F1 2023 stuff not worthy of it's own thread

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Ben Sulayem’s mishaps and meddling leave F1 asking if FIA is fit for purpose
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/other/ ... fc7f&ei=18
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/motors ... 1da1&ei=17

One cannot escape feeling that some people would like to get Ben Sulayem out, and their YES man in. Hard to say how long Ben will last. Having said that, I think that FiA could use little scrubbing, but for other reasons than articles is referring to.
Last edited by Aty 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Ben is not a name. It's like calling Elio de Angelis "de"!
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Michael Ferner wrote: 3 months ago Ben is not a name. It's like calling Elio de Angelis "de"!
True. My err. It's corrected.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

It's one of the biggest questions that many people have when watching Formula 1, how hard is it compared to other sports?

Last year's Qatar Grand Prix showed just how tough it can be for drivers, after they experienced extreme heat.

Logan Sargeant had to retire from that race due to exhaustion, while several other drivers admitted to fainting behind the wheel.
RN365

This was last year. This year the same and more. FiA is very hush hush about it. Heat, exhustion, travel to and from 20 countries in a season ahead.

Do I feel sorry for drivers? In a way I do. There is not enough money in a bank to compensate for potential consequences after fainting behind the steering wheel while travelling at 300+ klicks, and ending hitting a track safety barrier.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

One of the new feeds I follow just posted this: https://www.grandprix.com/news/top-ten- ... unoda.html

If Yuki is #10... I wonder who the top nine are and who is #11. I kind of think that the top nine would include Verstappen, both Mercedes drivers, both Ferrari drivers, Norris, Alonso, and both Alpine drivers. So kind of wondering who they are rating as worse than Yuki: Perez, Albon, DR, Hulkenberg ???
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Team principals ranking of drivers in 2023.

1 Max Verstappen
2 Fernando Alonso
3 Lando Norris
4 Charles Leclerc
5 Lewis Hamilton
6 Carlos Sainz
7 Oscar Piastri
8 Alex Albon
9 George Russell
10 Sergio Perez

I think Gasly is actually better than rating implies. I don't really get meaning what the rating represents. There are several possible interpretations. Most likely it is a personal opinion how drivers performed with the equipment available to them. TP opined that the drivers behind Max could do better than they scored in WDC run.

In discussion that car is made for him, Max reportedly denied any such thing. He said, I drive what they give me. Cars are the same for both of us. Sergio initially did well in the same car, so his drop off was for other reasons. Max also claimed, that unless you drive the car, you cannot knowledgeably talk about what is, or isn't possible with it. That view alone would cast any driver ratings into category "dubious" at best, and highly subjective regardless whether you are an outsider or TP. Based on data, TP can evaluate just his drivers. They have no access to other teams internal info.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Yea, I would tend to rank both Gasly and Ocon above Piastri, Albon and Perez, but they appeared to have been ignored. The www.grandprix.com listing has Piastri 9th, Albon 8th, and Russell 7th. I assume the next six (which they have not posted yet) are probably the same as on your list, although maybe not the same order.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Piastri's ceiling is well above Ocon and Gasly IMO. I don't rate them, but equally I am not going with the Piastri hype. On his best day he's on Norris' pace, but over the course of a race he's rarely on Norris' level.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

DoubleFart wrote: 3 months ago Piastri's ceiling is well above Ocon and Gasly IMO. I don't rate them, but equally I am not going with the Piastri hype. On his best day he's on Norris' pace, but over the course of a race he's rarely on Norris' level.
Yep I think the word is over-hyped in terms of Oscar. Good on his day but not enough days.
Good but far from the next Max, Fernando, Lewis etc. I would put Albon higher than Oscar given the car Alex had and the results he managed.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Piastri has Mercedes PU. French drivers, in contrast, have Renault with some significantly lower horsepower. FiA estimated 20 - 33 HP as Otmar Szafnauer revealed.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

BEN SULAYEM: WE’RE HERE FOR SPORT, NOT STOCK THE MARKET PRICE
https://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view ... et_price_/

Eye catching, my soul pleasing headline. Whether one believes what one reads is another thing, but I surely would like to. Fact is, in recent years money people move into the sport coffers in a big way. Hard to say how long his relationship with Liberty (and a few others) will last. The man has also taken a few shots at his predecessor. I am not going to defend Todt, but we should not forget FiA F1 was loaded with MM's people, and Todt had to deal with them. With Whiting's passing, things began to slowly change.

He concludes:
Ben Sulayem: Everything needs to be improved, we are on the right path
Well, we wait.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Problem in paradise?
We want to be compensated for the losses that occurred due to everything F1, the county, and the LVCVA did.”

We don’t need the F1, the F1 needs us,” local business owner Wade Bohn.

Bohn claimed that his 2022 revenue of $8.5 million dropping to $4.2 – $4.3 million was a result of F1’s action in the area, with the disruption preventing his customers from accessing the business easily.

“We believe the county is responsible,” Bohn added. “They’re using taxpayer dollars to bring F1 into town.
https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/01/ ... n-from-f1/

That's what I thought. Some media outlets on the internet already suggested Monaco should be dropped in favour of glorious LV. After the latest noise, I would suggest to wait for a while. We could see already before race, the event was massively disruptive for locals, and they did not liked a bit. (Discussed on You Tube.)
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Venerable racing track Monza is getting € 21MM badly needed upgrade. That's a good news.
AMuS
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Aty wrote: 3 months ago Venerable racing track Monza is getting € 21MM badly needed upgrade. That's a good news.
AMuS
Just saw this myself. As part of the upgrades the chicanes are getting their gravel traps back :twothumbs:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Matt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Brawn BGP 001
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Favourite Circuit: Old Spa

Post by Matt »

DoubleFart wrote: 3 months ago Piastri's ceiling is well above Ocon and Gasly IMO. I don't rate them, but equally I am not going with the Piastri hype. On his best day he's on Norris' pace, but over the course of a race he's rarely on Norris' level.
I think Gasly (and Ocon) are straying dangerously into 'Alguersuari and Buemi' territory, where they are (on the face of it) so evenly-matched as team mates that it's difficult to ascertain how good they are, and how well they are doing with the equipment. Outside of Alpine who have all the data to hand, you really have to go through on a race-by-race basis to get an impression of who you think had the better year and whether that was due to talent or just good luck.

They kind of cancel each other out to a degree, which could hurt their prospects in the sport as it did with Alguersuari and Buemi.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Fight is on:
The engines are made to last around 6,000 kilometres, but by 2024 - when only three engines are used - they should run 7,500 kilometres. The risk of an engine popping and losing precious World Championship points is reportedly considered too great. Therefore, Ferrari's starting point is as good as certain: deploying four engines.
Mercedes and Honda alledgedly want to vote against expansion, and want to stay with 3 PU only.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/255874/f ... -2024.html