[WEC/IMSA] 2021 - 2024 Hypercars LMH/LMDh (all Hypercar cars untill now)

WEC, Blancpain, Le Mans Series, Rolex and special events like the Le Mans 24h
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Isotta Fraschini plans two-car WEC Hypercar entry for 2024

The revived Isotta Fraschini marque could be represented by two cars when it joins the World Endurance Championship with partner team Vector Sport next year.

The British squad has revealed an intention to file entries for two Isotta Fraschini Tipo 6 Competizione Le Mans Hypercars for the 2024 WEC.

Vector team principal Gary Holland said
“We will be making two entries before the closing date in November and we hope and are hopeful that we will be granted them.

“We believe that we will bring something to the championship, be a credible player and certainly won’t be running around at the back of the field.

“But we understand the pressure on WEC entries for next year and will respect the entry process and whatever decision the organisers make.”

Holland explained that it made sense for Vector, which is moving up to the Hypercar class from LMP2, to run two cars if possible for multiple reasons.

“Our partnership with Isotta and Michelotto Engineering [which has led development of the Tipo 6] is strong enough to allow us to run two cars.

“It doubles the data you can gather over a race weekend and allows you to score more manufacturers’ points.”

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

MW and Team WRT have started their preparation for the 2024 FIA World Endurance Championship with the M Hybrid V8 (Hypercar from the German manufacturer), through three days of testing.

It is a BMW M Hybrid V8 raw carbon that recently drove on the circuit of Spa-Francorchamps (Belgium). BMW and Team WRT have gained valuable information ahead of their participation in the FIA WEC next season.
https://www.24h-lemans.com/fr/actualite ... -v-8-57825
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

A new rumour that will hopefully become fact..... (even if it is a plot to get Lance out of the Aston F1 team and into something still with high profile perceptions, yrt where he might put his talents to better use.)

Aston Martin close to reviving Valkyrie LMH project for 2025 WEC, IMSA

Aston Martin is close to reviving its Valkyrie Le Mans Hypercar for an assault on the World Endurance Championship and the IMSA SportsCar Championship from 2025.

The Valkyrie LMH programme is set to be reactivated after more than three years on the back-burner as Aston and US-based team Heart of Racing ramp up a relationship that already straddles the GT arenas in IMSA and WEC.
Autosport has learned that Aston and Heart of Racing, which is backed by computer games tycoon Gabe Newell, are closing in on a deal to bring a car conceived to start racing in 2021 to the track finally.

The deal is not done as yet, but it is understood that it could be just weeks away.

Aston is known to be speaking to suppliers about the potential programme and is already putting key staff in place to oversee the programme.

These include former Williams Formula 1 engineering director Adam Carter, who joined the new Aston Martin Performance Technologies division earlier this year.

Aston would not confirm that it is working to revive the Valkyrie LMH, but it stressed its sportscar racing DNA and that it continually evaluates its options when asked for a comment by Autosport.

“We are encouraged by the growth of the Hypercar class, and the hugely successful centenary Le Mans 24 Hours was a shining example of this,” said a spokesman.

“Motorsport is an ever changing landscape, so of course as a global hypercar brand we continue to play close attention to the class.”

Comments from Heart of Racing team principal Ian James hinted at the plans for Aston to attempt to repeat its 1959 Le Mans victory with the DBR1.

“We are always looking at new stuff,” said James, who set up Heart of Racing ahead of 2020 to mastermind Aston’s return to the GT ranks in IMSA.

“We’ve never made any secret of our desire to move up to the top class of international sportscar racing.

“But for the moment nothing has been agreed and certainly nothing signed.”

Heart of Racing, which runs out of workshops in Florida, has already expanded into the WEC with Aston this year.
.https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/asto ... /10519417/

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Citroën C2 1.4 (2006)

Post by erwin greven »

Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

About time they went for the wing. The lack of it seemed a flawed concept very early in the piece. Hopefully they can now be a bitmore competitive and make up some of the ground they have lott.

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

That's a shame. But as Everso says, hopefully they catch up thanks to it.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

MonteCristo wrote: 7 months ago That's a shame. But as Everso says, hopefully they catch up thanks to it.
Yes, agreed it is a shame because it was so different I would have liked it to succeed as originally planned, wing free.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I have a love for cars that go against the grain, with one of my favourite sportscars being the Panoz LMP-1.

The livery is really nice as well on that 9X8. Hopefully it's back and it's fast. I have my doubts though...
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Updated 2024 Caddy tests at Imola.

This sounds really proper. Cross plane crank and all that.
Mamma Mia, what a fantastic sound! Now that I have heard and seen it live, there is no doubt the 2024 Cadillac V-LMDh EVO Hypercar, thanks to its naturally aspirated V8 engine with Cross-Plane crankshaft, sounds like a real racing car and puts it to shame, at least in this respect, the European competitors. Cadillac technicians developed the LMC55R engine, a 5.5-Liter DOHC 90° V8 combined with the 50 kW (67 hp) MGU hybrid system by Bosch. The overall power of the two engines is 670 HP, and a seven-speed sequential Xtrac P1359 gearbox is used to move the car. The Cadillac V-LMDH project was born based on the LMP2 chassis supplied by the Italian company Dallara and is composed of a carbon fibre monocoque. The braking system is also Italian, using 380/355mm Brembo carbon discs and 6-piston monobloc Brembo calipers. In 2023, Cadillac participated in the endurance world championship for the first time with a car entrusted to the Chip Ganassi Racing team of Earl Bamber, Alex Lynn and Richard Westbrook and in the prestigious 24 Hours of Le Mans, the Cadillac V-LMDh #2 reached the third step of the podium, while in the American IMSA championship, it has currently achieved two victories, at the 12H of Sebring with the Cadillac Racing Team and at the Hyundai Monterey Sports Car on the circuit of Laguna Seca with the Whelen Engineering Racing team

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

While I have a soft spot for the Pug, that's my favourite car.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

GREAT NEWS

Sadly not for the next Le.Mans, but the outright class keeps growing, and Aston Martin have confirmed today they will be back at Le Mans as an outright car, running a V12 Valkyrie in Hypercars. Its not only Le Mans.....

Aston Martin has formally announced it will revive its shelved Valkyrie Hypercar programme for the FIA World Endurance Championship and IMSA Weathertech SportsCar Championship starting in 2025.

The project was shelved in 2020 following concerns surrounding cost, but has been reborn due to positive connection with its customers and the technology benefit to its road car division.

The Official word from Aston Martin:

Aston Martin Valkyrie will carry Aston Martin into the fight for overall victory in the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Backed by Aston Martin’s championship-winning endurance racing partner Heart of Racing, from 2025, at least one Valkyrie racecar will grace the Hyperclass class of both the FIA World Endurance Championship and IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championships.

Le Mans. Daytona. Sebring. Aston Martin’s era-defining hypercar will bring intensity to three of sportscar racing’s most prestigious events.

“Performance is the lifeblood of everything that we do at Aston Martin, and motorsport is the ultimate expression of this pursuit of excellence” said Lawrence Stroll, Chairman of Aston Martin.

“We have been present at Le Mans since the earliest days, and through those glorious endeavours we succeeded in winning Le Mans in 1959 and our class 19 times over the past 95 years. Now we return to the scene of those first triumphs aiming to write new history with a racing prototype inspired by the fastest production car Aston Martin has ever built.”
https://www.astonmartin.com/en/our-worl ... born-to-do

MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Nice!

What's the bet it'll only maintain the car count after someone else drops out in the meantime.

In any case, good news.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Aston Martin at Le Mans

OK, lets have a look at the Aston Martin history at Le Mans as a way of celebrating their return to the outright class. In outright terms they are not the most successful British team.... that honour goes to Jaguar with 7 wins, 5 in the fifties and two more in later years. I believe they have another 8th, albeit non outright piece of silver in their trophy cabinet. Bentley are close behind on 6 outright victories, including their most recent win in 2003.

However, throw in their class and other awards Aston are the most successful in terms of trophies.....Its 24 pots of various kinds earned since its debut in 1929 includes three Rudge-Whitworth Biennial Cups, two Indices of Performance – all secured prior to 1951 – and 19 capacity class/category wins. Lagonda, a name now associated with Aston add another, but their outright win came in 1935, well before Lagonda became part of Aston post WW2 in 1947.

Oh and I will just throw in that Aston not only won in 1959, they came 2nd as well. And more.... Winning Le Mans was just part of their great year as tthey went on to end up winning the World Sports Car Championship in the same year.... a magnificent achievement for Aston Martin, during a time otherwise dominated by the prancing horse in the aftermath of the Jaguar triumphs..

The bit I like was it was done in proper Le Mans style.... Salvadori and Shelby drove to Le Mans in an Aston Martin DB MK III. Fairman meanwhile took a Lagonda Shooting Brake packed with spares for the race. :thumbsup: :bow:

Shelby and Salvadori engaged in a heated contest of ‘Gin Rummy’ card games throughout the Le Mans week. By the end of it Salvadori was £28 up on his team-mate, though it’s not known whether Shelby ever paid up. :haha:

With help from Aston Martin Heritage here is a bit about the cars and drivers first.

THE CARS
The Aston Martin DBR1 model was built to replace the Aston Martin DB3S; it was developed by a small team, lead by Ted Cutting who personally designed the bodywork, chassis and engine.

The car initially featured a 2.5 Litre inline 6, due to the racing regulations at the time limiting displacement, but later they were able to run a 3 litre inline 6, that in the 1957 specification produced 250 bhp. At the time the DBR1 was at the cutting edge in terms of technology; for example having an alloy engine block and a rear transaxle.

While the Aston Martin DBR1 is undoubtedly most famous for its overall win at the 1959 24 hours of Le Mans, it also did well in other races and championships; the DBR1 sits in rare company being one of only 3 cars in the 1950s to win the 24 hours of Le Mans and the Worlds Sports Car championship, the others both being Ferraris, the 375 Plus and the 250 TR.

THE DRIVERS
For the 1959 24 Hours of Le Mans there were 3 DBR1s entered under the team of David Brown Racing.

The Drivers were as follows, for David Brown Racing, Stirling Moss & Jack Fairman in the #4 DBR1, Roy Salvadori & Carroll Shelby in the #5 DBR1 and Maurice Trintignant & Paul Frére in the #6 DBR1.

There was also 4th car, a private entry for Team A.G. Whitehead. The #7 DBR1 for team A.G. Whitehead was driven by Graham Whitehead & Brian Naylor.

Lets look closer at the 1959 race. Motorsport Magazine did a detailed look at that so I will add their account. I will start it off.....

The race began at 4pm Saturday as tradition, in dry conditions, with Stirling Moss getting away and leading the early stages of the race at a very fast pace. This was a strategy to lure the Ferraris into going very fast too.

Meanwhile the other two David Brown Racing DBR1s were sitting back in 8th and 9th position. By the evening the 250 TR of Behra & Gurney was comfortably leading from the Moss & Fairman DBR1.For a while these two cars were the only cars on the lead lap having both lapped the other cars in the race......
'It was our last shot': how Aston Martin snatched its only Le Mans win

Huddersfield transmission-and-tractor tycoon David Brown had tried 10 times to win with the company that he had bought for £20,500 in 1947: a quest resulting in three second places – in 1955, 1956 and 1958 – and much heartache.

The cars that bore his name and initials were pretty and nimble but lacked the grunt required by this high-speed circuit. The (originally) 2.6-litre straight-six included in his £50k purchase of Lagonda in 1947 was, according to Stirling Moss, “pernickety”: “I was used to things coming past us.”

Hardly the stuff of Mulsanne Straight lore.

Though the race had come to it with the introduction of a 3-litre limit in 1958, and though the DBR1 that carried it was even prettier and nimbler than its predecessor, its main V12 rival still came sailing past. The same would be true in 1959. Despite 400rpm extra due to improved but unlovely aerodynamics — deeper, flared front wings; removable spats over the rear wheels; a tonneau across the passenger seat; and higher, more rounded rear bodywork – DBR1’s top speed was reckoned by some to be as much as 15mph shy of that of Ferrari’s Testa Rossa.

The pressure was on.

Moss Salvadori Le Mans 1959

Roy Salvadori prepares to climb aboard his Aston Martin DBR1 (No 5), while Stirling Moss leaps into his (No 4)

“David [Brown] had made it very clear that this was possibly our last shot at it,” said chief designer Ted Cutting. “Not his last shot, you understand — ours.”

If Aston were to win, it would be by rigorous application of strategy and tactics formulated by shrewd general manager John Wyer and implemented via the loud hailer of respected team manager Reg Parnell.

The former was convinced that the Ferraris would fight among themselves. To make doubly sure he asked Moss to be his fox to the Prancing Horses.

“I don’t think Stirling ever thought that he was going to finish that race,” said Cutting. “That wasn’t his job. There was a distinct feeling among us that the Ferraris had a flaw that season — overheating — and we wanted to take advantage of that.”

Moss begged to differ: “Wyer gave me carte blanche to drive as hard as I could while sticking to the rev limit; I planned to take more out of myself than the car. There’s nothing worse than loping around Le Mans. I wasn’t, though, planning on retiring.”

A broken valve sidelined him after five hours. He had done his utmost – bolting from the run-and-jump start – but even the sublime Moss had had to give best to a Jean Behra driving seemingly in a fury: the Aston gained another 350rpm in the stampeding Ferrari’s slipstream.

Wyer refused to panic, and wry smiles and knowing looks were exchanged – Moss was by now in his civvies on the pit wall – when the leading Ferrari pitted after 129 laps, its left-hand exhausts emitting smoke, its cockpit smeared with oil.

What was concerning, however, was that the remaining works Ferrari appeared to be wise to Wyer. Even when carburetion problems dropped Phil Hill/Olivier Gendebien from third place to eighth during the fourth hour, they, too, had refused to panic. The winners of 1958 recovered gradually as midnight came and went — and took the lead when Roy Salvadori pitted his Aston just before 2am because of a mysterious vibration.

1959. In pursuit of Ferrari, Aston Martin pits its DBR1

“The mechanics could find nothing wrong,” said Salvadori. “I was told to carry on for several more laps until the car became eligible for refuelling [30 laps had to be completed between liquid ‘refreshments’]. By this time it was so bad that I thought the rear end was about to fall off, and I lapped at a crawl.”

He feared the usual gearbox issues – a DB product, embarrassingly – but in fact his right-rear Avon had lost a chunk of tread.

“Almost 2ft of it,” said Cutting, who had skipped the race in order to concentrate on Astons’ nascent Grand Prix car. “When finally they decided to have a proper look and took the spat off, it became clear that the tyre was ruined.”

Up to 15 minutes had been lost – but it could have been so much worse. Plus, a soothing Wyer told the fretful Salvadori, that final Testa Rossa would retire. Just stick to the plan.

Salvadori and co-driver Carroll Shelby drove as hard as they dared, but the fundamentally faster Ferrari continued to edge away — the Aston suffering a misfire at half-distance — and its lead at one point stretched to four laps.

“Carroll and I had the right mental approach,” said Salvadori. “We decided to put all our effort into late braking and fast cornering in order to save the engine and gearbox.”

The car, in fact, was healthier than its drivers: Roy, recovering from flu, was being increasingly hampered by a foot cooked by a rerouted exhaust; and Shelby, suffering the lingering effects of dysentery, was racing with a nitroglycerin tablet under his tongue.

Aston Martin Le Mans 1959 Carroll Shelby

Carroll Shelby at the wheel of the Aston Martin DB1

“I’m not sure he knew what the problem was,” said Cutting of the heart problem that would cause Shelby to hang up his helmet at the end of 1960. “He probably thought he had indigestion. If he did know, he was wise enough to keep his mouth shut. He didn’t want to miss out on this golden opportunity.”

The endgame began not long after 11am. Gendebien, normally so mechanically minded, had missed his water temp creeping off the dial. Overheating V12 misfiring, he pitted and harassed mechanics increased the fuel pump’s pressure to strengthen the mixture. One more lap. No joy.

Next they poured water on the pump to cure potential vapour locks. Another lap. Still no joy. (One of the copper rings sealing a combustion chamber had burnt through.) Unable even to check the radiator’s level amid a 30-lap stint, retirement was forgone.

With team-mates Paul Frère/Maurice Trintignant now riding shotgun two laps down, Salvadori circulated 40sec slower than his earlier pace – oil usage was becoming a worry – and hopped out (literally) with two hours to go. He had driven for the maximum 14 hours permitted. His foot forever bore a scar to prove it.

The garrulous Shelby in his trademark pinstriped bib-and-braces — his “Arkansas dinner jacket”— and the buttoned-up, hawkish Wyer made for an odd couple, but they got on well and trusted each other.

“If you did what [Wyer] asked, whatever happened, he’d never complain,” said Shelby. “But he was unforgiving if you didn’t listen.”

This was no time to break that bond. The fastidiously briefed Shelby jumped in. And at 4pm most of the rest of the team – the besuited Brown perching between Salvadori and Moss — jumped on the parading victorious Aston.

Shelby David Brown Aston Martin Le Mans 1959

Carroll Shelby (right), David Brown (middle) and Reg Parnell (left) celebrate victory at Le Mans
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... -mans-win/

Note: If @erwin greven or @PTRACER feel this is more a Nostalgia post please feel free to move it. I put it here purely in context of todays news. :wink:

The winning #5 Aston Martin DBR1 of Roy Salvadori (GB) and Carroll Shelby (USA) covered 2701 miles at an average speed of 112.5mph, shattering all records for a 3.0-litre class car in 1959.

A few more piccies of Astons in the 1959 LM24......

Victorious Aston Martin DBR1 of Roy Salvadori (GB) and Carroll Shelby (USA)

Just after the start.

The Moss Fairman 'Hare' car.

Victorious Aston Martin DBR1 of Roy Salvadori (GB) and Carroll Shelby (USA)

Stirling Moss helps celebrate the Aston win albeit when he retired.

Salvadori at Arnage

Salvadori

Video Highlights

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I for one welcome Lance Stroll to Le Mans.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: British Touring Car Championship
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton

Post by Nononsensecapeesh »

The Aston Martin and Lamborghini Le Mans Hypercars look awesome!
MonteCristo

Post by MonteCristo »

Nice.