STAKE F1 TEAM KICK SAUBER

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

If you take the 11 current drivers and add the serious non current contenders, you can add three to make 14.... Lawson Bearman and Antonelli
(Both Lawson Bearman have actual recent F1 race experience...... also Antonelli tested an F1 car just last week for Mercedes)

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Antonelli might be Toto's card for 2026, and a reason why Carlos purportedly received drive offer only for 2025.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Aty wrote: 1 week ago Antonelli might be Toto's card for 2026, and a reason why Carlos purportedly received drive offer only for 2025.
Undoubtedly. Toto would very much like to place him in F1 next year in a lower team to build experience (as he did with Russell at Williams.)
Logan Sargeant should be very worried. :wink:
Personally I think that is premature... the guy jumped from some regional junior formula to F2 this year and although talented is not currently winning races in F2. I think he needs another year in F2 before doing a lower F1 team in 2026. Maybe if he wins F2 next year he might be worth risking at Mercedes but it would be a risk Toto might not be willing to take..

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 1 week ago
Aty wrote: 1 week ago Antonelli might be Toto's card for 2026, and a reason why Carlos purportedly received drive offer only for 2025.
Undoubtedly. Toto would very much like to place him in F1 next year in a lower team to build experience (as he did with Russell at Williams.)
Logan Sargeant should be very worried. :wink:
Personally I think that is premature... the guy jumped from some regional junior formula to F2 this year and although talented is not currently winning races in F2. I think he needs another year in F2 before doing a lower F1 team in 2026. Maybe if he wins F2 next year he might be worth risking at Mercedes but it would be a risk Toto might not be willing to take..
I think the same about all juniors like Antonelli. Premature advancement might actually hurt him for good.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

This is why I have said they should sign Carlos for 2 seasons. It gives them a top driver to go through the first year of development, and he can jump ship to Audi if they're good and Antonelli is ready for 2027.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

My intuition is telling me that Audi doesn't practice jerky business movements and quick fixes. Drivers they will want is for optimal engagement. Seven years is far too long, and two years seems too short. My bet is on three years at minimum. It is a question of matching all three elements into a cohesive unit; driver, supporting team, and his equipment.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2024-04-21 19:07 (CEST)
In re: Shanghai

AAB: This was not a race we were expecting, or wanting.

Positive: Pit stops seems now better.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2024-04-25 08:39 (CEST)
F1 insider
Ralf Bach

In re: Sauber next choice of a driver, Nico Hülkenberg (36)

https://f1-insider.com/formel-1-huelken ... e_vignette

As predicted and hoped for...
The big shift in the Formula 1 transfer market is gradually taking shape. According to information from F1-Insider.com, one of two places in the future Audi team is now occupied. Audi and the German Nico Hülkenberg (36) agree to go together from 2025. The only thing missing is the signature.
Audi is offering Hülkenberg a long-term contract with a term of at least three years. Seidl from Lower Bavaria still has to wait for his second dream pilot. The Spaniard Carlos Sainz is still hesitant. He has to decide by mid-May, then Audi wants to talk to other drivers, for example with the French Pierre Gasly and Esteban Ocon. Both of their contracts with Alpine are expiring and both are toying with a move. Zhou and Bottas have no chance.

Hülkenberg and Audi would come together, something that has long belonged together in their self-image. F1-Insider.com knows: The Emmerich native actually wanted to drive for Sauber, the future Audi team, this year (2024), but Haas refused to give permission.

I think three years cycle for a driver makes sense for several reasons. I don't put much faith into bus stops a year and similar stunts represent.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2024-04-26 10:52 (CEST)

Nico has been confirmed for Sauber 2025 (and beyond).

:bow:
Sauber, however, did not announced which of their current drivers Valtteri Bottas and Zhou Guanyu will make way for Hülkenberg.
Andreas Seidl, CEO of Sauber Motorsport AG and also CEO of the future Audi F1 factory team said, “We are very pleased to welcome Nico back here in Hinwil from 2025 and to compete with him in Formula One. With his speed, his experience and his commitment to teamwork, he will be an important part of the transformation of our team – and of Audi’s F1 project. Right from the start, there was great mutual interest in building something long-term together. Nico is a strong personality, and his input, on a professional and personal level, will help us to make progress both in the development of the car and in building up the team.”

Nico said, “I’m returning to the team I worked with back in 2013 and have fond memories of the strong team spirit in Switzerland, The prospect of competing for Audi is something very special.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Before you look at his capailities, Zhou is without doubt more important to Audi commercially than Bottas. Audi have highlighted China as the one market internationally they need / would like to improve awareness and sales in. Zhou's popularity in China cannot be underestimated. The Chinese named one of the larger grandstands in his honour this year. I read it sold out within minutes of ticket sales being opened. His involvement would guarantee more sales for Audi in China than if Lewis was driving for them and Steiner managing the team! Certainly moreso that Bottas.

Oh and over the weekend of the Chinese GP a documentary movie of his life and how he progressed in Motorsport to reach F1 was released in China, showing initially in 1000 cinenas there. This will further increase his already huge profile and popularity, and further enhance his celebrity status there.
As an aside, his family also own one of the largest automobile retailing and distribution operations in China.

Having said that Audi are clearly looking at a team leader of team leadership potential.... but for next year when the team will still operate as Sauber , the fact he comes with a huge cheque of 30 million Euros might be influential,

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Some time ago on this forum I'v expressed the same sentiment, that Zhou nationality may play a role when discussion takes place what to do about his contract. Even today, after following almost daily about six different sport sections, I have no firm idea what Seidl and Hoffmann are thinking about Zhou. People on sidelines think it's Sainz or one of the Alpine boys. They all are content with both current drivers will be dismissed. I am however noticing that Sauber has not confirmed who is leaving and making space for Hulk. For now my bet is on Bottas.

It was mentioned, that both drivers are underperforming current car (if that was possible). Performance inconsistencies were identified.

https://www.sauber-group.com/shots/nico ... s?d=Racing
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I feel it is the car that is the greatest underperformer, moreso than the drivers.

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

To explain critique of drivers - both drivers logged often an excellent sector times in two segments, and randomly dropped one of them. It was said if they logged all three sectors at their best on a single lap, they could have qualified at P6 - P8. Inconsistency in a sector dropped them several places back, as the mid-field is tight.

Yes, car is quite inadequate. No doubt about it.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2024-04-29 14:05 (CEST)
AMuS
Conversation with Andreas Seidl about preparations for Audi's entry.
Seidl: We are on track. If we look at the project progress on the drive side in Neuburg, then Adam Baker started building up the team and infrastructure at Audi Formula Racing GmbH as early as 2022. Testing of all components for the drive unit began in 2023.

As of today, the team and infrastructure are largely in place. On the team page at Sauber in Hinwil, we have used the last few months to work out with the team where the deficits lie compared to the top teams in Formula 1. From this we have developed a clear plan as to what we need to tackle in the transformation from a private team to a top team. We set up project teams at an early stage in order to optimally network the two locations and thus fully exploit the potential of a factory team in the future. I am confident that we will achieve our goal.
It seems Audi has no plans to drive at the back.
Andreas
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2024-05-03 12:20 (CEST)
Sainz denies turning down 2025 Audi-Sauber move
Another driver announcement is now looming at Audi-owned Sauber - but strong paddock rumours suggest it will not be Carlos Sainz.
https://www.grandprix.com/news/sainz-de ... -move.html

Well, that was always possibility. It is increasingly apparent that Carlos is seeking something what Audi is unable give it to him at the moment.

Is it over then?

This is what Carlos said:
"...not everything depends on me. There are still some things to wait for.

But it's not over between us yet, Sainz added. We are negotiating with different people and considering different options.
Actually in German media it was claimed that Audi deferred deadline on his feedback to mid May just to accommodate his calendar. He might end up making a decision and decline Audi's invitation without having anything firm elsewhere.

Who else is a candidate for joining Audi? I don't know, but someone suggested Alpine drivers...

I want Seb.