So has anyone bought Gran Turismo 5?

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

So has anyone bought Gran Turismo 5?

Post by PTRACER »

Any good?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

what's Grand Turismo, is it a stuck up tortoise?
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

It was the must have driving game for Playstation. Sadly that changed once the PS3 was launched.
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

Got it a week ago... The menu system is slow and not very intuitive, the pad controls are occasionally laggy, the game crashes at an uncomfortable rate without saving your progress, half the gameplay features won't get unlocked until you play for a few weeks, the AI is still far from perfect, some driving challenges and license tests offer controller-thrown-through-the-window-at-supersonic-speed levels of frustration, load times are slow, collision physics are rubbish, engine sounds are generally underwhelming, the amount of visible graphical issues is woeful, there's no bonnet view... I could go on, and I haven't even really tried out online, car customization or photo mode to see if there are any problems with those features.

And yet I can't stop playing the damn thing. The physics are excellent and aside from an occasional controller issue the driving itself is great fun. For me that's enough, but if you want to be awed by graphics and sounds or have a really short temper for problems I suggest testing it out before buying.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Have you ever played iRacing to compare Sam? Or driven GT5 with a steering wheel?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

PTRACER wrote:Have you ever played iRacing to compare Sam? Or driven GT5 with a steering wheel?
I did get to try GT5 with a wheel when Sony had one of their promo setups in Rally Finland but, annoyingly, they had some novice arcade settings on the machine so I couldn't get any real feel for the game.

No experience from iRacing either so can't compare with that. I would be surprised if GT5 matched iRacing as far as realism goes, though, seeing that it's not quite as hardcore.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

People do seem to be quite upset that most of the cars are ports from GT4 and the sounds and AI are just as rubbish.

I also saw a video of a NASCAR doing 230mph in the tow at Daytona. It doesn't sound very real to me.

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

what? you expected realism from a console game?
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
Speedworx
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: NASCAR
Favourite Driver: Tony Stewart
Favourite Circuit: Talladega Superspeedway
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Focus

Post by Speedworx »

GT5 is on my xmas list.
Sam
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Sam »

PTRACER wrote:People do seem to be quite upset that most of the cars are ports from GT4 and the sounds and AI are just as rubbish.
The ported cars are low on detail and have low res textures, but you don't generally notice it when racing against them. They don't have interior views, though, so if you're used to driving from cockpit they are going to be a disappointment. They are also not that spectacular in photo mode either. For me neither of those is an issue and the cars have updated physics so personally I only see the ported cars as extra content.

Sounds are better than in GT4 but that's not saying much. Some cars actually sound very good but those are few and far between, for the most part they are mediocre at best and some of the cars sound like sewing machines...
PTRACER wrote:I also saw a video of a NASCAR doing 230mph in the tow at Daytona. It doesn't sound very real to me.
The NASCAR cars don't have restrictor plates, and hence they go at rather mad speeds around Daytona.

On the realism... To me (as a pad driver) the cars seem to react to the steering input in a very realistic way. Whether that is an absolutely accurate representation of real life I don't know, but it sure feels like it. Someone called it 'pseudo realistic' and I'll agree with that.
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

Sam wrote:
PTRACER wrote:On the realism... To me (as a pad driver) the cars seem to react to the steering input in a very realistic way. Whether that is an absolutely accurate representation of real life I don't know, but it sure feels like it. Someone called it 'pseudo realistic' and I'll agree with that.
:agreepost:
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
eivind
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by eivind »

I play this with my Logitech G25, and it is not bad. The physics are way better than the previous games, but of course not as good as hardcore simracers would like it to be, after all it is a highly commercial console-game. You can have a lot of fun with it. I have yet to try it online, but I suppose this will be very entertaining.
Speedworx
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: NASCAR
Favourite Driver: Tony Stewart
Favourite Circuit: Talladega Superspeedway
Car(s) Currently Owned: Ford Focus

Post by Speedworx »

Loving the game. A friend sent me a Veyron within and hour of me playing the game. Did some online racing last night and the Pagani Zonda R around Daytona Road was AWESOME!

:cool:
caneparo
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Circuit: Monza
Car(s) Currently Owned: Fiat 500X

Post by caneparo »

online I don't understand how I could race against those people that have serious cars, while I don't have it. they should allow classes and let cars race only under that class
I am from Italy, a country known for its history, cars, food, wine, and horny men
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forged-In ... 565?ref=ts
WilliamsF1

Post by WilliamsF1 »

I've got this game. I also have the G25 steering wheel attached to my racing frame. I enjoy the game & feel they focused on the actual steering input using the wheel, with a good degree of success.
There is no such thing as a risk, when you don't have EVERYTHING you want