RIP Lee Richardson

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
xavier28
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

RIP Lee Richardson

Post by xavier28 »

Sad news from yesterday afternoon

RIP Lee Richardson

Times & Star
Speedway world shocked by death of GB star Lee Richardson
Last updated at 12:57, Monday, 14 May 2012

The world of speedway has been shocked by the death of former Great Britain international Lee Richardson.

Lee RichardsonRichardson, 33, who was captain of Elite League side Lakeside Hammers, died in a racing accident while riding for his Polish side Rzeszow last night when he hit the safety fence and suffered a heavy blow to the chest before later dying in hospital.

Richardson never rode at Derwent Park against the Comets as he joined the Elite League before the Comets reformed in 1999 but his father Colin, who rode for Eastbourne, Wimbledon and King’s Lynn, broke the track record when riding for Eastbourne at Workington in 1977.

Comets team manager Tony Jackson said: “It is a bad day for the sport. It just highlights the risks these guys take every time they go out on the track. It does happen but thankfully it is very rare.

“It hits everybody in speedway right across the board and for a lot of people at the moment the last thing they want to think about is speedway. It is a very unfortunate night for the sport.”

Richardson rode for Poole, Coventry, Reading, Peterborough, King’s Lynn, Swindon and Eastbourne as well as 38 Grand Prixs and 10 Speedway World Cups in what was a distinguished career.

A statement from Lakeside said: “All the club are devastated by the loss of a great captain, man and more than anything else a father and a husband.”

The British Speedway Promoters Association said they were deeply shocked and saddened by the death and that their thoughts were with Richardson’s family and friends.

Lakeside’s match with Coventry, which was due to be televised by Sky Sports tonight, has been postponed.

First published at 11:31, Monday, 14 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Racing is in my blood, ( Senna @ adeliade press confrence after the he was excluded from the 1989 japanesse grand prix
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

That's very sad, my wishes go out to Lee's family and friends.

If anyone is interested, there is a video of the accident and aftermath here **Warning - Shows Fatal Accident** http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC4pPYFfuQg. It looks rather tame but clearly it wasn't.

RIP Lee.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Very sad news. Thoughts and condolences to all family and many friends. :(

RIP Lee Richardson. :rip:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
toypop

Post by toypop »

:rip:

Saw him up Swindon when he rode for us and other times when he rode against us. I wasn't a big fan of his but always respected the commitment and bravery of all the riders including Lee.

I feel so sad for his family. People get hurt in Speedway but you don't expect them to not come home. Must be hell for them right now.

Desperately sad.