Lola Cars finally shuts its doors

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Lola Cars finally shuts its doors

Post by PTRACER »

I guess it's a sad day, one of the most well known British race car manufacturers finally closes its doors after failing to secure a buyer for its £20 million of debt. I wonder whether any of that is left over from the 1997 F1 season debacle?
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103257
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
ReneLotus
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by ReneLotus »

Shame, but it seems Lola's tradition of making decent cars and poor management plans has caught up with them.
On the one hand it is sad to see the Lola name dissappear, but I hope it does not get dragged out of the moth-balls by some half-arsed bunch of investors (such as the failed scheme for the Brabham name to come back to F1 and the Lotus saga).
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

Didn't they go bust for the first time when the F1 project failed? That's when Eric Broadley, the founder of Lola Cars, left the picture.

Shame to see the race car operation fold. I hope other manufacturers will step up and fill the void in privateer machinery this leaves in LMP style racing.
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

It is a sad day for the sport. They've been around for a long time, and have provided us some pretty nice sports cars. First one that comes to mind for me is the Lola T70. Don't forget they also helped in the building of the 1967 F1 Honda which won in that photo finish with John Surtees (in the Honda) and Jack Brabham (in his own car) at Monza.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

They actually built the mid 60's Honda, that it has been nicked the Hondola. It was the close relationship between Eric Broadley and John Surtees that convinced Enzo Ferrari to fire the 1964 world champion, fearing he could disclose classified Ferari project to the british garagisti.
Lola built also the chassis for the Ford GT40 class of cars that dominated the Le Mans 24hours for years.
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts