F1 2024 STUFF NOT WORTHY OF ITS OWN THREAD

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Alpine F1 Team is set to be sold to South Korean auto giant Hyundai who will enter Formula 1 in 2026 with former Renault team principal, Cyril Abiteboul reportedly leading the project with Max Verstappen in his sites.
https://www.grandprix247.com/2024/04/01 ... wants-max/

Suprise after surprise...how did Paul Velasco laid hands on this one is hard to guess.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Aty wrote: 1 month ago
Alpine F1 Team is set to be sold to South Korean auto giant Hyundai who will enter Formula 1 in 2026 with former Renault team principal, Cyril Abiteboul reportedly leading the project with Max Verstappen in his sites.
https://www.grandprix247.com/2024/04/01 ... wants-max/

Suprise after surprise...how did Paul Velasco laid hands on this one is hard to guess.

It is April 1st. Every story is a lie.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Maybe, but April 1 or not, this is not first time I am reading about this team is seeking a buyer.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Even the article midway through reminds readers of the date with reference of it being confirmed later on April 1st.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

HEIKKI KOVALAINEN RECOVERING FROM OPEN-HEART SURGERY

F1 race winner now rally driver Heikki Kovalainen says he has the possibility of making a full recovery after undergoing open-heart surgery.

Heikki, former McLaren, Renault, Caterham and Lotus F1 driver announced in March that he would undergo an operation after being diagnosed with an ascending aortic aneurysm, a medical condition that affects the arteries.

As a result of the diagnosis, Kovalainen has halted any motorsport activities. He had been set to defend his Japanese Rally Championship title, driving a Toyota GR Yaris Rally2, alongside co-driver Sae Kitagawa, with whom he won back-to-back titles in 2022 and 2023.

Wishing Heikki all the very best for a full and speedy recovery and a returrn to his normal life.
Heikki wrote:Over the last few months, I have been going through my options, with a team of doctors

“We decided to have an operation. I was operated on last week at Tampere University Hospital, in the heart unit there. A wonderful team of doctors, nurses and assistants took care of me. It was open-heart surgery, so I have marks forever on my chest. But the surgery went well.

“We managed to do exactly what we set out to do. We cut out the diseased part of the ascending aorta and put an artificial graft in place. Everything went well. It was obviously a big operation. A couple of days after the operation I was feeling a bit rough, but things have improved a lot since then.

“I'm actually back at home and already recovering. The outlook is quite good. There is an opportunity to make a full recovery and regain full fitness, but of course, only time will tell how it all works out. So far, the estimation is pretty good, so I'm very pleased about it.

“In the meantime, I continue to recover and try to hopefully get out and little by little increase my activities. The main thing is obviously that the chest bone has time to heal. And once all of this is done, if things go well, I hope to be able to return to my normal routines. I hope to see you out soon again.”

Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Oh bless him, I hope he makes a full recovery.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali commenting on racing events at European locations (presumably planned as of 2026 forward):
There will be many grands prix, especially in Europe, where we have different options. It is believed one of those options could be a new scheme in which two or even more European events are rotated annually between single annual race slots.
I am not sure if Italy, Spain, Austria and Hungary have their visits under biding contract, but a contract is just a piece of paper to be thrown out under whatever pretences when convenient. As someone at Liberty said some time ago - sue me, I have money and time (and presumably also friendly inclined lawyers).

I wish I would understand what is Mr. Domenicalli implicating. Sounds like the F1 is planning to hold, in addition to above, a single race in Europe on rotation at three locations. They will probably return to Germany, which will need to share events with other two locations.

Admittedly I am not sure I am interpreting Liberty's plans correctly, but if I have a circus showing up at my doorsteps once every three years, I am not going to invest any money into the empty parking lot for two years, and find another hobby. I am not a marketing guru, but this sounds like a brainchild of someone who thinks "they need us more than we need them", so beg, and we may see if we accomodate you. This kind of plan could backfire. Big time. We have seen this flawed interpretation of human behaviour in another arena, so precedence how people think and behave is there.
Last edited by Aty 3 weeks ago, edited 2 times in total.
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Apparently at the football last night the cameras were trying to show Rnaoldinho, but look who kept getting in the way :haha: :haha:

Well I thought it was funny anyway.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Aty wrote: 3 weeks ago
Admittedly I am not sure I am interpreting Liberty's plans correctly, but if I have a circus showing up at my doorsteps once every three years, I am not going to invest any money into the empty parking lot for two years, and find another hobby. I am not a marketing guru, but this sounds like a brainchild of someone who thinks "they need us more than we need them", so beg, and we may see if we accomodate you. This kind of plan could backfire. Big time. We have seen this flawed interpretation of human behaviour in another arena, so precedence how people think and behave is there.
The cynical side of me identifies many of the European venues perhaps linked into this cycle are nations (I include the UK in this) whose Governments do not fully fund the GPs. Most of the new GPs in the Middle East and Asia, plus other nations trying to join the list are fully funded by their governments or have huge local wealth.

With a maximum number of GPs feasible at lets say 24 if you have 30 nations wanting to or with a history of hosting GPs then commercially Liberty will tke the lets say 20 most lucrative contracts of fees paid annually with the say 10 less lucrative contracts alternating those other 4 GP slots.

To highlight the varying level of contributions we have Azerbaijan paying nearly 60 million per year to host a GP., Saudi, Qatar, Bahrain and others all happy to pay well over 50 million per event. Any new venues are negotiating knowing the price will be. over 50 mill per year. At the other end of the scale you have Monaco, pays just 20 million, Belgium GP 22 million, Imola 21mill, Silverstone and Monza 25 million. Unfortunately for fans its the traditional events that attract the hundreds of thousand fans over a weekend. The 'nouveau' venues couldnt care a toss how many turn up on the day. They dont worry about income from the gate. They just sign the cheques and look good on the world map, often using F1 to mask their dodgy human rights

You get the picture..... one Middle East GP gives more than twice the income than many of the traditional none govt funded events. The rich get looked after with a guaranteed event, the traditional paupers events get the scraps and have to put up with fighting over the cheap seats. Like musical chairs, there will never be enough seats.

At the end of the day Liberty owe it and have an obligation to their shareholders to maximise their income and profit. They dont se themselves as a charity . They are in it to maximise their earning. Sentimentality and tradition doesnt pay the bills.

If you want a list of who pays what to host GPs, and more Liberty related stuff look here (link follows)in the Future GPs / Hosting Fees / Liberty thread. A lis of hosting fees is in the opening post here:. viewtopic.php?t=17911
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Mario Andretti speaks out against more GPs in the US.

Mario oncee again showing his wisdom and knowing the limits.... too much of something is not necessarily a good thing.
Former F1 World Champion Mario Andretti has warned the sport against 'overdoing' it with multiple races in the United States.

The 1978 champion has insisted the current tally of three races - with Las Vegas joining Austin and Miami on the schedule - is the sweet spot.

F1 has experienced a market boom in the US in recent years, with the viewer increase seeing record attendances at the United States Grand Prix at the Circuit of the Americas - a change in fortunes largely credited to Netflix's Drive to Survive docuseries.

But dismissing any chance of a fourth race being added to capitalise on the growth, Andretti told RacingNews365 exclusively: "I mean you can overdo it to some degree.

"As Formula 1, there is no other country on the planet that has three events, so let's be happy with that and make the most of that.

"Don't try to outdo yourself."
. https://racingnews365.com/andretti-warn ... ted-states

Wise words indeed. I hope Liberty take heed of his wisdom. :fingers:

Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

According to this story, the teams are worried about what they will face when they go to the race in China this weekend. It's true, they haven't raced there in a long time and I guess it's inevitable that there could be issues. It will be like going to a brand new track for them in some ways I suppose.

Formula 1 teams are unsure what sort of track they will be competing on at the Chinese Grand Prix, after a wave of repairs have been carried out to fix a problem.

The sport hasn’t raced at the Shanghai International Circuit since 2019, meaning that the current era of ground-effect cars haven't had a chance to be put through their paces at the track.

This era of technical regulations and the close proximity of the cars to the ground has resulted in them being extra sensitive to bumps.

An FIA inspection conducted late last year found that there were a few areas of the circuit that needed to be addressed - made flatter - for racing to be safe.

The lack of recent, relevant data leaves room for plenty of questions for teams - with China’s return being treated like a new event.

Pirelli’s Formula 1 chief engineer Simone Berra discussed the lack of relevant data, and how difficult it makes the task of a return for both tyre supplier and teams.

“It's like a new circuit, honestly,” he told Autosport, who have claimed the 'uncertainty' of the track will cause a problem for outfits up and down the paddock.

“Because we have new cars, new tyres, the 18-inch [rims].

“The track was really not used in five years, it was just used for one race per year or something like that. So, it will be really green and quite dirty, although obviously, they will clean the track.

“In the past, it was quite rough in terms of both micro and macro roughness. We need to understand how ageing has gone in the last years.

“So not much data, and even for the teams it will be a big challenge, not just for us, but for the teams even more probably.”

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10179 ... -shanghai/

Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Heaven forbid that the teams have to think on their feet for once.
Matt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Brawn BGP 001
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve
Favourite Circuit: Old Spa

Post by Matt »

Ferrari have signed a title sponsorship deal with Hewlett Packard that'll start as of now and run for a few years.

I look forward to their cars refusing to work if the drinks bottle is empty even if all of the other fluid containers are completely full.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Matt wrote: 1 week ago Ferrari have signed a title sponsorship deal with Hewlett Packard that'll start as of now and run for a few years.

I look forward to their cars refusing to work if the drinks bottle is empty even if all of the other fluid containers are completely full.
The new Ferrari steering wheel will have CTR, ALT, & DEL buttons so the driver can reset the system while going down the straights.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

F1 CEO in Thailand for grand prix talks
F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali has added Thailand to his travelling itinerary this week.
Yeah, sure. From Tuk Tuk to F1 is natural progression.

Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

Interesting...
https://businessf1magazine.com/april-2024-free-issue/
Allison says Brawn wasted six years taking Formula One up wrong path.
Obsessing with dirty air.
p.7 in the preview

One surprrise after another.