Motorsportmemorial.org

Announcements of any new features or alternations to the forum will be posted here. This is the place to submit any problems you have or suggestions on how to improve the forum.
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Thank you for your words.

I forgot to say two important things:
1. I'm omitted from database two named drivers (http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus ... ct&n=10440 & http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus ... =ct&n=9347) because of lack of information regarding their date of death;
2. I'm also found several unconfirmed fatalities and drivers who maybe were killed while racing so I need your help in research that case; my main problem that my searches are limited by web and I don't have access to racing magazines from past; especially French, Spanish and Argentinean. I'll add these possible fatalities later in another list.
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

There might be some photos that I don't have.
Will you mind if I ask you some information about them?

For example: about Paul Warwick: do you have anything else, other than the two photos I found some years ago, and that are in the CPDB?

I read that, about ten years ago, that a website had some photos of the car on fire, but I don't know if that's just a rumour or not.

Also: you have an aftermath photo of a certain Mike Rooke, right?
I don't see it here, so it would be great if you could add it, and, why not, anything we don't have.
Motorsportrace
mattia2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Motogp and WSBK + everythin classic
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 98T
Favourite Driver: Kevin Schwantz
Favourite Circuit: VIR

Post by mattia2 »

Motorsportrace wrote: 5 years ago There might be some photos that I don't have.
Will you mind if I ask you some information about them?

For example: about Paul Warwick: do you have anything else, other than the two photos I found some years ago, and that are in the CPDB?

I read that, about ten years ago, that a website had some photos of the car on fire, but I don't know if that's just a rumour or not.

Also: you have an aftermath photo of a certain Mike Rooke, right?
I don't see it here, so it would be great if you could add it, and, why not, anything we don't have.
For what i can remember, someone on this forum said that once he even saw a video, shot from behind the corner of the crash. Never seen such footage though.
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

Warwick crash is exactly the same that in CPDB, maybe it's better to transfer it to "Aftermath" category.

There's actually aftermath video of Mike Rooke's crash; I'm accidentally located to wrong category. I will add YouTube link to it in corresponding thread of crash videos.

In case of some fatal photos/videos which are not added, it's usually for drivers who didn't had MM.org pages, but I'll try to add it at the weekend. Maybe I'll start with Aleksandr Bogomol, but it took some time to translate part of video with his fatal crash.

Small update: on thread about fatal crash of Sean Edwards I found in one comment that photos of Rooke's wreck are exist.

http://www.performanceforums.com/forums ... lity/page3, comment by Dave75
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

Sedre wrote: 5 years ago Warwick crash is exactly the same that in CPDB, maybe it's better to transfer it to "Aftermath" category.

There's actually aftermath video of Mike Rooke's crash; I'm accidentally located to wrong category. I will add YouTube link to it in corresponding thread of crash videos.

In case of some fatal photos/videos which are not added, it's usually for drivers who didn't had MM.org pages, but I'll try to add it at the weekend. Maybe I'll start with Aleksandr Bogomol, but it took some time to translate part of video with his fatal crash.

Small update: on thread about fatal crash of Sean Edwards I found in one comment that photos of Rooke's wreck are exist.

Ok, thanks for that.

Some other questions:

- Louis Rosier: the "confirmed" photos are the screenshots taken from the aftermath video, right?
- About Bill Spence, who died at Indianapolis in 1929: the "confirmed" photos are the screenshots from the video?
- Carl Scarborough: he actually died of heat exhaustion, and he can be seen, in a video, parking in the pits and getting out of his car.

Thanks.
Last edited by Motorsportrace 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Motorsportrace
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

Motorsportrace wrote: 5 years ago
Sedre wrote: 5 years ago Warwick crash is exactly the same that in CPDB, maybe it's better to transfer it to "Aftermath" category.

Ok, thanks for that.

Some other questions:

- Louis Rosier: the "confirmed" photos are the screenshots taken from the aftermath video, right?
- About Bill Spence, who died at Indianapolis in 1929: the "confirmed" photos are the screenshots from the video?
- Carl Scarborough: he actually died of heat exhaustion, and he can be seen, in a video, parking in the pits and getting out of his car.

Thanks.
About Rosier and Spence - yes, these pictures from CPDB and they were from videos. I'm was a bit late then point which pictures and videos were found so I'm afraid that there's more things like that. I'll mark as "Confirmed" all pictures from CPBD tomorrow and will do much complete revision of videos.

I've never seen video of Scarborough's retire before, so it would be great if you send me link to it.
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

Sedre wrote: 5 years ago About Rosier and Spence - yes, these pictures from CPDB and they were from videos. I'm was a bit late then point which pictures and videos were found so I'm afraid that there's more things like that. I'll mark as "Confirmed" all pictures from CPBD tomorrow and will do much complete revision of videos.

I've never seen video of Scarborough's retire before, so it would be great if you send me link to it.
Ok, thanks for the information.

Another question:
- Bob Anderson: you wrote "unlikely", and I agree with that. I read some time ago that the car went to an engineering company, to understand what happened with it. The only ones that might have something, are the "old" employees of that engineering company. Finding out its name is almost impossible, let alone knowing if someone has a photo of the car.

And here's Scarborough's video.
At 3:35 you can see him parking the car, and getting out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF40IHu216A
Motorsportrace
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

About Anderson - I searched a lot about him as he's only official F1 fatality without any wreck picture but all clues let me think that's really unlike that picture of his fatal crash is exist.

By official I mean that he died during tests for official event (Canadian Grand Prix, if I'm correct). Of course that's Harry Schell and Shane Summers, whose fatal crashed I'm also haven't seen yet. Picture of Schell before his crash is exist, so it's possible that image of fatal crash is also exist. There's a not much is known about Summers, but I'll try to search it later.

To "unlikely" category I'll add several fatalities of Soviet era, that happened during local (non-Soviet regional championship) fatalities: Lebedev, Skobelev, Starostenko, Ledovskoy, Johvik and etc, as well as rally drivers (Samushia, Molinboim, Gindin) - due to heavy Soviet censorship it's unlikely that photos of fatalities are exist in old magazines; they still can exist in some private collections of people who were right at place of accident and took pictures but I'm not sure about it.
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

First update to my database after yesterday's release:

1. Added new entries:
Jack Winogura (*20.02.1922 †29.04.1938)
Taavi Jõhvik (*13.10.1936 †08.09.1978)
Elindo Ugolini (†01.04.1928)
Clyde Goss Jr (*31.05.1913 †20.08.1941)
Enos Bello (*06.01.1891 †02.07.1922)
Erwin Williams (*31.12.1944 †11.08.1973)
Ken Holden (*13.11.1944 †06.06.1971)
Bob Dawson (*14.08.1925 †05.08.1951)
Thurman Wimberly (*27.04.1906 †09.09.1934)
Ed Garner (*01.05.1931 †03.07.1960)
Ray Richeson (*29.03.1937 †25.08.1959, no MM.org entry)
Jorge Vargas (†06.12.1998, no MM.org entry)
Giles Arrott (*26.10.1913 †30.03.1941)
Herbert Borchers (*13.07.1929 †26.11.1953)
John Franceschini (†09.09.1957, no MM.org entry)
Antonio Verna (†??.??.1971)
Les Slaughter (*15.04.1915 †28.07.1956) & Bill Mayes (†28.07.1956)
Alex Ranholm (*xx.xx.1906 †05.07.1937)
Michele Sciretta (*30.06.1959 †28.07.2002)
Dan Francis (†02.10.1915)

2. Photos/videos
Transferred Paul Warwick to "Aftermath" category
Added Carl Scarborough to "Confirmed" video
Corrected Mike Rooke from photo to video
Thanks to @Motorsportrace for corrections

3. Updating information
From MM.org
Corrected event type for Paco Puget and Elvy Garay
Added full middle name and place of birth to Floyd Yaeger
Added full name, date of birth, age and place of birth to Dearld Snider
Added full name, date of birth and place of birth to Lou Cangelose
Added state of birth to Jeff Osborn

Own research:
Added full names, year of birth, date of accident and death to Steve Turner and Leigh Rilstone
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

Sedre wrote: 5 years ago About Anderson - I searched a lot about him as he's only official F1 fatality without any wreck picture but all clues let me think that's really unlike that picture of his fatal crash is exist.

By official I mean that he died during tests for official event (Canadian Grand Prix, if I'm correct). Of course that's Harry Schell and Shane Summers, whose fatal crashed I'm also haven't seen yet. Picture of Schell before his crash is exist, so it's possible that image of fatal crash is also exist. There's a not much is known about Summers, but I'll try to search it later.

To "unlikely" category I'll add several fatalities of Soviet era, that happened during local (non-Soviet regional championship) fatalities: Lebedev, Skobelev, Starostenko, Ledovskoy, Johvik and etc, as well as rally drivers (Samushia, Molinboim, Gindin) - due to heavy Soviet censorship it's unlikely that photos of fatalities are exist in old magazines; they still can exist in some private collections of people who were right at place of accident and took pictures but I'm not sure about it.
Yes, I couldn't find anything about Shane Summers' crash, maybe just a small article about it.

About Harry Schell, Pressassociation confirmed that photos of his crash exist, but are not available to the public:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=15480&p=334726#p334726
If you know a hacker that can do the job... :mrgreen:
Motorsportrace
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

Currently making revision of video, but almost everything is already linked in CPDB. Videos without that links including Emma Wilkinson (both British and Russian coverage), Evgeniy Kern and Ingo Koschmieder. After I finish that work I'll search forums to make sure if videos were already posted here.

If video is just slide show of images of fatal crash I didn't add it to my list.

And I also started to listing unconfirmed fatalities, which is made from Autoanddrive files (they made alphabetical lists of deceased drivers up to letter "G" and despite they had several errors, it's a big loss that they stopped) and list from Pilotos Muertos website.
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

Update from yesterday:

1. New entries
Richard Louda (*19.10.1928 †01.09.1957)
Ian Johnston (†20.04.1996)
Dwight Shepard (*27.07.1940 †05.05.1989, no MM entry)
Harold Leave (*??.??.1903 †10.11.1946, photo of wreck is published in corresponding thread)
Orville Hendricks (*31.08.1915 †18.08.1946)
Félix Almarza (†16.09.1951)
Wilbert Chaney (*10.10.1899 †28.07.1929)
Mike Doub (*21.05.1949 †14.09.1975, no MM entry)
Harl Prior (*07.06.1941 †27.06.1966)
John Serpa (*31.01.1962 †13.09.2009, no MM entry)
Vincenzo Zaffino (†19.09.1982)
Kenneth Smith (†03.03.2007)
Rodolfo Catalán (†03.04.1955)
Alfredo Galli (†09.03.1929)
Alex Drust (*??.??.1955 †??.03.1975)
Jack Bell (†??.03.1996, no MM entry)
Dave Peterson (*22.09.1942 †03.04.1977)
Krzysztof Krajewski (†25.07.1971)
Eric Poret (*30.10.1962 †26.04.2003)
Karl-Heinz Deusch (*06.02.1942 †07.07.2002)

2. New additions to list:
Fred Timms - found by MM.org
Gus Bray - own research

3. Revision of videos up to 1948 - add "confirmed" to those who had link in CPDB
Also confirmed footages of:
Emma Wilkinson
Evgeniy Kern
Ingo Koschmieder
Andre Haller

4. Added list of unconfirmed and presumed fatalities; will be grateful if someone could help with finding details regarding deaths of listed drivers and co-drivers.
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

About Henri Degioanni:
https://issuu.com/kulte/docs/kultorama-n13-yak-light/59

Here is an article about his nephew, whose name is Maurice Louche.
Maybe he's on some social networks, and could be asked about his uncle's death.

This could be his website:
http://www.editionsmauricelouche.com/

There's an e-mail address there, as well as a telephone number.
Maybe they could be useful.
Motorsportrace
Motorsportrace
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Post by Motorsportrace »

About Francis Gallardo: in the INA archives I've found a small TV report about his death.

They don't show images of the accident (just archive images of him during the Rallye Côte d'Ivoire).
They say he was the victim of an accident in Dordogne, and he died in the Périgueux Hospital.
They also mention a circuit, but I can't understand which one (it must have been in the Dordogne region).
Maybe it was a private testing accident?

The TV report was broadcasted on 28/03/1984, and they say "hier soir" (yesterday evening), so it happened in the evening of 27/03/1984.

I have the audio snippet, if you want it.

Maybe a French speaker can help us.
Motorsportrace
Sedre
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sedre »

Motorsportrace wrote: 5 years ago About Francis Gallardo: in the INA archives I've found a small TV report about his death.

They don't show images of the accident (just archive images of him during the Rallye Côte d'Ivoire).
They say he was the victim of an accident in Dordogne, and he died in the Périgueux Hospital.
They also mention a circuit, but I can't understand which one (it must have been in the Dordogne region).

The TV report was broadcasted on 28/03/1984, and they say "hier soir" (yesterday evening), so it happened in the evening of 27/03/1984.

Yes please, maybe I'll ask my university friend who knows French to translate it.
hollie3sa

Post by hollie3sa »

Motorsportrace wrote: 5 years ago About Francis Gallardo: in the INA archives I've found a small TV report about his death.

I'd like to give it a try, please.