Your experience with VR?

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Your experience with VR?

Post by PTRACER »

My work introduced VR to our office this month as a learning tool and I tried it for the first time (our team is managing the technology as part of our new role).

Even though the main "game" is doing simple things like picking up a spray bottle and putting it in a cabinet it was a lot of fun. Now I'm interested in the Meta Quest 3. Not only for VR games but as an enhancement to Assetto Corsa.

So...anyone tried VR? What games and what did you think of it?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

I've only tried PSVR1, and the experience was mostly positive. The immersion factor is tenfold higher than on a flat screen, especially in first-person perspective games, so racing games, flight/space sims, shooters, boxing games. Racing games and space sims benefit the most since you can look toward the apex and beyond while still initiating a handbrake hairpin turn in Dirt Rally, or stay fixated on an enemy fighter plane the whole time you're rolling or banking your fighter in Star Wars Squadrons.

I've held off on buying the PSVR2 as it doesn't port over the PSVR1 games and, therefore, has a slim library made up of mostly low-budget indie games. Was about to get the Quest 2 for PCVR during a few sales but figured on waiting for the Quest 3 instead, which is out now in some territories.
GrandPrixYannick
Favourite Racing Car: BRM P261
Favourite Driver: Jackie Stewart, Max Verstappen
Favourite Circuit: Spa (the old one)
Car(s) Currently Owned: Renault Megane Coupe

Post by GrandPrixYannick »

I have tried it two times, both at a market in Spain when I was on holiday. It was really cool, but I never got into buying one years later, even though I'm regularly contemplating using it for the modern racing sims and ETS2/ATS. I guess there is some scare of regular screen becoming insufficient in terms.of standards, especially worrying as iirc GPL doesn't support it.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

GrandPrixYannick wrote: 6 months ago I have tried it two times, both at a market in Spain when I was on holiday. It was really cool, but I never got into buying one years later, even though I'm regularly contemplating using it for the modern racing sims and ETS2/ATS. I guess there is some scare of regular screen becoming insufficient in terms.of standards, especially worrying as iirc GPL doesn't support it.
In my opinion GPL could be made VR compatible. It wouldn't be stereoscopic but definitely doable. There is an app called VorpX which makes non-VR games VR compatible. We already have the capability of moving the cockpit cam up/down/left/right either using a mouse or TrackIR. We could just give the VorpX team the memory addresses and perhaps they would do the rest.

Btw what's ETS2/ATS?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

SBan83 wrote: 6 months ago I've only tried PSVR1, and the experience was mostly positive. The immersion factor is tenfold higher than on a flat screen, especially in first-person perspective games, so racing games, flight/space sims, shooters, boxing games. Racing games and space sims benefit the most since you can look toward the apex and beyond while still initiating a handbrake hairpin turn in Dirt Rally, or stay fixated on an enemy fighter plane the whole time you're rolling or banking your fighter in Star Wars Squadrons.
I watched a video of that in work yesterday, it looks awesome. Do you need to have a pair of controllers/joystick that matches the cockpit layout you see in the game though?

GrandPrixYannick

PTRACER wrote: 6 months ago
GrandPrixYannick wrote: 6 months ago I have tried it two times, both at a market in Spain when I was on holiday. It was really cool, but I never got into buying one years later, even though I'm regularly contemplating using it for the modern racing sims and ETS2/ATS. I guess there is some scare of regular screen becoming insufficient in terms.of standards, especially worrying as iirc GPL doesn't support it.
In my opinion GPL could be made VR compatible. It wouldn't be stereoscopic but definitely doable. There is an app called VorpX which makes non-VR games VR compatible. We already have the capability of moving the cockpit cam up/down/left/right either using a mouse or TrackIR. We could just give the VorpX team the memory addresses and perhaps they would do the rest.

Btw what's ETS2/ATS?
Ah, that sounds swell. I'll try to remember that once I got mine.
Still a lot to figure out in whatbis a foreign field for me :)

ETS2/ATS = Euro Truck Simulator 2 / American Truck Simulator
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

The retirement dream is to run Assetto Corsa with the 1920s-30s cars with @Michael Ferner in VR :mrgreen:.

I've tried VR in stand-up situations at places like conventions before, and it was fine. Never in a racing sim. I think I'd be one of those people who need a fan on to avoid motion sickness though.

Wouldn't aim to be ultra competitive (I know I'm not that good to even try), but I would want it to be immersive, and VR would help that I think.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

PTRACER wrote: 6 months ago
SBan83 wrote: 6 months ago I've only tried PSVR1, and the experience was mostly positive. The immersion factor is tenfold higher than on a flat screen, especially in first-person perspective games, so racing games, flight/space sims, shooters, boxing games. Racing games and space sims benefit the most since you can look toward the apex and beyond while still initiating a handbrake hairpin turn in Dirt Rally, or stay fixated on an enemy fighter plane the whole time you're rolling or banking your fighter in Star Wars Squadrons.
I watched a video of that in work yesterday, it looks awesome. Do you need to have a pair of controllers/joystick that matches the cockpit layout you see in the game though?
Not at all, I was sitting on my couch playing with the PS4 controller as my wheel (a G25) is from the PS3 era and doesn't support PS4.
GrandPrixYannick

I have bought me a Meta Quest 3 and did a bit of ATS last evening and had a great time with it.
I love the added immersion, albeit I did also get a tad bit nauseous. The battery life is also not that big so I'll need a cable for doing the long hauls.

Regarding VorpX, I have been reading mixed reviews on this. I have checked the site on compatible games and did not find GPL to be on this list. What also wasn't mentioned earlier was that there is a price tag of about $40 on it, and no free trial on the software to see if it actually works.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

GrandPrixYannick wrote: 5 months ago I have bought me a Meta Quest 3 and did a bit of ATS last evening and had a great time with it.
I love the added immersion, albeit I did also get a tad bit nauseous. The battery life is also not that big so I'll need a cable for doing the long hauls.
Awesome! Did you get the 128GB or 512GB one? Any issues with the controllers like was reported recently? Once they sort those out I'm thinking of getting one for playing AC etc.

In the meantime I have my company's Quest Pro which I can play around with whenever (but probably not take home...)