"Thanks" button?

Announcements of any new features or alternations to the forum will be posted here. This is the place to submit any problems you have or suggestions on how to improve the forum.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

"Thanks" button?

Post by PTRACER »

I would like to throw in the suggestion to add a "Thanks" button to the forum if such a mod exists.

This means that links to videos can be hidden within a [thanks] BBCode and cannot be revealed until the Thanks button is clicked. By clicking the Thanks button, you not only reveal the hidden content, but you automatically reply to the post with a "Thank you." message. The purpose of this would be to see who is downloading what without saying thanks to the posters.

What do you think?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

I would like that. :thumbsup:
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1..BTCC..MotoGP
Favourite Racing Car: Benetton B189
Favourite Circuit: Donington Park

Post by kals »

Me too. :thumbsup:
FloP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by FloP »

I wouldn't. If someone wants to thank the poster, they are free to do so. But what's the point of forcing people to say "thank you"? That has absolutely nothing to do with appreciation, and I don't think seeing those video threads filled with automatic replies would be pleasant for anyone. :dunno:
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

at united forum's it works quiet well, that's the reason they introduced it basically to stop the leachers, although you actually have to post a reply to get the link/password rather than just click the Thanks button.

I believe they use this mod, although it's use here might not be popular.
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... =protected
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

I want to be able to track who downloads what so I know whether I am wasting my time or not capturing videos, as I'm sure would kals and strad and others who post videos on this forum.

The only other way of doing it is via the attachment mod but it's a lot of code and it wouldn't work the way I would want it to work.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

FloP
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by FloP »

I don't like the thought of my downloads being monitored this way, though, no matter what the purpose may be. In my view, you're wasting your time if nobody cares to reply voluntarily.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

PTRACER wrote:I want to be able to track who downloads what so I know whether I am wasting my time or not capturing videos, as I'm sure would kals and strad and others who post videos on this forum.

The only other way of doing it is via the attachment mod but it's a lot of code and it wouldn't work the way I would want it to work.
what FloP says.

Anybody who captures does it for the love of it or voluntary gratitude from others, I don't capture anymore for the simple reason of being accused of stealing someone elses capture and claiming it as mine, even though the person who I was supposed to have stolen the clip from confirmed it wasn't the same clip, the clip was about 12 seconds longer and contained a different angle of the crash, but of course some smartarse saw the thumbnail I posted and assumed I'd leached it, so now because of that arsehole at another forum (NOT tbk), I don't capture stuff.

If you want to monitor what I download and when, then you can delete my account now too, most of the time if you have to ask whether you're wasting your time doing something, then you usually are.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Ian,

Who downloads the videos I post is of no consequence to me whatsoever and I don't do for in desperate need of recognition. I'm most interested how many people are downloading.

I capture clips for others to enjoy. If I am capturing them, then I have already enjoyed them and I want to share that enjoyment with others. Time is at a premium for me these days and I won't waste my time attempting to share with other people if no one wants them.

And I'm sure the same will apply to anyone else who shares content on the forum.

Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

PTRACER wrote:Who downloads the videos I post is of no consequence to me whatsoever and I don't do for in desperate need of recognition. I'm most interested how many people are downloading.
That's not what you said...
PTRACER wrote:I want to be able to track who downloads what
If all you want is the number of people who download something, then use a download script to count clicks.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Ian-S wrote:
PTRACER wrote:Who downloads the videos I post is of no consequence to me whatsoever and I don't do for in desperate need of recognition. I'm most interested how many people are downloading.
That's not what you said...
Sorry if I gave the wrong impression as that is what I meant, it just didn't come out right.
Ian-S wrote:
PTRACER wrote:I want to be able to track who downloads what
If all you want is the number of people who download something, then use a download script to count clicks.
I've looked for ones before that integrate into phpBB forums or SQL databases and never found anything other than the attachment mod.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

Found something. It creates a log file when someone clicks for the first time and then appends to it whenever it receives a second, third, fourth click etc.

Currently testing it out on my clips here:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10349

I'm happy to give the code to others and show them how to use it if they want it, providing it works here. It seems to make hotlinking practically impossible!

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

Is there anyway you can see all the posts you've been thanked for? The thank facility is good but when you click on the "thanked" number in your profile you can only see a small number of the posts you've been thanked for, and those I believe are the very first ones.

It is nice to see the thanked number rise, but typically I've no idea what I'm being thanked for unless it is a very recent thread.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

kals wrote:Is there anyway you can see all the posts you've been thanked for? The thank facility is good but when you click on the "thanked" number in your profile you can only see a small number of the posts you've been thanked for, and those I believe are the very first ones.

It is nice to see the thanked number rise, but typically I've no idea what I'm being thanked for unless it is a very recent thread.
Maybe in an update of the mod. Or if I could find out how to show the most recently thanked posts rather than the very first. No idea how I'd do that though.

kals
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by kals »

I've looked around in the ACP and there are a few options, but I didn't want to make any changes and screw up the forum.