Sebastian Vettel retiring after 2022 season

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Aty wrote: 1 year ago D/T 2022.11.29 / 12:19 (UTC)

Dr. Marko thinks Seb can replace him.
While some ponder Sebastian Vettel's possible return as an F1 driver, Helmut Marko believes the four-time world champion would be the ideal candidate to oversee Red Bull's racing operations
http://www.f1reader.com/news/tag/vettel ... him-338663

Sounds like there are some gifts emerging under the tree for Seb. I am nor sure how realisic that is, but it's nice when people think of you in good terms.
While I can see him remaining around the sport, I can't see him having a fulltime job for at least a couple of years.

If your rationale for retiring from travelling around the world is spending more time with a young family, then you're going to spend at least a bit of time with them until they drive you up the wall and you try to ghost your way gradually towards other things.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

MonteCristo wrote: 1 year ago

While some ponder Sebastian Vettel's possible return as an F1 driver, Helmut Marko believes the four-time world champion would be the ideal candidate to oversee Red Bull's racing operations

Sounds like there are some gifts emerging under the tree for Seb. I am nor sure how realisic that is, but it's nice when people think of you in good terms.
While I can see him remaining around the sport, I can't see him having a fulltime job for at least a couple of years.

If your rationale for retiring from travelling around the world is spending more time with a young family, then you're going to spend at least a bit of time with them until they drive you up the wall and you try to ghost your way gradually towards other things.
Yeah, it makes sense, yet as I sit here as a keyboard warrior, I would like to have his "problems". For now I am green with envy. Fact is, I have mental difficulty to say farewell to this fellow, hoping this all is temporary, and he will be back.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Aty wrote: 1 year ago
MonteCristo wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah, it makes sense, yet as I sit here as a keyboard warrior, I would like to have his "problems". For now I am green with envy. Fact is, I have mental difficulty to say farewell to this fellow, hoping this all is temporary, and he will be back.
I'm feeling the opposite. Maybe because he is only 3 months older than me I think he is still so young, but driving wise he's been a bit out of it for several years now and it is totally time for him to move on.

I don't even feel his championship victories with Red Bull were because he was by far the best driver, like Max is now.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

DownForce wrote: 1 year ago
PTRACER wrote: 1 year ago
DownForce wrote: 1 year ago :aggro: I have a feeling he will come back and replace Alonso in 2024
Is Alonso only on a one year contract?
IMO, He is partnered with the Team owner's son so he can't be his usual SelfishSelf and can't criticize the team otherwise a multi-year Contract can be trashed.
That's a valid point. Obviously I don't know Alonso personally, but I cannot see him getting on with Strulovitch Jr. at all. I think there will be a lot of friction there next year.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2022.11.29 / 16:14 (UTC)
A few notes about Vettel by someone close to him:
Horner makes confession over Vettel's Ferrari switch
https://www.the-fastlane.co.uk/forums/p ... 18#preview
F1: SEBASTIAN VETTEL TIRED AFTER DOMINANT RUN IN F1, SAYS CHRISTIAN HORNER
https://www.auto123.com/en/news/f1-seba ... ner/18460/

I think his driving part is over for good, so I stated in one of the earlier posts, and if he returns, then in some other role.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

DownForce wrote: 1 year ago :aggro: I have a feeling he will come back and replace Alonso in 2024
IMO, He is partnered with the Team owner's son so he can't be his usual SelfishSelf and can't criticize the team otherwise a multi-year Contract can be trashed.
That's a valid point. Obviously I don't know Alonso personally, but I cannot see him getting on with Strulovitch Jr. at all. I think there will be a lot of friction there next year.
This could be Alonso vs Hamilton (2007) all over again, only with Stroll instead, obviously ;) It could make it very interesting to watch. Hmmm, I wonder who management will side with if it all kicks off :dunno:

Alonso has a 'multi year' contract at Aston Martin. Part of the reason he left Alpine was because they were only offering a one year deal I believe.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Star wrote: 1 year ago
This could be Alonso vs Hamilton (2007) all over again, only with Stroll instead, obviously ;) It could make it very interesting to watch. Hmmm, I wonder who management will side with if it all kicks off :dunno:
So either Hamilton is the equivalent of Stroll or Alonso has slipped down a few notches to be on Stroll's level now?? :haha: :rofl:
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
DownForce
Silver Member
Silver Member
Favourite Motorsport: JapanGT, F1
Favourite Racing Car: PorscheGT3 Cup / RSR
Favourite Driver: Takuma Sato
Favourite Circuit: Suzuka, Monaco, Fuji
Car(s) Currently Owned: Porsche GT3, AMGC63, AudiRS4,GT3cup

Post by DownForce »

If not Strulovitch it will be someone else. Alonso is too old to change his toxicity. Of course I may be wrong.
║═╣║║║╠╗╔╣║║╚╬╗╔╣║╔╝
║╔╣╦║║║║║║╦╠╗║║║║║╚╗
╚╝╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╩═╩╩╩╩╩═╝

The Fastlane Awards 2022 -- ROOKIE of the YEAR
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

If not Strulovitch it will be someone else. Alonso is too old to change his toxicity. Of course I may be wrong.
I'm inclined to agree, I don't think Alonso is going to change his attitude, most people don't, especially when they get to his age. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, but I think we will see fireworks there before the end of 2023!

Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: British Touring Car Championship
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton

Post by Nononsensecapeesh »

Star wrote: 1 year ago
I'm inclined to agree, I don't think Alonso is going to change his attitude, most people don't, especially when they get to his age. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, but I think we will see fireworks there before the end of 2023!
I agree.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2022.12.05 / 11:52 (UTC)

Regarding Seb's plans:
Giving a glimpse into what life after racing could look like, Vettel said: "I have been able to grow and mature in many ways and reflect on a lot of things.

"It is always the same rhythm season by season but I am happy I was able to build so much off-track as well.

"I found a partner, now wife, that I am very in love with still after so many years. We have got three kids, I look forward to spending more time at home with the dog.
I am sure four legged friend deserves to see his dad more often. Wife on the other hand might ask in not too distant future when will Seb return to racing. :happy:
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Last night, Sebastian Vettel (and many other drivers) were in London for the Autosport Awards. Seb won the 'Lifetime Achievement Award' and from what I have seen/read, it was a popular decision. He said it was the trophy he'd won this year, bless him :)
Sebastian Vettel presented with Gregor Grant Award
Retiring four-time Formula 1 world champion Sebastian Vettel has been honoured at the 2022 Autosport Awards with the presentation of a Gregor Grant Award.

Vettel scored 53 world championship grand prix victories from his 299 world championship starts and took four consecutive titles between 2010 and 2013 with Red Bull. He retired from F1 after finishing 10th for Aston Martin in November’s Abu Dhabi GP season finale.

The 35-year-old German received his Award, which recognises lifetime achievement in motorsport, from Autosport F1 reporter Luke Smith at the Autosport Awards at Grosvenor House on 4 December.

Asked what he would miss about racing, Vettel said: "What I love so much - initially I didn't get it because you're young, but I think the opportunity to work with so many people that are very passionate about what they do.

"I thought 10 years ago, 'That's normal, it's how everybody lives their lives'. But then I found out it's not normal and a lot of people don't have that privilege.

"You have so much motivation from the inside of you coming out and to meet so many skilled men and women along the way and have fun. There's so much that I took from these years."

Vettel said he was "not sure what's next for me, but I'm very excited about it", explaining that he was looking forward to spending some time with three children and wife.

"It's not that I hate Formula 1, I enjoyed the last couple of races, after the announcement it was a big weight off my shoulders because it's been a whole that this sport was in my head and I'm very much looking forward to giving the time that I got when I as that age [to my children].

"My parents made so much time for me and I want to be there as well."
Click on the link for footage of the presentation :cool:

https://www.autosport.com/autosport-awa ... /10407832/

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Caption of the day: "Vettel has spotted his long lost hair dresser in the crowd..."
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2022.12.15 11:41 (CET)
GP247
Mattia Binotto revealed that the toughest moment of his foray as Ferrari Team Principal was informing Sebastian Vettel that his contract won’t be renewed.

One would expect the decision to submit his resignation from his role as Ferrari boss should’ve been the toughest moment of his career, but that’s apparently not the case as that decision was most probably taken for him knowing Ferrari and how things are handled there.

So, in 2020 and even before the season – delayed by the Covid-19 pandemic – started, Binotto was tasked to inform four-time Formula 1 Champion Sebastian Vettel that his contract will not be renewed.
https://www.grandprix247.com/2022/12/15 ... vettel-go/

I am still not sure on whose decision the contract with Vettel was not renewed. Was the order issued exclusively in NY and Binotto was tasked to do the talking? Seb's future with Ferrari was over as soon as Leclerc was hired as a leading driver. One way or another, the process of elimination began in NY (IMO).
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

I understood the decision was made when /straight after Seb took Charles out at the 2019 Brazilian GP. Sainz also confirmed that Ferrari approached him before Christmas 2019 about replacing Sebastian for 2021. Seb also confirmed no offer was ever made by Ferrari to him at that time, simply he would not be retained.

Who at Ferrari made the decision I dont know. Whether it was Binotto or there were other senior Ferrari influences

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always