Remembering the fallen

Current motorcycle racing related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Isle of Man TT confirms death of Olivier Lavorel from 2022 event, 4 months on.

From the news back in June:
Cheeveer wrote: 1 year ago
Vassago wrote: 1 year ago It was actually Cesar Chanal, not Olivier Lavorel who died in the sidecar crash. A complete & utter shambles from Isle of Man. They needed four days to even establish which of them died?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/61733290
Full statement:
"injuries that would not support life" implies what the identification issue is all about. Horrific, all of this. Wish the families well.

Update: Olivier Lavorel Deceased .... confirmed 25th October 2022 RIP

Sad to report that, some 4 months on Olivier Lavorel has now also succumbed to injuries received in the accident on June 4th that took his compatriot César Chanal

As previously mentioned Lavorel had originally been identified as the deceased following that tragic incident, although it was later corrected that his driver, Cesar Chanal, was the fatality.

An inquest would find that the mix-up occurred because each had the other’s identification tag on their person, for reasons unknown, and both were too badly injured to be identified from photographs.

Statement from Isle of Man TT
The Isle of Man TT Races is deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Sidecar competitor, Olivier Lavorel, from Sillingy, France.

Olivier sustained serious injuries in an incident during the opening lap of the first Sidecar Race of the 2022 Isle of Man TT Races on the Saturday 4th June. The accident occurred at Ago’s Leap, just under 1 mile into the Course, and also claimed the life of Olivier’s team mate, César Chanal.

Olivier was airlifted to hospital in Liverpool before being transferred to a hospital in France in late June where his treatment continued.

Both Olivier and César were newcomers to the Isle of Man TT Races in 2022 but were an experienced pairing, taking numerous victories and podiums in the French F1 and F2 National Sidecar Championships.

Everyone at the Isle of Man TT Races passes on their deepest sympathy to Olivier’s family, friends and loved ones at this tragic time.
RIP Olivier Lavorel,. :rip:

It means the number of competitors to have died as a result of crashes at the 2022 IoMTT now stands at six, making it the deadliest TT since 1970.

As well as the French sidecar pairing of César Chanal and now, Olivier Lavorel father-and-son sidecar pairing Roger and Bradley Stockton, from Crewe, died in a crash at the same spot during the second sidecar race. Northern Ireland's Davy Morgan also sustained fatal injuries in the first Supersport race and Welsh rider Mark Purslow was killed in qualifying.

RIP Roger and Bradley Stockton, Davy Morgan, Mark Purslow plus of course César Chanal and Olivier Lavorel

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Damn.

RIP... again :down:.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
julif
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1, Nascar, INDYCAR, Le Mans, Rally
Favourite Driver: Helio
Favourite Circuit: Indianapolis

Post by julif »

RIP :(
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago Isle of Man TT confirms death of Olivier Lavorel from 2022 event, 4 months on.

From the news back in June:
Cheeveer wrote: 1 year ago
Vassago wrote: 1 year ago It was actually Cesar Chanal, not Olivier Lavorel who died in the sidecar crash. A complete & utter shambles from Isle of Man. They needed four days to even establish which of them died?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/motorsport/61733290
Full statement:
"injuries that would not support life" implies what the identification issue is all about. Horrific, all of this. Wish the families well.
Update: Olivier Lavorel Deceased .... confirmed 25th October 2022 RIP

Sad to report that, some 4 months on Olivier Lavorel has now also succumbed to injuries received in the accident on June 4th that took his compatriot César Chanal

As previously mentioned Lavorel had originally been identified as the deceased following that tragic incident, although it was later corrected that his driver, Cesar Chanal, was the fatality.

An inquest would find that the mix-up occurred because each had the other’s identification tag on their person, for reasons unknown, and both were too badly injured to be identified from photographs.

Statement from Isle of Man TT
The Isle of Man TT Races is deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Sidecar competitor, Olivier Lavorel, from Sillingy, France.

Olivier sustained serious injuries in an incident during the opening lap of the first Sidecar Race of the 2022 Isle of Man TT Races on the Saturday 4th June. The accident occurred at Ago’s Leap, just under 1 mile into the Course, and also claimed the life of Olivier’s team mate, César Chanal.

Olivier was airlifted to hospital in Liverpool before being transferred to a hospital in France in late June where his treatment continued.

Both Olivier and César were newcomers to the Isle of Man TT Races in 2022 but were an experienced pairing, taking numerous victories and podiums in the French F1 and F2 National Sidecar Championships.

Everyone at the Isle of Man TT Races passes on their deepest sympathy to Olivier’s family, friends and loved ones at this tragic time.
RIP Olivier Lavorel,. :rip:

It means the number of competitors to have died as a result of crashes at the 2022 IoMTT now stands at six, making it the deadliest TT since 1970.

As well as the French sidecar pairing of César Chanal and now, Olivier Lavorel father-and-son sidecar pairing Roger and Bradley Stockton, from Crewe, died in a crash at the same spot during the second sidecar race. Northern Ireland's Davy Morgan also sustained fatal injuries in the first Supersport race and Welsh rider Mark Purslow was killed in qualifying.

RIP Roger and Bradley Stockton, Davy Morgan, Mark Purslow plus of course César Chanal and Olivier Lavorel

Ago's Leap, maybe 150 yards (if that) from the bottom of Bray Hill.
Rip Roger, Bradley, Cesar and Olivier
(my pic past Cesar & Oliviers) ... dead same spot for Roger and Bradley later the week.
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Sad to report that we have now had the first fatality in this years IOM TT event confirmed.

Spanish rider Raul Torras Martinez dies in Supertwin race

Isle of Man TT organisers have announced that Spanish racer Raul Torras Martinez died following an incident in Tuesday evening’s Supertwin race.
A statement from the organisers read: “With great sadness, the Isle of Man TT Races can confirm that Raul Torras Martinez, 46, from Sant Hilari Sacalm, Spain, was killed in an accident during the first Supertwin Race of the 2023 Isle of Man TT Races.

“The accident occurred at Alpine, between the 16th and 17th mile markers, on the third and final lap of the race.

“Raul was an experienced TT competitor who made his debut in 2017, with a best result of 15th in last year’s Supertwin race.

“He recorded his fastest ever lap of the TT Mountain Course earlier today in the Superstock Race, with a lap at an average speed of 125.470mph whilst securing a 20th-place finish.

“Raul was the fastest Spaniard ever to have lapped the TT Course.

"In total, Raul competed in 21 TT races and his performances earned him a total of 18 Bronze Replicas.

“The Isle of Man TT Races pass on their deepest sympathy to Raul’s family, friends, and loved ones.”

https://iom-tt-races.s3.eu-west-1.amazo ... TEMENT.pdf

Torras is so far the only rider to have lost their life at the TT this year.

Fellow Spaniard and 2020 MotoGP world champion Joan Mir tweeted: "RIP Raul. All my support and condolences to his family and friends."

RIP.Raul Torras Martinez
September 5, 1976 - June 6, 2023
An incredibly popular member of the paddock family, Raul’s smile was infectious and his love for the TT and the sport of road racing was apparent to anyone who was fortunate enough to meet him.

Raul was competing in his fifth TT and had posted his fastest ever lap of the Mountain Course earlier today, passing a racing landmark by lapping at an average speed of over 125mph and securing a 20th-place finish in the Superstock Race.

When asked what his ambitions in road racing were, he has said “to have fun with the bike, and to be able to fight for a top-20 finish at the TT in a 1000cc class”. On his journey to reaching and achieving his racing ambition, he became the fastest Spaniard ever to have raced around the TT Mountain Course.

Away from the TT, Raul was regular competitor at the North West 200 and had also competed at the Ulster Grand Prix and the Macau Grand Prix.

Racing was Raul’s life and the loss of such a passionate and spirited gentleman will be felt deeply by the entire TT community.
https://www.iomttraces.com/latest/news/ ... -martinez/

Manfred Cubenoggin
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Manfred Cubenoggin »

Saddened to report that a rider was killed at Shannonville yesterday. No news on identity of the rider as yet.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/m ... -1.6873078

RIP
Miles to go B4 I sleep
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

PTRACER wrote: 7 months ago It seems two riders were killed in qualifying for the Manx Grand Prix

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/tt-road-races/2023/august/gary-vines-dies/

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport/tt-road-races/2023/august/ian-bainbridge-dies/
Gary has been killed at Ballagarey, a notorious right hander which can cause sight troubles with a setting sun in evening practice.

Ian got killed a few yards out of Kirk Michael. Rhencullen or Birkins' Bends l, a truly notorious spot
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Posted in the General section as I forgot we had a specific motorcycle thread for this sad subject.
Anthony Gobert should be remembered in this thread.
A sad start to 2024 for Sporting personalities.
Sad also the manner and circumstance of his passing. A real coulda shoulda woulda talent . And at such a young age.

Anthony Gobert: 1975-2024

JANUARY 17TH 2024

'The Go Show' was more talented than Schwantz and Spencer and a “genuinely nice kid” but he was unable to defeat his addictions

Gobert awaits one of his final GP rides, at Phillip Island in 1999. He had recently been sacked by US Superbike team Vance & Hines for failing a drugs test

Mat Oxleys remembers Anthony Gobert

AUTHOR
Mat Oxley
Former Superbike and 500cc grand prix rider Anthony Gobert passed away today, following illnesses brought on by his addiction to alcohol and other drugs.

During his racing career Gobert shone brightly, brighter than just about any other rider of the last few decades, Valentino Rossi excepted. Like Rossi he had a rock-star persona and knew how to entertain beyond his racetrack performances. He was a hell of a lot of fun and he liked to get people excited. Fans adored him for that – hence his nickname ‘The Go Show’.

The 48-year-old Australian was perhaps the Shane McGowan of motorcycle racing – immensely gifted at what he did, great to be with, but ultimately doomed to lose his struggles with addiction.

Gobert was a teenage motocross sensation in Australia, winning more than a dozen national junior championships and several senior Supercross titles. When he moved into roadracing he was quickly signed by Honda Australia’s superbike team at the age of 17.

Gobert won six World Superbike races for Kawasaki between 1994 and 1996

The rest of the world got to hear of Goey during the 1994 Australian World Superbike round when he quit Honda on the eve on the event, moved to Kawasaki, took pole position and scored his first WSB victory. Two WSB seasons with the factory Kawasaki team followed, with five more wins, then he signed with Suzuki’s 500cc GP team for 1997.

His Suzuki crew chief was Stuart Shenton, who had previously worked with MotoGP/500cc world champions Freddie Spencer, Wayne Gardner and Kevin Schwantz. Shenton rated Gobert the most talented of them all.

“The guy with the most natural talent was Gobert, but he didn’t realise what he had and he wasn’t able to apply it,” Shenton says.

“He was one of these guys who you get every now and then, ‘Don’t change anything on the bike, I’ll just ride it’. By then we had data.

“We saw the most incredible brake temperatures with him and when he came in we’d see that he was so hard on the brakes that the suspension was bottomed out and he was just hanging onto it. So we said we could put stronger springs in there or more oil – ‘Nah mate, don’t change anything’.

“If he had been able to apply himself and turn up every weekend, fit and healthy, with the right sort of focus, he would’ve absolutely been something.

“I always knew it was going to be an interesting relationship. I hadn’t met him but [team manager] Garry Taylor and [Suzuki race boss] Mistuo Itoh went to Australia to sign him. On his way to signing the contract he wrote off his brand-new $250,000 Porsche by jumping a red light and it hadn’t fazed him in the slightest.”

Shenton met Gobert for the first time following the 1996 season-ending Australian GP at Eastern Creek.

“We were packing up and a scruffy urchin with a few mates in tow was hanging around the back of the garage. Then one of them says to me: ‘G’day Stuart, I’m your new rider, I hope you’re f**king ready for me!’ And that was Anthony Gobert.

“At our first test with him at Eastern Creek we were doing his first debrief, with all the Japanese engineers sitting there, pens hovering, waiting to take notes and get his first impression of the bike. And he says, ‘Well, I need two things: I need a cage in the back of the garage with a dancing girl in it and we’ve got to get some beers in the fridge’.

Gobert at the ’97 Italian GP

“Then he gets up and walks out. There were six Japanese engineers sitting around the table and they didn’t know what to do, what to say or what had just happened. With his talent, he should’ve been world champion, but it was never going to happen.”

Gobert’s career was punctuated by tales of high jinks, which mostly seemed like good fun at the time, but his love of the high life was already taking control.

“Gobert turned up with a bag full of someone else’s urine, Withnail and I style”
Five-time GP winner Garry McCoy was friends with Goey when they raced 250cc production bikes in Australia and even then he was a wild child.

“It was always a bit difficult to hang onto Goey’s rope,” remembers McCoy.

When Gobert joined Suzuki, the team obviously wanted to get him clean. During 1997 pre-season testing the Lucky Strike-backed outfit had him tested him for marijuana. Gobert turned up for the test hiding a Ziploc bag full of someone else’s urine, Withnail and I style. When his urine was tested, he failed the test.

“I wanted to fire him then, but the factory told me it was my job to sort him out,” says Taylor. “I kept saying there are better people than I to sort out people with drugs problems, so we put him on lockdown and took his passport.”

Taylor knew the Jaguar Formula 1 team, which had self-proclaimed psychic Uri Geller mentoring its drivers, so Taylor arranged a session for Gobert, accompanied by former GP rider Stu Avant, whom Taylor had hired as Gobert’s minder.

“We went to Uri’s house and he told Anthony what you can do with your mind,” remembers Avant. “Uri made a spoon bend in Anthony’s hand from four metres away! It was spooky what he could do. Then they went into a room where Uri talked with him about getting his life together. As we were leaving, I said to Anthony, ‘F***ing hell’, and Anthony said, ‘What a tosser!’”

Gobert showed some promise aboard Suzuki’s RGV500, scoring five top-ten results in his rookie season. However, he failed more drug tests requested by Suzuki.

Anthony Gobert 1997 Italian GP
Gobert showed some promise during his rookie 500cc GP season with Suzuki but was already getting into trouble

“We had a tobacco company as a sponsor and they were very antsy about being associated with anyone doing drugs,” adds Taylor, aware of the irony.

“Anthony wouldn’t have been very helpful when we tried to renew our contract with Lucky Strike, so we parted ways.

“We really wanted to make it work with him – his crew could see the guy was something special and when you spoke with him he was a genuinely nice kid. It was just a huge waste of talent.”

Gobert was signed by Vance & Hines Ducati to contest the US Superbike championship. He had some good rides, including another WSB victory, at Laguna Seca.

“When Anthony came to the US he needed a place to stay,” recalls his Vance & Hines team-mate Ben Bostrom. “So I said, ‘Dude, come stay with us and hang out’. We’d go to the gym, then he’d go hit the bar, and I’d be going, ‘Dude, I can’t hit the bar every night’. It was just too much, so he moved out. For sure, this is a wild man!”

Gobert failed more drugs tests, which lost him the Vance & Hines ride. He had brief stints with Team Roberts and MuZ in 500 GPs, Virgin Yamaha in BSB and Bimota in WSB, which gave him his last WSB win, at a wet Phillip Island.

More American rides followed, with Yamaha USA, Austin Ducati and Erion Honda, then back to Australia, back to Europe to contest the Spanish championships and finally back home with a privateer superbike team.

And that was the end of Gobert’s racing career. Without racing’s adrenaline fix his life spiraled downwards. In 2008 he was arrested on two counts of robbery in Surfers Paradise. In 2019 he was beaten half to death by a gang wielding baseball bats.

Motor Sport offers its condolences to Anthony’s family, friends and loved ones.
.https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... 1975-2024/

RIP Anthony Gobert

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

A very sad tale :(. RIP, and hopefully be in a better place with yourself.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Reports that a 21 year old has died at Hockenheim in a 1000km moto race. That's no age.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DoubleFart wrote: 3 weeks ago Reports that a 21 year old has died at Hockenheim in a 1000km moto race. That's no age.
Terrible news indeed....

Troy Beinlich has tragically died aged just 21 after a fatal crash in his native Germany.

Beinlich was competing in the Racefoxx 1,000km endurance race, the first of the Deutscher Langstrecken Cup, on Saturday (March 30) when he fell from his bike. Two riders behind couldn't avoid him and he died at the scene as a result of his injuries.

The incident occurred at lthe Hockenheimring circuit, It brought about the immediate end of the race, with the rest of the weekend cancelled too.
An investigation has begun, with the Mannheim traffic service said to be reconstructing the fall with the help of experts. An official statement from the race organisers read: "Unfortunately a serious accident occurred during the race.

"Despite all the efforts of the emergency services and the circuit safety personnel, help arrived too late for our fellow driver. We are stunned and infinitely sad that our sport has shown its ugly side.

Tributes poured in from the racing community for Pößneck-born Beinlich, including from his local club MSC Schleizer. They posted on Facebook: "Troy, wherever you look down on us now - you will always be a part of our club, the Schleizer triangle and our racing family."

Other Social media accounts wrote: "All our thoughts are with the family and friends of Troy Beinlich, IDM Supersport driver, who lost his life at Hockenheim yesterday. He was only 21."

"Rest peacefully Troy Beinlich," commented a fan, while super7moto.com added: "We wish the Beinlich family and all their other loved ones a lot of strength."
Beinlich grew up racing and joined the IDM Supersport 600 category only last year, forming the Beinlich Racing Team with his older brother Christoph, 28.

It's the second fatal accident at the Hockenheimring ring in the last 18 months. Another German, Leon Langstädtler, also lost his life there in September 2022.

RIP Troy Beinlich. :rip: :tearful: