The Definitive "Best F1 Race Ever" Thread (26 out of 25 entries)

Racing events, drivers, cars or anything else from the past.
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 49
Favourite Driver: Gilles Villeneuve, James Hunt
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X JDM

The Definitive "Best F1 Race Ever" Thread (26 out of 25 entries)

Post by PTRACER »

Okay, here are the rules:

1. You must have watched this race somehow. E.g. Please do not vote 1957 Nürburgring unless you were there or watched the actual TV broadcast. Preferably we should stick to races we saw within our lifetimes.
2. Choose your Top 3 and put them in order.
3. For each entry, 3 points, 2 points and 1 point will be awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place on your list.
4. At the end, I will tally up the points.
5. The points will be tallied once we receive at least 25 separate entries. If that somehow happens quickly, I will increase that number to 50 :sly:

I will list up to 10 or so races from each decade, starting from the 1970s up to 2020s. You can choose from the list below or add your own:

1970s
1970 Monaco
1971 Netherlands
1971 Italy
1973 Great Britain
1975 Great Britain
1976 Japan
1978 South Africa
1979 France
1979 Netherlands
1980s
1981 Spain
1982 Monaco
1983 USA (Long Beach)
1984 Monaco
1984 USA (Dallas)
1985 Portugal
1986 Australia
1987 Silverstone
1988 Hungary
1989 Japan
1990s.
1990 Mexico
1991 Belgium
1992 Monaco
1993 Europe (Donington)
1994 Japan
1995 Europe (Nurburgring)
1996 Monaco
1997 Europe (Jerez)
1998 Belgium
1999 Europe (Nurburgring)
2000s.
2000 Germany
2001 Malaysia
2003 Brazil
2005 Japan
2006 Hungary
2007 Europe (Nurburgring)
2007 Canada
2008 Monaco
2008 Canada
2008 Brazil
2009 Australia
2010 and 2020s.
2011 Canada
2012 Europe (Valencia)
2014 Bahrain
2015 USA
2016 Brazil
2017 Azerbaijan
2019 Germany
2019 Austria
2019 Brazil
2020 Austria
2021 Russia
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

King of the Race Track, Destroyer of Tyres, Breaker of Lap Records
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

My Top 3
1st - Spa 1998
2nd - Canada 2011
3rd - Nürburgring 1999
Developer of the 1967v3 Historic Mod for Grand Prix Legends: viewtopic.php?t=17429

EB
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by EB »

I trust in 1984 you meant Dallas instead of Detroit in your 1980s memory jogger list!
Cheeveer
Favourite Racing Car: Panoz GTR1
Favourite Driver: Alex Zanardi
Favourite Circuit: Bathurst

Post by Cheeveer »

Okay, so when is the deadline? I need to give this some thought.
***Some say you should live each day like it was your last... but who wants to live each day in wild panic and extreme death anxiety?

The universe, look at the hugeness of it... it is a dizzying thought that little ol' me is the centre of it all!***
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

1. '71 Italy. Is there a question? :nah: When else have the top 4 finished within .18 sec. (5th only .43 further back)??? :shocked:

2. '70 Monaco. I'm biased, Jim gone, Lotus my team. Jochen's pursuit, flinging his '49 guardrail to guardrail, fastest lap after fastest lap; the best on lap 80, the last, old tires and all, .9 sec. faster than anyone else.....breathtaking!!! :omg:

3. '83 USA. Watson & Lauda (McL), starting from way back on the grid (22nd & 23rd) to 1st and 2nd. 'Not either's greatest fan, but McL was only 5th for the season. Credit where credit is due. :smiley:

In actuality, I had a hard time coming up with three, ('79 France right there for that brief side by side), but they're the only ones that r-e-a-l-l-y stand out in me head....:wow:
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
PTRACER
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by PTRACER »

EB wrote: 2 years ago I trust in 1984 you meant Dallas instead of Detroit in your 1980s memory jogger list!
Indeed! :blush:
Cheeveer wrote: 2 years ago Okay, so when is the deadline? I need to give this some thought.
No deadline.

Once we have 25 entries I will tally the results up. Then again when we have 50 I'll do it again.

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

1. 1998 Belgian GP
2. 1999 European GP
3. 2002 Australian GP

And I want to say Monaco 1982. And Monaco 1996.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

1. 1976 British Grand Prix

2. 2005 Japanese Grand Prix

3. 1998 Belgian Grand Prix

Monaco 2005 again was a favourite as well. Oh and Monaco 1984.... and wanting Bellof to beat both Senna and Prost.

I have to say my reasons for putting 1976 Brands in first place are maybe not for the race itself, but more for the memories of the weekend I have. I wrote about it here before but for those new or missed it etc here FWIW is my account of that day.... Best ever race, probably not but certainly one of my best ever race weekends spectating.
I was with a group of other mates and we had turned up in an old transit van which we parked in the field behind Paddock Hill Bend at Brands Hatch for the British GP....we used to set up and build our own grandstand from scaffolding and lie planks along the top and sit up in the top. We used to use the same set up for Silverstone but on the entry to Abbey when it was a real corner.....right where Barry Sheene had his 'biggie'.

We decided to pitch far enough round to be able to see up to Druids as well so we were on a bit of a slope. We used to go the Thursday or Friday night before to set up and ensure we got a good spot.

Rif raf with their 44 gallon drums and planks looked on in awe as we assembled this 'thing' which was more built more on the 'She'll be right' principle of max people, beer space, and 'effect', than to a plan........ and would be built to how 5 pissed idiot teenagers, who had been released from home for the weekend, would build it.

Each of us remembered how we did it the year before differently. It got modified between support races on Saturday.........By Saturday night we had a perfect errection!

We were, by racetime in a sea of people, sat up in our 'corporate suite'. We had a few extra guests who we had invited....... basically it was the best 'pulling' device a guy could have.(for pulling babes not the other type of pulling teenage boys do....) Anyway as the cars were lined up on the straight ....all the sirens were going - 10 mins, 5 mins before the warm up, a few guys just started climbing on for a better view. We all of course had the top row of seats( the plank ) with enough beer for us not to need to come down for more. We hadnt actually thought about the increasing need for somewhere to put the used stuff without getting down. ......

We had a really excellent view and could see the cars coming over the crest into Paddock Hill Bend and all the way up to Druids and were back about 20metres from the fence.

People were asking to come up on our scaffolding, and the answer to those that asked that was basically dependant on bust size! Others just climbed on. It was seriously overloaded but common sense was not part of our judgement skills in those days.

I was a fanatic Lauda supporter from when I saw him race a Marlboro BRM V12, also at Brands a couple of years before.. He was on pole, albeit in a Ferrari by then. All my mates were much more patriotic and followed James Hunt, alongside on the front row..... They were also 1st and 2nd in the WDC although Niki was doing it pretty easy.

As Niki led the field away on the warm up and into Paddock I was the idiot standing up on my 'podium' going WOOHOOO so loud when Niki went past I swear he looked at me as he came down the hill before weaving off up the hill. I sat down again when about 1000 people turned and looked at me. And I thought they were all so f****n jealous !

You could hear the cars going out round the back of Hawthorns towards Dingle Dell. In fact Hawthorn is a short sprint from Druids when you are keen. (No monster plasma screens in those days) .

Anyway the cars were all lining up on the grid, just out of sight, in the dip of pit straight. This seemed to start a flurry of people climbing up and hanging off 'our' stand. It had suddenly become a tower of people! What the hell....we were all furiously sucking on our beers and Marlboro or John Player Special promotional sample ciggy packs that the promo girls handed out. We had swapped a couple of light ales for a bundle of extra ciggies from one of the girls. It was cool to smoke in those days. I was trying to adjust the lens and settings on my camera and was oblivious to many of the extras.

The revs screamed and the race started ..........woohoo two Ferraris came into sight. Regga had started brilliantly from the second row to be on the outside of Niki going round the start of Paddock. Hunt tucked in behind. Almost straightaway though Niki and Clay were wheel to wheel. Niki won the 'touch up' and carried on up the hill, but the Camber of Paddock was against Regga etc and he lost it in a half spin. James was right behind, and just clipped Clay as he passed. James car flipped right up onto 2 wheels. He was so close to flipping over.

At that moment I was half standing on the platform, on the point of getting the best picture of my life..........

All of a sudden the people hanging off our stand plus everyone else all lurched and leant forward to see the action that was developing, and almost in slow motion this tower surrounded by a sea of people, overbalanced as one of scaffolding clamps slipped and gravity did its thing.....

We all just crashed and fell, bottles exploding, cans flying everywhere, not to mention people shouting and swearing, bodies tangled like a giant game of Twister. I cant really remember more of the incident with James. The race was red flagged.... While they were rebuilding race cars we were all laughing, arguing, apologising, and drinking. How no one got hurt I dont know. Well I know why I didnt. I landed on someone. Probably someone with big boobs.

We started straight away to rebuild it much to a few peoples dismay. We decided to make it smaller, otherwise it wasnt going to happen. We could hardly stand let alone build. Some guy who we had squashed before seemed to want to help so we handed responsibility to him. He seemed to know about these things so we let him be project leader.

Within 5 minutes we had the best half as high and still high enough looking stand you could ask for. We gave the guy beer and a seat of honour! If he was game to sit in/on it so were we!

We were sort of busy rebuilding and generally talking more of our exploits as the race was on pause. The rest of the race all I remember is Regga and Laffite (the other two apart from Hunt that used spare cars at the restart) retired. At that point i think the word was James was trying to use a spare car rather than the original, repaired. Once the race restarted I do remember Niki was doing most of the race easy, until he slowed with I think a gear change/ linkage problem and Hunt passed and went on to win. And then he didnt!

I believe actually that this was the catalyst to the rule which calls for a red flagged race to be called the lap prior......... that was ultimately a Bernie Loophole to allow cars damaged in a start incident that sparked a red flag, to be able to start...ie dont diminish the spectacle unless its a last resort!...... if James had not taken part in the restart of the British Grand Prix.......... well it would take a braver man than me (gung-a-din) to go and tell the crowd that!
Well I guess that is my account of the 1976 British Grand Prix . Sorry if I have lowered the tone of the vote, but even if I cant really remember why, it was my favourite race.

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Star
Special Member
Special Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1
Favourite Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Favourite Circuit: Spa

Post by Star »

Okay, I'll give this a whirl. These may not be everyone's idea of great races but they are the ones I enjoyed most for my own personal reasons.

1st Spa 1998

2nd Hungary 1997

3rd Abu Dhabi 2010 (mostly Seb's reaction to being world champion if I'm honest after a tough race)

I will admit Abu Dhabi 2016 almost made my list but, not quite.
Just so you know, I am a woman

2022 Guess The Pole Champion!
sadsac
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: all of them
Favourite Racing Car: 1990 Ferrari 640 F1
Favourite Driver: Ayrton Senna
Favourite Circuit: Spa
Car(s) Currently Owned: Seat Arona FR ,Skoda Fabia VRS

Post by sadsac »

1st = 98 Belgium Gp
2nd = 92 Monaco Gp
3rd = 2005 Japanese Gp
jimclark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Favourite Motorsport: auto racing (just about all)
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus49B
Favourite Driver: Hafta' ask??? Aie yi-yi...
Favourite Circuit: Bridgehampton, NY; 'golf course now

Post by jimclark »

Everso Biggyballies wrote: 2 years ago By Saturday night we had a perfect errection!
Heck, I haven't had one since about that time......... :whistling:

Oh. :blush:..........you're talking about a campsite.......... Image
Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end.....

jimclark
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I think I've reduced my choices to a shortlist of 6 right now.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Picci
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula One
Favourite Racing Car: Ferrari
Favourite Driver: Kimi Raikkonen
Favourite Circuit: Spa Francorchamps
Car(s) Currently Owned: Honda Fit

Post by Picci »

Oof tough one.

1. Nurburgring 1999
2. Brazil 2007
3. Spa 1998
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

1. Europe 1999
2. USA East 1982
3. Canada 2011
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
JBT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Favourite Racing Car: Lotus 98T, Porsche 917
Favourite Driver: Nigel Mansell
Favourite Circuit: Brands Hatch
Car(s) Currently Owned: Alfa 156 V6

Post by JBT »

1. Australia 1986. The first race I watched all of on TV (pretty sure it was the BBC's lunchtime re-showing though). Pure drama, ultra powerful cars that needed to be manhandled, colour and spectacle. Probably all downhill since then!

2. Monaco 1992. Yes it was fairly standard Monaco fare until the end and in hindsight Nigel was never going to pass Ayrton, but with Red 5 there was always the chance. Always. Also up there for me because it was the last race I watched with my dad (in fact at the hospital with him).

3. Mexico 1990. Prost masterclass, Berger patents what the kids these days call 'a send' and the 'tache keeps his foot in and send Murray Walkers voice into the stratosphere.

I've just realised all the above races feature Mansell, for which I make no apologies! Also that the newest race is nearly 30 years old... Shout out to Canada 2011 as well though. It even allowed me to go to the chip shop and back before the race restarted 😎
"I decided i was going to go into it flat, so i did" Nigel Mansell, 1990 Mexican GP