Madrid street circuit from 2026

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Madrid street circuit from 2026

Post by Circuitmaster »

I know we all groan about new street circuits but.. if they're replacing Catalunya..

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/new- ... y-verdict/

I have to say..the circuit itself doesn't look great for overtaking though

Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Cool. The Spanish GP has long needed change.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Yay, more identikit street circuit BS
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Circuit: Monaco actually

Post by Ruslan »

Are they just adding it to the calendar or are the replacing an existing race?
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Ruslan wrote: 3 months ago Are they just adding it to the calendar or are the replacing an existing race?
It will swap from Barcelona to Madrid in 2026.

Sometimes street circuits are good, only sometimes though. I'll reserve judgement until we see some action here.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

So, it has two tunnels, banked corners, and F1 liken it to Miami. I feel ill. :sick:

The track will be a mixture of street circuit roads through the exhibition building area and a smaller section of permanent track that will be built on adjacent land that has yet to be developed.

The two parts are split by an elevated highway and will be connected by a pair of tunnels that pass underneath it.

F1 compares the hybrid nature of the new venue to Miami, which also features a combination of existing roads and p
Is it a street or permanent circuit?
The circuit will use both public roads and private land, so some sections are set to feel more like a street circuit and others more like a permanent set-up – mirroring what is seen at the Miami International Autodrome, if we take an example from the current F1 calendar.

“It’s in between what you’d consider a normal street track layout and more towards a permanent circuit style layout,” Wilson comments. “A lot of the places will have a temporary circuit-type installation, but then there’s other sections which may look or feel a bit different depending on the final implementation decisions to suit the IFEMA site.”
There is “scope” for the looping Turn 10 righthander to be banked in a similar way to Zandvoort’s final turn. The hope is to create an overtaking opportunity. Discussions are continuing regarding “how banked we make it, what kind of banking and what kind of profile we go for, with a mind to how can we turn Turn 11 and Turn 12 into a potential overtaking action area.”

I find it very ironic that F1 are raving on about how sustainable it all is....
Formula 1 is fully committed to reaching Net Zero Carbon by 2030,” says Domenicali. “And IFEMA MADRID shares our vision and ambition to make the Spanish Grand Prix in Madrid one of the most accessible and sustainable F1 events on the calendar.
.... yet they are saying it will host 140,000 people and it is just a stones throw from an International Airport. So the track area is a sustainable environment , .... but they then say its right next to the airport so people can fly in using jet aircraft ! Maybe they are expecting the 140,000 people to all be locals who will all arrive by eco friendly ways.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Star wrote: 3 months ago
Ruslan wrote: 3 months ago Are they just adding it to the calendar or are the replacing an existing race?
Not so fast...... Domenicali wants both to run.

Madrid’s arrival doesn’t necessarily mean the end for Barcelona
The Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya has been a permanent fixture on the F1 calendar since 1991. With Madrid signing a deal for 2026, it has raised questions about the future of the Barcelona race.

Domenicali says it isn’t necessarily the end of their partnership, especially as Formula 1 is having a resurgence in the country, which currently has two drivers on the grid in the form of Aston Martin’s double world champion Fernando Alonso and Ferrari racer and two-time Grand Prix winner Carlos Sainz.

“For the avoidance of doubt and to clarify here, the fact we are in Madrid is not excluding the fact we could stay in Barcelona for the future,” he says.

“Looking ahead, there are discussions in place to see if we can really extend our collaboration with Barcelona, with whom we have a very good relationship, for the future.”
So we will no doubt end up keeping Catalunya, gaining a crappy street circuit and likely at the expense of Spa or somewhere decent.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

Sometimes street circuits are good, only sometimes though. I'll reserve judgement until we see some action here.
So, two races in Spain it appears. I guess that is a good thing.
XcraigX
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

If there are some decent elevation changes, I'd be willing to give it a chance... But if it ends up like miniMiami or Valencia2.0, I'm gonna yell.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

See Valenica.

Spanish GP tracks tend to be underwhelming as GP tracks go, although there are some decent ones around. Swapping Catalunya for the street circuit isn't much of a loss, if Catalunya stays and we lose a better circuit instead that's another matter.
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

I think losing F1 races are starting to become a blessing in disguise for race tracks. See Sepang. Find your own marquee event. Barcelona should go all in on MotoGP, like also Jerez has done. Get WEC over there for a night race, hell, try to lure Indycar in.

For a classical racing circuit, F1 is not the future. F1 is looking for "events". But I think they are misinterpreting what people are after a lot of the time. I'm all for not having Circuit de Catalunya on the schedule, as it is quite (very) boring, but as F1 are more and more leaning for street circuits, a market could be emerging for more unique "traditional" races in other categories.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

XcraigX wrote: 3 months ago If there are some decent elevation changes, I'd be willing to give it a chance... But if it ends up like miniMiami or Valencia2.0, I'm gonna yell.
Sums up my feelings.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 months ago
Not so fast...... Domenicali wants both to run.

Madrid’s arrival doesn’t necessarily mean the end for Barcelona
The Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya has been a permanent fixture on the F1 calendar since 1991. With Madrid signing a deal for 2026, it has raised questions about the future of the Barcelona race.

Domenicali says it isn’t necessarily the end of their partnership, especially as Formula 1 is having a resurgence in the country, which currently has two drivers on the grid in the form of Aston Martin’s double world champion Fernando Alonso and Ferrari racer and two-time Grand Prix winner Carlos Sainz.

“For the avoidance of doubt and to clarify here, the fact we are in Madrid is not excluding the fact we could stay in Barcelona for the future,” he says.

“Looking ahead, there are discussions in place to see if we can really extend our collaboration with Barcelona, with whom we have a very good relationship, for the future.”
So we will no doubt end up keeping Catalunya, gaining a crappy street circuit and likely at the expense of Spa or somewhere decent.
I stand corrected, I read that it would be swapping from one to the other and it would be the end of Barcelona, clearly what I read differs from what you read. On the other hand, it could be there was mention of wanting to keep Barcelona further down in the long article and I didn't read that far down :whistling: :blush:
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Ruslan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Ruslan »

In the finest traditions of Bernie Ecclestone shaking down governments to pay for grand prixes, the Barcelona city council will be making "extra efforts" to keep the Barcelona on the calendar. They used to provide 3 million euros a year but now provide only half that amount: https://www.grandprix.com/news/barcelon ... -race.html