STAKE F1 TEAM KICK SAUBER

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Bottom post of the previous page:

We still need confirmation whether AAB stays on as TP. Second point, I am not sure whether Andreas will continue with his top job with Sauber. Lastly - drivers. Can¨t wait.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Aty wrote: 1 month ago Confirmed: D/T 2024-03-08 15:42 (CET)
German manufacturer Audi have moved to accelerate and expand their commitment to Formula 1 by choosing to take a 100% stake in Swiss operation Sauber, ahead of their arrival in the sport in 2026.

In 2022, Audi – part of the Volkswagen Group – announced they would join F1 as a power unit supplier when sweeping new regulations that feature increased electrical power and 100% sustainable fuels will be introduced in two years’ time.
Audi say Seidl will oversee the running of the Formula 1 project and act as the “face of the future Audi Formula 1 Team”.
:twothumbs:
CEO of Audi's Formula One operations.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

@Aty you might like what Joe Saward has had to say about the reasons and plusses of the Audi decision to go the full purchase of Sauber and to do it quicker. Its just an extract relating to the Audi announcement, from a mucch longer article concernin several other topics.
Audi announced that it has completed its takeover of Sauber earlier than expected. This is no surprise because the Audi folks know that they need to make a lot of changes at Sauber and the sooner that starts the better it is.

In reality, an accelerated deal works for everyone as the sale was agreed before F1 team valuations started climbing into the stratosphere and so the previous owner, packaging empire scion Finn Rausing, can get more than he originally negotiated (not that he needs money), Audi can get the control it wants and while we will not see an Audi-Ferrari racing, the Italians are no longer opposed to supplying its power units to an Audi-owned entity, probably because Ferrari is now run by Fred Vasseur, who used to run Sauber… When Mattia Binotto was around that idea was a no-no.
https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2024/03 ... ront-line/

One of the other things Joe mentions in that same long article mentioned above, is that Jerome d’Ambrosio, the person who was being groomed to run Mercedes post Toto, has for family reasons chosen to leave Mercedes (more specifically England). Saward mentions of Toto trying to place him somewhere. Ferrari was specifically mentioned because Toto and Fred Vasseur are very good mates.

The thought did cross my mind maybe the day to day running of the Audi/Sauber team under Seidl as CEO. That is purely from my head and based on nothing I have read other than this following piece. Of course Fred being ex Sauber and if Ferrari dont really have the space for such a position under Fred.....
Mercedes has lost its Driver Development Director Jerome d’Ambrosio, who was in a rather bigger role than the title suggests, as he was seen as being trained up as a possible replacement for Toto Wolff. He’s gone I am told because his family was having trouble settling in England. He will now move to Ferrari. Given that Toto and Fred are best buddies, albeit with knives behind their backs when it comes to business, it would not surprise me if Toto asked Fred to find Jerome a job…

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Is J. Key a right person for Sauber? I thought the team had enough time to address pitstops. This is happening under his watch. I am not in love with fingerpointing, but someone needs to take responsibility, cruel as it may. Andreas may need to reach deep, whether his hiring practices is on the level the team needs.

Edd Straw:
SLOWEST AUSTRALIAN GP PITSTOPS (PER DHL)
Zhou (Sauber) - 3.40s
Piastri (McLaren) - 3.51s
Bottas (Sauber) - 3.63s
Gasly (Alpine) - 5.04s
Ocon (Alpine) - 14.71s (tear-off in brake duct)
Zhou (Sauber) - 20.20s (car stalled)
Bottas (Sauber) - 31.18s (wheelnut issue)
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

F1 insider
https://f1-insider.com/formel-1-sauber- ... eme-62680/

A few poins (in German language): Future Audi team has a few problems.

1. Despite that Sauber has not yet been affected by benefits of Audi technology, Audi's name is already associated in some media with the essentially Alfa Romeo car. (Guilty by association). Not a good promotional campaign.

2. Newly designed wheel-nut will be available only later after the race in Suzuka.

3. Both drivers are in danger of not having a job with current team next year. Analysis identifies inconsistencies in both drivers performance. They are committing mistakes, especially in qualifying. Bottas and Zhou never managed to fit their optimal sector times into one lap.

The author of the article seems to suggest that pairing of Nicolas Hülkenberg and Carlos Sainz could be right choice for Sauber 2025 and beyond.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Aty wrote: 4 weeks ago

The author of the article seems to suggest that pairing of Nicolas Hülkenberg and Carlos Sainz could be right choice for Sauber 2025 and beyond.
It might well be the best for Sauber but it is certainly not the best for Sainz by a long shot. He needs, indeed deserves a far better ride than Sauber for any shorter term (ie next 2-3 years from 2025) contract. His next contract should be at Red Bull, Mercedes even Aston Martin ahead of Sauber / Audi. (McLaren dont get listed because of their existing lineup contractual status. )

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 weeks ago
Aty wrote: 4 weeks ago

It might well be the best for Sauber but it is certainly not the best for Sainz by a long shot. He needs, indeed deserves a far better ride than Sauber for any shorter term (ie next 2-3 years from 2025) contract. His next contract should be at Red Bull, Mercedes even Aston Martin ahead of Sauber / Audi. (McLaren dont get listed because of their existing lineup contractual status. )
I fully agree. On these pages in the past my opinion is aligned with yours. Above was a quote from the aricle.
Verstappen might end up on any of three places. Staying at RBR, Mercedes and/or AM Honda. I am not sure what Toto is thinking if Max rejects Mercedes, but Carlos will pick up left-overs. Unfortunately, because he deserves better treatment. I should also add, I am not sure who will dominate 2025 other than Ferrari and RBR. Unless he goes to RBR, next year could be painful for him wherever he goes.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

If I was Toto I would be offering Sainz either a one or two year deal. It gives him flexibility to chase Max in 2026 or 2027 once Max has seen how the land lies with the new rules, or promote Antonelli into the drive. For Sainz it gives him a top three seat to show he is every bit as good as Russell, or even beat him, and move to Audi when they're closer to the front.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Engineering staff confirmed to AMuS, that wheel-nut issue remains challenge for Suzuka. The replacement part should be available later on (hopefully for China). I am surprised that everyone at Hinvil still remains employed. I am not fond of kicking people out, but F1 is not for everyone.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

How are they not able to use an old spec? Surely it's a fairly similar piece?
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

If the wheels nuts are presumably deforming because of the heat then it's a material flaw? How long it takes to try a different material? :idunno:
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

The wheel-nut required re-design (and consequently mfg).
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

If you don't at least attempt to use marshmallows for wheel nuts, how are you to know that they won't work?
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

MonteCristo wrote: 3 weeks ago If you don't at least attempt to use marshmallows for wheel nuts, how are you to know that they won't work?
The Kick Sauber re-designed wheel:
Now compatible with the marshmallow nuts.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Bottas explained there was correlation error between material temperatures at Sauber mechanical laboratory, and actual at the track.

I say, it would had been good to discover such condition before a season starts in proper testing, but the F1 leadership forbids such luxury.