Sebastian Vettel retiring after 2022 season

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I think it's an interesting update on an F1 driver. Until he commits to a new series (and we start a new thread appropriately), the little bits of news seem to belong in this thread.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

XcraigX wrote: 4 weeks ago I think it's an interesting update on an F1 driver. Until he commits to a new series (and we start a new thread appropriately), the little bits of news seem to belong in this thread.
Thats what I was thinking and why I posted the Sports car test info here.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I just turned on Talksport and immediately recognised it was Sebastien Vettel talking.

I missed what he was talking about initially, but something about drink or hydration and not having sugary stuff?

EDIT: He was promoting his vitamin drink which I think is BACX, which he has been a lead investor since early 2023.

Max: It would be better to have 2, 3 or 4 racers, but he's a fan of his ability.

Mercedes: Doesn't know what has gone wrong because he is just a viewer like the rest of us.

F1 itself: Current level of competition is nothing new. True for football, downhill skiing etc. It all depends on the angle you watch from, and you should focus on the excellence Max is achieving.

Lewis saying F1 is bad environment for Women: In some areas F1 moves fast, like in technology. In some it moves slow. There is change in the air and things are getting better. More women when I finished than when I started, both as fans and as workers.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 weeks ago
XcraigX wrote: 4 weeks ago I think it's an interesting update on an F1 driver. Until he commits to a new series (and we start a new thread appropriately), the little bits of news seem to belong in this thread.
Thats what I was thinking and why I posted the Sports car test info here.
You're both right, ignore me, I was clearly having a 'moment' when I posted before ;)
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

https://racer.com/2024/04/03/vettel-tem ... edes-link/

Sebi has itch he needs to scratch.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Vettel says F1 return could be ‘appealing and interesting’ as he reveals talks with Mercedes boss Wolff
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... alXeQ1DWKl

I really would like that to happen, but as long as Max, and others, are on the market, I fear Seb would not get that seat. Just that thought is nice.

Reuters:
“Potentially I am because I haven’t got a drive, but the question is, am I looking for one? I think it depends on the package,” he said.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Max is not going to leave. He can't get any better.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

erwin greven wrote: 3 weeks ago Max is not going to leave. He can't get any better.
I tend to agree that he has best seat in the house at the moment, but I am also not sure why he is holding off to say what he wants to do. I am also hoping he is not going to get suddenly stupid and sign with AM.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Seb might become a Porsche brand ambassador, however his participation in Le Mans race is in doubt.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Aty wrote: 3 weeks ago
erwin greven wrote: 3 weeks ago Max is not going to leave. He can't get any better.
I tend to agree that he has best seat in the house at the moment, but I am also not sure why he is holding off to say what he wants to do. I am also hoping he is not going to get suddenly stupid and sign with AM.
AFAIK he has said several times that he has a contract till 2028. And when he still likes to be in F1, he will stay in F1. And when not, he will do something else.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

If Max can win the two titles before 2026 then he will be on 5 titles and 75+ wins. If he raced on for another 5-6 years, even accounting for a team switch for the new regs, then he would be within touching distance of being the statistically greatest ever.

Question is what he wants his legacy to be - the best F1 driver ever, or the best driver ever? He definitely wants to win Le Mans and the WEC title. He is too involved in endurance not to want to win it.
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

erwin greven wrote: 3 weeks ago
AFAIK he has said several times that he has a contract till 2028. And when he still likes to be in F1, he will stay in F1. And when not, he will do something else.
It's not straight forward as it sounds. It was mentioned by several reputable sources, that due to RBR's uncertainty whether he stays or leaves, he is being kept out from development and relevant internal meetings. Unless I have missed some change in that situation, than internat restrictions of that kind remain. He has an exit clause in his contract (so was announced), which makes his stay at RBR tentative. It is also a reason (as i understand it) why Mercedes have not made final decision on Hamilton's replacement yet. They waiting for him. Max needs to explicitly confirm to RBR that he is not going anywhere for internal conditions be reset to previous state. That was my point in previouis post. Maybe he has done it, but I didn't read about it as yet.

Reuters:
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff, who is losing seven-time F1 Champion Lewis Hamilton to Ferrari at the end of the season, has said Verstappen would be top of his list of possible replacements if he becomes available.

Wolff also mentioned Alonso, Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz – the only non-Red Bull driver to win a race in the last two seasons – and Mercedes-backed F2 rookie Kimi Antonelli as possible options.

Verstappen repeated at a press conference on Thursday that he was “very happy” at Red Bull and said he was not thinking about future moves. (Reporting by John Geddie)
Please note that "I am not thinking about it" is not the same as "I am staying for duration of the contract."
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

erwin greven wrote: 3 weeks ago
I cant see Seb coming back to F1 prior to 2026, and only then if F1 manages to move to 100% fully sustainable fuel, a task in its own right that seems to be a greater challenge than first anticipated. I wouldnt be surprised if the 100% sustainable objective is delayed beyond 2026. The hypocrisy of a Seb return to F1 with anything short of fully sustainable fuel would preclude any return. Seb is too proud and too committed to his environmental issues and agenda alone for it to overide any internal twitches of a return he might have.

Never say never (re returning to F1) is far from saying stuff my family wishes and my family time I so enjoy, and personal environmental values, and who cares if I stink of hypocrisy I am going to return.

Lets get real. A return to F1 is not, as long a Sebs bum points towards the ground, going to happen for 2025. End of. Regardless of anyones fantasy. A test in a fully sustainably fuelled WEC Hypercar, or a demo in one of his own personal F1 cars (also converted to run on sustainable fuels) is no grounds to think anything other than him scratching that racing itch.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Stinking of hypocrisy? He would fit in perfectly with the "moral compass of F1" Lewis Hamilton who proudly blasted his crossdressing nephew to his huge social media following, then went all Pro-LGBT, and then happily went racing to Saudi and Qatar.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Regarding Sebastian and his (potential) association with Porsche is not that hypocritical. Porsche is focusing on electrification of its vehicles, including new generation of fuels, all in line with Sebastian's philosophy. Whether he would return to the F1 is something I cannot say, because he usually smiles and says - depends... I think he likes to tease people a lot.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Aty wrote: 3 weeks ago Regarding Sebastian and his (potential) association with Porsche is not that hypocritical. Porsche is focusing on electrification of its vehicles, including new generation of fuels, all in line with Sebastian's philosophy. Whether he would return to the F1 is something I cannot say, because he usually smiles and says - depends... I think he likes to tease people a lot.
Agree completely. Plus, let's not forget that the WEC already operates with it's new sustainable fuel (since 2022):
https://www.fiawec.com/en/news/totalene ... a-wec/7286
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy: