WWF 2021 "Winner takes all "Season Finale Max v Lewis Abu Dhabi Handbags GP"

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

PTRACER wrote: 2 years ago
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years ago
DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago Lewis fans online are exactly that - fans of Lewis. They don't understand F1 history, they don't understand the nuances of the sport, and they don't even realise it. They think they know all because they only see Lewis win, and his teammate doesn't.

The sooner he goes, the better F1 will be.
Reminds me of a certain vintage of Ferrari fans.
I remember those being at The Fastlane back in the day. Schumacher could never do anything wrong and every Schumacher victory was a 10/10 race.

I've always supported the underdog, so I have a hard time supporting anyone with 100 fairly easy race victories. I don't understand the appeal.
That's the thing about motorsport... the masses think it's like football or cricket, where the equipment is not a factor.
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

I think it's worth clarifying that every fan base has its toxic portion. You might think Lewis fans are worse than Max fans but it's probably just because if you're supporting Max, you have no reason to butt heads with the more irritating of his fans.

It's even more true in football. You always hear people complaining about Chelsea fans or United fans. In reality, football fans are terrible, and no club is immune from it.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Circuitmaster wrote: 2 years ago I think it's worth clarifying that every fan base has its toxic portion. You might think Lewis fans are worse than Max fans but it's probably just because if you're supporting Max, you have no reason to butt heads with the more irritating of his fans.

It's even more true in football. You always hear people complaining about Chelsea fans or United fans. In reality, football fans are terrible, and no club is immune from it.
I uploaded an interview with Alain Prost by Nico Rosberg, where Nico gives an example of his experience of hatred towards him. It starts at 16:00. Also Alain gives an example at 10:30
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
nylz

Post by nylz »

Yesterday I watched and listened back all the driver onboards of the last few laps. One thing that stood out for me was that when passing the Latifi crash site on lap 56, Hamilton mentions "There's still lower debris down there". There is nothing visible and none of the other drivers mention anything. I think he tried to stall the situation a bit there. (I think other drivers would do the same in his position.) But could it be that Masi actually was ready to press the button "lapped cars may now overtake" at that moment? It would have been the perfect moment. No rules would have been breached. The last three marshals jumped over the rail as the first cars went by. Latifi's car was safe. And as long as it happened before the SC started lap 57, it could come in to the pits in lap 57 and the race would end as it did with one racing lap.

And could it therefore be that they had to take an extra look because of Hamilton's (possibly) false message? If so, and they found nothing, I can understand that Masi felt tricked and came up with the strange interpretations of the rules. But that also means he's done that weird action (allow only 5 cars to overtake) on purpose to get back at Hamilton.

And the other side of the story would be that Mercedes and Hamilton are very angry at a mess that was caused by their attempt to stall procedures. Which might be the reason they didn't proceed their appeals in the end.

I wonder what you think of my little theory!
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

nylz wrote: 2 years ago Yesterday I watched and listened back all the driver onboards of the last few laps. One thing that stood out for me was that when passing the Latifi crash site on lap 56, Hamilton mentions "There's still lower debris down there". There is nothing visible and none of the other drivers mention anything. I think he tried to stall the situation a bit there. (I think other drivers would do the same in his position.) But could it be that Masi actually was ready to press the button "lapped cars may now overtake" at that moment? It would have been the perfect moment. No rules would have been breached. The last three marshals jumped over the rail as the first cars went by. Latifi's car was safe. And as long as it happened before the SC started lap 57, it could come in to the pits in lap 57 and the race would end as it did with one racing lap.

And could it therefore be that they had to take an extra look because of Hamilton's (possibly) false message? If so, and they found nothing, I can understand that Masi felt tricked and came up with the strange interpretations of the rules. But that also means he's done that weird action (allow only 5 cars to overtake) on purpose to get back at Hamilton.

And the other side of the story would be that Mercedes and Hamilton are very angry at a mess that was caused by their attempt to stall procedures. Which might be the reason they didn't proceed their appeals in the end.

I wonder what you think of my little theory!
I always thought either option would be unfair - SC doesn't come in, lapped cars don't overtake - unfair on max. There was no fair ending, just a winner. The mistakes masi made were the initial no overtaking message and then not getting all the cars through when he had enough time.

Unlikely they checked the track because of Hamilton but you can guarantee Masi was fucked off with toto in his ear anyway
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
nylz

Post by nylz »

White six wrote: 2 years ago The mistakes masi made were the initial no overtaking message and then not getting all the cars through when he had enough time.
Fully agree!
White six wrote: 2 years ago Unlikely they checked the track because of Hamilton but you can guarantee Masi was fucked off with toto in his ear anyway
Haha! Yeah, especially the "please no safetycar" earlier in the race was very bad. Could be translated as "please risk the life of a marshal instead of Lewis' title".
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

The "debris message" is at 03:30

But before that Bono already mentions that the cars are not to be allowed to over take. [03:15]
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
erwin greven
Staff
Staff

Post by erwin greven »

I kept it in the old topic.
Court decision shows Mercedes would have lost 2021 Abu Dhabi F1 appeal
An obscure court decision regarding a GT race has indicated that the Mercedes Formula 1 team would have lost any appeal over the 2021 Abu Dhabi GP safety car controversy.

Following a similar disputed use of the safety car in an International GT Open event at Spielberg in September, the FIA’s International Court of Appeal declared that it would be wrong to nullify the final result because of a mistake by the race director.

The case demonstrates the sort of thinking that the ICA would have pursued, had Mercedes appealed after the Abu Dhabi race.

In the 2021 season finale, race director Michael Masi didn’t follow the established protocols after a safety car period when he resumed the race with one lap to go.

Having pitted for fresh tyres, Max Verstappen was able to overtake Lewis Hamilton over the course of the final lap and win the world championship.

After the race, Mercedes lodged two protests. The first claimed that Verstappen had overtaken Hamilton under the safety car, and the second that Masi had not complied with the regulations as not all the unlapped cars had been allowed to unlap themselves. After lengthy deliberations, both protests were dismissed.

Mercedes then lodged a notice of intention to appeal, giving the team 96 hours to make a final call on whether or not to proceed – a period that pushed right up to the FIA gala prize-giving, where Verstappen was due to be awarded the world championship trophy.

During that time the FIA confirmed that it would set up a commission to fully review the events of the race, and with the prize giving looming Mercedes eventually decided not to proceed with its appeal.

In a statement the team noted: “Together with Lewis, we have deliberated carefully over how to respond to the events at the F1 season finale. We have always been guided by our love of this sport and we believe that every competition should be won on merit. In the race on Sunday many felt, us included, that the way things unfolded was not right.

“The reason we protested the race result on Sunday was because the safety car regulations were applied in a new way that affected the race result, after Lewis had been in a commanding lead and on course to win the world championship.

“We appealed in the interest of sporting fairness, and we have since been in a constructive dialogue with the FIA and F1 to create clarity for the future, so that all competitors know the rules under which they are racing, and how they will be enforced.”

Regarding the FIA investigation, the team added that “we will actively work with this commission to build a better F1 – for every team and every fan who loves this sport as much as we do. We will hold the FIA accountable for this process and we hereby withdraw our appeal.”

The Austrian GT case also involved the safety car, although it unfolded slightly differently.

After a yellow flag period the restart took place in the wrong order, and following the chequered flag Team Motopark submitted a protest, asking for the result to be changed or nullified. That protest, as in Abu Dhabi, was rejected by the race stewards.

The team then appealed, and that appeal was subsequently heard by the court of the Spanish federation. The judges took an opposite view to the stewards, and cancelled the result almost a month after the event took place.

Another team, Optimum Motorsport, subsequently challenged that decision by taking the case to the International Court of Appeal. The matter was heard early last month, with the full result and explanation emerging this week.

In essence, the ICA backed the original judgement of the stewards and cancelled the decision of the Spanish court, duly reinstating the race result as it was declared on the Sunday night.

As a result, Optimum McLaren drivers Sam De Haan and Charlie Fagg were declared champions instead of Eastalent Racing Audi drivers Christopher Haase and Simon Reicher.

The ICA noted that the “race director did commit a breach of the regulations”, but in an extensive explanation that referenced previous cases and all applicable regulations, it declared that “the court decides therefore that neither the stewards nor the NCA [the Spanish national court] had the power to cancel the race.”

The ICA noted that there is provision in the regulations for it to amend or cancel a race result, but it also stressed such power “must be used under very restrictive circumstances”, adding that “the principle of ‘sporting fairness’ anchored under Article 1.1.1 of the [International Sporting] Code, which describes this principle as ‘fundamental’, must be central in the decision of the court.”

Significantly, the ICA added that “if it uses its specific power to annul or amend the classification, following the breach committed by the race director, it would try and rectify an unfair situation by creating another unfair situation.

The ICA concluded that “on the basis of the balance of interests, the court thus decides that it must reinstate the classification of the race and must not use its specific power to annul or amend the classification.”
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/cour ... /10571600/
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

On a seperate note,and I know it is off topic in relation to this race thread but the first thing that crossed my mind was that surely the same precedent would apply in the case of Mr Massa as he seeks to have the 2008 Singapore GP annuled.
Im sure Felipe's advisors will have to consider this in their proposed motion.
....the FIA’s International Court of Appeal declared that it would be wrong to nullify the final result because of a mistake by the race director.

The case demonstrates the sort of thinking that the ICA would have pursued,

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

It makes sense that they reached that decision as well. If they had declared the race null and void, or had agreed to changing the result, how many other races would be challenged in this way? I'm going to guess, quite a lot. They didn't want to set a precedent for that I suspect. Hence, stamp out all thoughts of this kind of appeal in the future, (or the past in cases like Felipe Massa).
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
P. Cornelius Scipio
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve

Post by P. Cornelius Scipio »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 months ago On a seperate note,and I know it is off topic in relation to this race thread but the first thing that crossed my mind was that surely the same precedent would apply in the case of Mr Massa as he seeks to have the 2008 Singapore GP annuled.
Im sure Felipe's advisors will have to consider this in their proposed motion.
....the FIA’s International Court of Appeal declared that it would be wrong to nullify the final result because of a mistake by the race director.

The case demonstrates the sort of thinking that the ICA would have pursued,
I think that the fundamental difference between the two situations is that on the one side you have a mistake and on the other an alleged fraud. Having said that I agree that changing the result of a WDC after so many years doesn't look like an ideal situation