Ken Block killed in snowmobile accident

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

WRC retires #43 for Ken Block

The FIA World Rally Championship has retired the use of #43 for the 2023 season in honour of Ken Block.

I knew he had done 'some' rallies but was surprised to read he made 25 WRC starts, scoring 18 points in WRC between 2007 and his final start in 2018.

He made his debut at Rally Mexico in 2007, going onto record his best result of seventh in the 2013 Mexican rally for his Hoonigan Racing Division team, with Rally Catalunya in 2018 his final WRC event. Mexico 2013 was his final points finish in WRC.

During his WRC career Block usually drove Ford Fiestas and competed under his traditional #43 – a number synonymous with his motorsport ventures. (His final 3 WRC events were in an Impreza not using #43)

His WRC record by event is here https://www.ewrc-results.com/profile/245-ken-block/1

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Block family to make rally return

Lucy Block. pictured here with Michelle Miller, will drive the Ford Fiesta Rally3 with Ken Block’s former co-driver Alex Gelsomino

Lucy and Lia Block will take part in the 2023 Green APU American Rally Association series, with their next event the gravel 100 Acre Wood Rally in Salem, Missouri, on March 17-18.

It will be the first event for the wife and daughter of Ken Block, who died in January this year.

“We’re very pleased to confirm Lucy and Lia Block will enter next month’s 100 Acre Wood Rally. As everyone knows Ken won this event seven times – it’s an event which holds a very special place for all of us,” said team manager Derek Dauncey.

Australian Rhianon Gelsomino will co-drive with 16-year-old Lia Block, while Ken Block’s former co-driver Alex Gelsomino will pair with Lucy Block.

Lucy Block will compete in the Ford Fiesta Rally3 that she drove in 2022. Lia Block will drive an ex-Derik Nelson Subaru BRZ in the L4WD class with Gelsomino, moving to a rear-wheel driver rally car for the first time.

Warren
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Warren »

I don't follow motorsport to any degree these days and find this news incredibly saddening...
What if?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I know a weekend or two ago his youngest daughter, Lia, aged just 16 I believe, ran Ken's Porsche known as Hoonipigasus, in a demo run to close out the Pikes Peak Hillclimb event.....
The Hoonipigasus
Lia, the 16-year-old daughter of racer, stunt driver, and celebrity Ken Block, didn't come to Pikes Peak to watch. She drove her father's last race car, a 1,400-horsepower mid-engine Porsche 911 monster known as the Hoonipigasus, to the top of the mountain in a special exhibition run to close out the 2023 race. Though untimed, Block wasn't on a parade lap. She drove the car hard up the mountain, capping off a weekend of triumphs.The title "King of the Mountain" is bestowed on the overall winner of the race, and this year it went to defending champion and now four-time winner Robin Shute. Everyone in attendance knew, though, that Lia Block was queen of the mountain.
PIcs in this link for the above quote: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023-pi ... o/?slide=1

Unfortunately the coverage of Pikes Peak this year was abysmal, with most of the official stream spent with commentators in a booth talking nothing talk whilst the cars were running in the background, so I found this biton the fmily running there. (Kens wife / Lia's Mum was running also in a Buggy EV.

This shows the launch and lower part of the hill.

This in all it badness is the official film of her run. Have your finger ready on the 5 second jump button to avoid the rubbish (which includes most of the first 5 minutes.

erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 9 months ago Unfortunately the coverage of Pikes Peak this year was abysmal, with most of the official stream spent with commentators in a booth talking nothing talk whilst the cars were running in the background,
Last year is was already bad, very bad. But this year was the final drop.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Shiarlis

Post by Shiarlis »

Scotto has announced one last Gymkhana, Electrikhana 2 filmed in December 2022. Says it took him over 6 months just to be able to look at the footage.