The weird and wonderful world of Lewis Hamilton

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago And whilst apparently multiple sources suggest around 43% of UK electricity is from fossil fuel sources, if true, it aint that green really.
And yet in windy times we could be producing way more than 100% energy from the seas, and converting the excess to hydrogen or synthetic fuels

We have a massive wind resource and aren't really exploiting it
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago Ah, another person who has to drive 300 miles all the time, but never stops to go to the toilet, or get a meal during the drive.

Heard it all before. You're not going to change your opinion, even though diesel isn't cheaper per mile, so considering you're just repeating fallacies, we're done here.
I'm sure you've heard it before, because it's true. I don't have time to find charging points or hang around. Or want to pay the inflated costs for them. I want to go for a piss and carry on, not wait for an hour

This will wind you up, I think EVs could be betamax anyway. Seems more sensible to use hydrogen and synth fuel in ICEs anyway. EVs may never have a heyday and take a larger marker share than the ICE, or if they do it could be brief
Last edited by White six 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Michael Ferner wrote: 1 year ago
White six wrote: 1 year agoBoris gone very soon now...
Dream on. You're never going to get rid of that one, he's just immune to decency and decorum.
Keep watching...
Starling
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Monza, Montecarlo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Nissan Micra (vintage in 3 yrs)

Post by Starling »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago
XcraigX wrote: 1 year ago
Starling wrote: 1 year ago Thanks! Are you from Brazil? Serious question, no sarcasm. Since I'm not from Brazil, but I love the culture and the language (even though it might be Klingon or Dothraki to me), I'm really curious about how Piquet's words sounded for the actual Brazilian culture. I believe that white-skinned, golden-eyed Piquet - just like reddish-haired, freckled Senna - were not representative of Brazil's rich multicultural heritage.So I would like to hear from a Brazilian whether "neguinho" is offensive.
I'm not from Brazil (I'm from the US). My company had a factory there and I spent some time with several Brazillians. They described the strata of classes and skin tones in great detail (perhaps my own skin tone made them more comfortable to talk to me about it). It was very interesting to say the least because some of the deep issues are rooted in their culture (rather than creation of laws that were eventually overturned here in the US). Alot of progress has been made, but it's a bit like the Caste system in India. It's hard to change Caste regardless of your successes. People in the upper Castes are often trying to push down the others.
What Piquet said not outright racist exactly, but there are connotations of that so that you would not want to call someone that in public. Just like your examples we all have names for our friends that would be considered offensive to people who we don't know. What Piquet said is on that order. But there is a reason he used it during an interview (as opposed to someone overhearing a private conversation). Context is important here. If this were a story about him speaking to his friend and another person overheard it, I would buy in to Piquets own explanation. But it's not, is it...
Piquet has a long history of throwing stones and trying to hide his hands (Senna gay rummors, as an example).
I think of particular relevance in relation to the fact of whether neguinho is offensive is that it to me appears to e used perhaps more in terms of a close friend where it is seen as aa term of endearment whereas to someone you do not know well it is a word with different more sinister undertones.

How do I think that? Personally I am not a racist.... I grew up in Africa as many know. I lived with people of colour. I dont agree with some of their cultural habits, some of their food choices, but I have zeri issue with their colour.. Im going back to days when you could collect gollywog labels on jam jar for an enamel golliwog brooch. When one of the more popular entertainment acts involved white people blacking up and singing 'black' songs. (The Black and White Minstrels).

One of my best friends was black. He would call me Honky, or white trash on a daily basis. I would call him the 'n' word. We laughed about it. We both knew we were not using it as more than a joke that we both appreciated. To us at the time it was funny We both never even considered that in the context we used it might be offensive at that time. Offending each other was absolutely the last thing on our minds.

A few years later the world was different. No Black and White Minstrels, no collecting golliwogs. We were not even allowed to say gollywog. We certainly stopped referring to each other in the manner we had. Would I use the word in these climes of today. Absolutely Not, not in any circumstance. I now know better.

It was / is no longer appropriate. In any way. In the same way as sexist comedy such as Benny Hill is no longer appropriate.

So I am saying that Neguinho is a word perhaps used amongst friends endearingly, but to someone you dont know well it is an insult. Nelson is travelled and worldly enough to know it is, in the manner and context he used it, an insult.

Lets not forget, the word has a horrendous history in Brazil.... the diminuitive of nego and negro. It has roots in the slave trade which peaked in Brazil during the 19th century, although tBrazil had been party to the trade long before.

White slave owners would use such terms to describe black slaves brought to Brazil from African countries such as Angola and Mozambique.

From https://www.thefocus.news/

An interesting article....
A term of endearment or relic of Brazil’s brutal past?
There has been much speculation over the use of the term ‘neguinho’ in Brazil in light of Nelson Piquet’s comments. Piquet himself, states that it is inoffensive and used colloquially in Brazil. Others (in Brazil) disagree.

Aline Ramos, writing in Black Brazil Today, speaks about the conflicting meanings of the term. Ramos states that context and delivery are crucial in the intended meaning of the term. She explains that she has been attacked using the slur before, but also that her mother has used it as a term of endearment.

Some Brazilian musicians and artists, such as Neguinho da Beija Flor, have attempted to reclaim the word, using it as a stage name. But the consensus is that the term is still largely regarded as offensive in Brazilian culture.
Thanks Chris for more context about the word "neguinho". If it's related to the slave trade, I realize how it could be more offensive than "Olandesino."

Still HAM is a crybaby. :rofl:
Nada pode me separar do amor de Deus.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

White six wrote: 1 year ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 year ago And whilst apparently multiple sources suggest around 43% of UK electricity is from fossil fuel sources, if true, it aint that green really.
And yet in windy times we could be producing way more than 100% energy from the seas, and converting the excess to hydrogen or synthetic fuels

I had massive wind yesterday as well..... just sayin. :whistling:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

I had massive wind yesterday as well..... just sayin. :whistling:
Scientists are looking into it
Starling
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Monza, Montecarlo
Car(s) Currently Owned: Nissan Micra (vintage in 3 yrs)

Post by Starling »

Interesting that in a thread about Hamilton we've come to talk about the emission of a large quantity of wind...
Nada pode me separar do amor de Deus.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Was just looking for farts. Diesel costing me 13.55p per mile. Only around double the electricity price. 65mpg

But that car purchase has only cost me 7p per mile so far and falling. cheap and cheerful. Combined 20.55p per mile, and that's with these huge fuel prices.

Say I spent 23k on a small EV, and assuming 7p per mile electric bill, the EV would have to go 170,000 miles before it matches the price of my diesel.

Not such a simple calculation is it @DoubleFart

Yeah, you can charge a little cheaper overnight, but that wouldn't always be possible for my work. I'd need to use expensive charging points, adding in a large amount of inconvenience

Plus more in insurance and tyres, which are either more expensive on ev, or wear faster

My range when filling up today had been 677.5 miles. Convenient as fuck when you drive 30000 a year
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

Where is all of the energy going to come from for hydrogen then? Where are we going to store it all?

EV allows us to store energy on our driveway. It uses 3x less energy than hydrogen because you're not taking electric, converting it to hydrogen, then converting it back to electricity again. How pointless?

Hydrogen doesn't allow us to store it locally, we'd need a hell of a lot of physical space for storage, not that we have enough energy to meet the demand.

You can't beat physics.

Also, well done on using the history of your car to prove a point about the technology of what your next car should be. I'm sure I don't need to explain how stupid that is as a piece of evidence.

Mod: Edited
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago Where is all of the energy going to come from for hydrogen then? Where are we going to store it all?
What the experts say doesnt work to every individual's benefit.

I guess what we are realising is both hydrogen atomotive fuel use and electricity for EVs both use fossil fuels as a major source of the energy required to produce. :idunno:

Interested to read in the car dealer magaazine that 7 of the top 10 cars on UK roads that depreciate the least are full ICE..... only 2 EVs in the list, , the other being a hybrid.
The Porsche Taycan 4S 79kWh is the least depreciating EV, 5th overall on the list retaining 60.9% of value at 36000 miles.

The Tesla long range 3 is 9th on 58% retained value, with the Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid 10th on 57.6%

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago Where is all of the energy going to come from for hydrogen then? Where are we going to store it all?
There's a different opinion, and there is digging a hole to be filled full of contradictions and false information. I don't have the patience for somebody who is so set in their ways that they refuse to accept anything but "EvS aRe BaD", and clearly don't understand the role they play in the wider energy grid of the future.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago
There's a different opinion, and there is digging a hole to be filled full of contradictions and false information. I don't have the patience for somebody who is so set in their ways that they refuse to accept anything but "EvS aRe BaD", and clearly don't understand the role they play in the wider energy grid of the future.
There's no false information here

I want to buy one dafty. The point is it's not economically or practically viable yet.

That subsidy would have helped. And a better charging system. Which the Tories are promising. But they are liars
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Dream on. You're never going to get rid of that one, he's just immune to decency and decorum.
Keep watching...
News here has it that his resignation letter has been drafted and the end is nigh.

Anyway, far more important is what will Lewis be wearing this weekend. Cant wait...... :sick:

White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Does that go in the 'didn't age well category'? :haha:

Although he is trying to cling on until autumn. Time to send the swat team in
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

What worries me now is who is going to replace him. That has me really concerned. If we get Jeremy Hunt I'll be looking for sanctuary in another country I think!!

Boris will only stay until they get someone to replace him, when Theresa may quit I think it took about 3-4 weeks, so I doubt he'll be there all that long.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

Star wrote: 1 year ago

What worries me now is who is going to replace him. That has me really concerned. If we get Jeremy Hunt I'll be looking for sanctuary in another country I think!!

Boris will only stay until they get someone to replace him, when Theresa may quit I think it took about 3-4 weeks, so I doubt he'll be there all that long.
Boris is clinging on as long as possible! Like a sticky turd :).
There's even doubts he's actually resigned lol. Michael could win this one yet