They drove that car?

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: British Touring Car Championship
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton

Post by Nononsensecapeesh »

Bottom post of the previous page:

erwin greven wrote: 2 weeks ago
Nononsensecapeesh wrote: 2 weeks ago Image
Nelson Piquet drove the Brabham BT46B "fan-car" in the Gunnar Nilsson Memorial Trophy at Donington Park in 1979.
image does not work

Fingers crossed.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

works for me.

The actual Gunnar Nilsson Trophy itself was a bit of a non event in the end with no actual race per se. Only 5 cars in it, and it ended up being each car doing a series of 5 timed laps against the clock. The event was planned as a non-championship F1 race, with a full grid, but the FIA refused to recognise the event and most of the teams withdrew leaving just 5 cars.

Jones recorded the fastest lap in a Williams.
*Edited in light of new info provided by @EB
A bit of trivia for you is that, from all accounts it was the the last time Hunt competed in an F1 car, who retired from racing immediately afterwards
(This Donington weekend was on the 2-3rd June 1979, the weekend after Hunts final GP at Monaco the weekend prior.)

James did partake in the one off Mercedes Coswork 'Race of Champions' saloon car race to launch the new neutered Nurburgring short track that F1 started to then use. (Pics and details follow in a couple of posts

1. Alan Jones, Williams FW07, 1'01.37
2. James Hunt, Wolf WR8, 1'02.54
3. Mario Andretti, Lotus 79, 1'02.67
4. Nelson Piquet, Brabham BT46B, 1'03.61
5. Rupert Keegan, Arrows A1B, 1'05.09

There was however other races at the meeting, a (non championship) BMW M1 Procar race (won by Piquet) a non championship F3 race, a BMW "Celebrity" race won by Martin Brundle and a demonstration of Historic F1 cars which included Fangio, then near 70 years old, in the Mercedes Benz W125 Others in the Historic demo were Denny Hulme on a Cooper-Climax, Dan Gurney in a BRM P25, and Jackie Stewart in a Tyrrell 006/2. Also in that was Beatle George Harrison, who drove Stirling Moss's 1961 Lotus 18.

George Harrisson and Jackie Stewart did a TV interview at Donington which, other than confirming what a wonderful person Gunnar was, also heavily promoted the Gunnar Nilsson Memorial Cancer Foundation, set up by Gunnar himself in the final weeks of his life before he died, to generate funds for cancer research.

At the same time George Harrison's famous "Faster" single was released with proceeds from the record sales donated to Gunnar's fund

Anyway another of the Brabham from Donington that weekend, with Piquet at the wheel..... not the best quality but....

Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 1 week ago, edited 1 time in total.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 week ago A bit of trivia for you is that, from all accounts it was the final competition event for James Hunt
Not of any kind, he raced in that Merc saloon event to "celebrate" the Ersatzring in 1984, and took part in Driving Force in 1985 😛
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

EB wrote: 1 week ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 week ago A bit of trivia for you is that, from all accounts it was the final competition event for James Hunt
Not of any kind, he raced in that Merc saloon event to "celebrate" the Ersatzring in 1984, and took part in Driving Force in 1985 😛
I stand corrected. Thanks. I will revise that to the last time he competed in an F1 car. I will edit my original post to correct. :thumbsup:

As far as I can determine "Driving Force" was very much none F1 :haha:
Famous personalities are teamed with equally celebrated professional drivers to race bulldozers, buses, rally cars and army transporters, to complete a Trials Cars circuit and then have a puncture. Actor Oliver Tobias joins Britain's most successful rally driver, Roger Clark. Tom O'Connor becomes Britain's fastest comedian with the help of Grand Prix driver John Watson. Sarah Kennedy is with Britain's last World Grand Prix champion, James Hunt. Pink Floyd's Nick Mason has driven regularly in the Le Mans 24 hours race and now joins World Landspeed record holder Richard Noble.

A quick look around confirms he drove the #15 car at that 1984 'Nürburgring' (Ersatzring) Champions’ Cup and here is a pic in the paddock.

Another where you an just see the Hunt name on the screen, pre race, back in the right hand lane

And a better one on track.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

I love how I throw you crumbs and get a three course meal in return 👍