[IGTC] 2024 Intercontinental GT Challenge Series

WEC, Blancpain, Le Mans Series, Rolex and special events like the Le Mans 24h
theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

Bottom post of the previous page:

2nd through 5th really going at it through the last two turns.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Last lap and Campbell will win likely from Gounon and Haase4th and 5th still close but Evans likely to stay ahead of #46. Behind that the #888 and then the #222

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

#912 Manthey Porsche wins! Campbell goes two for two in endurance races this year.
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Class winners

Background colours above denotes Class

Plain (no colour) are Pro.
Blue is Silver class
Green is Pro-Am
Pink is Invitational
Yellow is GT4.

So class winners are:
(A good day's work for Manthey Porsche) :flag:

GT3 PRO #912 Manthey Porsche. :flag:

PRO AM #911. Manthey Porsche :flag:

SILVER. #93 Wall Racing Lambo :flag:

GT4 #19 Mercedes-AMG GT4 :flag:

Invitational #20. Team T2 IRC GT. :flag:

Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

To me some of the regs they have in place are stifling the event. Actually it is one rule in particular I really dont like. That is the minimum stop time for the routine tyr and fuel pit stops. They have to be stationery for 85 seconds, whether they do a splash and dash, fuel only with no tyres whatever. It stifles any strategic plays and rolling of the dice. Bottom line is it took out strategy risks in an endurance race.... the one type of race that could be so much enhanced by a less restrictive mandate.

For instance early in the race we saw an SC.... before the first stint was even half over. The BMWs pitted to top up with fuel. That put them into an altrnative strategy. They only needed a half tank of fuel to top off yet they had to it there doing nothing for probably 40 seconds. They didnt change rubber that I recall.... new tyres would have had to be warmed up from cold at a time when it was still cool. They rejoined have lost positions even with the fact it was under an SC so not as penalising as a green flag stop with the other cars circulating at race pace.

There was then a further SC and every one came to pitlane, including the BMWs unwilling to stay out and then perhaps have to do a green flag stop 20 laps later. Again they sat and did the top up, then sat and picked their noses for 40 seconds. In effect their risk was not rewarded. They were still on the same strategy as those that had stayed out. It means ll the strategies were mundane and me too. With the maximum stint length of 32 laps that also penalises those that tried to be more efficient. There was no incentive to be efficient.

If there was no minimum stand stil time it would be far more enticing to do short fills. Teams would then have many more strategic options to try something different. It would have added a missing intrigue for those watching to follow.

The other thing is that seeing as you have to stop for so long many bunged a new set of tyres on because they could..... there was no time benefit in not doing so. So the reality is that over the course of a 12 hour race with lets say 28 cars, thats an awful lot of unnecessary tyre use. F1 tries all sorts of alternative ploys just to save a couple of sets of tyres for all the grid to make the carbon footprint smaller and keep the tree huggers happy. The 12 hour was quite the opposite with dozens of sets of unneeded rubber used just for the sake of it. Hardly thinking of the planet and following the eco-friendly alternatives.

Anyway I just wanted to put on record that I think the minimum stop time is a horrible and nasty rule that minimises the enjoyment of fans od endurance racing.... the sort of people that thoroughly enjoy the endless strategic options offers by less restrictive freedoms to look outside the box.

What we saw was quite the opposite, in effect leaving the strategic options box firmly nailed rivetted and sealed tightly shut. Forcing everyone to do the same number of laps and then stop for the exact similar time regardless of efficiences.

A bit like saying to an F1 team, yes wer know you can change a set of tyres in under two seconds, but we want you to all stop for 20 seconds so you can double check this and that. Even if you chose a three stop strategy over a one stopper. It would fast become very boring for competitors and fans alike.

[/rant]

theracer120
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by theracer120 »

A few drivers complained about it as well from what I saw.

I guess they had the rules to give the Pro-Am cars a better chance, but I think there's enough pro cars running now that they don't really have much of a shot regardless.