New FIA President

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Mawerick
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Racing Car: AAR Eagle T1G
Favourite Driver: Jim Clark
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps

Post by Mawerick »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years agoThat was my initial thought when I read it last night..... but then realised he must be talking of ability in a disability context (if that makes sense)
That would make sense, except drivers with disabilities were already mentioned as being "promoted" under Jean Todt's rule. I guess he could mention them twice.
"It’s a Mickey Mouse circuit. To have a race at a track like this is an insult to Grand Prix racing."
-Graham Hill commenting the Le Mans Bugatti track

- 2021 Guess The Pole champion! -
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

Mawerick wrote: 2 years ago I sort of agree with what he's saying, except... "regardless of ability"? So you should be able to race even if you have no talent whatsoever?
Motor Racing wouldn’t exist if everybody with questionable talent was excluded from taking part…. Half the F1 grid is made up of people who bought their way up the ladder and honed their craft on that journey.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago No mention of the new FIA VP then...
This is mega cool. Anna Nordqvist, a former co-worker and friend of mine is the new FIA VP. Freaking' awesome.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

John wrote: 2 years ago
DoubleFart wrote: 2 years ago No mention of the new FIA VP then...
This is mega cool. Anna Nordqvist, a former co-worker and friend of mine is the new FIA VP. Freaking' awesome.
Ah, I see the "Ecclestone appointed as FIA VP" was a clickbait headline, which really upset Lewis fans lol.

Sulayem indicated that he would make Fabiana the FIA Vice-President for Sport in South America.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Posted in this thread because it is an issue about the President specifically and the issue didnt warrant its own thread.

I see 'the new(ish) FIA President is under investigation for basically interfering with race results.

In all honesty I am not convinced there was anything that alarming in what happened, and it does seem that the change of the result was as a. direct result of the Aston Martin appeal, and the fact that the subject matter of was a jack touching a car illegally did seem trivial at the time.

Certainly it was an issue that needed clarification..... of that there is no doubt, but equally it was a decision to be made by the appointed stewards without any 'big brother' bullying influences over event decisions.

I honestly have never liked his approach and. mannerisms with several issues and to be honest I am not sure he is or ever was fit for purpose. He comes across as being a bit entitled and meddling in areas which are of no concern to him. Not sure if it is part of him believing things outside his jurisdiction are on his agenda by title.

I do find him prejudiced and judging of things from a Middle Eastern perspective rather than that of the culturally Western World sport (business?) of F1 / Motorsport which in reality he is charged with representing along with non motorsport general automobile issues closer to real life. .

I see his position as being on more of policy and direction, and the responsibility for dealing with one off incidents is not and should not be on his agenda.

One thing for sure the last thing F1 needs now is another scandal. Anyway on to the details of the current controversy.
.FIA president MohammedBen Sulayem investigated for alleged attempt to interfere in F1 race result

The event involved is the 2023 Saudi Arabian GP, where Fernando Alonso finished third on the road before a 10-second penalty for the team touching the car during a penalty stop demoted him to fourth.

However, later the stewards rescinded the penalty, restoring the Aston Martin driver to third in the final results.

According to the BBC, Ben Sulayem is the subject of an investigation after a whistleblower accused him of attempting to interfere with the result by attempting to get Alonso's 10-second penalty overturned.

Ben Sulayem is alleged to have called Sheikh Abdullah bin Hamas bin Isa Al Khalifa, FIA vice-president for sport for the Middle East and North Africa region and a close ally of his, who was present at the race.

The BBC says that the matter is being investigated by the FIA's ethics committee and that a report has been submitted by FIA compliance officer Paolo Basarri, who has been with the organisation since 2017.

At the time, there was no suggestion that there was anything untoward with the change of heart by the stewards.

In fact, the focus was on Aston Martin sporting director Andy Stevenson, who successfully made the team's case in a right of review, and convinced the stewards to change their minds.

It was also seen as a rare example of the stewards accepting new evidence and making a decision that appeared to be logical and fair.

It also led to an FIA investigation that created clarity for the rules related to touching cars at penalty pitstops.

The saga began when Alonso was deemed to have stopped on the grid too far to the side of his painted grid box, a result of extra FIA scrutiny at the time following a 2023 F1 sporting regulation change.

Alonso subsequently had to take a five-second penalty at his pitstop. Mercedes viewed a video of the stop and alerted the FIA to the fact that the rear jack was touching the car.

The FIA looked into the matter via its remote operations centre in Geneva, and the matter went to the stewards.

The stewards were initially led to believe that an earlier meeting of the FIA sporting advisory committee had agreed that jacks could not touch the car during a penalty stop, violating a regulation that says a car "may not be worked on until the car has been stationary for the duration of the penalty."

Alonso was given a 10-second penalty that dropped him from third to fourth. However, Aston Martin requested a right of review.

The AM team was able to demonstrate to the stewards that while the matter had indeed been discussed at the SAC, there was no firm agreement on jacks touching cars being illegal.

Stevenson also showed videos of seven examples of penalty pitstops involving Mercedes, Alpine, AlphaTauri, Haas and McLaren where jacks were touching.

The stewards considered this was new evidence and thus reversed the decision on Alonso's 10-second penalty, and the Spaniard got his third place back.

The change of mind led to some criticism of the FIA because of the apparent confusion over what the regulations said.

The governing body decided to fast-track a review of the events, noting that "consistent with the transparent approach adopted by the FIA, a thorough analysis has been undertaken and conclusions drawn that will help improve the sport."

It added that "the review panel comprised representatives from a number of FIA departments including race control, safety, operations and technical and members of the FIA remote operations centre (ROC)."

Consistent with the decision of the Jeddah stewards the review noted that "this circumstance arose due to a lack of clarity in the wording of the relevant regulations and conflicting precedents, which were exposed by this specific incident.

"The rule itself had been a point of discussion at recent sporting advisory committee meetings, the forum in which the FIA, FOM and all the teams discuss and propose amendments to the F1 sporting regulations for approval and implementation in the FIA F1 World Championship."

After further discussion in the team managers' meeting at the Australian GP new protocols were issued regarding touching cars during penalty stops.

The FIA did not respond to a request for comment when contacted by Autosport.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ben-s ... /10583187/

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

And now, there is a second one. Someone has got it in for him, and rightly so if he's doing the wrong things! Another F1 scandal, it's better than the racing is likely to be. I just wonder, who will be next?
Mohammed Ben Sulayem, president of Formula 1's governing body, allegedly told officials not to certify the Las Vegas circuit for its race last year.

The claim is from the same whistleblower who accused Ben Sulayem of allegedly telling officials to overturn a penalty to Fernando Alonso in Saudi Arabia last year.

The whistleblower says they were told "on behest of the FIA president" to find a way not to pass the circuit safe for racing.

The claim is in a report by the FIA's compliance officer to its ethics committee.

BBC Sport has seen the report.

An FIA spokesperson said: "From a sporting and safety perspective, the Las Vegas circuit approval followed FIA protocol in terms of inspection and certification.

"If you recall, there was a delay in the track being made available for inspection due to ongoing local organiser construction works."

The report quotes the whistleblower saying they were contacted by their manager, "who on behest of the FIA president instructed him to find some concerns to prevent the FIA from certifying the circuit before the weekend of the race".

The compliance report quotes the whistleblower as saying that "the purpose was to find fault with the track in order to withhold the licence".

It adds: "Asked to be more specific, [the whistleblower] said that issues on the circuit were meant to be artificially identified regardless of their actual existence, with the ultimate goal of withholding the licence."

The whistleblower said they tasked an official with performing this task, and named two further officials who were in the room at the time.

BBC Sport is not identifying the people named in the report.

The report adds that officials were "unable to find any concerns with the circuit and therefore certified the circuit fit for the race".

BBC Sport has learned that other officials present at the time have a different recollection of the events from the whistleblower.

It is not clear why Ben Sulayem would wish for FIA officials to refuse to certify the Las Vegas track.

The race was a poster event for F1, and commercial rights holders Liberty Media had invested at least £500m in the event in the hope of using it to promote the sport in the US and across the globe.

But the backdrop to Las Vegas, the penultimate race of last season, was two years of tension between Liberty Media and the FIA, in which Ben Sulayem on numerous occasions was keen to extract more money from F1 for the FIA.

The contract between the two parties sees the commercial rights holder pay the FIA about $40m a year to perform its duties in legislating F1.

A spokesperson for F1 declined to comment.
What happened to disrupt practice in Vegas?

Early on the first day of practice, Carlos Sainz's Ferrari hit a drain that had become dislodged on the Las Vegas Strip, the centrepiece of the track.

The incident destroyed his Ferrari's chassis and led to the cancellation of the first practice session and a delay to the second one.

The session had been due to start ay midnight. Spectators were sent home at 01:30, before the second session started. It eventually started two and a half hours late and finished at 04:00.

The drain problems were caused by the underground frame beneath the cover becoming cracked, possibly by the forces from cars or Sainz's Ferrari hitting it.

The bolts attaching the cover to the drain were intact and it was established no inspection would have found the problem before practice started.

All grands prix are subject to an FIA report after the event that identifies issues which arose and how they might be dealt with.
The context to this situation

The compliance report is the latest in a series of controversies surrounding Ben Sulaymen since he took office in December 2021.

Most recently, Ben Sulayem inserted himself into the controversy surrounding Red Bull team principal Christian Horner.

During last weekend's Bahrain Grand Prix, the FIA was under pressure from Mercedes and McLaren F1 bosses Toto Wolff and Zak Brown to look into the allegations of inappropriate behaviour against Horner, who has denied the claims.

The 50-year-old was the subject of an internal Red Bull inquiry. The company announced last week on the eve of first practice in Bahrain that the complaint had been "dismissed".

According to Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, after Red Bull's three-time champion Max Verstappen twice failed to give Horner unqualified backing in a news conference in Bahrain, Ben Sulayem approached the Dutchman and said he should publicly back his boss.

Verstappen, BBC Sport has been told, responded by saying Ben Sulayem should launch his own inquiry into the matter.

On the same day, Ben Sulayem posted on Instagram a photograph taken at the inauguration of the Bahrain track in 2004 of him sitting next to Prince Andrew. The post has since been deleted.

And during the off-season, the FIA launched a compliance inquiry into Mercedes team principal Wolff and his wife Susie on the basis of claims in a magazine of a conflict of interest.

The inquiry was withdrawn after just two days, following angry interventions from Mercedes, F1 and the other nine teams, who all said they had not made a complaint.

Insiders say that he and/or the FIA may yet face legal action over the intervention.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/68478049
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
White six
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by White six »

This bloke needs to go.

Can't see much evidence against him, but i just don't like him :)
The board equivalent of the Jody scheckter chicane. Fast but pointless
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

This has now become quite laughable.

If you know the background.... briefly info arising that accused the Pres. of trying to influence the outcomes of a couple of things by using his position.

Ben Sulayem had attempted to have a 10-second post-race time penalty for Fernando Alonso quashed in Jeddah last year after Aston Martin was deemed to have worked on his car while serving another penalty.
Ironically, the post-race penalty was rescinded when the team successfully exercised its right of review.

In Las Vegas, allegations were made against Ben Sulayem, claiming he encouraged those inspecting the circuit as part of its homologation to find any fault with it such that it could not be licensed. The homologation was only made official 48 hours or so before P1. The reality is the track probably wasnt up to it given P1 had to be cancelled when the drains came loose. I think the point is he was seen to be acting from a position of spite perhaps against Liberty rather than over the track being fit for purpose. (As it happens it wasnt fifor purpose but thats another story.

When these allegations were made the FIA launched an internal enquiry.

Yes.... the FIA, of which MBS is the big chief, launch an internal investigation into the boss. ...... and guess what. The found no evidence.

So in effect it was a case of MBS orders enquiry to investigate his dodgy behaviour....... and finds himself not guilty! :nuts: :sick:

Surely the correct protocol for the transparency that everyone seems to want displayed in such matters should have seen an external unrelated. independant investigator (a bit like Red Bull did with Horner) to carry out the investigation. Instead a group of MBS underlings who work for him did it and surprise sirprise found he was squeaky clean.

What an absolute mockery. He should be kicked out on the street.

The FIA statement
The independent investigation was carried out into both claims with the procedure overseen by the FIA’s compliance officer and reviewed by a six-person ethics body.

It lasted 30 days and included interviews with 11 witnesses.

“After reviewing the results of the inquiries, the Ethics Committee were unanimous in their determination that there was no evidence to substantiate allegations of interference of any kind involving the FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem,” the FIA statement declared.

“Concerns over potential interference were brought to the attention of the FIA Compliance Officer and subsequently passed to the FIA Ethics Committee under Article 32.2.5 of the FIA Statutes.

“There followed a robust and wide-ranging independent review spanning 30 days, which included interviews with 11 witnesses.

“Allegations against the FIA President were unsubstantiated and strong evidence beyond any reasonable doubt was presented to support the determination of the FIA Ethics Committee.

“The FIA President was cleared of any wrongdoing regarding allegations (i) to have interfered with the Stewards’ decision to reverse an additional penalty on Car 14 following a challenge from the Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant F1 Team at the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2023 and (ii) to have attempted to interfere with the track certification process for the Las Vegas Grand Prix 2023. The certification was completed and approved in due time.

“The President [sic] complete co-operation, transparency, and compliance throughout the process during this investigation was greatly appreciated.”
The crap has already hit the fan over the findings and methods. Suzi (wife of Toto) who was investigated for saying things to Toto he should not have known.

SUSIE WOLFF FILES CRIMINAL COMPLAINT AGAINST FIA
Susie Wolff has filed a criminal complaint against the FIA over allegations made against her at the end of last year.

Full story: https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/susie ... /10589287/

The media is already on to it. It might take some of the heat off Horner this weekend. I doubt MBS will be at Melbourne. :haha:

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

I never rated Jean Todt very highly but things have gone badly downhill since he left and this guy took over.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Yea, Hamilton has joined the fray, completely supporting Susie Wolff and saying that he has never supported Ben Sulayem.

Link: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... 02aba&ei=7