F1 2023 stuff not worthy of it's own thread

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

DoubleFart wrote: 4 months ago The car costs $55-60k to buy, and comes with a 7 year warranty on the battery.

That's a load of bollocks, as always.
Hyundai NA responded to this Canadian case.... confirming the list cost of the replacement battery pack for an Ioniq 5 as only CAN $43000 (US $32000) and it would normally be covered under Hyundais' 7 year warranty.
However the replacement of the battery pack in the case quoted was accident damage related (The car ran something over on the road and the battery pack was damaged.)... thus it seems not covered under the new car warranty, hence the item being chargeable..

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

My uncle drove his car through shallow water and it destroyed the entire engine.

I hate to think that'll happen if a pressurised hydrogen fuel cell gets punctured and sparks.

But hey, let's focus on a niche case that could be covered by insurance and spread FUD because it doesn't fit a certain posters position because German manufacturers have shit the bed and missed the boat for new tech.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

DoubleFart wrote: 4 months ago My uncle drove his car through shallow water and it destroyed the entire engine.

I hate to think that'll happen if a pressurised hydrogen fuel cell gets punctured and sparks.

But hey, let's focus on a niche case that could be covered by insurance and spread FUD because it doesn't fit a certain posters position because German manufacturers have shit the bed and missed the boat for new tech.
German auto-industry missing the boat is an interesting way to talk about it. What technology German automakers missed in your opinion?
Europe now is the largest market for new plug-in electric vehicles, overtaking China's first spot.
I gather you haven't seen a Mercedes on the Autobahn at 260 [km/hr] with a driver having hands off the steering wheel.

More about introducing hydrogen for commuters:
By 2030, California officials aim to have 1,000 hydrogen refueling stations open. In addition, Hawaii passed a bill in 2022 that will create a hydrogen refueling system rebate for developers. Any infrastructure that’s built after January 1, 2023, and utilizes renewable hydrogen will be eligible for up to $200k.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

A mercedes driving on the autobahn at level 2 autonomy is nothing special. My car has been doing it for years. Adaptive cruise control and lane control are both very old.

The Germans have been trying to delay and use e-Fuels because even they know their bet on hydrogen was wrong. They're just too far invested and behind the curve and as a result are being forced to keep pushing a sub standard technology in the hope it'll keep them relevant

China is coming, and they know they're fucked, hence the political manoeuvres to add taxes to Chinese imports to protect their failing industry.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Ferrari Charles Leclerc Receiving His New Ferrari 812 Competizione A In Hotel De Paris Monaco

Beasts of this kind are born to run free on Autobahn, or some private speed tracks, but hardly on streets of Monaco. Nice toy. I wonder if he got nice discount.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Carlos is accepting delivery of his first Ferrari. Despite my love for a different brand, I have to admit he bought himself a real beauty.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2023-12-29 07:54 (CET)

Michael Schumacher

It is on this day ten years ago when Michael got injured in a skiing incident. Sheltered in privacy of his home, he is not forgotten in racing world. As his fervours fan from Benetton years to exit from Mercedes. I do remember all, and big thanks for keeping me intrested.

Sincere wishes and hope for your recovery, and better life.
Last edited by Aty 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Aty wrote: 4 months ago D/T 2023-12-29 07:54 (CET)

Michael Schumacher

It is on this day ten years ago when Michael got injured in a skiing incident. Sheltered in privacy of his home, he is not forgotten in racing world. As his fervours fan from Benetton years to exit from Mercedes. I do remember all, and big thanks for keeping me interested.

Just for your interest there is an ongoing thread regarding Schumacher updated chronologically as we knew from the news of his accident.to his status at srious stages of the following years. As you might expect it is many pages of info and updates

It can be found here :viewtopic.php?t=13221

@PTRACER maybe update that thread title from the current "MS 6 yrs on" to reflect now 10 yrs on. :wink: (just sayin'. :smiley:

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 4 months ago
Aty wrote: 4 months ago D/T 2023-12-29 07:54 (CET)

Michael Schumacher

It is on this day ten years ago when Michael got injured in a skiing incident. Sheltered in privacy of his home, he is not forgotten in racing world. As his fervours fan from Benetton years to exit from Mercedes. I do remember all, and big thanks for keeping me interested.

Just for your interest there is an ongoing thread regarding Schumacher updated chronologically as we knew from the news of his accident.to his status at srious stages of the following years. As you might expect it is many pages of info and updates

It can be found here :viewtopic.php?t=13221

@PTRACER maybe update that thread title from the current "MS 6 yrs on" to reflect now 10 yrs on. :wink: (just sayin'. :smiley:
If convenient, please transfer the relevant post to the appropriate thread.
Thank you, and sorry for my oversight.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Gasly remembers: Seb's farewell dinner with drivers only.
“We probably realised we might have a few more friends than we think in that paddock.

“It's a life which is difficult to explain and many times I feel quite uncomfortable about saying the experiences that I get in my life, because you'll sound arrogant.

“That's why I really like the chats that I can have with Charles [Leclerc], because I know with Charles we’re discussing about both of our lives and we won’t judge each other.

We can safely say that the 20 F1 drivers haven’t all sat down to dinner again since Vettel’s exit from the sport.

It remains somewhat of a one-off, a great memory for those in attendance and fitting way to see off a legend.
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1040784/1 ... -f1-dinner

The dinner boys had behind closed doors and opened up to each other in honor of Seb retiring from the sport. It sounds like Sebastian had more friends on the grid than we thought. It's worthwhile recollection of the past. Sounds like they should do it every year-end just to shake off accumulated stress. It's a healing process.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

As this thread is becoming a bit littered with EV discussions maybe we need an EV / alternative fuel thread in off topic with the other more road car related stuff.

IT’S ALL OVER For EVs! All EV Car Makers WANT TO DITCH EVs!
EVs are killing the middle class! EV makers just sent a BRUTAL warning to DITCH EVs and go back to combustion cars. Why? Because they do not want to rip off the middle class anymore! With thousands of EVs lying unsold in dealer lots, the EV hype is finally over. Prices will come crashing down, and you might be in for a big surprise if you were going to buy an EV! But don’t get excited just yet, I’m gonna be exposing fatal flaws with EVs that the political leaders didn’t tell you about!
So it seems say many folk in the US. Must admit I was surprised to hear of the reduction of EV sales there and of the tens of thousands of new unsold EVs being stored / stockpiled despite price cuts and rebates.

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

No, it's not over. There is a problem, but it can be fixed.

In US and Canada prices for cars can be hardly justified. People don't have money, so they keep older cars longer. Then there is insufficient infrastructure to support travel long distances with such car, and not having a plug to recharge. In Germany it is slightly different. Automakers switched in past two years already to electrical hybrids. Pure electrical vehicles are rare, and they are mostly available in the high end.

City car:

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Aty wrote: 3 months ago No, it's not over. There is a problem, but it can be fixed.

In US and Canada prices for cars can be hardly justified. People don't have money, so they keep older cars longer. Then there is insufficient infrastructure to support travel long distances with such car, and not having a plug to recharge. In Germany it is slightly different. Automakers switched in past two years already to electrical hybrids. Pure electrical vehicles are rare, and they are mostly available in the high end.

City car:

Western Europe has a pretty good infrastructure for EV's. I don't know how it is in the Eastern European countries.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

erwin greven wrote: 3 months ago
Aty wrote: 3 months ago No, it's not over. There is a problem, but it can be fixed.

City car:

Western Europe has a pretty good infrastructure for EV's. I don't know how it is in the Eastern European countries.
I don't know it either, but as you surely know, Europe is having relatively reliable public transportation available, and most people don't need a car. With electrical vehicle you would rarely travel long distances without having convenient access to a recharge station.

Some (very happy people) buy this:

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Marko: My work continues: Full scope; races and hours.
Marko now looks forward to attending all 24 rounds of the 2024 season with Red Bull.
https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10103 ... t-rumours/

And that is that. Congratulation to Dr. Marko.

Nice Christmas preset for Helmut.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Ben Sulayem’s mishaps and meddling leave F1 asking if FIA is fit for purpose
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/other/ ... fc7f&ei=18
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/motors ... 1da1&ei=17

One cannot escape feeling that some people would like to get Ben Sulayem out, and their YES man in. Hard to say how long Ben will last. Having said that, I think that FiA could use little scrubbing, but for other reasons than articles is referring to.
Last edited by Aty 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.