What is currently the world's greatest motor race?

Current motorsport related news, information and discussion on any series that does not fit in the above or below categories

The world's current greatest motor race?

Monaco Grand Prix
6%
Indy 500
29%
Le Mans 24 Hours
33%
Nurburgring 24 Hours
9%
Bathurst 1000
6%
Daytona 500
6%
The Dakar Rally
3%
Pikes Peak Hillclimb
No votes
Isle Of Man TT
9%
Other
1%

Total votes: 70

Richard_III

Post by Richard_III »

Bottom post of the previous page:

IoM TT

Unspoiled my faceless, multinational conglomerates spending hundreds of millions of pounds, most of the machinery you can buy and ride from your local dealer, normal human beings as competitors (with actual personalities who don’t whine like babies when they don’t win),fans able to mingle with the teams/ riders, fans able to get up close to the action. Everything modern Eff 1 isn’t.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Richard_III wrote: 10 months ago IoM TT

Unspoiled my faceless, multinational conglomerates spending hundreds of millions of pounds, most of the machinery you can buy and ride from your local dealer, normal human beings as competitors (with actual personalities who don’t whine like babies when they don’t win),fans able to mingle with the teams/ riders, fans able to get up close to the action. Everything modern Eff 1 isn’t.
I must admit it has been great to follow and watch the 2023 events over the past days.... to watch the riders (and with the sidecar events the passengers too) it is just another world and the commitment is something else.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

Voted TT. Though motorcycle racing in general has lost a lot of appeal for me since they dropped the two-strokes, but perhaps for this one race it's quite okay - the track is dangerous enough without having to keep two fingers on the clutch!

It used to be the Indy 500, no contest, but I watched a YT video of it this year (only about 20 mins), and it's... Well, it's not what I once thought of it. Which goes for most of motor racing these days. The rest of the list is pretty much off limits because I don't watch touring cars, I don't watch sports cars and I damn sure don't watch rallying. Which leaves Monaco, one of the least interesting races in F1 history. World's greatest? Not even F1's greatest by any stretch of the imagination.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
Richard_III

Post by Richard_III »

Michael Ferner wrote: 10 months ago Which leaves Monaco, one of the least interesting races in F1 history. World's greatest? Not even F1's greatest by any stretch of the imagination.
The Monaco Grand Prix. Motor racing for people who don’t like motor racing. 1982 was good (but only for the last few laps), 1988 was funny to see Senna binning it but every other race is dull, dull, dull. Should have been dropped decades ago.
Michael Ferner
Favourite Racing Car: Miller '122', McLaren M23
Favourite Driver: Billy Winn, Bruce McLaren
Car(s) Currently Owned: None

Post by Michael Ferner »

I'm not even that anti Monaco. There have been decent races, even some good ones - I can live with one such race per year. But to claim that it is something special just because every Vastly Inane Pleb in the world is fawning around the grid is just sad. In motor racing terms, it's a substandard event.
2023 'Guess The Pole' Points & Accuracy Champion

If you don't vote now against fascism, you may never have that chance again...

Ceterum censeo interruptiones essent delendam.
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Michael Ferner wrote: 10 months ago I'm not even that anti Monaco. There have been decent races, even some good ones - I can live with one such race per year. But to claim that it is something special just because every Vastly Inane Pleb in the world is fawning around the grid is just sad. In motor racing terms, it's a substandard event.
1996... heck, 2023.

It was also nice when it was one of the few street circuits on the calendar. It was a different challenge. And it looked good too. You could see out over the Med going towards Portier.

But this year? 7 races in and 5 have been street circuits. Baku's architecture looks identical. And the view over the Mediterranean is now a construction site.

I don't dislike it either. But aside from "history", it offers nothing different these days.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Richard_III

Post by Richard_III »

MonteCristo wrote: 10 months ago
Michael Ferner wrote: 10 months ago I'm not even that anti Monaco. There have been decent races, even some good ones - I can live with one such race per year. But to claim that it is something special just because every Vastly Inane Pleb in the world is fawning around the grid is just sad. In motor racing terms, it's a substandard event.
1996... heck, 2023.

It was also nice when it was one of the few street circuits on the calendar. It was a different challenge. And it looked good too. You could see out over the Med going towards Portier.

But this year? 7 races in and 5 have been street circuits. Baku's architecture looks identical. And the view over the Mediterranean is now a construction site.

I don't dislike it either. But aside from "history", it offers nothing different these days.
In modern Eff1:
Street circuits = Good
Fast circuits = Bad

What could warm the heart of Liberty more than fast cars going very slowly around a street circuit, allowing for plenty of lingering shots of sponsors logos in lovely 4k closeup. Much better than getting a coloured flash on screen as a car barrels through Eau Rouge. Plus, what zelebredee worth their salt wants to stand in a damp Belgian forest when they can be pictured on a yacht with a cocktail in hand in Monaco instead - after all, Eff1 is all about the famous “fans” now, isn’t it??
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

I love the IOM TT. It's an amazing event for all the reasons many of you have cited. However, it's a time trial and not a race. Therefore, it's not in the top spot for me. LeMans.
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
psychedelicguy
Favourite Motorsport: NAscAR
Favourite Driver: Ross Chastain
Favourite Circuit: Talladega

Post by psychedelicguy »

NASCAR bias showing but Daytona 500 consistently has been the greatest race in my book. Some kinda magic always seems to happen,
XcraigX
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34
Favourite Driver: Mario Andretti
Favourite Circuit: Spa-Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: 2014 BMW 328d

Post by XcraigX »

Someone else is trying to answer this in a slightly different way.

What is the greatest single race?
:trophy: 2019 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2021 GTP Accuracy Champion :trophy:
:trophy: 2022 Picks and Predictions Champion :trophy:
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Remember that one well.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always