Why do they sound so bad live?

Music old and new, musical instruments and musical theory. No copyrighted MP3s may be posted in this forum!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Why do they sound so bad live?

Post by PTRACER »

Have a listen to these...album songs versus live version. The only bits that sound similar are the music, the vocals are so dire!

I used to like Franz Ferdinand and Scissor Sisters, but quickly went off of them because of how crap they actually are as singers. They must so heavily rely on computers and good producing to bring their voices up to scratch on a record.

I'm also so disappointed by hearing Paloma Faith singing live, I thought her new song New York was stunningly brilliant but she actually has no power behind her voice at all, it must all be faked.

I'll put them in spoilers to make it easier.

Paloma Faith - New York
Official studio version:

Live on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross:
Franz Ferdinand - Dark Of The Matinee
Official studio version:

Live at some music festival:
Scissor Sisters - Laura
Official studio version:

Live on Later With Jools Holland:
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

a studio could make a tortured cat sound like the next number 1, they have loads of tricks in the studios.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
strad
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2004 Mustang SVT Cobra + Colorado

Post by strad »

As I pointed out before...They all sell ya a bill of goods anymore...and in a way you are to blame...A long time ago we had concerts amd it was all obviously live and spontanious, but then for some reason people began wanting to hear EXACTLY what was on their album..enter the age of the sing along...most concerts are all now nothing more than glorified Kareoke at best and outright lip syncing at worst..We wanted the live experience,,,the live version that turned into a 25 minute jam session...The last thing we wanted was to go to a concert to hear the album....When I went to a Who concert that was obviously at least 60% on tape that was when I decided if I was gonna just hear the tape then I'd stay at home and listen to the album on the best equipment money could buy...oh that I had it back..My friend Tom still has the Belle Klipschorns and they still sound great.
If a man can't look at danger and still go on, man has stopped living. If the worst ever happens – then it means simply that I've been asked to pay the bill for the happiness of my life – without a moment's regret. Graham Hill
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

I have a Scissor Sisters live DVD at home somewhere and thought they sounded pretty good. But like strad said, I can't put it much better really
strad wrote:...most concerts are all now nothing more than glorified Kareoke at best and outright lip syncing at worst..
:agreepost:

I got dragged to a concert back in 2004, I'm not saying who out of embarrassment but she's well known and my wife seems to enjoy here "music". The concert wasn't a concert as there wasn't any singing. She just mimed along and danced. It was like we were watching all of her music videos, but live.

My first concert I went to see was Van Morrison back in 1998. Just him a small backing band and a room of about 200 people. He was awesome and it was a proper concert with proper vocals.