The third Italian GP only this time @ Imola (The Emily Romanoff GP)

Current Formula One related news, information and discussion.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Anything that goes left and right.
Favourite Racing Car: Too Many to mention
Favourite Driver: Kimi,Niki,Jim(none called Michael)
Favourite Circuit: Nordschleife, Spa, Mt Panorama.
Car(s) Currently Owned: Audi SQ5 3.0L V6 TwinTurbo
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

Post by Everso Biggyballies »

Bottom post of the previous page:

Just remembered 1991 when in the wet race Prost and Berger went off on the warm up lap. And JJ Lehto got the Scandinavians excited by finishing on the podium in his Dallara.

Actually I didnt remember but rather got reminded by this video of 10 Imola moments on this link. I do remember well now seeing them go off on the warmup lap.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... jihjB.html

* I started life with nothing, and still have most of it left

“Good drivers have dead flies on the side windows!” (Walter Röhrl)

* I married Miss Right. Just didn't know her first name was Always
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1
Favourite Racing Car: MP4/13 ; F40
Favourite Driver: M. Hakkinen
Favourite Circuit: Some shitty street circuit
Car(s) Currently Owned: VW Golf GTI

Post by Antonov »

Picci wrote: 3 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago
Everso Biggyballies wrote: 3 years ago
PTRACER wrote: 3 years ago Actually I struggle to remember any races at Imola in depth as well...Hakkinen crashing in 1999 maybe? My overriding memory is the same as what someone else said, ITV cutting to the ads with 4 laps to go during a nailbiting finish.
Its a bit of a sad reflection on Imola races when many of us remember what we did not see rather than what we did see! :down:
I think it is better to say that Imola’s best period was well before I started watching, or was even alive. That is to say the 1980s up until about 1990-1.

Since the late 90s the circuit has seemed too narrow and twisty, although maybe it is better now since the layout was revised again? I’ll be fascinated to see what 2020 F1 cars are like there anyway.
How can one forget the “OOOOHH AND OFF OFF OFF OFF...GOES MIKA HAKKINEN” moment!
Italy was not kind to Mika in 1999.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member
Location: Just moved 3 klms further away so now 11 klms from Albert Park, Melbourne.

A bit about the track for this weekend

As we know the narrow, anti-clockwise circuit has been modernised since it was last used for a Grand Prix, and AlphaTauri actually used it for a pre-2020 season filming day recently. The final Variante Bassa (thanks @Vassago) chicane is gone, and the long straight heading into Tamburello is now split, with two right-hand corners added in between.

Circuit run-off has been expanded at Variante Alta, and new pit garages contrast with the old tower overlooking the previous start-finish complex. The circuit has also been re-surfaced since the last Grand Prix in 2006, making for a smoother ride. However, the surface is still bumpy and with large kerbs, meaning some extra stress on the tyres and drivers.

Hopefully the kerbs will help sort out the track limits this weekend after last weeks nonsense.

The black round things from Pirelli.

Pirelli will bring C2, C3 and C4 tyres to the 13th round of the season – one step softer than at those used at Portimao last week, with their head of F1 and car racing Mario Isola explaining that the two-day format and tricky layout have played a part in Pirelli's choice.
"This weekend at Imola, there's going to be a lot to get used to in a short space of time," said Isola. "After travelling back from Portugal the teams have to cope with a new race weekend format and reduced practice time on what will be a brand new track for most of the drivers – although inadvertently, they practised this exact scenario at the Nurburgring recently.

"As you would expect on a circuit with so much history, Imola has an old-school feel to it like Mugello, and we believe that the drivers are going to love racing there. Finding the right set-up as quickly as possible is going to be key to success, as the technical nature of the track means that a number of important compromises have to be made, so it's always tricky to find the right balance.

"Overtaking could be quite tricky and the weather at this time of year is unpredictable, so strategy is set to play an important role – but that strategy has to be flexible enough to adapt itself to changing circumstances," he said.
Last edited by Everso Biggyballies 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

Imola used to be about having a car that was good on the kerbs. If you couldn't hit those kerbs then you would give away so much time.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

F1TV doesn't seem to be working. Anyone got a link for FP1 stream?
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Antonov wrote: 3 years ago F1TV doesn't seem to be working. Anyone got a link for FP1 stream?
There is nothing on tonight.(today for you) As has been mentioned many times in the thread with a timetable as well it is a 2 day meeting with 1 practice session only, so P1 and qualifying tomorrow with the race on Sunday.

Im sure I will get used to the 2 day concept but not sure how the teams will cope with it. A new track to all intents and purposes and no real set up time. I guess the Sim drivers are as I type cranking out endless laps of Imola on their sims, replicating all the quirks of the track and refining what the teams will run with in P1 tomorrow.

Anyway here is the schedule for the action. Local Imola times.

Saturday 31OCT Practice
10:00 - 11:30.

Saturday 31 OCT. Qualifying
14:00 - 15:00

Sunday 01 NOV. Race
13:10 - 15:10

SBan83

Post by SBan83 »

I started watching F1 in earnest in 2000 and my standout Imola memory from the modern era is Schumacher driving Montoya off the track at the Tosa hairpin in 2003 when Montoya was almost done completing an incredible outside pass on him.

A few races later in that season, at the Nurburgring hairpin, Montoya knew what to expect from the dirty bugger and ensured Schumacher came out on the short end of the stick this time. :twothumbs:

It's fascinating to me that the outside pass as a concept was alien to F1 drivers for the longest time. In 1978, or was it 77, when Mario Andretti, another driver experienced in the outside pass thanks to IndyCar experience like Montoya, went to the outside of James Hunt in Tarzanbocht. Hunt tried to drive Mario off the track just like Schumacher did to Montoya in the above example and the two collided, putting Hunt out of the running. He then stormed over to Colin Chapman and said "We don't pass around the outside in F1". :haha:

Now of course, it's commonplace in F1, more so due to DRS allowing even plebs like Stroll to get a run on the outside of somebody as opposed to superior race craft.
Antonov
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Post by Antonov »

in Michael's defence: Imola was hard but fair defensive driving.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Antonov wrote: 3 years ago in Michael's defence: Imola was hard but fair defensive driving.
Absolute cock.... he ran Montoya clean off the track, leaving no space for JPM's car fully alongside. And then gave a bullshit I did not see him story. He obviously had his eyes closed. At best unsportsmanlike behaviour but more like absolutely reckless. Of course Michael was hardly known for sportsmanlike behaviour

Circuitmaster
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Post by Circuitmaster »

Montoya said you're either blind or stupid.. or something along those lines. I liked Montoya.

My memories of Imola for the few grand Prix I watched in my youth was that it was an average circuit. In my mind back then most circuits were of a similar quality with a couple of exceptions. Spa and Montreal were good, Hungary, Many Cours and Catalunya were bad. Monaco was something different completely. The rest were just tracks of an undefined quality. I suppose you can put that down to the innocence of youth.

Honestly though, this track will be a little different, and as such I expect the teams to be kept on their toes, especially with a two day weekend. Variety is what we need, more than tilkedromes with certified guaranteed overtaking spots. I'll take Imola over Shanghai any day, even if it does mean that they can't pass.. and besides, it might lead to some fun lunges.
Guess the pole champion 2014
Guess the pole champion 2015
Guess the pole accuracy champion 2015
John
Ultimate Member
Ultimate Member

Post by John »

Special helmet for Gasly this weekend. Would love to see someone have Ronald's helmet design as well.
2018 GTP Accuracy champion.

CEREAL IS A SOUP.
Vassago
Favourite Motorsport: Formula 1, IndyCar
Favourite Driver: Senna, Clark, Montoya
Favourite Circuit: Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Post by Vassago »

I still remember Imola without all the chicanes. Races in the late 90s after the changes were still okay. It was only the 2000s that really dropped the ball and made it clear this track is no longer suitable for F1 - it became Catalunya's twin brother that needed to go.

2001 was the last okayish race and 2006 was the one where Alonso couldn't pass Schumacher no matter what IIRC?
07.04.1968 - Flower of Scotland when will we see your like again?
01.05.1994 - We'll never forget...
erwin greven
Staff
Staff
Favourite Motorsport: Endurance Racing
Favourite Racing Car: Lancia Delta 038 S4 Group B
Favourite Driver: Ronnie Peterson
Favourite Circuit: Nuerburgring Nordschleife
Car(s) Currently Owned: Peugeot 206 SW Air-Line 3 2007

Post by erwin greven »

2005 and 2006 were pretty much the same. The chasing car not being able to pass the leader.

2004 Schumacher - Montoya

2005 Alonso - Schumacher

2006 Schumacher - Alonso
Brian Redman: "Mr. Fangio, how do you come so fast?" "More throttle, less brakes...."
DoubleFart
Elite Member
Elite Member
Favourite Motorsport: F1

Post by DoubleFart »

I love that helmet. I'd certainly look at a Roland one if I were racing.
Gavle Yule Goat Predictor 2018, 2019 and 2021 Champion
MonteCristo wrote: 2 years agoVettel: Not a fan at all on track. But off track, good guy.
Everso Biggyballies
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

John wrote: 3 years ago
Special helmet for Gasly this weekend. Would love to see someone have Ronald's helmet design as well.
I was trying to think who the hell is Ronald? And then the penny dropped..... you mean Roland (Ratzenberger.) :wink:
I agree re it would be nice to see his helmet recreated in a tribute, and sadly his death is often overlooked in people's memories of 'that' weekend because of the status of Senna.

MonteCristo
Favourite Motorsport: Openwheel
Favourite Racing Car: Tyrrell P34/Protos
Favourite Driver: JV
Favourite Circuit: Road America

Post by MonteCristo »

Antonov wrote: 3 years ago in Michael's defence: Imola was hard but fair defensive driving.
Absolute cock.... he ran Montoya clean off the track, leaving no space for JPM's car fully alongside. And then gave a bullshit I did not see him story. He obviously had his eyes closed. At best unsportsmanlike behaviour but more like absolutely reckless. Of course Michael was hardly known for sportsmanlike behaviour
Oh but he gave him half a curb of room! :nah:

And yes, given that Montoya was actually ahead of him under braking into the corner... lol.
Oscar Piastri in F1! Catch the fever! Vettel Hate Club. Life membership.

2012 GTP Non-Championship Champion | 2012 Guess the Kai-Star Half Marathon Time Champion | 2018 GTP Champion | 2019 GTP Champion