Running Gpl On Windows 10 Tutorial

Discussion and releases for the 1998 racing simulation by Sierra/Papyrus
ROOKIE4EVER

Running Gpl On Windows 10 Tutorial

Post by ROOKIE4EVER »

Before on a previous forum, for those who might be interested, here's the summary :

Lee200 - 11.10.2018

I recently bought a laptop as a secondary PC for travel. This was my first experience with Windows 10, an ultra wide (1920x1080) screen, and a modern laptop. Running GPL was a primary concern of course. It's taken a lot of work, but thanks to posts here on the forum, I've finally gotten GPL running well. Here are some notes about what it took which might help others if they have a similar laptop.

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 15 which has two graphics processing units (gpu); an integrated Intel ® UHD Graphics 620 and a separate Nvidia GeForce MX150 graphics card gpu. What is cool about this configuration is that the PC always uses the Intel gpu for screen display, but can augment that with the MX150 gpu for 3D processing with programs such as GPL. The PC is considered a "budget" laptop as it costs $600 U.S. and is not intended for heavy gaming.

Here are the steps I needed to run GPL:

A. Windows 10 v1803:

Settings/System/Display/Graphics Settings. Can choose individual programs and then set Graphics Specifications to Power Saving Mode for Intel ® UHD Graphics 620 or High Performance Mode for Nvidia GeForce MX150. I set all GPL mod .exes to use the High Performance mode.
Settings/System/Display/Advanced Scaling Settings. Let Windows Try To Fix Apps So They're Not Blurry--ON. Eliminates nag screen on GPL start.
Settings/System/Focus Assist--OFF.
Settings/System/Notifications & Actions. igfxEM Module--OFF. Eliminates nag screen about Optimal Resolution Notification.
Settings/System/Power & Sleep/Additional Power Settings. Allows Power Plan selection of Balanced or High Performance. Have seen some posts that High Performance is needed to use the MX150 gpu so I selected that.
User Account Control. When set at "default" setting (one notch down), starting GEM+ or GPL Setup Manager causes Windows to ask for permission to run the programs, but GPL itself runs OK when started from GEM+.

B. GPL Menu Displays Using Intel GPU:

GPL Menus are 640x480 resolution and must be upscaled to fill a 1920x1080 resolution screen entirely.
Installed new drivers, v24.20.100.6170, for the Intel gpu which apparently also installed the Intel Graphics app. The original drivers that came with the Acer were generic. The Intel Graphics app (right click on desktop to access) has a Screen Scaling Setting with four options:

1. Maintain Display Scaling--upscales GPL menus and driving and replay screens to fit screen in height, but not width.
2. Maintain Aspect Ratio--upscales GPL menus and driving and replay screens to fit screen in height, but not width.
3. Scale Full Screen--upscales GPL menus to fit the full height and width of the screen. Driving and replay screens are the same and show both black bars. Use this setting.
4. Center Image--runs GPL menus at native 640x480 resolution with no upscaling so are very small.

C. GPL 3D Displays Using Nvidia GPU:

Installed Nvidia Control Panel v8.1.940.0 (right click on desktop to access) by installing Nvidia GeForce Experience. Nvidia drivers are v388.73. This allows three major options all of which cause the MX150 gpu to augment the Intel gpu:

1. Let The 3D Application Decide.
2. Use The Advanced 3D Image Settings. Has a link to set global 3D graphics settings for all programs. Can set to use Nvidia graphics, Integrated graphics, or Auto Select. Can also select and apply unique 3D settings to individual programs which override the global settings. I set the GPL mod .exes to use Nvidia graphics and unique 3D settings.
3. Use My Preference Emphasizing:
A. Performance
B. Balanced
C. Quality

D. Nvidia Card Settings:

I use Stefan's Nvidia settings which pretty much max out the gpu performance (http://srmz.net/inde...=45#entry134359). Graphics quality is excellent and curved objects such as fenders are very smooth.
Get 30 fps at BoG which quickly increases to 36 fps after start with 1967 F1 and Sports Cars. Produces a lot of heat though.

With Direct 3D7v2--Let 3D Application Decide, Use the Advanced 3D Image Settings, and Use My Preference Performance or Quality options all force MX150 gpu usage, but still only uses 5% or 6% of its capacity. Intel gpu does most of the 3D processing at over 50%! Also, fps cycles between 29 to 36 on a regular basis. What would cause this?

With OpenGLv2--all options appear to use the MX150 gpu at 20% and the Intel gpu usage drops to 10%. Also, fps is stable.

Conclusion--OpenGLv2 is the better rasterizer as it uses more of the MX150 gpu capacity and also provides more stable fps.

E. GEM+:

Can select Direct 3D, Open GL, Direct 3Dv2, or Open GLv2 rasterizers.
Rasterizer button allows custom resolution of 1920x1080 to match the screen resolution.
Graphics button resolution is blank with Direct 3Dv1 and both Open GL rasterizers. Initially, can select 1920x1080 resolution only with Direct 3Dv2 rasterizer!

1. Select Direct 3Dv2 or OpenGL v2 rasterizer.
2. Set 1920x1080 in Rasterizer button custom resolution.
3. Select 1920x1080 in the Graphics button for Direct 3Dv2. Cannot select this resolution in OpenGLv2 initially so select 1280x1024 or just leave blank for now.
4. Optional--Select 88 degree FOV for Sports Car mod, 78 degree FOV for others, or set as desired.

F. GPL .EXE File:

If a setting other than 100% is used in the Windows Settings/System/Display/Scale And Layout (Windows recommends 125% for my display), then the player's driving and replay views are distorted. The display will be offset in width and the bottom black bar won't show. Also, round objects such as the steering wheel will be oval shaped.

Here is the fix:
1. Right click mod .exe file
2. Select Properties/Compatibilities
3. Select Override High DPI Scaling Behavior
4. Select Scaling Performed By Application

Do this for each mod .exe, but once done, Windows apparently remembers the setting for subsequent mod .exe rebuilds.
See here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... eea0f45938
https://web.archive.org/web/20171119030 ... opic=11857
https://web.archive.org/web/20220926193 ... opic=11865

A small issue is that the driver position will still be offset slightly from the center of the steering wheel. Perhaps use GPL Shift to adjust view position slightly?

G. GPL:

Select Options/Graphics resolution to 1920x1080 for Direct 3Dv2; 1280x1024 for OpenGLv2 if 1920x1080 is not available. After running GPL with Direct 3Dv2, you can select 1920x1080 with OpenGLv2...weird!

-------------------------------

M Needforspeed

after the step B 3 setting you are using, the black bars are shown. But does the setting in GEM to display GPL with the black bars hidden work ?

Lee200

Yes. If you use my Letterbox patch, then the black bars will be hidden.

Lee200 - 12.10.2018

Others may already have a laptop with a similar configuration.

I've been testing the various settings to get the best possible image quality and fps with various mods. The '67 F1 "mod" always provides 36 fps at all tracks. What is weird is that with the more graphics intensive Sports Car mod, I'm seeing 30 fps at the BOG which quickly goes to 36 fps after race start. This happens at all tracks though...even old tracks where the graphics aren't that great.

What would cause this?

I've read that some laptops throttle the cpu/gpu back under some circumstances...like when the the processor overheats, but I'm seeing this behavior when the PC first starts and the cpu/gpu processors are still cool.

My Acer doesn't have any BIOS settings for controlling throttle backs.

M Needforspeed

The sport car mod cars textures are the more demanding of all the mods, but other than that on my home PC, I experience the same drop in fps at the BOG with this mod, whatever track I select ( Win 7);With quite all the tracks and the others mod, I get 36 fps.

Lee200

That's interesting. Apparently the Sports Car mod cars are much more graphics intensive than the tracks. Before my tests, I assumed that the track graphics would have some effect on fps, but I'm not seeing it with this mod.

I'm still learning how a laptop with two gpus works and have been using Windows 10's Task Manager to monitor the cpu and gpu work loads while GPL is running. What's weird is that at 30 fps, the cpu and both gpus are running at less than 20% capacity. I would have thought that at 30 fps, one of them would be maxed out at 100%. Apparently something else is limiting the fps.

M Needforspeed

Thanks to you for your analysis as you are monitoring the gpu and cpu, which I never did.

What I also remember is the number of cars on the grid incidence on the BOG fps.It was when with Sky at the repository we tested the GPL incidence on the VRAM memory use at Spa67.Afaik, the most demanding GPl track at the BOG.
With the others mod I tested ( never tried with the Can Am 71) at he fps hungry Spa67 track, with 8 AIs or 19 ais on the grid, there was an effect ( 32/33 Fps instead of 36 ).

With the Sport Car Mod, whatever the number of Ais (between 6 or 14, that is the max with the historical mod) I got the same number ( 27/28).
So the fps drop is not so much AI's related.Only a few Ais cars using Sky 1024 X1024 mixed with 2048X2048 skins, and the fps drop to 27.

I have not the knowledge to relate the drop to the high resolution cars skins factor. it is only my observation.

John Woods - 17.10.2018

If you think the grid area at Spa67 is loaded up, for fun try reducing trackside objects in the GPL Menu and get an idea of how loaded up, how complex, and how amazing the work of editors can be. (Warning - track might not load up at all so just keep that in mind if you try).

Evil Fuzzy - 18.12.2018

Everything seems to be running great. I did notice one odd thing that I can't get my head around on the new system: GEM now always rebuilds all the mod exe's, whereas on my previous setup it only rebuilt the exe's that I made changes to.

Hoping to do some laps later. Unfortunately without manual clutch as windows 10 decided not to recognize the clutch pedal of the G27 :(

Lee200

Glad to help...I too notice that GEM+ usually rebuilds the mod .exe even though there hasn't been changes made. It's just a minor bug and we're lucky that GEM+ still works as well as it does considering that it was written in VB6 which now a dead language.

ginetto

To me GEM+ always worked that way; every time I push the green or red button it rewrites all the exes of the mods I 've installed.
This happened a decade ago in XP and still now in win 7

Stuntman Daz - 11.07.2019

Aha, thanks for this. I had to run it in 1280x720 to make it fill the screen properly, but after changing the high DPI setting for every single .exe it now fills the screen properly in 1920x1080

lorenzo - 15.08.2019

One remark for those who want to run GPL on Intel HD GPUs: Use an fps or recording overlay (e.g. FRAPS) in order to be able to run OpenGLV2 rasterizer. There is a thread somewhere here on this. Out of curiosity I tried GPL on my Laptop with Intel HD5500 chipset. It ran only with Direct3DV1 but menu screens were lagging and frame rate was fluctuating a lot. D3DV2 chrashed and OGL V1 and V2 gave black screens although the game was running. With FRAPS (fps overlay must be enabled) it runs with OGLV2 at a rock solid 36fps at back of the grid in Monza. Haven't tried the more demanding tracks yet. I expect not too much at Spa67 or Monacane.

nelson83 - 26.12.2019

Thanks Lee for this very informative tutorial! I recently bought a HP8570 laptop which I run in dual Win10 / Win XP configuration. I have planned to install GPL on the Win XP partition as this seems more easy than on the Win10. Anyway, the screen resolution is 1920 x 1080 so I will also have to make it fill in height with black fields to the sides. Can I use a similar function in XP as described for Win10 in the tutorial, to specify the resolution for a specific program (i.e. GPL)? Many thanks for any advice on this.

Lee200

Yes, XP and 10 share the same methods for setting the driving screen resolution. You'll be able to run 1920x1080 without problem.

dbell84 - 10.11.2020

What is the highest resolution GPL will run? I finally got my pc going again after sitting for a couple of years and I now have a 4K tv. I tried setting my resolution to 3840x2160 in the rasterizer and then picked that in the list in the graphics setting. I got through the gpl menus fine, but when I hit the green button on the track it crashed back to the menu. When I went back to rasterizer and set res to 1920x1080 it worked but I had unstable frame rates and stutters. That may be fixed some when I set profiles in the patch inspector, but I was hoping I could run in higher resolution than 1920x1080.

in case it matters, now running a i5- 3570k, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with 16GB of ram. TV is a Visio 50” m series 4K tv.

Cookie - 11-11.2020

Do you have set OpenGLv2 rasterizer?

Set resolution in game, as the game detects the native res of your monitor.

Brocky05

i'm running 2460x1440 without any problems
i know there are others running higher resolutions like those with 4k monitors and triple monitor setups

dbell84 - 12.11.2020

Thanks for the replies. I’m afraid I’m having the same issues with GPL that I was having a couple of years back before my pc bit the dust. New CPU, motherboard, graphics card, and TV, but same issues. Issues are poor and unstable frame rates with d3d and even worse with ogl, both v2. They came from out of the blue back then, one day it was fine, next day it went to hell. Then my motherboard fried and my pc was unused until I got it going this past weekend.

I suspect a windows update caused it. An earlier update had already caused GPL, rFactor, and P&G to stop working and had to reinstall them. I’m going to save my current GPL folder to an external hd and do a fresh install and go from there. If I need some help later I’ll start a separate thread.

Stefan Roess - 13.11.2020

dbell84 maybe also have a look here:

https://srmz.racesimcentral.net/index.p ... ntry152390

I use a Thrustmaster T500 RS on Windows 10. I run GPL in OpenGL v2.
GPL and modern sims work fine, like Automobilista 2, Assetto Corsa Competizione, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, Dirt Rally 2, ... (I use of course lower graphics settings in game for the new sims on my old system).

M Needforspeed

View Postdbell84, on Nov 12 2020 - 01:43 PM, said:

Thanks for the replies. I’m afraid I’m having the same issues with GPL that I was having a couple of years back before my pc bit the dust. New CPU, motherboard, graphics card, and TV, but same issues. Issues are poor and unstable frame rates with d3d and even worse with ogl, both v2. They came from out of the blue back then, one day it was fine, next day it went to hell. Then my motherboard fried and my pc was unused until I got it going this past weekend.

I suspect a windows update caused it. An earlier update had already caused GPL, rFactor, and P&G to stop working and had to reinstall them. I’m going to save my current GPL folder to an external hd and do a fresh install and go from there. If I need some help later I’ll start a separate thread.

Since you have the same problems as on your old PC, and since no component is the same and you installed new ones, and the operating system is different,wldn't the culprit be your GPL CD...??

Maybe your CD Gpl.exe is corrupted? I tell you this by intuition, maybe it's worth a try.

Do you have the possibility to install GPL from another CD Rom? Do you installed it without using your CD ?

And your power supply ? it could make your PC very unstable and explain these different behaviours at each session

GPL runs very stable here with the most demanding GPL NVidia graphics settings ( for instance, there ain't anymore a difference using V Sync enabled or disabled !! ) , at a very high 7680 X 1440/ 27' / triple screens on Win 10, with a Corsair reliable 750W Power supply .With todays OS and improvement in components, power supply brute power ain't so a key factor and a 600 W but branded can do the job.I had a 850 W on my previous PC.

For the Windows 10 updates that I don't like, but are enabled here, I doubt they can cause such harm...Did you updated the motherboard Bios after an important Windows update ?

Cookie

- how low tech can a PC be to run full grid 69X 60fps at Spa67 ?

Ryzen 3 3200G - 2x4GB DDR4 3200 - GT 1030 2GB DDR5 - Monitor 32' 2560 x 1440 - mint20

59.98 fps without a single frame drop at the full lap.

mcmirande

Did somebody find some way to prevent Windows10 to download unnecessary stuff and doing stupid processor-hungry things while you're racing online?

I have now a fast computer with a Nvidia rtx 2060 so, I'm closer to leave windows, actually :) BUT... Until I could configure my H-shifter on linux, I'll have to wrestle against Windows10

dbell84 - 14.11.2020

I'm so happy!! I got my GPL back! It's been a frustrating day, but it looks like I found my issue.

I started my day by moving my GPL folder to an external hard drive and moving a backup of the 1.08 installer I saved from the last time I had to install GPL to my C:Sierra folder. It was just the base install with no other mods or tracks installed. I started with D3D v2 (@1920x1080) and it was exactly the same, frame rates start in the low 40's and once moving bounce around from the 30's to low 50's with some stuttering. Not good. So I switched to OGL v2, but set it to 3840x2160 in the rasterizer and once in the GPL menu I set it to that in the options menu. It was the same as before, which was even worse than D3D. Frame rate was 5.something in the pits and once moving it went from between 2 to the very low 20's. This is at Kyalami by the way. Then I remembered from searching srmz threads that someone had said using alt+F on OGL can cause frame rate problems. So I ticked that off and turned on my Riva Statistics so I could see frame rates and tried again and now it seems pretty good, frame rate is close to 60 most of time and where there are drops it's only by a couple of frame rates and it's fairly smooth except there is some tearing and I suspect it is causing the frame rate drops. So I exit out of the game back to GEM to tick the VSync box and also have to go to nvidia profile inspector to change VSync from 'force off' to 'let application decide' and went back to start the game again. Then it got weird.

Getting back in the game, the opening GPL menu was fine, but any menu after that was absolutely unreadable. The track picture looked like a Picasso painting and anything with letters looked like dots and dashes.

I couldn't capture with a screen shot so I took a couple of pictures:

And now my OGL was in 1280x1024. Menus were also very sluggish, slow to change and exit out of, even when it worked at first.

So after trying some things and having no luck, I decided to take a break and think on it for a while. I came to the conclusion that whatever was wrong, I didn't think it had to do with GPL as it was the issues were the same in my old GPL folder and the fresh install GPL folder. So I deleted my fresh install folder and moved my old GPL foder back. I then ran Driver Cleaner and got rid of all the nvidia drivers and reinstalled the current drivers. Back to GPL and nothing has changed. I then went into windows settings and opened the display settings. I then checked graphic settings and wasn't much there. I then clicked on advanced display settings and it was then I stumbled onto my issue. It had my resolution set correctly but the refresh rate was set at 30 Hz. I clicked on 'Display adapter properties for Display 1' and it brought up a box. In that was an option for 'List all modes', clicked on that and it brought up a list. My resolution had 5 different Hertz options for 'true color 32bit, 30HZ,which it was set at, the rest were 29 Hz, 24 Hz, 23 Hz, and 60 Hz. I switched to 60 HZ, applied the change and went back to GPL. BINGO! Ran GPL with D3D V2 and it was running buttery smooth at 60 fps just like it always used to.. OGL hadn't changed as the menus were still a mess.

So while I can't run 3840x2160 with D3D, running 1920x1080 at 60 fps smoothly is good enough for me right now. Truth is I've always been an odd ball in that D3D has always worked well with me an nvidia cards where as when I've tried OGL it's never been as good with fps or performance.

I don't know how it switched display to 30 Hz at some point. I know I never did as I didn't even know that this list was there until I found it today.

Thanks for the help Cookie and Michel and a special thanks to Stefan for his install guide and his settings with the nvidia profile inspector. They have been most helpful!

And now I will spend the weekend driving GPL for the first time in over 2 years.

M Needforspeed

What I can say is on my install, GPL detect automatically the resolution displayed without any need to set it in the GEM rasterizer OGL menus setting. The first time I entered GPL with the triple screens, I had only to scrolldown the GPL reso in the menu, and select 7680 X1440 .

GEM and GPL menus display at 2560 X 1440 on the center monitor, and when I click to enter the session, it switches on the 3 monitors.

dbell84

M Needforspeed, on Nov 14 2020 - 03:41 AM, said:

dbell84,

thks for detailing your process to get rid of your low fps bugs

What I can say is on my install, GPL detect automatically the resolution displayed without any need to set it in the GEM rasterizer OGL menus setting. The first time I entered GPL with the triple screens, I had only to scrolldown the GPL reso in the menu, and select 7680 X1440 .

GEM and GPL menus display at 2560 X 1440 on the center monitor, and when I click to enter the session, it switches on the 3 monitors.

That's what I don't understand about what I went through with OGL. I set the resolution (3840x2160) in the rasterizer and found it in the GPL menu, I didn't try your way, so I don't know if that would've worked. It wasn't listed in the graphic section of GEM, just blank there and I left it that way. I saw the trick that Lee had mentioned in his tutorial in this thread that if you set it up and run it in D3D, then OGL will show it. Since D3D won't run that resolution, then that trick won't work. But what I don't understand is why it switched to 1280x1024. I couldn't get it to go blank like it was originally and with the menus useless, I couldn't go there. And why were the menus good at first and then went to what my pictures show, I don't know. Was it because it had switched to 1280x1024?

Cookie, thanks for the suggestion on nvidia drivers. I'll have a look at some point to see if I can find drivers that support OGL better.

dbell84 - 15.11.2020

It was RivaTuner that caused my menus to go wonky. Once I turned that off, the menus went back to normal.

Also a little update from what M Needforspeed told me in his post # 37:

What I can say is on my install, GPL detect automatically the resolution displayed without any need to set it in the GEM rasterizer OGL menus setting. The first time I entered GPL with the triple screens, I had only to scrolldown the GPL reso in the menu, and select 7680 X1440

This does not work for me. I set up OGL in the 66 mod and if I don't put the resolution in the rasterizer, then it doesn't have it in the GPL menu.

Thank you Lee for this piece of information in your tutorial!

If a setting other than 100% is used in the Windows Settings/System/Display/Scale And Layout (Windows recommends 125% for my display), then the player's driving and replay views are distorted. The display will be offset in width and the bottom black bar won't show. Also, round objects such as the steering wheel will be oval shaped.

Here is the fix:
1. Right click mod .exe file
2. Select Properties/Compatibilities
3. Select Override High DPI Scaling Behavior
4. Select Scaling Performed By Application

I never would've figured that out on my own.

Pelle_B - 13-14.12.2020

GPL & Logitech G25/27

I have tried everything & have given up with the G27 (the 6 buttons on the steering wheel)
Now I want to hear, has anyone at all made it work on a fully updated Win10 Pro?

It went completely wrong already with Anniversary update (1507? several years ago). After several Win10 updates it worked again & more than a year ago came another update that ruined it all. With each new update (now 20H2) I have with a little hope installed Logitech Gaming software again with the same result, no pedals + the bottom 4 buttons are dead.

In Logitech Game Profiler everything works perfectly (even the 4 recorded buttons), but when GPL is started everything goes wrong, no pedals + no reaction from the last 4 buttons. Goes in 'job list' closes Gaming Profiler, starts GPL again & it works, but lacks the 4 buttons. :angry:

snafu

Hi Pelle,
Could you use something like "Joy2Key" ( https://joytokey.net/en/ )

1st started using it when my screen kept going blank during the game (Not ideal). :swear: So I added a mouse click command to my throttle.

Perhaps you could use it to assign keys to the wheel buttons?

voda1

Pelle_B, on Dec 13 2020 - 03:40 PM, said:

GPL & Logitech G25/27

I have tried everything & have given up with the G27 (the 6 buttons on the steering wheel)
Now I want to hear, has anyone at all made it work on a fully updated Win10 Pro?

Have you tried compatibility mode?

Pelle_B

Hey snafu & voda1

Installed JoyToKey without success (maybe me who didn't manage to activate buttons)...but discovered a funny thing when I opened G27 properties in this program (Pic 1)
Usually it looks like on Pic2.
Pic3 in properties, here I discovered there is both a USB & a USB (HID)? Tried to remove one of them, coming back after a PC restart.

LWEMon.exe, with this tip...my luck ended after a Win10 update, maybe the beginning of 2019.

Pelle_B - 05.01.2021

Come to think of one thing (had totally forgotten), this is a new install from 2019 (fully updated) of Win10 x64 on an M2 & has never made it work with pedals + the 4 buttons. What could I be missing from earlier?

DirectX? Installed SDK from 2010 & did it all over again, compatible & more...without success. If I want pedals to work, Logitech software needs to be uninstalled.

Cookie

Just turned on my W10 to look for the G27 driver: LGS_9.00.42_x64_Logitech.exe

Pelle_B - 06.01.2021

Where to find: LGS_9.00.42_x64_Logitech.exe ?

edit : Incredibly different settings we use, but yours works

Now something new happened from Ring Night. Without Logitech software installed, my steering wheel is strangely loose. Installed Logitech again (still no pedals in GPL) but closes Logitech Profiler & my steering wheel is normally in GPL.

No issues in GT Legends & installed Wreckfest with no probs...mostly because I'm going crazy with these issues in GPL

Cookie

I use the FFB2 patch of brr to have the best feeling - get it here at SRMZ.
in the readme brr describes how to set the G25/27 - so I made my settings.

In W10 make shure that W10 does not automatic searches for new device drivers! You have to switch it off!
I learned this when I installed my old HD 6870 GPU with the best AMD 15.7.1 driver and W10 just "updated" it with a not working beta driver...

LGS_9.00.42_x64_Logitech.exe :

https://www.driverscloud.com/en/service ... ogitechexe
https://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.ph ... code=57390

Tobodestroyer2020 - 11.02.2021

The only thing that stops me moving to Linux is lack of H_Shifter support.