STAKE F1 TEAM KICK SAUBER

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Bottom post of the previous page:

SAUBER NOT CONCERNED ABOUT STAKE INVESTIGATION BY SWISS AUTHORITIES
https://www.grandprix247.com/2024/02/08 ... thorities/

Gambling is problem from whichever angle one looks at it. The name alone makes my head hurt. I am surprised Andreas has agreed to a deal, despite having probably more than two legal voices near to his ear. (AAB and Sauber's legal department.) They probably considered pro and cons, and positives won.

Bottas said in an interview that Audi is becoming intensively involved in the business in the background without trumpeting to media what they are doing.
The Finn stated that he expects the cooperation between Sauber and Audi to increase in the coming months as the latter gears up towards its F1 debut.

“I think the cooperation will start sometime soon, I would imagine if Audi already wants to be competitive in their first year,” he said.

“Sauber and Audi will need to work together but that's all going on behind the scenes.

“As a driver, whatever meetings or stuff is happening behind the scenes, we are not always aware of those things. But things are starting to pick up now.”
Good is all what one can say, but competitive in first year? I would love it, but no. Lets this one go by wayside. FiA forecasted development of new specs is not going to be frozen earlier than later in 2027, so I would not set my hopes too high.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Aty wrote: 2 months ago
I like to know who is running the transition phase. Development of a 2026 team, drivers, PU, vehicle, logistics, following FiA rules, budgets, etc. (Full time job apart current racing activities.) Adam Baker is CEO (Audi racing), so I doubt it's him. Is Jost Capito available?
I think possibly the Team Principal role might go the way of Allan McNish if Seidl does not take the position. McNish held a senior position within Audi already.... Director of Co-ordination of Audi Group Motorsport. Alongside that role , following Audi's official take over of the Abt Sportsline run Audi Formula E entry. in 2017 he was Team Principal of that operation right through to the end of their FE programme in 2022 when they decided Formula E was no longer.

TBH Im not sure of Seidl's actual position. I dont believe it is with Audi itself. I recall when Seidl left McLaren McNish said that his move was a CEO of Sauber and nothing to do with Audi.

This was a year ago.....
Naturally, it was suspected that Audi had a role in Seidl's switch, the German brand set to enter a partnership with Sauber that will see the outfit become Audi's F1 works team from 2026, running the Audi power unit.

However, McNish made it clear that the decision came from Sauber only, with Audi playing no role.

"Obviously they've had to change because Fred Vasseur moved to Ferrari, and Andreas came in to replace him, but that's all Sauber and Alfa Romeo that are dealing with that," McNish said "It's nothing to do with Audi."

Instead, McNish said Audi's focus is on getting their facilities to develop the 2026 power unit in order, and he believes that Audi have picked a "really exciting point" to be taking the Formula 1 plunge.
"Obviously our programme at the moment and working on is the engine side of things," said McNish.
Seidl still shows as Sauber CEO. :idunno:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 months ago
I like to know who is running the transition phase. Development of a 2026 team, drivers, PU, vehicle, logistics, following FiA rules, budgets, etc. (Full time job apart current racing activities.) Adam Baker is CEO (Audi racing), so I doubt it's him. Is Jost Capito available?
I think possibly the Team Principal role might go the way of Allan McNish if Seidl does not take the position. McNish held a senior position within Audi already.... Director of Co-ordination of Audi Group Motorsport. Alongside that role , following Audi's official take over of the Abt Sportsline run Audi Formula E entry. in 2017 he was Team Principal of that operation right through to the end of their FE programme in 2022 when they decided Formula E was no longer.

TBH Im not sure of Seidl's actual position. I dont believe it is with Audi itself. I recall when Seidl left McLaren McNish said that his move was a CEO of Sauber and nothing to do with Audi.

This was a year ago.....
Naturally, it was suspected that Audi had a role in Seidl's switch, the German brand set to enter a partnership with Sauber that will see the outfit become Audi's F1 works team from 2026, running the Audi power unit.

However, McNish made it clear that the decision came from Sauber only, with Audi playing no role.

"Obviously they've had to change because Fred Vasseur moved to Ferrari, and Andreas came in to replace him, but that's all Sauber and Alfa Romeo that are dealing with that," McNish said "It's nothing to do with Audi."

Instead, McNish said Audi's focus is on getting their facilities to develop the 2026 power unit in order, and he believes that Audi have picked a "really exciting point" to be taking the Formula 1 plunge.
"Obviously our programme at the moment and working on is the engine side of things," said McNish.
I am also not sure if Audi is buying whole Sauber business, or merely the F1 team. Andreas is responsible for Sauber's business development, but I cannot claim that I know scope of his responsibility vis a vis the F1 team. Maybe it will be similar to RBR. The RB has two co-directors, Dr. Marko and Horner. (Per UK business registry.) The F1 team is owned by Austrian interest.

Adam Baker is CEO of Audi Formula Racing GmbH. It's not his job to run F1 on day-to-day basis. Clarification is needed who runs as TP 2026 team. AAB is busy...so, we are left guessing. Andreas hired Key, he has established and appointed current team's management structure. Audi refers to Sauber as a "Strategic partner". Moreover, will Audi-TP have their say who drives in 2026?

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/pre ... -ceo-15103
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 months ago

This was a year ago.....

I am also not sure if Audi is buying whole Sauber business, or merely the F1 team. Andreas is responsible for Sauber's business development, but I cannot claim that I know scope of his responsibility vis a vis the F1 team. Maybe it will be similar to RBR. The RB has two co-directors, Dr. Marko and Horner. (Per UK business registry.) The F1 team is owned by Austrian interest.

Adam Baker is CEO of Audi Formula Racing GmbH. It's not his job to run F1 on day-to-day basis. Clarification is needed who runs as TP 2026 team. AAB is busy...so, we are left guessing. Andreas hired Key, he has established and appointed current team's management structure. Audi refers to Sauber as a "Strategic partner". Moreover, will Audi-TP have their say who drives in 2026?

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/pre ... -ceo-15103
I would imagine it is just the F1 team, but I dont know for sure. Sauber have a large non F1 engineering / technology business which is run independent of the F1 team. That offers everything from 3D Printing and prototype work through to aero work, design and general engineering work, directed at a wide number of non F1 general engineering applications. ie Olympic Paralympic Wheelchairs! They of course sell a lot of their work based on F1 ethics and offering the pinacle of technology. (in the "use cases" link)
https://sauber-technologies.com/en/
Interestingly, (although not surprising as his title is Group CEO) Andreas Seidl shows as CEO of the Technology Group. (in the "About" link on that home page above)

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Clarification remarks...
Audi are joining the sport in 2026 after striking a deal to take a 75-percent stake in the current Sauber side, with the Germans to supply the power unit whilst the team runs under the Audi name.

Seidl, Sauber’s CEO will oversee the Hinwil-based team’s collaboration with Audi...

Whilst Audi have expressed their intent on a German driver in 2026, the side aren’t too concerned on the nationality of their development driver, with “performance” being more important. “It would be attractive, of course, but for us the performance of the drivers has priority,” Baker told the Deutsche Presse-Agentur.
I take it those 75% ownership share is meant in team only, as pposed to whole Sauber business. So, Seidl has no time to play TP, Baker on Audi side the same, AAB is having 24 races around his neck, so, again, who is the big cheese running 2026 team?
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2024-02-11 1738 (CET)
And of course, Audi F1 team principal Andreas Seidl worked with Sainz during their spell at McLaren. And long before the Hamilton to Ferrari deal was made, the driver was linked with a move to the organisation which his legendary father races for, Carlos Sainz Senior winning the Dakar earlier this year for the German automaker.

The elder Sainz told Mundo Deportivo: “Audi will start an exciting project in Formula 1 and all the drivers, not just Carlos, should respect. I think Audi is a guarantee since I know very well the seriousness with which they take each project and what that mentality implies. The Volkswagen group, like Audi, must be respected.”
https://www.grandprix247.com/2024/02/11 ... bull-audi/

Paul Velasco (author) confused me. It's first time I am hearing/reading about Andreas is the Audi TP. Is it posible then that it is temporary functional designation for pre-entry period, and he is standing in both functions, namely as Sauber CEO and also Audi TP? I am not sure how he could manage boh jobs (well), but apparently he does (per Velasco).

Papa Sainz obviously reveres Audi as an organisation, and it is very much in plain sight, that he would like to see his son drive for them.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Jeez, I was trying to recall whether Sainz viejo ever raced against the Quattros in all their glory, and now you're telling me he's still active! And racing for Audi!!

:shocked:
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Michael Ferner wrote: 2 months ago Jeez, I was trying to recall whether Sainz viejo ever raced against the Quattros in all their glory, and now you're telling me he's still active! And racing for Audi!!

:shocked:
Thanks for asking, Michael, but I have no firm opinion (as a fan), whom I would like to see driving for Audi. I am not really that excited over prospect to see a driver accepting an offer from them only because nothing better was available to him. Audi needs qualified (top notch) development feedback, they need performance to ensure they have driver who exceeds car capabilities, and they need a good guy to stay for a three or four years. I don't know who that could be. Sebastian is my man, but unless he changes his mind, he will not get involved in development work. I am not sure that only money would change his mind, and Audi is not going to offer crazy scheme similar to what Ferrari got involved in.

Theo Pourchaire and Seb would be nice duo. (I will probably change my mind a few times...)
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Life is good again.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Audi’s F1 project under fresh uncertainty as senior figure faces exit

Audi’s Formula 1 project is facing fresh uncertainty amid indications that one of the key figures behind its entry into grand prix racing looks set to leave the German manufacturer.

Just a few months after CEO Markus Duesmann, regarded as the key advocate for its F1 project, left the company, it now appears that one of its other architects, chief development officer Oliver Hoffmann, is also set to move on.

Hoffmann's long-term contract as CDO had been extended as recently as last year, but according to a report in the German Bild newspaper, he could be forced out of the company.

The reason for his departure is said to be a difference of views with current Audi CEO Gernot Dollner over the future of the company.

Hoffmann is also blamed for the fact that Audi is struggling with sluggish sales figures, and that the models planned under his direction have either not been as successful as hoped or had been repeatedly postponed.

It is understood that the Audi Supervisory Board is due to discuss the Hoffmann issue on Thursday, after which the Volkswagen Group's Supervisory Board could have the final say at the beginning of March.

A potential change could have implications for Audi’s F1 plan, with it believed that Dollner wants to move Hoffmann to the grand prix project.

Hoffmann is well versed on the development of the F1 entry for 2026, having appeared with Duesmann at the 2022 Belgian Grand Prix when the company announced that it would be entering the series from 2026.

But a move to the current Sauber team has prompted fresh questions over what his role would be there, because the Switzerland-based outfit already has CEO Andreas Seidl pushing on with the plans for the new Audi F1 era.

Adding an additional level of decision-making between Seidl and the Audi Board of Management would not appear to be an ideal situation – especially coming at a time when there are understood to be concerns about the scale of changes Sauber needs when Audi enters.

The squad faces challenges in attracting top-level personnel to Switzerland and there are questions over whether the investment required to get to the front of the grid is being made as quickly as is needed with Audi having not yet taken full ownership.

The Hoffmann situation also comes off the back of fresh speculation that Audi’s entry to F1 is still not completely set in stone and could yet change.

Dollner only publicly committed to Audi’s planned 2026 entry in an interview with the Handelsblatt publication in December 2023.

"There is a clear decision from the Board of Management and the Supervisory Boards of Audi and Volkswagen that Audi will enter Formula 1 in 2026," he said. "The plan is in place."

But while his comments indicated Audi was pushing on as planned for the F1 entry, it still appeared to fall short of being a clear and passionate commitment to F1.

This could be because there is speculation that Dollner is allegedly still open to a sale of the Sauber shares, should an investor be found that would enable Audi to get out of the matter financially and image-wise without major damage.

The timing of finding a buyer could be favourable. F1 is booming, there are plenty of interested buyers, and it is not completely out of the question that a party would be prepared to pay even more than the rumoured €600m that Audi allegedly offered at the time to acquire a majority stake in Sauber.

Audi has not yet answered an enquiry from Motorsport.com’s sister publication Motorsport-Total.com about the alleged change in the board of directors.

A spokesperson had previously told Bild Zeitung: "As a matter of principle, we do not comment on personnel matters."

This means that reports about Hoffmann's move from the board to Formula 1 remain unchallenged.

The latest turbulence at Audi appears to be counterproductive for the development of the team in Hinwil and Audi’s headquarters in Neuburg.

Convincing top engineers or potential drivers such as Carlos Sainz to join Sauber/Audi is difficult in view of the prospect that Audi might not even join F1 in the end.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/audi ... /10578564/
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Do we know who is building Audi's engines? I assume it's going to be an inhouse design, but are there any of the old Le Mans era engineers involved?
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

I will wait for official announcement if and when it comes. It is fact that war on the eastern front, and attack on the pipeline dealt to energy sector massive blow. Add vilification of China, and cumulatively all is not exactly helpful to German economy. That part might be true.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Its not a good sign when the key pro F1 guys are leaving due to a difference of views with current Audi CEO Gernot Dollner over the future of the company..

That different views of the future is a very open and wide brush, one that doesnt say its F1 related, but given their faltering market position and sales an enormously expensive F1 project that isnt expected to kick into decent results before the back end of 2028 must be making some uneasy. Especially if the bloke at the top of the tree is less than enthusiastic about F1 and those that were in the senior wings and pro F1 are falling by the wayside due to future direction disagreements.

Of course when you are looking at some of the clickbait sources and nothing official from Audi there is always an avenue of doubt in the reasons given. But on the other hand key people / F1 allies actually and without doubt leaving is not ideal and is going to raise questions.

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

A few recent remarks addressing (again) rumors:

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/audi ... 20planned.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Easy solution: Andretti takes it off Audi's hands!
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Friends?