Cockpit protection 1996

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Cockpit protection 1996

Post by Antonov »

After Mika's accident at Adelaide in 1995 (or perhaps even earlier), it was decided to raise the cockpit sides for the 1996 season.

I always wondered why most cars ended up looking like this:

and how Williams and Jordan managed 'to get away' with this:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Antonov wrote: 1 year ago After Mika's accident at Adelaide in 1995 (or perhaps even earlier), it was decided to raise the cockpit sides for the 1996 season.

Nothing to do with Mika's accident, all to do with Senna Ratzenberger and Wendlinger at Monaco. Mika's injuries were ISTR the steering wheel (in SId Watkins book it refers)

An article here by Peter Wright explains in detail 1995 changes to cars.: Preview of 1995 Formula1 Cars. How the Technical Regulations have influenced design.

I think part of the different treatments might be more aerodynamically influenced. Some went for higher cockpit sides earlier than others, I gues due to different aero philosophies. I do seem to recall some dispute by teams over interpretation of side regulations in 1995/6 in relation to Williams and Jordan's treatment.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

I think the Williams at least got away by having the high cockpit from right point of views. That is from the sides, note the fin just above the elf l. It shades the driver from a side view as in the rules and the low area between it and the cockpit opening helps with airflow to the rear. As EV mentioned, I seem to recall Ferrari getting a bit upset about missing that trick back in the day. Here is a better picture showing the fin

I'm unsure what is going on with the Jordan though. I may be that it has a generally higher sidepod than the other 3 cars, which would make sense with the high and narrow radiator inlets the car has. So it could be just a visual thing and the cockpit is as high as the Bennetton and Ferrari.