Drivers Penalties and Points *€1 million driver fine introduced!**

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Kamikeli wrote: 1 year ago I understand the basic premise behind the penalty points, but it really doesn't apply to the F1 world. It does an efficient job at deterring junior drivers from being four-wheeled wrecking balls and/or putting everyone else in danger, but there's so many little extras that make no sense. There was no reason for Gasly to be anywhere close to that race ban mostly because of procedural mistakes, when the only time he put anyone in danger, that was himself - via speeding under red flags.
Respectfully disagree. Speeding under red flags does endanger marshals, and in my humble opinion desereved an outright ban for at least two races. I couldn't care less for his own life under the circumstances, but the fact that he complained afterwards about himself being in danger deserved another two races on the bench, just to put the priorities right. I never had an opinion of this nothing guy before, but after this episode I have zero time for this entitled b***h. The sooner he disappears into his own arse the better.

@Michael Ferner You should try to use different wording for this. [mod]
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: British Touring Car Championship
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton

Post by Nononsensecapeesh »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago So, Drivers penalty points issued in Brazil and totals of those involved

5 drivers added to their demerits this weekend.....

Stroll 3 points in the Sprint race for pushing Seb off. Total 8 points

Alonso 2 points in the Sprint for causing collision with Ocon Total 6 points

DannyRic 2 points for KMag on lap 1. Total 8 points

Lando 2 points for Leclerc at T6 Total 3 points.

Max 2 points for Lewis Total 7 points

Update of the running total as at Post Brazil (Changes in bold)

Driver Pts
Pierre Gasly 10
Yuki Tsunoda 9
Alex Albon 6
Daniel Ricciardo 8
Max Verstappen 7
Nicholas Latifi 5
Esteban Ocon 5
Lance Stroll 8
Fernando Alonso 6
George Russell 4
Kevin Magnussen 3
Guanyu Zhou 3
Sergio Perez 2
Valtteri Bottas 2
Sebastian Vettel 2
Lando Norris 3
Charles Leclerc 1
Mick Schumacher 1

Just for info Gasly not only saved his behind in being cleared for driving too slowly on his formation lap on Saturday but also got a 5 sec time penalty only (ie no points) for speeding in pit lane. So he remains on 10
Gasly and Ocon had better give each other plenty of breathing space next year if they can help it.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

We have some news of an update to the way drivers penalty points are calculated.... Its to do with circumstances like the issue of points totting up as was highlighted last year when Pierre Gasly found himself in danger of being forced to sit out a grand prix for a relatively small rules breach.

Gasly was a bit pissed off and let the FIA know that it wasnt on that he was on the brink of a ban for in effect a string of silly non dangerous events that mounted up.... being treated like a criminal for no real reason.
"I'm not going to lie. It's a very unpleasant situation and quite delicate. In some ways, also a bit embarrassing to be standing in a position where I could be banned.

"After the season that I've done, I don't really feel like I've been particularly dangerous over these last 12 months, and that will be definitely a harsh penalty."
The FIA agreed to review their process....

FIA revises F1 penalty points approach for 2023

F1's penalty points system has been adjusted for 2023 to avoid the risk of drivers facing race bans for a run of minor offences
After talks between the rule makers, the teams and drivers, it was agreed that stewards would, from the start of the 2023 season, take a much more considered approach when it came to dishing out penalty points.

With the original intention of the penalty system being to prevent dangerous driving, the FIA will continue to hand out points for offences that are deemed unsafe.

However, for rules breaches that are more sporting related – such as track limits breaches – then no points will be given out from now on.

The new approach already had an impact at the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix, where the stewards handed out sporting sanctions without penalty points.

Nico Hulkenberg and Esteban Ocon, who both earned time penalties for a variety of offences, escaped having any penalty points added to their licences.

Gasly has lucked out though as he had already been given the points..... he still remains on 10 points, however, with his first points due to expire on 22 May. At least he now knows that he will not get silly points to tip him into a ban situation. He will have to do something deemed dangerous. ie not track limits or lining up on the grid a few inches from your mark.

Time for an update of who has what points against them

F1 driver penalty points:

Driver Points Next points dropped
France Pierre Gasly 10 22.05.23 (2 points)
Canada Lance Stroll 8 09.04.23 (2 points)
Thailand Alex Albon 7 27.03.23 (2 points)
Spain Fernando Alonso 6 08.05.23 (3 points)
France Esteban Ocon 5 20.03.23 (2 points)
China Zhou Guanyu 4 27.03.23 (1 points)
Japan Yuki Tsunoda 4 03.07.23 (2 points)
United Kingdom George Russell 4 10.07.23 (2 points)
Denmark Kevin Magnussen 3 08.05.23 (2 points)
United Kingdom Lando Norris 3 10.07.23 (1 points)
Germany Sebastian Vettel 2 10.07.23 (1 points)
Mexico Sergio Perez 2 02.10.23 (2 points)
Netherlands Max Verstappen 2 13.11.23 (2 points)
Monaco Charles Leclerc 1 09.10.23 (1 points)

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago Gasly was a bit pissed off and let the FIA know that it wasnt on that he was on the brink of a ban for in effect a string of silly non dangerous events that mounted up.... being treated like a criminal for no real reason.
"I'm not going to lie. It's a very unpleasant situation and quite delicate. In some ways, also a bit embarrassing to be standing in a position where I could be banned.

"After the season that I've done, I don't really feel like I've been particularly dangerous over these last 12 months, and that will be definitely a harsh penalty."
Just goes to show what an idiot he is. If he still feels he didn't do anything "particularly dangerous" by speeding past a red flag and marshals retrieving a stranded car, then he desperately needs to sit out at least one race. I still can't get over the fact that the FIA did nothing after that most hideous act. If I were a marshal, I'd throw my badge into the dust at the feet of the next FIA official I'd spot.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Michael Ferner wrote: 1 year ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago Gasly was a bit pissed off and let the FIA know that it wasnt on that he was on the brink of a ban for in effect a string of silly non dangerous events that mounted up.... being treated like a criminal for no real reason.

Just goes to show what an idiot he is. If he still feels he didn't do anything "particularly dangerous" by speeding past a red flag and marshals retrieving a stranded car, then he desperately needs to sit out at least one race. I still can't get over the fact that the FIA did nothing after that most hideous act. If I were a marshal, I'd throw my badge into the dust at the feet of the next FIA official I'd spot.
I must admit I had forgotten that bit and yes whatever he got for that was totally deserved.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

F1 drivers’ shock after hearing about €1million fine

We have always said drivers fines of mere thousands are a bit of a laugh given the earnings many have. It seems the FIA have done something about it and introduced a maximum fine of €1million. No word of what a driver has to do to earn a fine of that scale but none the less the drivers are not happy. Apparently the previous maximum fine was a quarter of tht but set over a decade ago and deemed out of date. It seems maybe Lewis and his little track wander after crashing in Qatar has sparked the increase.... weird considering he did not even receive the maximum 250 K fine for that.

Maybe the timing is to get the teams, FOM and pitlane folk talking about something other than answering US focused questions on whether they are going to allow Andretti to join the club. Diversionary tactics and all that. :idunno:

It seems that the level of maximum fines has rocketed across all categories covered by the FIA, not just F1 although the amounts for other category caps are less. (WEC and other International categories 'only[ 750K with other I guess National titles like UKF3 just 500K)

Will we ever see a million dollar driver fine? We never saw a 250K fine when that was the cap so I cant see it.

Anyway the article explains all.
F1 drivers were left stunned upon hearing they now face the prospect of a €1 million fine for potential infringements.

Following a meeting of the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Geneva, the body has confirmed an increase in its maximum fine by 300 percent after recognising the punishment in the International Sporting Code had remained dormant for many years.

A statement from the WMSC read: “The ISC had previously determined that the maximum fine amount that the stewards can impose is 250,000 euros.

“This amount has not been reviewed, nor amended, for at least the last 12 years and does not reflect the current needs of motor sport.

“The World Council, therefore, approved an update to this maximum limit in certain championships as follows: FIA Formula 1 world championship – 1,000,000 euros; all other FIA world championships – 750,000 euros; all other FIA championships, cups, trophies, challenges, or series – 500,000 euros.”

The staggering sum of money is naturally at the extreme end of the FIA’s punishment options, and it would take a severe infringement for the governing body to impose such a penalty.

Upon hearing of the increase, many of whom only learned of the change when asked by the press, most were staggered.

“It’s a huge amount of money,” said Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc.

“I have no idea about what deserves a €1 million penalty, but it’s more than… I mean, some drivers are making less than that.”

Leclerc wasn’t alone, with world champion-elect Max Verstappen also voicing his concerns – the Dutchman having copped a €50,000 fine in Brazil in 2021 after touching Lewis Hamilton’s Mercedes F1 car.

“Well, if touching a rear wing is €50k, then I would like to know what €1 million is – then maybe we can sponsor also the bottles of wine.”

Haas’ Kevin Magnussen, who is estimated to be on $5 million this season, was equalled surprised.

“I don’t know what it is to be €1 million, but that sounds ridiculous,” the Dane opined.

“I mean, Charles can give his watch, but I would disappear, never to be found again.”

Part of the FIA’s motivation to make the increase is the disparity that existed between the value of the fines and the earning strength of some of the sport’s biggest names.

Hamilton copped a €50,000 fine, half of which was suspended, for crossing the track in Qatar, a comparatively minuscule amount for a driver Forbes has estimated to be bringing in $65 million this year.

There was also a concern that the fine didn’t send the right message with regards to how serious the FIA considered safety issues such as crossing a live track.

While the seven-time world champion accepted fault for the Qatar incident, he suggested he’d only be prepared to pay such significant amounts of money should be put towards furthering the sport.

“When it comes to things like this, we really need to be thinking [about] the message that that sends out to those that are watching,” Hamilton said.

“If they are going to be fining €1 million, let’s make sure that 100 percent of that goes to a cause.

“There’s a lot of money in this whole industry and there’s a lot more that we need to do in terms of creating better accessibility, better diversity, more opportunities for people who don’t wouldn’t normally have a chance to get into a sport like this – So many causes around the world.

“That’s the only way they’ll get that million from me.”
https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/10/20/f1 ... uros-fine/

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Perez now 4 points from a race ban....

The subject of driver penalty points and potential bans has become a bit quiet in the past twelve months or so, but it seems that Sergio Perez is skating on thin ice for a chunk of this season until last years penalties become out of the 12 month cycle of validity.

As you are aware any driver who collects 12 penalty points in a 12 month period is automatically given a one race ban. Non negotiable.

Sergio was given a five-second time penalty for leaving his pit box in an unsafe fashion during today’s race. He pulled into the fast lane of the pits in front of Fernando Alonso,

Normally one would suggest that a dangerous rejoin would be a team error with the driver being released by the crew member resposible.. However as Red Bull use a light trigger to release the driver Sergio was deemed responsible as he left his box whilst the red light was still on.

In the words of the Stewards report:
“Car 11 [Perez] was released from a pit stop in an unsafe manner,” “Car 14 [Alonso] had to take evasive action to avoid a collision.

“What made the situation worse was the fact that car 11 left the pits when there was a red light shown to it (indicating that it should not go out of the pit box).”
The five-second time penalty made no differentce to Checo’s finishing position in the race, as he took the chequered flag second, 10 seconds ahead of Charles Leclerc...... However his rapid accumulation of penalty points risks becoming a problem.

Sergio has collected eight points over the last 10 rounds, beginning in the Singapore Grand Prix last year. If he picks up another four over the coming 15 rounds he will earn a race ban.

Perez’s penalty points in the past 12 months

2023 Singapore Grand Prix: Collision with Alexander Albon – one point
2023 Japanese Grand Prix: Overtook Fernando Alonso under Safety Car conditions – two points
2023 Japanese Grand Prix: Collision with Kevin Magnussen – two points
2023 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix: Collision with Lando Norris – two points
2024 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix: Unsafe release – one point