Greatest length you've ever gone to to watch racing?

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Greatest length you've ever gone to to watch racing?

Post by PTRACER »

I would have to say it was when I was in school back in...2004?

British GP Friday qualifying just happened to fall right in the middle of a double P.E. lesson. I went to the P.E. teacher in the morning and manipulated him with a "Sirrrrr, you know I'm absolutely rubbish at P.E.?" and he just grinned wryly at me. "Well, instead of rugby today, can I watch the British Grand Prix qualifying on TV?"

He reluctantly agreed and me and two friends found an empty classroom and a TV and sat there for the whole 90 minute lesson :lol: It wouldn't have made a difference if he'd said no, coz I'd left my P.E. kit at home and took a portable TV aerial to school in my P.E. bag just in case :whistling:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

I think it was some 18 hours. Last year at the Le Mans 24h. RTL7 did a full 24h coverage of this race.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

I dunno really, a few weeks ago I rescheduled a party at my place so I could do an iRacing race.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Cheeveer wrote:I dunno really, a few weeks ago I rescheduled a party at my place so I could do an iRacing race.
that is impressive
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

My dad took me to the 1988 British GP, despite suffering from severe tonsilitis. That probably counts as hero parenting and parenting fail.

I went to a concert which coincided with the 2006 Brazilian GP, so after getting back at about 2am I watched the race. This doesn't sound like much but I'd woken up at 4am that Sunday, driven to Portsmouth and run a 10 mile race (in the pouring rain) before going back home and heading to the concert. So I was pretty tired.

In 2007 I was skiing at the time of the Australian GP and I decided to foregoe a night of apres-ski and went back to chalet so I could watch the race.

In 2008 I was in Sweden at the time of the opening MotoGP race. I got home after a long day of travel (including being stuck on a plane on the tarmac for 2 hours, plane couldn't take off as weather in England was terrible) around midnight, I had to be up at 6.30am for work but I still watched the race.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Heroic effort there Kieran!
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

Spa 2009

I had a do or die exam the day after. It was a resit. Either I passed and went on to the next year, or I didn't and was going to be stuck. Either way, my mind was set on the race, so I made the right decision. I passed with 51% :tongue:
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Antonov wrote:Spa 2009

I had a do or die exam the day after. It was a resit. Either I passed and went on to the next year, or I didn't and was going to be stuck. Either way, my mind was set on the race, so I made the right decision. I passed with 51% :tongue:
Congrats on the nail bitingly close pass mark! :thumbsup:
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

i had sex up to 5 am when the australian gp started and went on watching after dumping the girl
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

"GREATEST LENGTH" not "LONGEST TIME" :lol:

I went to the 1983 British GP, I have no memory of it (even the big crash that happened right in front of me), because I was suffering from viral pneumonia and spent most of the weekend asleep, but nothing was stopping me going.

I also have to regularly hide the remote down the back of the sofa in order to be able to watch the GP.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

from a drivers' perspective I guess Schumacher's drive and win during the 2003 San Marino GP, after his mother's passing.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Ian-S wrote:"GREATEST LENGTH" not "LONGEST TIME" :lol:
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
nascardad

Post by nascardad »

Last year, my son and I left vacation at the beach (leaving my wife there) and drove 3.5 hours back to Charlotte to see the NASCAR race. When the race was over, we drove the 3.5 hours back to the beach, keeping our record of attending every Coca Cola 600 since he was 4 (13 years).
Andy
Supreme Member
Supreme Member
Favourite Motorsport: 2 & 3 Wheeling
Favourite Racing Car: Bike ;) - Yamaha YZR 500
Favourite Driver: Justin 'Weeman' Collins
Favourite Circuit: Isle of Man - Mountain Course
Car(s) Currently Owned: M'cycle ;) - Yamaha FZS 600

Post by Andy »

My first Manx Grand Prix back in 2017.

Back then there was just one flight from Hanover to Manchester per day and it usually departed at 10pm German time which meant an overnight stay in Manchester as it ain't a 24/7 airport.

Newcomers lap on Saturday afternoon/evening used to be the start into the fortnight so a Friday night flight into Manchester

In summer for TT I had camped near a 24h Spar shop inside the airport and had intended to do the same for the Manx 2 monthes later. The dive into Manchester was rough already.
I picked up my luggage and went to said shop only to find all seats taken.
I would find one but in front of a gate that always opened thanks to the blowing wind outside. In almost autumn style weather I couldn't wait for departures to open again at 4:30am for my 9am flight.

On the Isle of Man I just dropped my stuff at the stay and went to paddock to see some mates. At one point I'd realise that I wouldn't make it back and went to St Ninians school yard on Bray Hill to watch the newcomers from there.

I crashed hugging a tree , at least it looked like that to my mate, the late Phil B but I was just leaning to it and kind of sunk down before he shouted across as he was marshaling at Inner Circle on Bray Hill.
I was awake again until I finally got back to the stay at 11pm as it was another 30min walk back up to Onchan.
"Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing" - David Jefferies
Microsprinter18
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Microsprinter18 »

Ah yes, the 2022 Southern 500. My ex-girlfriend called me that morning crying about something and after a couple minutes I basically told her "I don't have time for this" and just hung up and left to go the race. Finally got set free the next day. It was totally worth it, I was mentally checked out of the relationship and she was a cheating POS anyway.

I still feel like I'm owed an extra 11 months in my free trial of life after that one.
yes, I am the NASCAR flip list guy...