. Referring to the mullet, he said: “For now it’s staying. I’m really proud of it.

“There are no intentions [of getting rid of it]. Feels very much part of me!”

Since joining Alfa Romeo at the beginning of 2022, Bottas has allowed more of his personality to shine through.

The 33-year-old has grown in popularity as a result, especially among Australian fans.

He has also established himself as a capable team leader – he scored 49 of Alfa Romeo’s 55 points with a best finish of fifth in the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix last year.
As an aside, and more to do with the new Alfa, he is very excited about it. They had a really solid day given the two drivers between them did just short of 150 laps without any issues or hiccups.

Bottas delighted by improved Alfa

Following a solid opening day of the three-day test at the Bahrain International Circuit, Bottas completed 71 laps and team-mate Zhou Guanyu 67.

“The car feels good,” said Bottas. “I can clearly feel some improvements to last year.

“What is, I would say, the main positive is that we didn’t have a single issue, which is a huge contrast to testing last year,
so at least we have started on the right foot and done some proper mileage, which is at this point, so important.”

Detailing the improvements, he added: “The rear of the car has become more stable, which was a weakness last year, especially in the higher-speed corners, so that’s good.

“But we still need to fine-tune the balance, especially in the slower speed, and I’m struggling a bit with locking up the fronts and understeer, but nothing that we can’t solve.”

Oh and just for good measure....click the play button in the top left image and its a walkaround of the new headwear
I did like Valtteri when he was at Williams, then he seemed to change when he went to Mercedes and I wasn't so keen. Since he left there and joined Alfa Romeo, I suddenly like him again. I know, I can't explain it either. He is having fun and he's a really nice guy. I am sure he and the team are only doing better because they know they have my backing, what else can it be? :whistling: :rofl:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Star wrote: 1 year ago I did like Valtteri when he was at Williams, then he seemed to change when he went to Mercedes and I wasn't so keen. Since he left there and joined Alfa Romeo, I suddenly like him again. I know, I can't explain it either. He is having fun and he's a really nice guy. I am sure he and the team are only doing better because they know they have my backing, what else can it be? :whistling: :rofl:

Valtteri certainly is a more relaxed and laid back person away from Mercedes
I notice he had a mechical misfortune and stopped on track before the lunch break. Bottas is showing as still in the pits so its taking them a while to sort out what the issue was. There was talk of a PU issue.

I havent really been following the testing tonight (its midnight here) as had people over and they arent F1 people. They dont understand or see what is exciting or good about 'watching cars go round and round in circles'. :nuts: Yet they like watching a tennis ball being wacked back and forwards over a net shouting ''OUT" when the ball breaches track limits :rolleyes:

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Rumor: Alpha-Tauri is on the block? Among 3 potential buyers, there is no Porsche's name among them.
Rory Stewart
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Star wrote: 1 year ago I did like Valtteri when he was at Williams, then he seemed to change when he went to Mercedes and I wasn't so keen. Since he left there and joined Alfa Romeo, I suddenly like him again. I know, I can't explain it either. He is having fun and he's a really nice guy. I am sure he and the team are only doing better because they know they have my backing, what else can it be? :whistling: :rofl:

Valtteri certainly is a more relaxed and laid back person away from Mercedes
I notice he had a mechical misfortune and stopped on track before the lunch break. Bottas is showing as still in the pits so its taking them a while to sort out what the issue was. There was talk of a PU issue.

I havent really been following the testing tonight (its midnight here) as had people over and they arent F1 people. They dont understand or see what is exciting or good about 'watching cars go round and round in circles'. :nuts: Yet they like watching a tennis ball being wacked back and forwards over a net shouting ''OUT" when the ball breaches track limits :rolleyes:
My sister is one of those tennis lovers who doesn't understand motorsport, I don't get it either.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Was Bottas awarded a glory lap for all his hard work on reliability? From nowhere he shot up.

- elsewhere -

Poor Nyck. This was probably not ending of the test what he had on his mind, I guess. On the top of it, some people are clapping for Andretti to buy off AlphaTauri, and bring Herta in. Last time I look, a team can deploy only 2 drivers, so that place is short on good news for him (and Yuki). I am hoping it all stays as rumor, and nothing more.
Rory Stewart
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Laps completed - day 3: RN News
Bottas had suffered reliability issues.
Rory Stewart
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Just to finalise testing here are the last days times.

Obviously we dont know what programmes they were running to but Hulkenberg, Piastri and particularly De Vries recorded times much slower than their teamates, indeed Nyck was over 6 seconds slower than Yuki in the Alpha Tauri. Its not like Nyck suffered a lack of tracktime..... he did 87 laps compared to Yuki 79.

McLaren seem to be in a horrible place, both with reliability issues and also a lack of pace having admitted they screwed up their aero.
Aston Martin have been the one midfield team that has impressed me most, and I imagine they will have jumped McLaren in the batting order, aAlpine as well. I must admit I think Alpine will miss Alonso more than they imagine. Neither Ocon or Gasly strike me as drivers who will be able to drive development whereas Fernando would be for demanding of a team as to what he wants the car to do and likely be more forthright in his requests. Both Ocon and Gasly strike me as more passive individuals.

Alfa Romeo seem to have found some improvement although I am not sure what their mechanical issues were that limited Bottas track time today beyond as mentioned earlier in the day when it happened that it was rumoured to be a PU related problem

Williams had their moments of excellence and Sargeant has impressed me far more than say Piastri who to me has been very underwhelming given the hype he seems to carry after all the fuss over his services. Of course he has to deal with what seems to be a below par car but I expected more tbh. Not writing him off by any means, certainly not after just one and a half days testing at the most. Hopefully he will show more form come the race weekend.

One think that surprised me is I dont recall a single off track excursion that invoved contact with anything.... maybe the odd case of kerb damage but no one hit the barriers.

POS DRIVERGAP TYRE LAPS
1 Sergio PEREZ1:30.305 133
2 Lewis HAMILTON+0.359 65
3 Valtteri BOTTAS+0.522 131
4 Charles LECLERC+0.719 67
5 Carlos SAINZ+0.731 76
6 Yuki TSUNODA+0.956 79
7 Kevin MAGNUSSEN+1.076 95
8 George RUSSELL+1.137 83
9 Fernando ALONSO+1.145 80
10 Felipe DRUGOVICH+1.770 77
11 Lando NORRIS+1.855 37
12 Pierre GASLY+2.457 56
13 Alexander ALBON+2.488 136
14 Esteban OCON+2.952 76
15 Nico HULKENBERG+3.024 77
16 Oscar PIASTRI+3.350 44
17 Nyck DE VRIES+7.939 87

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Citroën C2 1.4 (2006)

Post by erwin greven »

https://streamable.com/va9xkg

Will Buxton says he saw Lando Norris punch a wall during testing
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Motorsport.com is reporting talks are ongoing with Vettel to come back and race in Bahrain seeing Stroll’s not yet fit 😮 looks like @Star may have to delay her support for Bottas if this is true!
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

@Picci
Go back a few pages, and you will find I've predicted that to happen. One doesn't need to be genius to figure out what's happening at AMR.

- Stroll is out for now. (We have no confirmation for how long but a few races for sure).
- Alonso made front office salivating by achiving good results, and hope that he will be collecting load of points from race to race.
- Felipe might be a good guy, but he is not in winning situation He seems to be too far back from his teammate. He might be a burden on team.

I am not sure if Seb is fit to sit in the car, but he could be one of the most suitable substitutes for now and get into points. (If he would agree to come back). Car seems to be better than the one he had last year.
Rory Stewart
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

@Picci I rub my hands together with the anticipation of Seb and Alonso in the same car. That could get spicy if it's close (we know how negatively competitive Alonso can get). If not, it would confirm some theories (either for or against either driver).
Aty wrote: 1 year ago I am not sure if Seb is fit to sit in the car...
He's got a week to hit the bike and the gym!! :haha:
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Back. How have you all been doing. Been a busy six months for me, all good news.

So, it this season 2022.1? Is the only question whether Perez will be able to get 2nd in the driver's championship this time?

Are we looking at:

1. Red Bull
2. Mercedes
3. Ferrari
4-6: Aston, Alpine, McLaren
7-9: Alfa, Red Bull Jr., Ferrari Jr.
10: Williams?

Can I stay motivated enough to watch this entire season?

P.S. The flags are a nice addition... but could not find one for Hawaii.
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Ruslan wrote: 1 year ago Back. How have you all been doing. Been a busy six months for me, all good news.

So, it this season 2022.1? Is the only question whether Perez will be able to get 2nd in the driver's championship this time?

Are we looking at:

1. Red Bull
2. Mercedes
3. Ferrari
4-6: Aston, Alpine, McLaren
7-9: Alfa, Red Bull Jr., Ferrari Jr.
10: Williams?

Can I stay motivated enough to watch this entire season?

P.S. The flags are a nice addition... but could not find one for Hawaii.
The argument being made online is that Ferrari is back on track in regards the straightline speed issue and are seeing notable improvements.

The big mover appears to be the Aston and a lot of people are hyping them up. They’ve had a solid testing session too.

Alfa Romeo may also have moved up a place or two.

McLaren appear to be in deep shat for some reason which I still don’t fully comprehend.