Its Crockett & Tubbs time.... the 2024 MIAMI VICE GP

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Do KMav is on 10 penalty points now? Give Bearman a call
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

ODDS AND SODS

* Lando is the first driver to take a maiden win in the United States since Michele Alboreto at Caesars Palace in 1982.

* It was the first time the British national anthem has played on the podium since Sao Paulo 2022.

* It was also the first time ever it has been "God Save the King" for a British race winner in F1. Mike Hawthorn was the first British winner at th 1953 French GP in July 1953. It was God Save the Queen then. (On 6 February 1952, King George VI died and then is when Princess Elizabeth acceded to the throne, becoming Queen Elizabeth II. Her actual Coronation was June 1953)

* Mentioned it post race but Lando became the 21st British driver to win a Championship F1 race (and the 114th overall (includes Indy 500 winners in Championship years)

* Nick Heidfeld now retains the 'honour' of becoming the driver with the most podiums without a win (13). Lando had the title with 15 until today.

* It was Lando's 110th race. Sergio had his first race win in his 190th start (The highest in history). Others are Nico Rosberg (111) Jenson Button (113) Trulli (117) Barrichello (124). Webber (130) Sainz (150) then Sergio.

•. In a similar vein, Nico Hulkenberg became the driver to have starte the most GPs without a win..... 209. De Cesaris was the previous record holder at 208. Nico also has the same record for 209 starts without a podium. (Sutil is 2nd with 128 starts without a podium.)

• Lando's win at Miami means no one has ever won the Miami GP from Pole.

•. It also ended Max's run of six consecutive race wins in the United States. it was the first time he has failed to win a race at Miami in four attempts (Sprint and Grand Prix).

• Max scored his 7th consecutive pole.... pole at Imola will mean Max will match the outright record of 8 consecutive poles by Senna in 1989

* It was only McLaren’s second Grand Prix win in the last 12 years (the other came with Daniel Ricciardo at Monza 2021).

• McLaren recorded their longest run of consecutive double Q3 appearances in over 12 years

• Lewis finished in P6 and has now finished sixth in all three Miami Grands Prix to date. (It was his first top 6 finish of the year.)

* Already mentioned but McLaren, a Mercedes customer team wins a race this season before the Mercedes manufacturer team. McLaren also now have nearly double the WCC points of Mercedes.... 124 to 64.

* Not really F1 related but McLaren have won in Indycar, Formula E and now Formula 1 within the past two months.

• Today was McLaren’s 13th win in the United States – tying Ferrari’s record – and their first US win since Lewis Hamilton at Austin 2012.

• Esteban Ocon’s P10 meant Alpine scored their first point of 2024, the longest the Team gone into a season before doing so since 1985 when they were Toleman.

• Finally, Charles Leclerc continued his run of decent results.... he has finished every race this year top 4.

Thats enough for now......

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

DaleJuniorFan wrote: 1 week ago "I saw the great Lando Norris win the race in the GREAT STATE OF FLORIDA, that loves me so very much (so, so very much), except for their FAILING governor who tried and FAILED in the primaries."

"Mr. Norris, great kid, I know his father Chuck Norris well. Wonderful actor, many great movies."

"He beat Verstappen very badly (who I will refer to now as SLEEPY MAX). Sleepy Max has RUINED Formula 1 with his ARROGANCE and GREED and WOKE AGENDA, just like Sleepy Joe has done to our once great America. Which, might I add, I will make great again."
"A lot of people don't know this, but I told Mr. Norris to join McLaren. People say I know the most about contracts."

"When you're a star, they let you grab them by the rear wing."

"This GREAT victory is just the start my friends. When we get access to CROOKED CHRISTIAN'S laptop, we'll be able to lock him up like the DOG he is."
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

I remembered picking Lando as a future star many years ago... it would have been 2016 I first mentioned him. In fact here 'tis
Everso Biggyballies wrote:Incidentally my pick for a future star in open wheeler racing, Lando Norris

I saw him racing (on TV) in New Zealand F4 and also the Toyota Racing Series... he dominated the series with some exemplary drives, including becoming the first British winner of the NZ GP since Sir Jackie Stewart. He was also the youngest ever World Karting Champion, eclipsing Lewis Hamilton's record back in 2014. To make even the younger members here feel old he was born in Nov. 1999 ! (@Double Fart, he was born in Bristol.)
I got one thing wrong though.... he wasnt born in Bristol. He was born 20 odd miles down the road in Glastonbury.

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Well, who expected that result? Not me, that's for sure. If anyone had suggested such a thing, I'd have laughed in their face and then had to apologise for it after.

It was a massive day for Lando Norris, his first win in 110 races and you could see what it meant to him too, bless his heart. It was the first time God Save The King has been played as well, deeply emotional for our young driver as you'd expect. Ironically it was his teammate Oscar Piastri who seemed to be doing better in the race at first after a great start.

How Perez didn't take either Leclerc or Vertsappen off in that first corner mistake I don't know. He's so lucky that he didn't. It was a very close thing though, yet somehow the racing gods were smiling on everyone and they all made it through. Piastri managed a great pass on Leclerc and it looked like being a great race.

The signs were bad for Max when he barrelled that cone off the track, a rare incident of that sort for him. That suggested he wasn't comfortable in the car, though it didn't point to the end result.

I felt sorry for Sargeant being punted off the way he was by Magnussen and that incident is what changed the entire race. The safety car coming out meant Norris got a huge advantage from the pitstop he made then and the safety car is so used to Vertsappen leading, they picked him up by mistake. Oops.

Carlos Sainz was back to being the ngry man of F1, we haven't seen that side of him for a while but he was back in full force this race.

I did feel bad for Piastri when he got the wing damage and the team were worried about him pushing too hard, causing an incident and bringing out a safety car. They had Lando Norris in the lead building a gap and Verstappen unable to pass him, they didn't want anything to risk that. I can't say I blame them either.

The win when it came was huge for Lando Norris and you hear the emotion in his team radio response after the race, plsu when he was on the podium. Well done to him and McLaren, they deserved the win and they took it. Great job!!
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

No more Lando Nowins, here comes Lando No-integrity
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Star wrote: 1 week ago
The win when it came was huge for Lando Norris and you hear the emotion in his team radio response after the race, plsu when he was on the podium. Well done to him and McLaren, they deserved the win and they took it. Great job!!
On our (Sky) coverage they had a video link to Lando's Father Adam back home in Somerset watching on TV. He was very emotional and one of the things that was a bit of an eyeopener was when they were talking about how after 110 GPs he finally won one. His Father just chipped in with the fact that they are overlooking the previous 900 race weekends they had done together to even get to F1 and the 110 GPs..... all the karting races and all the junior formula races around the world, all they time Father and son were away from the family etc. Plus the long journeys home in silence, not talking because something had gone wrong.

Certainly tough (and expensive) all this getting to F1 malarkey. Not that Adam Norris is short of a quid. :wink:

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 week ago
Star wrote: 1 week ago
On our (Sky) coverage they had a video link to Lando's Father Adam back home in Somerset watching on TV. He was very emotional and one of the things that was a bit of an eyeopener was when they were talking about how after 110 GPs he finally won one. His Father just chipped in with the fact that they are overlooking the previous 900 race weekends they had done together to even get to F1 and the 110 GPs..... all the karting races and all the junior formula races around the world, all they time Father and son were away from the family etc. Plus the long journeys home in silence, not talking because something had gone wrong.

Certainly tough (and expensive) all this getting to F1 malarkey. Not that Adam Norris is short of a quid. :wink:
Aww bless, I bet he was emotional, what a shame he wasn't at the race to see it. Ta for telling me that :bow: :cool:

XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Anybody get the Sky TV pre-race coverage where they put Lando in the lie detector test? They asked him if he was finally going to win a race in 2024 and he say yes very confidently. No lies were told. It was at that moment when I was thinking to myself that he could win in Miami. It's a street track any anything could happen. So I guess the Sky team gave him the "good jinx".

So who should take the lie detector test next?
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

XcraigX wrote: 1 week ago Anybody get the Sky TV pre-race coverage where they put Lando in the lie detector test? They asked him if he was finally going to win a race in 2024 and he say yes very confidently. No lies were told. It was at that moment when I was thinking to myself that he could win in Miami. It's a street track any anything could happen. So I guess the Sky team gave him the "good jinx".

Lance Stroll, 'Will you manage a race where you're not involved in any contentious issues?' I bet he can't truthfully answer that one.

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Cheeveer wrote: 1 week ago No more Lando Nowins, here comes Lando No-integrity
Eh?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

XcraigX wrote: 1 week ago Anybody get the Sky TV pre-race coverage where they put Lando in the lie detector test? They asked him if he was finally going to win a race in 2024 and he say yes very confidently. No lies were told. It was at that moment when I was thinking to myself that he could win in Miami. It's a street track any anything could happen. So I guess the Sky team gave him the "good jinx".

I saw that and love the segment. They have done a number of other drivers over the past year or so, certainly George and Lewis, and Oscar they did quite recently.. I recall they asked Oscar if he had ever peed in the car.... he said no! Then said he tried to but couldnt. (I know drivers who admit to it. Jenson Button is one. I remember when he subbed for Alonso at McLaren (maybe at Monaco when Alonso was at Indy it was after his revelation and Nando asked him not to pee in his seat. (Maybe Jenson said he did I cant remember the actual details
I remember him (Oscar) being asked if he would like to be Max's team mate, but I cant remember his answer other than it was a lie.

They are on youtube, but I have problems with Sky F1 videos being geo-blocked in Aus. I even subscribed to their YT Channel but that didnt work. I will have to get another VPN again. The one I get free with my anti virus programme is useless and seems not to be able to lie well enough about where I am. :haha: :haha:

EDIT: OK I just found the Oscar episode and it works in Aus.

If that doesnt work I found them both (Lando and Oscar) on the McLaren site.

**Whoops, posted it before I played it .... when I played it discovered its not the Sky one, just an internal McLaren version using a different machine that gives a lie a small electric shock**

Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

OK it seems the Sky videos have unblocked themselves tonight. (I couldnt play them until now). :dunno: :roll:

For those like @Star who I know dont watch Sky F1 here is Lando from the weekend.

Senna4ever
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: 1) LECLERC!!, 2) Sainz, 3) Senna
Favourite Circuit: Olanda

Post by Senna4ever »

Wow go Lando Norris!
<3 Ah Sabbadah! <3
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

PTRACER wrote: 1 week ago
Cheeveer wrote: 1 week ago No more Lando Nowins, here comes Lando No-integrity
Eh?
"Donald is someone that you got to have a lot of respect for in many ways."
https://www.racefans.net/2024/05/06/nor ... spect-for/
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

And here is the Lewis Lie Detector test.

and George Russell