Sprint races approved and happening in 2021. Balls.

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Bottom post of the previous page:

MonteCristo wrote: 5 months ago
Aty wrote: 5 months ago
Let’s face it, even if you’re knowledgeable, FP1 and FP2 are frankly as dull as dishwater from a TV perspective
How ignorant media can get? FP was there to setup car and test updates (you t...), and now you will make a TV show out of it?
Let's make every session a race! With its own championship! And medals awarded for some races, wreaths for others, and trophies yet for the rest (and every finisher gets a certificate). And probably a different rule book for each one.
"The Golden Turd" to be awarded for the last place finisher in the Sprint.
"The Bronze Corkscrew" to be awarded for the first crasher.
and
"The Chrome Horn" to be awarded to the first person pushed off the track.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

I can improve on that. Should Max win the Sprint, he will have to start race in pit lane, and must drive the race in reverse. Hamilton menwhile will take his place in the front of the grid, and after heroic drive he will become Duke (of something). Then either he will move to Colorado USA and starts Driving School for commuters, or he becomes next Prime Minister of UK. Whatever is more convenient for him.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 5 months ago
MonteCristo wrote: 5 months ago
Aty wrote: 5 months ago
Let’s face it, even if you’re knowledgeable, FP1 and FP2 are frankly as dull as dishwater from a TV perspective
How ignorant media can get? FP was there to setup car and test updates (you t...), and now you will make a TV show out of it?
Let's make every session a race! With its own championship! And medals awarded for some races, wreaths for others, and trophies yet for the rest (and every finisher gets a certificate). And probably a different rule book for each one.

It'll be highly exciting, and everyone will be hyper engaged by the festivities!
You forgot that there should also be bonus points for every driver who can spell their name.
Lawrence Stroll: "Can I buy a riding mechanic to do the admin tasks?"
Liberty: "Sure, that'll be $5 million."
Lawrence Stroll: "Bargain."
Liberty: "Sucker! That'll sure to be a ratings smash hit!"
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

XcraigX wrote: 5 months ago "The Chrome Horn" to be awarded to the first person pushed off the track.
... Awarded to the first person Paul Tracy beats over the head mid-race.

Another ratings smash hit!

And if ratings tank, beatings will continue until morale improves.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

DoubleFart wrote: 5 months ago Yuji Ide can return and surely get full points if we include a "fastest to write their name" category.

Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton Larbalestier unlikely to trouble the scorers.
Lance Stroll wins through technicality by writing "x".

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

It’s not working, so this is how we change it…

While Liberty Media and Formula One Management claim the Sprint format is for the fans and to improve the show, it is actually about bagging more money as Liberty continue to milk their prized F1 cow…
https://www.grandprix247.com/2023/11/11 ... should-be/

Lengthy article. My shorter recommendation - cancel Sprint format.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

F1 Commission agrees changes needed for sprint format

Hoobloodyray..... F1 have finally realised that the Sprint format is flawed. Really it isnt rocket science. The way the Sprints fit in to a race weekend at the moment is about as stupid as you could possibly make it, and compromises the main vent the Sprint crap is allegedly meant to enhance. Yes I see th benefits to all of having a second shorter race at random GPs, but not when it has such a detrimental effect on core focus... that of the main GP..

Anyway, a meeting of the F1 Commission has seen support for further changes to the sprint format to separate it from the rest of a grand prix weekend. :thumbsup:
The current schedule sees qualifying for the main race take place on Friday night after one FP1 session, and then the sprint shootout and sprint on Saturday before the grand prix on Sunday. Drivers and teams feel that schedule locks them into parc ferme regulations too soon, and it has been agreed that the format needs revising.

While no firm changes were outlined, discussions are set to take place in January over potential ideas such as moving the sprint shootout to Friday evening and the sprint then taking place before the main qualifying session on a Saturday, although a reverse grid for the sprint could also be looked into following support from a number of drivers.
https://racer.com/2023/11/24/f1-commiss ... nt-format/

Lets just hope something that is a genuine improvement comes up. Probably divorcing it entirely from the World Championship and fit it around the main race qualifying on a Saturday race on Sunday format. Have the Sprint nonsense as a secondary challenge, At least it seems that they realise what we currently have is unquestionably flawed .

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Oh. Maybe the Sprint is before any practice laps? A complete free for all with no park ferme? Make whatever adjustments you need during the race to try and win?
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

The drivers who want a reverse grid are the losers like Hamilton who knows the only way they can win is to start ahead of Max, but know their quali pace won't allow it.

F1 drivers in favour of rules that favour them shocker.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Speaking for myself only, Sprint cannot be improved. It is IMO rotten, toxic product with only one objective - make more money for some people. They can sprinkle Chanel No 5 Eau De Parfum over it, but the unpleasant olfactory sensation remains. This is a foreign concept to traditional (classic?) GP racing.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

They should do away with the main events, and increase the distance of the 'sprints' so they make a good replacement of the 'Grands Prix'. Those pit stop lotteries are a waste of time.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Just 60 odd first laps on Sunday afternoon. It's not like much happens after lap 2 anyway
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Michael Ferner wrote: 5 months ago They should do away with the main events, and increase the distance of the 'sprints' so they make a good replacement of the 'Grands Prix'. Those pit stop lotteries are a waste of time.
...but then the Sprint would become the Grand Prix? They should just ditch the stupid tyre rules. Seen too many drivers having to pit on the last lap of the race and lose their position because they were compelled by the rules to take another set they didn't need.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Ditching the tire rule would mean everyone would be on the best possible tire all the time - with no refuelling and potential extra stop beneift on lighter tank - these races would be even more processional. That's even if FIA would manipulate the allocated sets so that teams would have to run the worse compound at some stage (and the best teams would run it in Q1 so that come race day the worse teams would have fewer better compounds and the gaps to the front would increase as well).
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

I disagree, because being the faster car on a slower tyre also stops you from overtaking. And besides that there will still be the strategy of doing one stop less than the other guy. Its fine to see a car create a 20 second gal by driving the wheels off the car, if we know he needs to pit again. And maybe coming out just behind or wheel to wheel with his rival and having to overtake. That's how things were in the 90s. I'm very much into bringing back refuelling as well, and smaller fuel tanks, which means smaller cars.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I must admit I have always disliked the "every team must use two of the three chosen tyre compounds" each race meaning they have to stop at least once even if they dont need to. I woud much rather they had the old system where there would be a choice of compounds and each car could use whatever choice of tyres they wanted. If they wanted to run one set for the whole race they could, likewise they could go for softer tyres and do multipl stops if they felt that suited their car better. Different cars use their tyres in different ways, some seem to be harder of tyres than others.

To me its nonsense and ridiculous that like Sainz recently had to stop on the last lap, not because he needed to stop, but to meet the mandate of using two different compounds. In the process of that he dropped from a decents points position out of the points and as a result come the end of the season they had fallen short of Mercedes in the WCC by three points.... the points they lost by having to stop for tyres they did not need cost them the 9 million dollars bonus that would have been theirs for coming 2nd in the WCC.

I remember also earlier in the year I think it was Ocon was going long on a set of hard tyres, hoping for a late Safety Car to bank a points position, but was forced to pit from ninth on the final lap purely to meet the requirement of making a pitstop.and using two compounds.

As he peeled into the pits, the entry was blocked by photographers, marshals and other officials, getting set up for the podium ceremony, causing him to take action to avoid hitting anyone. He had to take avoiding action. No one was injured but they could have been and certainly gave him and those he nearly hit a WTF moment.

Its just a nonsense rule. They are big boys, just let them decide what tyres they need / want out of their allocated selection, not the way the rule is.

I know this tyre rule isnt even applicable to the Sprint races where tyre choice is free and stops are not obligatory but we started talking of the tyre rule and I had to get my gripe off my chest. ( **feel better now**) :haha: :wink:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always