Michael Schumacher - 10 years on

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Bottom post of the previous page:

XcraigX wrote: 1 year ago
DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago When Lewis had rivals and a comparative car: 1 title out of 7
When Schumacher had rivals and a comparative car: 4 titles out of 8

That's the difference.

And I use rivals plural. As in outside of your teammate.
Thats your opinion.
In 2017 Vettel had more wins than Mika Hakkinen did in 2000. 2018 and 2019 more of the same regarding rival competition. See what @Star posted above. It's very true.
2000 - 4 in 17, but the McLaren took 7/17 and lost one to a track protester. Pretty much 50% for the car. The Ferrari took 10/17, which is 58%, but adjusted for the clear loss at Hock, and it's 53%

2017 - 5 in 20, and the Ferrari managed... 5 in 20. That's 25% for that car. The Merc meanwhile took 12/20, which is 60%.

The difference between the two titles is that the Merc was so good on its good days that Bottas, a Barrichello level driver, took 3 wins (15%) and 6 second places.

Rubens took 1, which was due to the protester, so 6% victory mark.

You cannot say Bottas is better than Rubens.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Driver: Prost, Schumacher, Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife

Post by Aty »

Michael Ferner wrote: 1 year ago Another thing to consider is whether drivers were able to operate their cars themselves without being told what to do and when. Which is why I tend to agree with EB.
Can we ask Rosberg what he thinks about it? Hill could also dribble in with his experience.
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago 2000 - 4 in 17, but the McLaren took 7/17 and lost one to a track protester. Pretty much 50% for the car. The Ferrari took 10/17, which is 58%, but adjusted for the clear loss at Hock, and it's 53%
What actually lost them the race was the safety car and double pit stop and rain vs the opposition staying out and making 1 stop. That has happened to almost everyone.
DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago 2017 - 5 in 20, and the Ferrari managed... 5 in 20. That's 25% for that car. The Merc meanwhile took 12/20, which is 60%.

The difference between the two titles is that the Merc was so good on its good days that Bottas, a Barrichello level driver, took 3 wins (15%) and 6 second places.
Plus you are forgetting that RedBull won 3 races that year.

So that's really 60% vs 58%. Sounds awfully similar to me. This entire argument is just proving the point that @Star is making.
DoubleFart wrote: 1 year ago You cannot say Bottas is better than Rubens.
Never did (but I'm thinking about it now).

Touche my friend!
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

It's true, whether we want to admit it or not, we're all biased by our own personal preference. Anyone who tells you they're not is deluded, we can't help it, it's inbuilt. If you like a driver you're more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt if there's an incedent, if you don't like a driver, you're more inclined to blame them to some degree. It's called being human.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Well today Michael Schumacher turns 54. I am not sure if he's aware enough to know and/or celebrate his birthday but I am sure his family will make the day as special as they can for him.

Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: British Touring Car Championship
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton

Post by Nononsensecapeesh »

At least he's still with us.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Star wrote: 1 year ago Well today Michael Schumacher turns 54. I am not sure if he's aware enough to know and/or celebrate his birthday but I am sure his family will make the day as special as they can for him.
Mick posted a photo of him and his dad on his Instagram to celebrate the occasion. I also hope he was able to enjoy it some way or another.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cm8iSY1pJBF/?hl=en
Nononsensecapeesh wrote: 1 year ago At least he's still with us.
Honest question, if Michael is a vegetable with tubes coming out of him, would you want to see it / hear about it?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

PTRACER wrote: 1 year ago
Star wrote: 1 year ago Well today Michael Schumacher turns 54. I am not sure if he's aware enough to know and/or celebrate his birthday but I am sure his family will make the day as special as they can for him.
Mick posted a photo of him and his dad on his Instagram to celebrate the occasion. I also hope he was able to enjoy it some way or another.
Honest question, if Michael is a vegetable with tubes coming out of him, would you want to see it / hear about it?

Mick posted that same picture on twitter as well. I feel as sorry for Mick and the rest of the family as I do for Michael, maybe more so in some ways. He's got to live with and cope with the way things are now, they have to watch him struggling and potentially suffering. Seeing someone who was so fit and full of life reduced to how he is now, because he's clearly nothing like he used to be, it has to be heartbreaking for them.

@PTRACER I wouldn't want to see Michael in that state. Would I want to hear about it? No, not really, but saying nothing just leaves your imagination running wild. It's like when someone disappears with no word, they just drop out of your life and you're left wondering where they are, if they're alive or dead and what happened to them. I've had it happen with online friends which is bad enough, but it also happened with a cousin of mine. I'd love to know that my friends who disappeared and that he are all safe and well somewhere, the not knowing is what gnaws away at you all the time, no matter how many years it has been.

Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

You need to let go. There's no joy and no sense in not doing it.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Star
Special Member
Special Member

Post by Star »

Michael Ferner wrote: 1 year ago You need to let go. There's no joy and no sense in not doing it.
Oh I don't think about Michael Schumacher all the time and obsess about him, far from it. It's more when the subject comes up and you've got no idea what's really happened to a person like him, you're just left to wonder how they are, what is going on with them and so on. Or maybe that's just me.

Nononsensecapeesh
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: British Touring Car Championship
Favourite Driver: Lewis Hamilton

Post by Nononsensecapeesh »

PTRACER wrote: 1 year ago
No
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

D/T 2023.01.20 | 18:21 (CET)

I've read (long time ago) that Michael was able to watch (some) F1 races, yet following article states that he is in coma.
Contradictions in reporting on his health status?
“Michael Schumacher, he is still in coma, we don’t know what will happen, if some stem cell research will revive him. He is still alive,” it was argued in court by an advocate against a possible law allowing someone to sign a directive to choose to end their own medical treatment.
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1019176/1 ... l-research
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1018639/1 ... m-boss-job
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1009933/1 ... -f1-legend
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by DoubleFart »

I think I posted earlier in this thread about that, where I questioned the definition of watching. There's a big difference between consciously watching and being present whilst the TV is on.

A "friend of a friend of Rolf" said online recently that Rolf told him pre-accident Schumacher is gone, and I think we all know and accept that.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Something a little different from LBC. MSC driven around in an AMG to give him stimulation.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/michael-schu ... ate-brain/

I wondered whether the 10th anniversary would result in actual news but I guess not.

Wonder what he would be doing now if he was healthy?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
Aty
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Aty »

AMuS
Forever Great.