Is it time something was done?

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Is it time something was done?

Post by PTRACER »

I've seen four fatalities live on TV now in the last six years and all were head injuries from hitting something external to the car - a tyre, a fence post, a piece of bodywork, a truck...

Are cockpit canopies viable at all? Maybe forming the head rest over the driver's head like an extra roll hoop?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Yes, I think so. It is the only aspect that is still lethal to open-wheel racers. Kenny Bräck and Ryan Briscoe survived their shunts, yet Wilson did not. It is clear this is where the safety work has to concentrate on. I don't think making them look a bit like LMP cars is a bad thing. LMP racing hasn't changed because of roofs. Today's LMP1 cars are spaceships, and their style of canopies would not at all look out of place at Monaco or at Indianapolis. And they are almost open-wheelers as it is:

But I hear many drivers are not in favour of that. James Hinchcliffe being on of them. Ian mentioned tethers to bodywork parts like the nosecone elsewhere. But I fear that is not enough. While I'm of the opinion that while race tracks can be neutered by the safety crusade, the cars can never be "too safe".
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Yeah and LMP1s are still really exciting to watch and lap only a few seconds off current F1 cars at circuits like Spa. The only reason against it is tradition, but it would have saved at least two of the drivers I mentioned. Worth it IMO.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

No sooner after posting this thread the FIA are talking about it again:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-s ... kpit-tests

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Yesterday Dicksplaash posted an article which included parts of an interview with Derrick Walker, who says canopies are not the answer. His preferred solution being a form of a windshield. I find myself agreeing with him. There are risks and challenges with canopies on single seaters, some obvious ones that are known and others that are not because barely any R&D has been done. Canopies work in sportscar racing because the cars are inherently wider and doors / exit hatches are a simple to install and use. Single seaters don't have that luxury.

There's no guarantee that a canopy or windscreen system would have saved Dan Wheldon or Jules Bianchi, because the circumstances and severity of those accidents were extreme. A system would have deflected the debris away from Justin and Henry though.

What is needed is a research program into potential solutions, not knee jerk reactions.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

There's a pic of the Merc proposal somewhere, which would work for problems like this, but could introduce other problems, whatever they use needs to be strong enough to withstand impacts, but not weak enough that when it does break it shatters and ends up impaling the driver.

At the end of the day, you can stick all the canopies, rollbars, tethers and all manner of other safety equipment on the cars, but fate will still find a unique way to kill a few people, this sport is dangerous, but there are others out there that are far worse, accept it and do what you can but understand shit will always happen when you least expect it, or walk away from the sport and find something else to do/watch.
Last edited by Ian-S 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

NHRA also allows canopies in Top Fuel dragsters these days. They are not mandatory and not everyone uses them, but I think that is a validation that they can actually be used in racing cars.

Personally I think canopies are the way to go if something was to be done. A partial structure like a windscreen is never going to be as strong as a full canopy, so I don't see a point in not going for a full structure.

However, both windshields and canopies bring the inherent problems of reduced peripheral vision and bad visibility in the rain. And as far as canopies go, there are also the problems with driver extrication. As is so often the case there are pros and cons on both sides, and they must be analyzed carefully before decisions are made.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Getting a driver out of an LMP doesn't seem to be an issue, I don't see why this would be different. Why not extend the sidepod bodywork forward so they're level with the front of the cockpit and put a wide, triangular canopy over that? From the top, the car would look dart-shaped, but still look like a traditional open wheeler.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Sportscars are significantly wider than single seaters Paul. Like Ian said, introducing one solution only serves to create a new problem. What is needed is an R&D program into cockpit safety solutions.