2022 WRC and Off Road Discussion *includes 'Dakar' *

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Re the two De Villiers "hit and run" crashes with motorbike competitors discussed in the crash videos forum section here: viewtopic.php?p=419483#p419483

Just to summarise, De Villiers was involved in an incident with a motorcycle early in the rally where he ran into the back of a temporarily stranded motorcyclist and then "thought the rider was ok" and drove off without stopping. He was penalised 5 minutes for that "breach of theSporting Code" violation.

However it later came to light that on the very next section De Villiers was involved in another incident where he ran over a stranded bike.... again he continued without stopping. This incident was not reported until later that evening because the rider involved had his bike badly damaged in the incident and had to carry out several hours repairs before being able to continue. At the time he was unable to identify the number of De Villers car as he sped off. Anyway the incident has been under review for a couple of days, but now the stewards / jury have returned their verdict......

De Villiers gets five-hour penalty for second Dakar motorcycle incident
On Stage 2, he had a run-in with Moroccan rider Mohamedsaid Aoulad Ali while coming down a dune.

De Villiers did not strike Ali himself, but caused “major mechanical damage” to his KTM, according to stewards.

Stewards determined that the South African had committed a breach of Article 12.2.1h of the FIA’s International Sporting Code, which concerns “Any unsafe act or failure to take reasonable measures, thus resulting in an unsafe situation.”

De Villiers said he did not hear the Sentinel, the car-to-car warning system which is supposed to signal hazards, speculating that it may have been accidentally turned off by co-driver Dennis Murphy.

He also claimed to have not realised he had run over the motorcycle with his Hilux.

The South African has promised to pay for the costs of replacing the KTM, as well as the Moroccan rider’s entry fee for the 2023 Dakar Rally.

“We have not heard any alarm signal from Sentinel,” read a statement from De Villiers.

“We do not doubt that we have received a signal. The problem is that the button for the Sentinel is located on the floor of the co-driver’s side.

“During the Selective Section, the co-driver’s feet jump back and forth and can easily, accidentally press the button.

“When we came over the dune, we saw the motorcyclist and I avoided him so as not to hurt him.

“At the bottom of the dune, we turned around to make sure that the rider was not injured. We didn’t feel hitting the bike when we landed. Then we continued the Selective Section.

“We are very embarrassed that something like this happens. We apologise very much for this incident.

“We are also willing to compensate the cost to rebuild the bike.”

Unsurprisingly, stewards took a dim view of the incident.

“The Sentinel is essential for the driver’s safety and for the safety of all other competitors in Rally Dakar,” they noted.

“Safety is one of the major concerns by the FIA.

“Safety remains a key challenge and the FIA is committed to do everything possible to protect, among others, the drivers.

“It is the obligation of the crew to react to the signal of the Sentinel System to avoid danger to themselves and others.

“The Stewards consider the behaviour of the crew as an infringement of the regulation which must have consequences.

“Since Mr. de Villiers has voluntarily contacted the rider, apologised, and will pay for the damage caused, the stewards consider a time penalty to be necessary but also appropriate.”

De Villiers had been fourth overall, 49:17s behind rally-leading Toyota team-mate Nasser Al-Attiyah, before the penalty was added after the conclusion of Stage 4.

With the sanction, he drops to 38th in the classification.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2022/01/06/de ... -incident/
As I mentioned in the other thread it seems De Villiers is a bit of a thug. There is no place in an event such as this for such behaviour. To have committed the same type of breach in two consecutive events on the second stage of the event, destroying those competitors hopes annd machiney is despicable. :aggro: :nuts: :sick:

Saying sorry two days later when he left a guy stranded miles from anywhere in the desert just doesnt cut it with me.

I would have kicked his arse out of the event and banned him from either next years Dakar or other Rally Raid events in the new Championship that includes Dakar. :annoyed:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

These bike riders are tough blokes......

Aussie Daniel Sanders turned up at the end of the stage with his face a bit of a mess.....he 'faceplanted' his navigation screen

“While I was opening with Skyler, I landed off a dune jump on a mound. That’s why my face is like this. I face-planted the navigation screen on the front.

“It was a really rough day. I hit my head pretty hard, but I was really lucky I didn’t crash.

“The airbag went off and it was good to just regroup and get to the next refuel, finish strong and try not to lose too much time today because it was the biggest stage of the race. It was good fun.
It must have been a fair hit for the airbag to deploy. I cant say it sounds like my idea of "good fun"

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Benediktas Vanagas frontflips his Toyota Hilux on Stage 4 of the 2022 Dakar Rally.

The Lithuanian and co-driver Filipe Palmeiro were unharmed in the crash, although less could be said for their ute.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Another video, this one more for @erwin greven as it is about Dakar in the Netherlands. I think it mentioned of 64 Dutch entries this year.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

thx for uploading these great vids @Everso Biggyballies! :smiley:

For us, De Rooy is a big name. Someone i would place in my all time Dutch top 5 of drivers. What Jan did with that truck and in particular in 1987 and 1988 was extraordinary. He knew what he could do with a truck and what the limits were. Therefore, he never crashed a truck.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

6 minute penalty for Price costs him stage win

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Petrucci ‘wanted to kill’ camel that threatened first Dakar stage win

Danilo Petrucci says he “wanted to kill” the camel which caused him to crash on his way to a first ever Dakar Rally stage win.
He lost time in the incident but as a result of Price's penalty thus inherited the stage win.

I believe that makes him the first MotoGP race winner to ever win a Dakar stage. (Edit: I found and added the quote below from Petrucci which confirms same)

Along the way, Petrucci took a big tumble when he had to dodge one of the beasts which often find their way onto stages in the rally.

That could have ultimately cost him the victory, before he again hurt the ankle which he had already injured in a recent training crash, all the while having trouble keeping his pants up. :haha: :haha:
He had quite a lot to say after!
“I was so, so lucky to not get injured really, [in] the first crash,” said the Italian, riding under the Tech3 KTM Factory Racing banner at Dakar, in an emotional Instagram live post.

“I wanted to kill that camel that I found after this corner. I wanted to kill him, but here they consider the camel more important than women. So, I think I would get some problems with it.

“And also, it’s quite big, a camel. I can tell you I imagined they were smaller, but no. Then, I was a little bit confused because the crash was quite heavy, I rolled quite a lot.

“I was thinking about that camel, I was saying ‘OK, I need to make it to the finish line, especially because I had a problem with my pants. They were broken, so I always tried to pull up my pants, my trousers.

“Then I pushed really hard, [Australian rider Daniel] Sanders helped me a lot. He’s really an unbelievable rider, he’s so fast, but also today my bike was so good.

“On the rocky section, we were so fast, we caught time to the others. And even I was able to navigate when we lost everyone – six of us, we lost everyone in this dry river.

“And then when I found that waypoint, I started to push a lot, but the last 50km of dunes were never-ending.

“I almost went into one hole, but fortunately I was able to change direction at the last moment. But I hit my ankle so hard.”
The triumph, which he wrote left him “crying like a baby”, also gives Petrucci a special place in history, given his two grand prix wins with Ducati.

“I’m really, really happy. I have no words, really,” said the 31-year-old.

“It’s something I still need to understand because, in a few words, when I was young, I always wanted to make history in motorsport.

“And today for me I did it, because I am the only person in this world to have won a MotoGP race and a stage at the Dakar.

“This is a thing that no one did before and I’m really, really happy.”
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago Petrucci ‘wanted to kill’ camel that threatened first Dakar stage win
*imagines him trying to throttle a camel*
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Audi review of their stage 5

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Lategan wins, Loeb second on Dakar Stage 5

Henk Lategan has become a Dakar Rally stage winner on a day when Sebastien Loeb chipped away at Nasser Al-Attiyah’s overall lead.

Lategan beat Loeb to the Stage 5 victory by 1:58s, as the latter reduced his deficit to Al-Attiyah to 35:10s at the head of the event classification for the Cars field.

As in the previous post it was another frustrating day for Audi, with Stephane Peterhansel sacrificing a possible stage win by donating suspension bits to the stricken team-mate Carlos Sainz during the stage. Sainz lost an hour in the delay. Peterhansel waited for the spares truck to arrive to replace the bits he gave Sainz.

Stephane Peterhansel swaps a damper with fellow Team Audi Sport driver Carlos Sainz

Al-Attiyah struggled somewhat with road-opening duties in his factory Toyota Hilux, a challenge made all the greater by the fact that the Cars loop was different to that of the Bikes, and hence there were no tracks to follow.

He still managed to set exactly the same time as Loeb would to the Kilometre 159 waypoint, before Loeb put some time between himself and Al-Attiyah.

Behind Lategan and Loeb in the stage top five was Lucio Alvarez (Overdrive Toyota), from Matthieu Serradori (SRT Racing) and Jakuv Przygonski (X-Raid Mini JCW Team).

Alvarez is also third overall at another 16:05s behind Loeb, with Yazeed Al Rajhi (Overdrive Toyota) fourth and Vladimir Vasilyev (VRT Team) fifth.

Overall, Sainz is now 22nd and Peterhansel 75th.

Stage 6, the last before the rest day, sees the Cars and Bikes swap loops, with the four-wheelers going east and the two-wheelers to the north.

General classification: Cars Top 10

Pos Driver Co-driver Team Time/Gap
1 Nasser Al-Attiyah Matthieu Baumel Toyota Gazoo Racing 17:24:23
2 Sebastien Loeb Fabian Lurquin Bahrain Raid Xtreme +0:35:10
3 Lucio Alvarez Armand Monleon Overdrive Toyota +0:51:15
4 Yazeed Al Rajhi Michael Orr Overdrive Toyota +0:54:46
5 Vladimir Vasilyev Oleg Uperenko VRT Team +1:07:52
6 Jakub Przygonski Timo Gottschalk Orlen Team +1:10:24
7 Sebastian Halpern Bernardo Graue X-Raid Mini JCW Team +1:22:01
8 Orlando Terranova Daniel Oliveras Carreras Bahrain Raid Xtreme +1:30:16
9 Martin Prokop Viktor Chytka Benzina Orlen Team +1:31:01
10 Mathieu Serradori Loic Minaudier SRT Racing +2:07:49

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

General Overall classification: Bikes Top 12

*NOTE These were issued prior to the news of Price getting a retrospective penalty so in fact with that penalty he has dropped to 13th. Now 37:19s behind rally leader Sam Sunderland, *

Pos Rider Nat Team Time/Gap
1 Sam Sunderland GBR GasGas Factory Team 19:01:50
2 Matthias Walkner AUT Red Bull KTM Factory Team +0:02:29
3 Adrien Van Beveren FRA Monster Energy Yamaha Rally Team +0:05:59
4 Daniel Sanders AUS GasGas Factory Team +0:08:01
5 Skyler Howes USA Husqvarna Factory Racing +0:13:36
6 Lorenzo Santolino ESP Sherco TVS Rally Factory +0:15:27
7 Pablo Quintanilla CHI Monster Energy Honda Team 2022 +0:16:55
8 Ross Branch BOT Monster Energy Yamaha Rally Team +0:18:15
9 Kevin Benavides ARG Red Bull KTM Factory Team +0:21:51
10 Stefan Svitko SVK Slovnaft Rally Team +0:22:50
12 Toby Price AUS Red Bull KTM Factory Team +0:31:19

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago

De Villiers gets five-hour penalty for second Dakar motorcycle incident
De Villiers has five-hour penalty rescinded

OK It seems I might have been a bit harsh over some of the things I said about De Villiers.....

He has had the penalty rescinded after new evidence came to light. In essence the warning device the cars get of others nearby 'might' not have deployed correctly due to a fault. The telemetery shows that if he did receive the warning it would only have been 2 seconds prior to the contact.... and with a dune between them. Also the tracking showed that De Villiers did loop back to check if the rider was ok. I still think it sounds a bit fishy as if he looped back to check the rider how come the rider was unable to get dV's competition number.

So with the removal of the 5 hour penalty De Villiers has vaulted up to 4th place and still a chance.

The official statement.
It was found not only that the Sentinel signal was weak, but also that De Villiers would have had only two seconds to react if he had indeed heard the warning.

“On 6th January, [supplier] ERTF checked the car #207 to find a malfunction of the Sentinel system,” read a stewards’ statement, in part.

“According to Mr Alex Bernard, the findings were that the antenna was installed inside the car, which is the usual installation location to protect the antenna.

“The reception of the signal depends on the type of windscreen of the vehicle. In this case, Mr Alex Bernard rates the signal strength as sufficient but not as optimum.

“He could not clearly confirm whether the received signal was actually sufficient to activate the alarm buzzer in the car.”

Furthermore, an alarm was received from the Sentinel at 08:01:57 and the impact with the bike occurred at 08:01:59.

Even if De Villiers and/or co-driver Dennis Murphy had heard it, that would not have been enough time to react given the bike had been concealed on the other side of the dune.

Tracking data also showed that the South African did drive back to check the rider was not injured.

Thus, according to stewards, “After reviewing and considering all the evidence, the stewards have concluded that no offence was committed by the driver, decision No 14 is withdrawn on that basis.”

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Stage 6: Terranova wins, Al-Attiyah extends lead

Orlando Terranova won the sixth stage of the 2022 Dakar Rally for the Prodrive-run Bahrain team, while Nasser Al-Attiyah extended his overall advantage despite finishing only 10th.

However, despite Terranova’s stage win and Roma’s top-five result, it was hardly a dream result for Prodrive as its top contender Sebastien Loeb lost 25 minutes after taking the wrong route earlier in the stage.....hence Al-Attiyah extending his lead

General classification: Cars Top 10 Toyota now fill 4 of the top 5 places.

Pos Driver Co-driver Team Time/Gap
1 Nasser Al-Attiyah Matthieu Baumel Toyota Gazoo Racing 20:37:24
2 Yazeed Al Rajhi Michael Orr Overdrive Toyota +0:48:54
3 Sebastien Loeb Fabian Lurquin Bahrain Raid Xtreme +0:50:25
4 Giniel De Villiers Dennis Murphy Toyota Gazoo Racing +0:51:56
5 Lucio Alvarez Armand Monleon Overdrive Toyota +1:06:58
6 Jakub Przygonski Timo Gottschalk Orlen Team +1:16:25
7 Vladimir Vasilyev Oleg Uperenko VRT Team +1:22:08
8 Orlando Terranova Daniel Oliveras Carreras Bahrain Raid Xtreme +1:24:00
9 Martin Prokop Viktor Chytka Benzina Orlen Team +1:30:30
10 Sebastian Halpern Bernardo Graue X-Raid Mini JCW Team +1:42:25

Stage 6 Extended highlights.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

BIKES..... Sanders wins shortened Dakar Stage 6

The Aussie has moved up one position to third overall, 5:35s behind team-mate Sam Sunderland, who made it a GasGas one-two on the day.

The last special before the rest day was to have been a 421km affair, on the same loop near Riyadh which the Cars and Trucks negotiated on the day prior.

However, the four-wheelers had left the track in a bad shape, a problem exacerbated by overnight rain.

As such, the stage was called at the first neutralisation, 101km into the special, at which point Sanders was fastest.

Toby Price, who lost a stage win due to a speeding penalty on the day prior, set the ninth-quickest time on Stage 6 and moved up to 12th in the classification, albeit now 39:09s off top spot.

Aussie Andrew Houlihan will take no further part in the 2022 Dakar Rally after sustaining rib fractures.

He wanted to press on, but officials have ruled that his condition represents too much of a risk to proceed.

He has had a tough year with ribs..... having broken ribs and punctured a lung when he crashed into kangaroos in a high-speed training crash a couple of months ago.

General classification: Bikes Top 10.... Still pretty close.

Pos Rider Nat Team Time/Gap
1 Sam Sunderland GBR GasGas Factory Team 19:55:59
2 Matthias Walkner AUT Red Bull KTM Factory Team +0:02:39
3 Daniel Sanders AUS GasGas Factory Team +0:05:35
4 Adrien Van Beveren FRA Monster Energy Yamaha Rally Team +0:07:43
5 Pablo Quintanilla CHI Monster Energy Honda Team 2022 +0:17:44
6 Lorenzo Santolino ESP Sherco TVS Rally Factory +0:18:22
7 Stefan Svitko SVK Slovnaft Rally Team +0:24:29
8 Kevin Benavides ARG Red Bull KTM Factory Team +0:24:56
9 Joan Barreda Bort ESP Monster Energy Honda +0:25:59
10 Mason Klein USA BAS Dakar KTM Racing Team +0:37:08
12 Toby Price AUS Red Bull KTM Factory Racing +0:39:09

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago

Aussie Andrew Houlihan will take no further part in the 2022 Dakar Rally after sustaining rib fractures.

He wanted to press on, but officials have ruled that his condition represents too much of a risk to proceed.

He has had a tough year with ribs..... having broken ribs and punctured a lung when he crashed into kangaroos in a high-speed training crash a couple of months ago.
Houlihan reveals scary ribcage x-ray after Dakar exit

Houlihan has just put the x-ray image of his broken ribs online...... and he wanted to continue! :nuts: Any one of those could have punctured a lung with a bit of a jolt.
As I have said before these blokes are tough.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

They have to stop this social media keyboard warrior bullshit.

De Villiers: Death threats after Dakar bike crashes "upsetting"

Giniel de Villiers says it was “upsetting” to receive online abuse and death threats after he was involved in two separate incidents with motorcycle riders on the 2022 Dakar.

I know I called him out as a seemingly bit of a thug (which I later rescinded when the second incident was ruled to be not his fault and indeed not the hit and run it was initially reported as,) but death threats. Really? Bloody lowlife out there hiding behind their keyboards.