Worst cars to carry the #1

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: British Touring Car Championship
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton

Post by Nononsensecapeesh »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Michael Ferner wrote: 1 year ago When "you really think about it", you realize you can't judge it by today's standards. People practiced (in the true sense of the word) in those days, and didn't care much about lap times.
Point taken. I have nothing more to say on the matter.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Nononsensecapeesh wrote: 1 year ago Image
The Renault 19 from the 1993 British Touring Car Championship.
Having said that, Robb Gravett's Trakstar Racing Ford Sapphire from the 1991 British Touring Car Championship didn't exactly cover itself in glory. It took Robb 5 races just to get into the points and he only scored one podium all season with a 2nd at Brands Hatch.

The Renault 19 scored two wins in 1993 by contrast.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

The Lotus 76 perhaps? Only scored one 4th place and no other finishes.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Nononsensecapeesh wrote: 1 year ago https://hallandhall.net/Content/Images/ ... a5ebfb.jpg
The Lotus 76 perhaps? Only scored one 4th place and no other finishes.
Would say: yes. the 1974 season was a disaster for the "type 76".
It was too complicated. And suffered a lot because of it.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Raul Boesel's Reynard 96I from the 1996 Indycar Series. It must be a strong contender at least since he was driving for Team Green who'd won the Championship the previous year with Jacques Villeneuve yet Raul managed just two 7ths and an 8th all season.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Red Bull RB10. I know it won three races but not in Vettel's hands and he was the defending Champion.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Granted this car only carried the #1 at its launch but the Monte Carlo 001 infamously qualified 36th and last at the Imola round of the 1986 International F3000 Season with a time of over 3 MINUTES in the hands of Fulvio Ballabio in what was its only appearance! Arguably the Life L190 of Formula 3000.
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

I just remembered the infamous Maserati Biturbo 331 carried #1 during 1987 WTCC season. This car has to be a strong contender for the worst touring car ever to actually hit the track given it was supposed to run in the "elite" class. Armin Hahne & Bruno Giacomelli were the main drivers though Kevin Bartlett provided some local knowledge during the Australian rounds towards the end of the season. The car had numerous turbo & misfire issues and was never in any competition during the Ford Sierra vs BMW M3 rivalry heyday.

07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Vassago wrote: 5 months ago I just remembered the infamous Maserati Biturbo 331 carried #1 during 1987 WTCC season. This car has to be a strong contender for the worst touring car ever to actually hit the track given it was supposed to run in the "elite" class. Armin Hahne & Bruno Giacomelli were the main drivers though Kevin Bartlett provided some local knowledge during the Australian rounds towards the end of the season. The car had numerous turbo & misfire issues and was never in any competition during the Ford Sierra vs BMW M3 rivalry heyday.

They were slightly less awful when they finally ran them on fuel injection not carburettors, (not to. mention uprated the twin turbos) but I think by then they had been sent to pasture in the Italian local and other TC scenes. There was I am sure a rally version run by someone as well.

Former Volvo punter, Thomas Lindström, also ran one in Group A in 1988/89. It was earlier this year for sale being offered with FIA paperwork to go Historic / Heritage TC Racing . Yours for 130,000 Euros, with a host of spares.! Kari Mäkinen in Sweden was trying to sell it. Pretty sure its still available :haha:

Good on paper when /if they got it running properly.... the engine (2.5 V6) produced 570bhp so not too shabby.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

Yeah, the Biturbo was sampled in the national "saloon car" series in the late 80s as well including BTCC where even Tomas Mezera run some races in it as late as 1989. The next season introduced the Super Touring regs and Maserati was never to be seen again AFAIK.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Vassago wrote: 5 months ago I just remembered the infamous Maserati Biturbo 331 carried #1 during 1987 WTCC season. This car has to be a strong contender for the worst touring car ever to actually hit the track given it was supposed to run in the "elite" class. Armin Hahne & Bruno Giacomelli were the main drivers though Kevin Bartlett provided some local knowledge during the Australian rounds towards the end of the season. The car had numerous turbo & misfire issues and was never in any competition during the Ford Sierra vs BMW M3 rivalry heyday.

Its best result was 12th in the 1987 Tourist Trophy.