Toughest sim racing tracks

Discuss everything from the latest motor racing sims, to the oldest arcade racing games, whatever takes your fancy!
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Toughest sim racing tracks

Post by PTRACER »

Although people might think it's the Nürburgring, I'm so familiar with that now, I don't find it difficult.

One of the hardest tracks I am finding to learn is actually...Sebring!

What about everyone else?
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

Bathurst for me.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

The flatter the circuit is, the longer it takes to learn for me. Sebring is quite tricky in that way, but I've always liked the track. COTA was hell when I was on iRacing, but that was a track I didn't like. "Tough" should mean rewarding also, so that would in the end for me mean Bathurst. Very difficult to get right, but very rewarding when you do get it right.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
Puhis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, Rallying
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 79
Favourite Driver: Mika Häkkinen
Favourite Circuit: Nürburgring
Car(s) Currently Owned: -

Post by Puhis »

COTA is hell, yeah. Never bothered to learn it properly. Bathurst is a good example, Nordschleife is always tough but also rewarding, yet I've done enough laps there to no longer really find it exceptionally difficult - if anything, it's a place I thrive in!

As for an actual answer... I would say Mid-Ohio.
"When you put the car into the wall, you have made some mistake before it's in the wall."

-Tapani Linnaluoto, my commentary partner during a Classic Lotus Grand Prix race at Watkins Glen.
SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

Cadwell Park and Macau in Ride 3. Never driven either track in a car sim, but on a bike, I found it to be one of the toughest two tracks to achieve any degree of consistency on.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Old Spa in GPL. Sure you could motor around it lap after lap but you'd be slow. If you wanted to be fast you had to nail all those tricky, lethal corners and carry the speed with you. Any minor off and you'd be toast.

Also Zandvoort and Rouen in GPL were absolutely bitches.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Ian-S
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Ian-S »

I never managed a lap on the Nürburgring so I guess it's that one lol.
I am very sorry if you find my posts long and boring, I like to type and often go off on a tangent.
If this is the case, you may click here to solve the problem, or alternatively here too.
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

John wrote: 4 years ago Old Spa in GPL. Sure you could motor around it lap after lap but you'd be slow. If you wanted to be fast you had to nail all those tricky, lethal corners and carry the speed with you. Any minor off and you'd be toast.
I can remember Brian Redman saying the same. To be competitive at Spa you have to nail every corner at the right speed and get a very precise exit. Because you carry the exit speed all along the next straight.
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
Michkov
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Michkov »

Silverstone, the 1960s version, for such a simple layout I cant seem to get the hang of it.
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Michkov wrote: 4 years ago Silverstone, the 1960s version, for such a simple layout I cant seem to get the hang of it.
In GPL especially, those kerbs were crazy. I find it easier in Project Cars 2.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
acerogers58
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by acerogers58 »

Road courses for mine is probably Bathurst and Spa, Charlotte Roval is a bit of a pain too only because it's new.

Ovals I'd say Martinsville, always in heavy traffic and no banking in corners, very easy to overdrive. Darlington is completely unique and very hard to pass in the corners
MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Rouen is a nightmare.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

Post by PTRACER »

Responding to the above, GPL Silverstone is easy - I went negative in GPLRank with a keyboard about 15 years ago and I'm a few seconds faster than that with the wheel. Assetto Corsa version is a nightmare though, I feel lost on the way into every corner. It's due to the nature of the track, I feel the same about Sebring - particularly the first and last turn. It's difficult to know when or where to brake because the available racing surface is huge.

I agree about Rouen though. Took me ages to go negative there and I thought I was driving out of my skin.

Oddly Martinsville was my best NASCAR circuit. I can't remember if I won there in V8T, but I seem to do really well on ovals like that. Dover was another.

I need to try COTA in a proper sim, I only raced it in F1 2012 with a controller IIRC.
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Of the F1 games, which are the only ones I play), I am still struggling with Azerbaijan and Singapore. I think that using a controller is holding me back, as is the fact I haven't played these before having not had F1 games in years.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
M Needforspeed
Car(s) Currently Owned: Alfa Romeo Gilietta Spider - Alfa R

Post by M Needforspeed »

playing only GPL, one track where I am holding my breath and that is imo harder than the Nurburgring because difficult sections come to you more often, is MOSPORT I remember on the GPL Trackdatabase, the right comment : "Harder than it looks, a lot " ; How is it true, to me a lot harder than Rouen. You never feel you can relax, here, two hard blind corners and a blind jump followed by a tricky right hander where a lot of speed is mandatory to put a good lap time. Moss corner double right hander is a Russian Roulette, lap after lap

... but this track is rarely on the light, and has never been discussed often at SRMZ.